Awoo.

‘Sonic The Hedgehog 3’ declared saved from box office disappointment thanks to Disney’s huge reshuffle

sonicclaasic

spacer.png

It looks like Sonic 3 has sent Avatar 3 running for the hills. Originally, both movies were set to release on Dec. 20, 2024. Now, after a massive Disney/Marvel reshuffle, Avatar 3 has been pushed back to Dec. 19, 2025, and fans think it’s due to the fact that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie franchise has been gaining some serious traction in recent years and James Cameron feels threatened.

Obviously, that’s likely not the case, but it does seem a little coincidental, doesn’t it? The first Sonic the Hedgehog movie walked away with over $300 million at the box office, whereas the sequel made over $400 million. And the numbers are only predicted to climb from there, especially as Sonic 2‘s mid-credits scene introduced Shadow, the counterpart to Sonic. Since Shadow will likely be the main focus of Sonic 3, fans are bound to be flocking to the theaters. Shadow the Hedgehog debuted in Sonic Adventure 2, which was intended to be his only appearance, but fans were so enamored by him that developers Sonic Team decided to reintroduce him in Sonic Heroes.

Ever since, Shadow has made a massive impact in the Sonic the Hedgehog universe. After the introduction of Tails and Knuckles, one might have expected Shadow to appear soon enough, but maybe not as early as the threequel. The mid-credits scene for Sonic 2 ended up leaking online during the move’s theatrical run and damn near broke the internet, so Avatar 3 should certainly be quaking in its alien boots. But the most hilarious part about all of this are the fan reactions, which are making light-hearted jokes about Avatar stepping down from the 2024 release window.

View Full Story

I wasn't sure to post It here as news because I can't post In the Sonic Chat section as It's not visible to me yet.

• Promotion 2

If I'm not mistaken... haven't all the Avatar movies been hit with a major delay at one point or another? I mean... we should have saw it coming.

And let this be yet another lesson why you don't plan your releases against what other people may be doing 1.5 years from now. Stuff changes and dates slide. Let it play out. It shows confidence in your product.

The only downside is that now Marvel’s Thunderbolts has taken that December 20th, 2024 spot. So unfortunately Sonic still has competition on that day.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

The only downside is that now Marvel’s Thunderbolts has taken that December 20th, 2024 spot. So unfortunately Sonic still has competition on that day.

Sonic Vs Anti Hero Comic Book Movie?

6259a620b196b.jpeg

BRING IT ON! Three for three! Three for three!

• Chuckle 3

You mean Disney's punk-ass saw what Sonic did to Morbius and Birds of Prey and went running.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 2

I actually figured Avatar would beat out Sonic 3, but it looks like I didn’t give Sonic enough credit.

Thunderbolts is no competition for Sonic.  Plus, we're in an era where Marvel movies aren't guaranteed money makers anymore...look what happened to Ant-Man and the most recent Disney movies.  The only Marvel movies to make ANY money were all Spider-Man and those were Sony productions and perhaps Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.3.  All the other recent stuff that wasn't a holdover like Eternals, Shang-Chi and most recently, Ant-Man did not make money for Disney.  Furthermore, the major video game properties under Nintendo and Sega are getting the goodwill that Disney used to have and no longer does.   Mario made over a billion dollars and Sonic 3 is surely posed to do better than Sonic 2 given how well the past two have done with audiences.  I could see it doing at least half a billion easily(though I'm sure Paramount is looking for Sonic to do better). Sonic will be fine.  Marvel, not so much at least for a GOOD while until they get some cohesive direction with their story again or pull off some miracle.  They don't have anyone like the Russos or James Gunn to save them anymore creatively.

15 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Thunderbolts is no competition for Sonic.  Plus, we're in an era where Marvel movies aren't guaranteed money makers anymore...look what happened to Ant-Man and the most recent Disney movies.  The only Marvel movies to make ANY money were all Spider-Man and those were Sony productions and perhaps Guardians of The Galaxy Vol.3.  All the other recent stuff that wasn't a holdover like Eternals, Shang-Chi and most recently, Ant-Man did not make money for Disney.  Furthermore, the major video game properties under Nintendo and Sega are getting the goodwill that Disney used to have and no longer does.   Mario made over a billion dollars and Sonic 3 is surely posed to do better than Sonic 2 given how well the past two have done with audiences.  I could see it doing at least half a billion easily(though I'm sure Paramount is looking for Sonic to do better). Sonic will be fine.  Marvel, not so much at least for a GOOD while until they get some cohesive direction with their story again or pull off some miracle.  They don't have anyone like the Russos or James Gunn to save them anymore creatively.

I thought that James Gunn directed Guardians of the Galaxy 3?

14 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I thought that James Gunn directed Guardians of the Galaxy 3?

He did, it was his last one though (and delayed by about 3 years I think) so going forward Disney won’t be able to rely on his input/talent.