Awoo.

'Mortal Kombat 1' Announced (PC, PS5, Switch, XBox Series X/S)

DaBigJ

https://www.engadget.com/mortal-kombat-1-reboots-the-series-on-september-19th-132434266.html

The next Mortal Kombat game might not be what you expect. NetherRealm and WB Games have unveiled Mortal Kombat 1, a "reborn" take on the series that promises new fighting mechanics and game modes. While most details are under wraps, you'll see many well-known characters as well as "Kameo Fighters" to help you mid-battle. And yes, the gore remains intact — as the teaser trailer below indicates, you can expect plenty of fatalities.

Mortal Kombat 1 arrives September 19th for PC (via Epic and Steam), PS5, Switch and Xbox Series X/S. Pre-order customers get access to a beta in August. A $110 digital Premium Edition will offer early access to the game (September 14th), a Johnny Cage skin made to resemble actor Jean-Claude Van Damme and early access to playable characters and Kameo Fighters when they arrive post-launch. If you're truly devoted, a $250 physical Kollector's Edition will include a 16.5-inch Liu Kang sculpture as well as a matching in-game skin, art prints and a special case.

The reboot is in line with the ending of Mortal Kombat 11 and its Aftermath add-on. However, it's also clearly positioned as an opportunity to rethink the gameplay and story. It's just a question of how much has changed. Not that this reinvention comes as much of a shock given what rivals are doing — Capcom is also shaking up its formula with the World Tour mode in Street Fighter 6.

So this is happening. I think it's a good idea to reboot MK, especially after 11, but I really think 'MK1' is a dumb title lol. Still, I'll probably keep my eyes out on this

• My Emmerdoods 2

Woah! That trailer was BANANAS! I have to say, to my great shame I missed out on the last gen's worth of Mortal Kombat games, so seeing Liu Kang established as a God right there was a huge surprise (or maybe it was a surprise to everyone else as well lol, I don't know what I've missed!!!). Those fatalities look brutal, holy shit.

I've always had a soft spot for MK as a fighting series over the others, was just way more accessible to me, so I may have to make some time for this when it comes out.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the elaborate MK timeline at this point for the new game to just be Mortal Kombat 1, but the story has never really been the main draw for me. I look forward to all the gross new ways to end fools!

38 minutes ago, PinkFloydMania said:

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in the elaborate MK timeline at this point...

Loooong story short, the last game ended with the evil Goddess of Time defeated and Liu Kang taking her place, rebooting the timeline.

I kinda respect Mortal Kombat for being a Fighting Franchise with a pretty robust World Building, but at the same time, they are bloody Fatality guys. Karnage with K. Juvenile gore. And they are sticking to this. So they really should aim for something campy and intentionally silly, not serious or epic.

On the other topic, I'm disappointed they are going for a super-realistic look again, wasting the opportunity to try something new with the reboot. Disappointed, but not surprised.

That trailer looks awesome I enjoyed the last Mortal Kombat game MK11. I'm looking forward to this one as well. I remember way back playing the very first MK game on the Sega Mega Drive such a classic game It was back then.

And I love watching the 90's MK films as well and the techno music (electronic dance music)

The test your might Soundtrack from the film Is my favourite track of all time.

Edited by sonicclaasic

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

On the other topic, I'm disappointed they are going for a super-realistic look again, wasting the opportunity to try something new with the reboot. Disappointed, but not surprised.

I agree. When most games take the realism route, they all tend to look the damn same. I also loved how dumb the franchise could be. I had heard reports of developers getting PTSD due to looking up real gore for the sake of references when making MK11 which is beyond fucked up. They're still locking a character that is available at launch behind DLC exclusive for those that preorder the game. (In this day and age, it is very risky to preorder any game when the chances of you paying full price for an unfinished one has become common place. I'd advise everyone against preordering ever again.)

I'm curious about Street Fighter 6 so I finally decided to check out the demo. The game already seems to do a lot with being able to create your own character and play through a story mode with them. Yet the game costs less then MK1. I'd expect MK1 to give a heck of a lot of content in the game to justify the price increase, it's too early to know if it does yet.

But considering how awful the writing of the stories have been in past MK games, I don't expect anything good from them this time either. They don't even keep character back story consistent. I'm looking at you, Sindel!

I only liked the franchise because of the characters. The games don't seem to cater to us anymore. But if you like MK for the gore, you'll get everything you ever wanted and more.

I'm probably in the very small minority who play MK for the story. Granted the story hasn't been amazing or anything in a while. Not a fan of fighting games for the most part but MK has a special place in my heart. 

Saying that though, not a fan of locked-off DLC characters as Pre-order bonuses and similar scummy stuff, so I'll likely just wait for the "Komplete Edition" with all DLC and fighters. Not that I ever play as them all as it gets boring quickly obtaining every characters endings in Arcade mode. Kinda wish they would bring back mini-games like Chess Kombat and Puzzle Kombat to add some fun downtime between all the fighting without leaving the game to play another game.