Awoo.

Rovio has delisted Angry Birds Classic.....again.

DaBigJ

Wait. They're delisting it because it was making their other games look bad??

I thought by 'negative impact' they meant that they borked the original game code or something and couldn't be bothered to fix it (I was thinking of about 10 years ago when SEGA delisted a bunch of critically non-acclaimed Sonic games - particularly on mobile - for the same reason). But that's mad.

I guess there isn't as much money in selling the classic Angry Birds game, when (I'm assuming) their newer titles have loads of microtransactions and other weird gacha stuff in it.

There's a lot of transactions in the newer games yeah, but the thing is this remake was a dollar. They'd still be making a ton of money regardless 

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Wait. They're delisting it because it was making their other games look bad??

I thought by 'negative impact' they meant that they borked the original game code or something and couldn't be bothered to fix it (I was thinking of about 10 years ago when SEGA delisted a bunch of critically non-acclaimed Sonic games - particularly on mobile - for the same reason). But that's mad.

I guess there isn't as much money in selling the classic Angry Birds game, when (I'm assuming) their newer titles have loads of microtransactions and other weird gacha stuff in it.

Classic is a one time low payment, people wouldn't post for it if it costed more. The F2P games take in more money from repeated transactions and ads than the paid game. Rovio are admitting that shamelessly, and therefore they're removing the paid version.

I hate the mobile gaming industry. Actually, I kind of hate almost the entire gaming industry.

• Thumbs Up 3

That's similar to what's happened with Epic and Unreal Tournament.

For those unaware, Unreal Tournament was the game from Epic Games before Fortnite. Not for less, it's called Unreal Engine (ok, technically it's because of the game that preceded Unreal Tournament).

Fast-forward to what really matters, Fortnite became big in the past 5 years or so, Epic games debunked the 4th game of the Unreal Tournament franchise soon after (it was being developed by Epic and fans), and this year Epic decided to simply remove all Unreal and Unreal Tournament entries from Steam and GOG Galaxy (which is a lot ironic, assuming their initial big franchise never went to their own store) as well as killed all their official servers. The only way to play these games now is by buying second hand copies, or sailing the seas... All this because (likely) one has micro-transitions and all other not.

Which (to somewhat a reverse extent) is happening to Angry Birds.

I don't know much about people here, and I don't want to get too off-topic, but IMO, it's one of those games which really kick-started a whole new world of mobile games: Angry Birds, Paper Toss, Doodle Jump, Flow Free, Fruit Ninja, Gravity Guy and even Sonic Dash were one of a kind which I think will take a loooong time until we see so many great games again.

But yeah... wasn't Angry Birds itself a shameless clone of a Flash game? It wouldn't be much of a surprise if Rovio was a bit of an asshole, unfortunately.

I made sure to pick it up just before it was yanked. Hadn't touched it since the PSP port well over a decade ago. Pretty laughable that they said the quiet part out loud instead of just lying and saying there was a compatibility issue or something.