Awoo.

Hiding Tabs

DaBigJ

I was recommended making this into a feedback topic, so here I go.

There's definitely a lot more organization going into the site lately, and showing general activities in topics with latest posts and what's new in terms of news. These are definitely welcomed additions and I greatly appreciate them.

However, I feel like there's a bit of sensory overload and a touch of clutter on the screen as there's so much to look at, so I would like to make a suggestion to add in the ability to close each section into tabs like how you can with the General and Sonic Stadium topic sections. Below is a mock up of what I mean:

image.thumb.png.33c2dc23499101a8648e328b88db8b43.png

Implementing this would allow members to have a more focused experience depending on what they'd want to see and what they'd like to ignore.

Hopefully this will be a feature soon.

Rather than make a separate thread I'd like to add onto this one - it'd be nice to blacklist topics from appearing in the Latest Forum Activity and Latest Community Posts tabs (which... appear to be redundant? These two are displaying the exact same content for me right now).  I liked these at first, but now that I'm having posts about Zelda (which I've stopped watching trailers for and would like to know as little as possible about going in) thrown in my face from a topic that was simple enough to just not click on before, they're causing a bit of an issue for me.

Sonic games are one thing, but if I'm having to avoid the site for fear of spoilers for any game/media yet to come out that happens to have a thread here, the forum will basically become unusable for me.

For consideration as well: Do these tabs have any way of knowing what is and isn't an unmarked spoiler thread?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just going to echo this. I'm finding the entire "latest forum activity" section to be very overbearing. It takes up a whole lot of space of mobile, coming after community highlights but before the more important news and status updates sections. It seems like it's just full of duplicate threads half the time in whichever threads are most active. Lots of Ken Penders, Zelda and RP showing up there. 

Yeah it's looking equally packed on desktop tbh. I think there's a lot of needless doubling up that's making the whole thing look cluttered.

I think a big help would be removing the  "Latest Community posts" from the sidebar. Having the sidebar just for news headlines and the status updates would stop it feeling like the entire screen is trying to throw key information at you.

The "Latest Forum" activity section is also ridiculously big, and if you're not interested in the topics being discussed that's a giant thing taking up the homepage. At the very least, all of the forum tabs should have a toggle arrow. The Discussion Forum and Sonic Stadium tabs have it but not the others when really, if anything, it should be the other way around. Atm it's in an unusual state where I can hide all the Sonic forums if I want, but can't hide the giant tab that's potentially filled with entirely non Sonic/SEGA stuff.

Right, so it isn't just me, then. I thought I was seeing double. If we need both, I'd appreciate an option to at least hide them. There's also the annoyance that everything is bumped, even things like RPs which I'm really not interested in taking up space on the home page. 

Thanks for all the feedback - the intention behind a lot of this stuff is to drive, make visible and encourage more forum activity (over things like status updates, which is useful for throwaway comments but users tend to be using in place of forums for full-on discussion).

I can remove the additional Community Posts widget on the sidebar, I agree that it's too much there. As for hiding tabs, this is something I will look into but is not a currently-supported feature in this website's software. Might have to be something we wait for a code update for.

The Community Activity box appears to have gone some way to encourage more post activity, so I won't get rid of it quite yet. There's an opportunity to design it differently though so it looks a bit neater, I can look into that for sure.

By the way, RP topics should only be visible if you're a member of the relative RP Club. If you don't want to see updates on that, then consider leaving the Club.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not a member of any RP clubs. At the very least, I've never intentionally joined them. I'm not sure why they're showing up in the activity feed. 

2 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Hmm, that's weird. I'll see what's going on there, shouldn't be happening.

If I understand correctly, the "latest community posts" tab should only be showing stuff we follow or are a part of, correct?

9 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

If I understand correctly, the "latest community posts" tab should only be showing stuff we follow or are a part of, correct?

No, it is pulling from all forums.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 10:35 AM, Dreadknux said:

Hmm, that's weird. I'll see what's going on there, shouldn't be happening.

I'm also seeing RP posts show up in the latest posts tab even though I never joined any group