Awoo.

SEGA and Yoko Taro Presents: 404 Game Re:set (IOS,Android) || what.

DaBigJ

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sega-and-yoko-taros-404-game-reset-reimagines-sega-games-as-women/

Teased earlier in the week, the mobile title reimagines classic Sega games as attractive women, who represent an evil version of Sega.

In a trailer for the game, a narrator refers to “a distorted world where Sega reigns at the top of the world and controls everything”.

He continues: “This is due to the power of the girls known as Cast, who were born when Sega gave its games an indentity. Players must get involved in the battle to restore the world that Sega continues to rule.”

The video shows examples of some of the game’s ‘Cast’ characters, which are human interpretations of such Sega IPs as After Burner, Out Run, Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter.

Yoko Taro, who serves as the game’s creative director, said: “It’s a game that features Sega’s IP, so I thought Sega should be in the game, but I didn’t think Sega would want to see a game that portrayed it well, so I portrayed it negatively.

“It’s a world that imagines that if things were to go well for Sega but then got out of control, it could end up like this.”

Sega has also launched a 404 Game Re:set Twitter account in which it’s also revealing some of the game’s lore.

In a tweet marked “sending resistance,” it states: “The Sega State is trying to deceive and control people. This account was opened to reveal the “truth”.

“I want to deliver the truth that Sega is hiding from the people to as many as possible. Please help spread the word. Let’s take back the original world from the Sega State.”

Players in Japan can pre-register for the game to receive gacha ‘gems’, and in an interview with Famitsu producer Gosuke Nakamura said there will be “many more” girls based on Sega titles, suggesting that players will be ‘collecting’ them.

It’s not yet known if the game will be released in the west.

So uh.....this is a thing.

I don't know what to say.

Just now, GX -The Spindash- said:

Who's ready for Alex Kidd as your new waifu!

Only if you're ready for Sonic the Waifu

Just now, DaBigJ said:

Only if you're ready for Sonic the Waifu

I mean, we're already there between Hatsune Miku and Korone.

Just now, GX -The Spindash- said:

I mean, we're already there between Hatsune Miku and Korone.

Oh no.

- but with Korone

Can't say I've ever seen a game corporate brave enough to portray themselves as a corrupt organization bent on plunging the world into dystopia and having to be overthrown

I don’t understand. But then, it’s Yoko Taro, so of course I don’t understand.

I just love the idea that, if SEGA hadn’t failed the console business, the alternate future is a world where there is an authoritarian ‘SEGA State’ lol.

What is it with SEGA and doing mad ‘retro x waifu’ projects? First there was that weird ‘SEGA Hard Girls’ thing and now this. Why won’t they let me enjoy things :ded:

Konami turned Bomberman into an anime girl ("Bombergirl").

There is a... thing about turning non-inanimate objects into anime girls (consoles, websites, etc). I believe this trend is called "gijinka".

And of course there was Bowsette, which kiiiinda counts.

Everything spirals towards Anime Waifu singularity. That's how the universe will end. Not with the bang. But with a "Kawai".

Or more of a "Moe~", but you're still pretty spot on.

As long as it doesn't turn out like "Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de/World War Blue", I think we'll be fine.

Eagerly waiting for the Beast King's Chronicle / Altered Beast girl. 

High hopes for that one 

On 2/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Waveshocker Sigma said:

So it's Hyperdimension Neptunia but Neptune's the bad guy. Got it.

I've heard the dialog in those games. Hyperdimension Neptunia has always been the bad guy.

"Boing! Boing! I'm a kangaroo!"

On 2/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, Dreadknux said:

I just love the idea that, if SEGA hadn’t failed the console business, the alternate future is a world where there is an authoritarian ‘SEGA State’ lol.

Personally i like the idea of SEGA not only being authoritarian in terms of games - i'd like to be authoritarian in terms of watching people and other businesses, say for example a combination of  Triage X - Darker than Black - Judge Dread

On 2/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, DaBigJ said:

We're gonna get Waifu versions of AiAi, Sonic and Alex Kidd and you all will like it

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Or like the internet hasn't already gone there.

• 8 months later...

Haha what a thread bump. One for the ages 🫡

It didn't even last nine months before this announcement, right?

• Thumbs Up 1