Awoo.

Crash Team Rumble (2023)

Jango

I honestly disagree that blockers aren’t good. I do think they can be frustrating if your team doesn’t help you, as while Dingo is strong, a few coordinated team ups, especially with power ups can easily put an end to your advantage. However, I think once you get used to them, they’re extreme fun. Not only can you pull off some very clutch plays with him (I had a game where I saved a loss when the other team was about to bank the last relics for the major power-up, i tanked the power up spot as Dingo and took three out), but like every other character, Dingo has more utility than simply attacking.

Dingo has easily the best range as a character, capable of stealing relics and Wumpa from far. I think Dingo really clicks when you use him as a Jack of all Trades, rather than just a tank for blocking banks. If your allies need extra muscle to cap a gem booster, rush over to them and help. If you have free time, use your range to bank relics quickly to get the extra power up. If things is getting to the wire, tank the bank or bonus power up, etc. When you start to really utilise his strengths, that’s when I feel like Dingo really shines as a character here.

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I honestly disagree that blockers aren’t good. I do think they can be frustrating if your team doesn’t help you, as while Dingo is strong, a few coordinated team ups, especially with power ups can easily put an end to your advantage. However, I think once you get used to them, they’re extreme fun. Not only can you pull off some very clutch plays with him (I had a game where I saved a loss when the other team was about to bank the last relics for the major power-up, i tanked the power up spot as Dingo and took three out), but like every other character, Dingo has more utility than simply attacking.

Dingo has easily the best range as a character, capable of stealing relics and Wumpa from far. I think Dingo really clicks when you use him as a Jack of all Trades, rather than just a tank for blocking banks. If your allies need extra muscle to cap a gem booster, rush over to them and help. If you have free time, use your range to bank relics quickly to get the extra power up. If things is getting to the wire, tank the bank or bonus power up, etc. When you start to really utilise his strengths, that’s when I feel like Dingo really shines as a character here.

That's fair. As I say, it could just be I wasn't utilising him correctly which just lead to my frustration after 3 or 4 battles using him. I actually went back to give it another go with Dingo earlier... but with no players active in my timezone after waiting a good 20 minutes I gave up. I suppose there's always practise matches against bots to try out.

• 4 weeks later...

-There will be a schedule for events and "limited time" game modes

-There might not be any voice acting(????)

-Level up to 15 in the full game

-Cross Play and Cross Progression confirmed, requires Activision account

-No PC port atm (ot Switch)

Also, of the hundred questions they've received, they picked this one to answer:

Thanks TFB! We’re so excited for Crash 5 and Spyro 4. 

I see what you did there 😄

Intriguing.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, Jango said:

Also classic Tawna:

As nothing more than a skin. So much for people suggesting Neo Tawna wasn't going to replace the original.

21 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

Lol

Is the game doing that poorly where shops are that desperate to get rid of it?

Well, Crash's revival was good while it lasted. So long sweet prince

@DaBigJI'm so sad Crash Team Rumble murdered your family, man.

In other news, for those who are enjoying the game and/or are also Spyro fans:

2 hours ago, Jango said:

@DaBigJI'm so sad Crash Team Rumble murdered your family, man.

Pretty sure that you've been told to knock this shit off before. Just because this thread is about Crash Bandicoot doesn't mean you need to post in it in the context of your head being so far up his ass that you can see through his teeth,

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Unamused 1

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Pretty sure that you've been told to knock this shit off before. Just because this thread is about Crash Bandicoot doesn't mean you need to post in it in the context of your head being so far up his ass that you can see through his teeth,

Maybe if you took a few minutes to read the thread, you might understand I was making a joke 🤷‍♂️ Context is good. Also, pretty sure you can write something without lowering the language to of a middle school child, right? 

12 hours ago, Jango said:

Maybe if you took a few minutes to read the thread, you might understand I was making a joke 🤷‍♂️ Context is good. Also, pretty sure you can write something without lowering the language to of a middle school child, right? 

If it was a joke then no one is laughing. You have to stop with this toxic positivity when it comes to Crash. Attacking everyone who disagree with you ain't working, hasn't worked, and never will.

If you come back and start this shit again you'll be out permanently. Consider this break your final warning.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Confused 1

On 6/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, DaBigJ said:

Lmao even

Would it be too soon for us to know what kind of sales numbers this game has?

I had also forgotten all about this game. Twice. Coming to this topic now, I've just learned for the first time that it is not available on the platforms I have access to.

I'd hate for the franchise to die again if this game fails, even though I'm convinced that Toys For Bob is full of Sadists, laughing at all those silly gamers that actually tried to 100% Crash 4....Y-Yeah, I tried to 100% 4....and failed... lol

Speaking of Crash 4, I was thinking that this game keeping the same visual style and characters from it, might also be a hindrance. I say that because it's very possible that I've seen many Crash Team Rumble screenshots, but shrugged them off, thinking they were from Crash 4.

I'd like to share one last thing, but I don't know if it means anything.

crash-team-rumble-twitch-less-than-30-viewers

I don't know if viewers of games being streamed, correlates to general interest in that title. I just stumpled across this article while I was confirming that I can't try the game.

14 minutes ago, Danj86 said:

I had also forgotten all about this game. Twice. Coming to this topic now, I've just learned for the first time that it is not available on the platforms I have access to.

To be honest, I also keep forgetting CTRumble has released -  although from my perspective I hold little value in getting it until it goes FTP or ends up on a subscription pass for Playstation Plus (inevitable) anyway.

I didn't have the compelled or vested interest in what the beta showed off personally as it wasn't really my sort of thing. But if more modes are added or the BattlePass rewards and unlocks improves (so I'm not paying for anything per season or initially  or both), then I might give it another try later down the line. 

7 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

If it was a joke then no one is laughing. You have to stop with this toxic positivity when it comes to Crash. Attacking everyone who disagrees with you ain't working, hasn't worked, and never will.

If you come back and start this shit again you'll be out permanently. Consider this break your final warning.

I'm going to go out on a limb & play devil's advocate here. 

To Jango’s defence, he’s not actually defending this game and has displayed dismay over CTRumble numerous times on the thread. But even then, you can remain positive or excited about upcoming updates whilst being aware of how poorly a title is being received. 

I won't comment on the joke made specifically (I’m guessing it crossed a line because of the actions taken), but I recognised that he meant it playfully / in jest because of how full on the negativity gets on the Crash threads 95% of the time. 

If anything, I think there’s actually a good case here to argue that the toxic negativity is stronger (often unnecessarily) and is enough to incite or provoke flaming or arguments. Jango was just reacting in a flippant way to that building influx. The choice of words used in his reaction is debatable - and if that was the issue then fair enough - but he’s not shilling CTRumble (or has his head up the mascots butthole) in this instance.

The bigger problem here is the labelling and misplaced assumption (which is causing additional aggravation IMO). Jango is double-downed on purely based on previous altercations from other Crash Bandicoot threads, and if that's the case then I don't think that's completely fair when those things are not even happening here. 

Jango has multiple strikes on his account that stretch back multiple years (that would be the "final warning" Stricker alluded to), has exhibited said behavior that were the cause of all of his strikes in this very way multiple times in the past and has an extensive history of snidely shilling for this franchise no matter the context and no matter how gentle the pushback against him is. "It's just a joke bro" doesn't work as a defense when it is indistinguishable from your normal behavior; and the person he responded to in the first place I can tell you for a fact didn't think Jango was joking either. Jango was lucky to begin with that him picking a fight with someone over some dumb shit regarding this series again didn't lead to him being banned in the first place since clearly he's incapable of not doing that (since, indeed, the initial moderator discussion was mostly confusion about how he hadn't already been banned by now when it was discovered how many strikes he that were all for the same thing), nevermind a week suspension he got when he trotted out the "lighten up" defense again to double down on his original post. 

The tl;dr for you, that I'll put as gently as possible, is don't comment on a situation like this if you don't know what you're talking about. If you have questions about such a thing all moderators and administrators have PM boxes. 

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

Jango has multiple strikes on his account that stretch back multiple years (that would be the "final warning" Stricker alluded to), has exhibited said behavior that were the cause of all of his strikes in this very way multiple times in the past and has an extensive history of snidely shilling for this franchise no matter the context and no matter how gentle the pushback against him is. "It's just a joke bro" doesn't work as a defense when it is indistinguishable from your normal behavior; and the person he responded to in the first place I can tell you for a fact didn't think Jango was joking either. Jango was lucky to begin with that him picking a fight with someone over some dumb shit regarding this series again didn't lead to him being banned in the first place since clearly he's incapable of not doing that (since, indeed, the initial moderator discussion was mostly confusion about how he hadn't already been banned by now when it was discovered how many strikes he that were all for the same thing), nevermind a week suspension he got when he trotted out the "lighten up" defense again to double down on his original post. 

The tl;dr for you, that I'll put as gently as possible, is don't comment on a situation like this if you don't know what you're talking about. If you have questions about such a thing all moderators and administrators have PM boxes. 

Righto, I gotcha.

Apologies for airing my particular grievance on the matter publicly in that case. As the rest of the convo was threaded out in the open I felt it was all pretty well-considered when I wrote my "in defence of..." piece at the time. 

I was mostly aware of the rest incidentally - but I guess I have an impartial stake here with Jango and often it gives me the impression his posts are misunderstood. I dunno. 

Regardless, I'll remember to PM the matter directly when I have a query next time for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, I probably could've made my own posts less obnoxious on my own end, so I apologize for the posts I made personally

• Thumbs Up 1

...To go back to the point of this topic, I've been putting a good amount of hours into Rumble with a full squad and it's been a heap of fun. I really think Rumble is one of those games that just...you need to actually play it for it to click. There's a difference between watching the gameplay, and being within the actual chaos of a match and making decisions on the fly about what to do, where to go, and how to utilise strengths to win matches. I've already platinumed both the PS4 and PS5 versions and am about halfway through the Battle Pass right now.

I really think it's a shame Rumble has had a bad hand dealt to it. Between bad marketing, gameplay that doesn't really translate too well to watching videos on it, meaning the positive views has to come from word of mouth or actually trying it for a bit rather than actually seeing it for yourself in videos, and the general concept that Crash and a multiplayer game should not mix.

I get we all have this image of what Crash as a franchise is, and how the current multiplayer landscape is crap, but it's a shame because Toys for Bob's usual quality does shine through here and the game is addicting and chaotic in a really good fun way that for the price point - can offer a heap of fun. I like that there's a method to the madness with this game, where the game can be chaotic and brawl-y, but if you're smart, you also start to realise different on the fly tactics for different maps or countering others - let it be teaming up with friends to take a blocker out, making smart decisions on which power up platforms are the right call in a given situation, etc. It's also good that the roles aren't inheritably trapped to their purpose either.

Dingo is a tank but excels at item collection, especially with relics, Crash's speed and belly flop can be devastatingly good for removing blockers off critical points, Cortex is surprisingly powerful in the right context, Coco and Tawna are really damn fast, Brio is good for general multipurpose protection, etc.

It's certainly not all perfect, there's character balance issues, there could definitely be more modes, the battle pass could be less grindy, and the bots are really damn stupid in this game, but it's definitely not some horrid, ugly stain on Crash's legacy or anything, it's a perfectly fun, if flawed MOBA game that sits pretty snugly into the other Crash spin-offs. If anything, I think Rumble's a particularly good one for properly translating the core Crash gameplay into a completely different context and making it work, instead of pulling a CTR or a Crash Bash, and basically plopping the cast into a different gameplay style altogether.

I don't know if it has the staying power or not or how long it'll last as a game, but I'm having fun with it, and I can't wait to see the Spyro cast added come Season 2, if leaks are true.

• Thumbs Up 1

We're getting Ripper Roo this week!

IMG_6987.png

More info

Ripper1.pngRipper2.png

Today, I'd like to more specifically share with you how Season 1 content will roll out - starting with a brand new, highly-anticipated hero: RIPPER ROO! This will be the first time we've ever experienced the big blue kangaroo as a fully playable, platforming character and he adds a completely different style of control – wild, out of control, but dangerous! With his giant feet, Ripper is able to kick his opponents and bounce around the map with extraordinary heights. Ripper gets around quickly and can summon a cannon to launch across the map to be an effective BLOCKER at multiple sites. He can also launch explosive bowling bombs or roll around on them like the world's most dangerous circus clown. I can't wait to see how you utilize him on your teams! Ripper Roo will first debut on Thursday, July 6th at 8 am PT.

I say "first debut" because Heroes (and Powers) in Crash Team Rumble will debut in two phases: 1) Early Access and 2) Full Release. On July 6th, a new Event will appear on the game's main screen called "Ripper's Lost It!". Lost what? Well, his marbles of course! During this weeklong event, if you can find and collect the in-world marbles scattered across the maps, you will earn exclusive rewards themed and tailored for Ripper Roo. If you collect enough marbles, you will unlock Early Access to Ripper Roo and you’ll be able to play as him from here on out! (And if you go above and beyond, you can unlock unique challenges and skins for Ripper - including my personal favorite, the “Professor” skin!)

If, for some reason, you missed the event or were unable to recover enough of Ripper's marbles before the event ends, fear not - Ripper will be made available to ALL players just two weeks after the event concludes and can be unlocked simply by completing a challenge from that point on. This way, players who showed up for the Early Access event are awarded a brief window of exclusivity AND we keep the game fair and make all gameplay-related content available to unlock simply by playing the game. I repeat: Ripper Roo is NOT for sale!

• Thumbs Up 1

“Ripper Roo is not for sale…”

…however to unlock him you still need to purchase the game and / or battle pass as it’s limited time only since he’s locked to a season which is subject to change.

Is how I read this.

But to be very honest I actually don’t really understand the monetisation system of this game or how the battle pass operates. 

I understand you have to buy the game, I understand this includes a season (or two?) of Battlepasses, after of which you then have to pay for each season after (Ala - Fortnite).

But going off the beta test, are the new characters added just included in there for free to unlock via challenges whenever they update the game? As in… these aren’t tied to the battlepass? The battlepasses are just cosmetics from what I understand? Not new characters I think? 

That being said, the game still needs more modes to entice me to purchase (or just go F2P). The gameplay loop was fine in itself, but I got bored pretty quickly despite the renewed carnage each battle, so additional maps and characters won’t change this for me unless there are other things I can do outside the 4v4 multiplayer aspect. I can see how it’s fun, but don’t feel it myself. 

Of course if that’s the point and that’s all there is then it just means the game isn’t for me at this stage. 

Still a shame this couldn’t have been a multiplayer mode to Crash 4 (or a cheap little DLC add on). 

3 hours ago, Sonicka said:

But going off the beta test, are the new characters added just included in there for free to unlock via challenges whenever they update the game? As in… these aren’t tied to the battlepass? The battlepasses are just cosmetics from what I understand? Not new characters I think? 

Yes, pretty much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, that’s actually better than how CTR: NF handled it (characters rotating in and out of the shop, or only unlockable on BP).

That’s a positive step forwards if new characters that DO affect gameplay stay in the base game to unlock without time constraints. 

What they could do to sweeten this is ensure all seasonal battlepass content is free rather than paid considering you’ve bought the game for very little content anyway. I think that’s one of the few things CTR: NF got right as (despite time limitations) there was so much free content per GP season, or at least - a new track and gameplay play modes added. 

There’s no shop (yet) I’m guessing for additional purchases to this game right now? I imagine that will happen once the first few battlepasses expire to give players a chance to grab old skins. 

8 hours ago, Sonicka said:

Ok, that’s actually better than how CTR: NF handled it (characters rotating in and out of the shop, or only unlockable on BP).

That’s a positive step forwards if new characters that DO affect gameplay stay in the base game to unlock without time constraints. 

What they could do to sweeten this is ensure all seasonal battlepass content is free rather than paid considering you’ve bought the game for very little content anyway. I think that’s one of the few things CTR: NF got right as (despite time limitations) there was so much free content per GP season, or at least - a new track and gameplay play modes added. 

There’s no shop (yet) I’m guessing for additional purchases to this game right now? I imagine that will happen once the first few battlepasses expire to give players a chance to grab old skins. 

Challenges are for a character’s early access plus a barrage of cosmetics and stuff for them to use, then once the early access period passes, they’re added to the regular character select for everyone to use.

As it stands, there’s no microtransactions whatsoever - the first premium battle pass was given for free to everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Challenges are for a character’s early access plus a barrage of cosmetics and stuff for them to use, then once the early access period passes, they’re added to the regular character select for everyone to use.

As it stands, there’s no microtransactions whatsoever - the first premium battle pass was given for free to everyone.

And hopefully, it will stay that way.

There are other ways they could incorporate owning battle pass items for those that missed out on seasonal content (much they like have proved with the characters & cosmetics) from the sounds of it. 

But it will be interesting to see how much they charge for future BP's... especially since the first is "free". Hopefully, it won't be anything as then it justifies value in spending out on the base game.

Battle passes are IMO something that should only be applied to F2P titles really, as it's then at your digression to opt in or out because you haven't put money down on anything initially anyway. BP's in paid titles feel very icky to me for time-gatekeeping content in something you've spent money on already.