Awoo.

The Sonic Database is NOW OPEN

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into The Sonic Database is NOW OPEN at some point.

I can vouch for the length of time this has been in the oven. I'm really excited to have been a small part of this and I also hope we can really beef up the database to be a definitive resource for Sonic information.

We definitely need SSMB'ers to pitch in for this, though. It's a lot of work and we have a lot of ground to cover. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s going to be a marathon, not a sprint, that’s for sure! I’m going to spend some time over the next week or so just adding new entries and some bits that I have left over from TSS’ old 2000-2010s archives. But yes, generally this is going to need a big effort from the whole Sonic community to get things to the quality we need. :) 

I can already see some contributions coming in, and I thank you guys for that! Over time we can develop and add to all of the records we create so they can be as full of information as possible.

This seems like a neat addition to the site, and despite it looking initially somewhat opposing, it’s actually pretty simple enough to get to grips with and make database records. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to add a image to the right side of a record (Where there’s currently a default Sonic picture).

That said, if I could make a suggestion, would it be possible to bring over the option to adjust pictures from profile banners/event banners? I notice that a lot of the banner images when you go into a record is misaligned and there’s no way of adjusting it like you can for other such things on the site.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The only thing I can’t figure out is how to add a image to the right side of a record (Where there’s currently a default Sonic picture)

That’s actually what we call the Hero Card (the image field that is above the STATS Box text field). You can use that for uploading an image to sit above the Stats Box area. It’ll only show if there is content in the Stats Box field though. If you can’t see the field, I may have messed up in the visibility permissions on the field. I’ll take a look.

This is probably a good time to mention the documentation I’ve written up for this project, it mentions all of the structural things Sonic Database offers as well as best practices. Worth giving it a look for all who want to contribute:

https://board.sonicstadium.org/database/guidance/

Good suggestion as well! I am unsure I can make that work for the Pages area as of yet but I do like the idea and I’ll try to make it happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

That’s actually what we call the Hero Card (the image field that is above the STATS Box text field). You can use that for uploading an image to sit above the Stats Box area. It’ll only show if there is content in the Stats Box field though. If you can’t see the field, I may have messed up in the visibility permissions on the field. I’ll take a look.

Yeah, I can see the default image within the Hero Card, but there's no options in it to try to add a image to it. So while info can be added to the STATS box, it doesn't seem like a image can be added, unless you just embed or upload the image like a normal picture.

Just checked the field settings and yeah it wasn’t visible for anyone besides Admins on the edit page. I’ve tweaked it and it should be fixed now. Sorry about that!

• Thumbs Up 1

All good now, was able to add hero card images to the records with no issues. Cheers Dread. 

So question:

Anyone can edit these, right? Or can only the person who made the article do so? I put in a few contributions just to get a few started, but I made them sparse because I didn't want to come off as plagerizing other wikis which basically provided the same info.

Wouldn't mind others adding to them so that SSMB has it's own distinctness to the database.

EDIT: Nevermind, that was a dumbass question. Forget I asked...XD

Haha, yeah anyone with the ‘Sonic Community’ usergroup can edit all articles in the system. It’s all in the documentation :) 

You’re fine to kick off small records and invite others to contribute to it; I will look to adding a toggle on the edit page to mark a record as a ‘stub’ so that a message appears like how it works on Wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...