Awoo.

Genshin Impact Megathread

Drisaac

Before starting off this thread I would like to make some premises:

First of all, I would like to apologize in advance to the Admins/Moderators if this thread breaks either one or both of the following rules:

1) If this thread is a duplicate one.
I tried to use the search function of the forum to check whether there were already threads dedicated to either Genshin Impact itself or Gacha games in general, but I wasn't able to find neither of those two things, so I can only assume that there are no duplicate Genshin-related threads on the forum.

2) If this thread is not allowed as for the section rules.

The title of this section of the forum is named "Video Games" and there doesn't seem to be any hidden implications that it doesn't allow other types of games, such as gacha ones.

The description goes "Rant and Rave about your favorite computer games and consoles" Which could potentially exclude Genshin Impact from the list since it was born as a mobile/phone one. But the fact that the game was also released on PS4/5 could be used as a loophole as to why this thread should be allowed here, not that I hope we'll have to get to that point.

With that being said, I would now like to explain why I created this thread:

What is the purpose of this thread ?

It honestly surprised me to see how there was no Genshin Impact thread onto this forum, considering how popular the game has become and it continues to grow more and more with each day, so I thought to myself: Well I may as well do it myself right ?

So I decided to create this megathread in order to discuss anything related to Genshin Impact: the action roleplay videogame created by Hoyoverse, formerly known as Mihoyo.

All discussions pertaining Genshin Impact, such as story, gameplay, guides or even leaks are allowed here, starting from patch 3.0 (the one we are currently on) all the way to the end of the game.

In order to "kickstart" this thread I would like to start off with the latest livestream, which went in great depth about everything we should expect to see in patch 3.1:

A quick summary from the livestream:

-The desert area of Sumeru will finally be available to be explored, which will include not only sand but also ancient ruins and beautiful architecture.

-The new archon story quests will always feature the return of long-awaited antagonists such as Scaramouche and Dottore, two members of the Fatui Harbingers.

-Cyno, Candace and Nilou will be the newly released characters in this patch and will get their own dedicated banners in it, alongside the return of older characters such as Venti and Albedo (note: Candace is a 4 star character that will be available to obtain only within Cyno's and Venti's banners.)

-The main event of the patch, Of Ballads And Brews, will a Monstadt-themed event that will feature not only plenty of minigames where players can earn bountiful rewards, but will also focus on Razor's origins.

I think it should be enough for now, I'm eager to see how this thread will evolve over the course of time.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Technically Inept

• Drisaac

I have an idea of why there wasn't a thread and why this one died immediately. There simply is no interest. lol

Might seem kind of weird, but the first thing I searched up on here last night when i was seriously considering joining was in fact Genshin impact. I have some pretty tightly held views on the game after spending a long enough time on it to reach AR56 on two accounts.

And those views are not exactly positive. To give you an idea, Genshin was my second rpg, and the first open world game I actually "owned." And when I reflect on my experiences with it, I at times feel like never playing an open world or rpg type game ever again.

I have so many issues with that game, from the combat to the writing to the puzzle design to the "progression" systems (which does include the gacha, but is IN NO WAY limited to it). The only aspect I think the game actually does decent in is the aesthetic design, that is how some of the environments of the world look visually. Outside of that however and yper specific self-imposed challenges I might take on at times, i don't really enjoy the game much at all. And I continue to tleave the game for extended periods of times. (I don't even know how many times I have activated "Stellar Reunion." )

• 1 month later...

I doubt anyone is going to see this anyway. So I might as well. (I'm really bored, these days.) Going to elaborate on why I don't think this game is very good. Though it being a gacha game does contribute to that, it is not the main reason or even one of the bigger reasons.

First of all, the story is not exactly compelling. There is very little sense of actual tension most of the time. In fact, any sense of urgency or any sense of danger that something resembling a threat could evoke is often completely ruined by a focus on what can only be called filler and EXTREMELY boring, drawn out dialogue.

The characters themselves also kind of suck. With rare exceptions in people like Itto, they don't tend to have much in the way of charm or wit about them. In fact, if you ask me, most of them have no appeal at all except maybe being pretty, perfect "waifus and husbandos" if you're into that sort of thing.

Besides not being particularly likable, I want to say that they're not even that particularly interesting. However, that might simply be because the story of the game often doesn't focus on any aspect of them that could be interesting, like an arc or personal struggle.

Like, there is a storyline in the game that's supposed to be centered around a character named "Ganyu." It can LITERALLY be summed up as

Ganyu - "No one likes me!"

The People in Question - "Wait what? What are you even talking about?"

Ganyu - "Huh. I guess they DO like me. Thanks, main character!"

What?

What is that? And there's another one for a guy named Childe where you literally babysit for almost the entire quest.

I...

Huh?

Sometimes, they KIND OF try. (Shenhe's role in the Liyue archon quest and Raiden Act II comes to mind) But for the most part, I truly mean it when I say that I get more enjoyment from memes about these characters than I do from seeing them in the actual story.

The world design is not much better.

It looks pretty. But if you're going to try and go for higher exploration percentage (which is a terrible concept in itself that gamifies something that should feel natural and creates internal pressure to grind something that should feel like a release) it's going to just feel tedious.

Because instead of naturally discovering exciting, unique, and challenging puzzles throughout the world to engage with, for the most part they instead take some mindless and straight forward puzzles and copy and paste them all over the map.

it's filler. At first it can be kind of fun and relaxing, but it's filler. And eventually, you're probably going to get sick of it. But at least it's not the only thing there is to do in the world. There are still combat encounters right?

Yep. And the combat sucks.

"Optimal" play does not take (or allow) for much thought or experimentation. (Though that might be partially influenced by how much you interact with the community)

Also, I almost find it amusing than in a game called Genshin IMPACT it feels like a majority of the moves you can perform in combat LACK impact. The game feel is just...

It's not there. And you know what else is not here?

Tension.

So many of these enemies take six years to hit you (only to miss. You know what I am talking about if you have ever played as Beidou) The only way to feel challenged at all is to take specific challenges upon yourself like, for example, dropping everyone from your party except one character, especially leaving behind healers and those who can take advantage of the overpowered shield system.

Except, that's a terrible idea. Especially if you're exploring the world.

For one thing, if you just leave a character whose strength is sharpshooting, know that a lot of people are coming out without weakpoints. So that's an entire playstyle (one of the most fun ones, I might add) that just got dropped.

For another thing, a lot of new guys like to fly around everywhere, so if you chose a melee ranged character the game's going to basically laugh at you.

But worst of all is the elemental shield system.

I can get making an element more effective against a type of shield...

But maybe chill a little bit with just how much of a disadvantage other elements or even the same element is against that type of shield?

Like, let's just say you come across a Cryo (ice) abyss mage. If you have an ice character, when they put up their shield, you basically can't do anything to them. (This is literal, depending on your characters' weapon class.)

Actually, if you are any element other than fire, you're likely going to be there a LONG time spamming normals and spamming the same one or two skills when they finally come off cooldown.

It just takes way too long for how interesting it is not...

...Which actually transitions quite beautifully into this next part.

The progression systems.

You already know about the character roster progression system, that is the gacha. And yeah, that is pretty harsh considering it's rates and the whole "you need 180 wishes to guarantee anything" thing. (Even more if you want a specific arm)

But honestly, depending on who you ask, the REAL pain starts AFTER you get the character.

For one thing, one of the main things that you used to make your character stronger, that has some of the biggest impact, is something called artifacts. The entire system by which you get GOOD artifacts is RNG based...

...and let's just say the odds are not in your favor.

But if that wasn't bad enough, the game essentially timegates you even trying to get good artifacts by an artificial energy system called resin.

Actually, the resin system even time gates the aspects of building your character that aren't RNG. You're going to be using your resin on a lot of stuff like using leylines to get money, (which you're going to need a TON of) getting drops from world bosses , (which you're going to need a TON of) getting exp books (What? You thought you were going to get enough exp to level up your character by playing the game? LOL no. Get ready to grind these, because, again, you're going to need a TON of them)

Besides artifacts and the character itself, you'll also need to use resin to continue grinding money and materials to level up the weapon and then all of your characters skills individually. And as far as leveling one skill past level 6, you need material(s) that have a CHANCE to drop ONCE A WEEK, so have fun with that.

But there is one part of building your character not timegated by the resin system. There are random things in the world they want you to go pick up...

...after they respawn, which takes literal days in real time. SO yeah, that's time gated, too. And you're going to wait that respawn period, likely several times when you need to pick up, for example, ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY EIGHT PHILAMENO MUSHROOMS FOR BARBARA.

But after you have done all this, you'll finally be done. Yes, you'll finally be done...

...With one character. And let's just say, you're probably going to need more than one character.