Awoo.

DAY 24 - Poll of the Week 4: 'Chao Raising' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

Chao Raisin'  

33 members have voted

1. 1. You have a Chao. It is a hungry Chao. You decide to feed it full of a particular kind of Drive/Food/Animal to boost one specific stat. Which is it?

• Swim
    • Fly
    • Run
    • Power
    • Stamina

This poll is closed to new votes

Fridays are fun days! So let's have another Poll of the Week!

Poll Blue.png Poll Bronze.png Poll Silver.png Poll Gold.png

This is the last week of this particular activity, so there is a potential for you earn a GOLD Badge from this. To get one, you need to be sure to have participated (that's voted AND posted in the topic) in every single Poll of the Week topic in this forum. Otherwise, you'll earn either a Blue, Bronze or Silver badge depending on how many Poll of the Week topics you have participated in.

Poll of the Week

Chao Raising

Our final poll involves those cute little critters we call Chao. CHOOSE YOUR STAT from the poll here, and POST in this topic JUSTIFYING YOUR CHOICE! Be as serious or as silly as you like! But you have to have a reason. Let that reason be love. Or something else.

EDIT: Now that enough people have voted, I'll share my own choice. Stamina is important and all, but I tend to really put the work into the Swim category. Mostly because, I believe if I spam the buttons hard enough during a Race, my Chao tends to be at least a bit competitive on foot. But if my Chao dunks himself into water and his Swim level is just a little bit off, he is completely screwed for the rest of the race. So yeah, I go hard on the fish.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Ryannumber1gamer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I'll go with power, because Knuckles is on the badge.

Alright, joking aside, I'm one of those people who never really cared about Chao Gardens, so it's hard for me to really say. I'm not even fully certain how they actually work. That said, in my latest SA2 playthrough, I had actually been working on getting a Chao to follow after Knuckles in terms of strength for the sake of Chao Karate. 

No idea if strength actually helps there (I'd like to assume so), so that's what I focused on and I wanted a Hero Chao for the first time as well. If I ever got to the point of making a specific type of Chao, it'd probably be the Knuckles one first, so it makes sense to give him the strength to match lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

Dr. Mechano was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Stamina is the best stat.

In terms of having the energy needed to complete races, stamina is the most universally-valuable. Obviously you want all five stats to be high, but if you're gonna prioritize, prioritize stamina.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dreadknux

Cosmos Rogue was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I fucking love Chao. My single favorite Chao is probably a two-tone white Neutral Run/Run Chao, and if you're a REAL Sonic fan you know exactly what all of that means without having to look it up.

Spoiler

Blade.png.06c62585fe90d20daf0805129104d0c5.png

A picture for PHONY Sonic fans who think Sonic is all about SPEED and not nurturing nature's most gentle, lovable creatures.

(Mine is called Blade and he's the coolest!)

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

FReaK was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Silver - Participated in three Poll of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Nothing better then the run stat. You get a cool little Sonic Chao if you keep it neutral..and when you can run fast, you can pwn every single chao race easily. well, most of them. :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

WanderingBleats was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Assuming all stats are currently at 0...

When I was a kid/young teenager, I prioritized Swim because I was afraid of my Chao drowning. I now know they can't, but they still look miserable when they're in the water with a low Swim stat. I'll get to the other stats later, I just want them to stop having a horrible time in the water they keep jumping into.

Plus, the swimming parts are the most boring parts of the races, so there's that, too.

(Of course, if I was going for absolute efficiency, I would probably prioritize Fly because condors are hilariously broken and raise a bunch of other stats at the same time.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

castell-neath was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I went with Run.

I HATED the Chao garden and raising them. It was just like having one of those annoying Tamagochi's. I tried it a few times, and each time I went with run thinking....well, its a Sonic game so makes sense. Also there wefe races so run seemed to make sense there to win them.

If there ever is a SA3, I hope the Chao Garden is left out of it. 

Dreadknux

Indigo Rush was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I get those silly bastards up to level 7 swim before leaving the garden on idle so they don't drown when I'm away 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

Dreadknux

Iko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

1 hour ago, WanderingBleats said:

When I was a kid/young teenager, I prioritized Swim because I was afraid of my Chao drowning. I now know they can't, but they still look miserable when they're in the water with a low Swim stat. I'll get to the other stats later, I just want them to stop having a horrible time in the water they keep jumping into.

17 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I get those silly bastards up to level 7 swim before leaving the garden on idle so they don't drown when I'm away 

Exactly this, watching them drowning makes me suffer, so I always level up Swim first.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

JezMM was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I went with Stamina because then they get to eat a tasty fruit... but after reading the replies I wish I went with Swim for the same reason you guys said!

Just to add some flavour, I'll list how I used to remember which chaos drives did what (once my chao was customised with the animal parts I liked, I only used drives because I didn't want them to constantly be changing appearance).

Green = Run = Because Green Forest was the fastest feeling Sonic stage

Purple = Fly = Because Rouge the Bat has a purple motif and she can technically fly (even if it's just a glide in gameplay)

Red = Power = Because Knuckles, duh

Yellow = Swim = Because the most notorious swimming section in the game was in Cannon's Core's yellow water.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

A super No.1 washedupgamer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Silver - Participated in three Poll of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Stamina. I'm sure we'd all like to do things and never be tired. That's why I choose it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

Rabid-Coot was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Stamina try to stop them napping halfway through whatever event I need an emblem for.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Covskin was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Stamina, because it takes far too long to raise it normally.

I'm one of those people who never "got" chao raising.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

Eggman Fan was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Silver - Participated in three Poll of the Week activities' and 15 points.

I want my chao to be the most powerful. He must murder the chao.

• Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

Ricochet was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Blue - Participated in one Poll of the Week activity' and 5 points.

Stamina, I dont want my chao to be a couch potato.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

Sean was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

The last time I messed with chao was back in 2012 when SA2 came out on Steam. I really just wanted to get it over with so I dumped everything into speed and stamina. Once I got all the emblems and unlocked GHZ (good god fuck that karate mode) I never looked back once.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Celestia was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Voted for Fly, because it's cute seeing them fly around! Sometimes I forget they mostly just crawl/walk/run around in the gardens. They CAN fly in-game but I don't think I ever actually raised any of mine to do so, despite that being my answer here lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Sega DogTagz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

56 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Voted for Fly, because it's cute seeing them fly around! Sometimes I forget they mostly just crawl/walk/run around in the gardens. They CAN fly in-game but I don't think I ever actually raised any of mine to do so, despite that being my answer here lol.

Back in the day, I used to raise every stat but Fly. Would do my best to keep it low. In almost every race where fly was a factor, having too much of it could actually hurt. Swim was so OP that you wanted your chao to belly flop off a cliff so that he would get into the water faster and become a living torpedo. Run too for a lesser extent.

While Swim was the most OP stat, it only comes into play in the water, where 90% of most races are won on land. So Run is the stat of choice for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Sapphirine Wind was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Swim, so that my Chao stops trying to jump in the water even though they can't swim. The weird thing about it is that they seem to stop wanting to swim unless you put them in the water, at least in my experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Cuz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Fly, because Night's into dreams.

Dreadknux

Stasis was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

Voted RUN as I always aimed to raise a Sonic Chao. I'd then later regret not feeding it something to raise it's swim attribute as I'd watch it flail and cry in the water.

Dreadknux

Blusolyn was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Bronze - Participated in two Poll of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I chose run and it was fun cheering on my chao and watching them go as fast as they could. Watching a run chao move in the chao garden is cute. 

Dreadknux

Zaysho was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Silver - Participated in three Poll of the Week activities' and 15 points.

19 hours ago, Celestia said:

I remember the first time I saw one of them take off when I was running around in the Chao garden and was really surprised they could even do that.

Which of course led to me just putting them on cliffsides to make them fly whenever I went into the garden from then on.

I was going to answer "speed" because I like to make the Shadow Chao in SA2, but I guess flying will be my answer because it brings back a funnier memory.

• Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

Muscles Maximum was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Silver - Participated in three Poll of the Week activities' and 15 points.

POWER!

I love these little balls of muscle, my absolute favorite chao type.

image.png.2351da1017ea73e3e55527237746da68.pngimage.png.4207d431b0d39a795c93c27b8dddae17.png

I've been replaying SA2B lately, and once again it's time for me to get the final emblems I need, the chao emblems. These bad boys are my dream chao. I've always pretty much just done bare minimum when it came to chao raising just to get the emblems and be done with it. But lately I've been learning a bit more of the ins and outs of chao raising and how it works. They're so interesting! 

Dreadknux

Winston was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Poll Hero Gold - Participated in all Poll of the Week activities' and 20 points.

I went with stamina as well, and many of the reasons I would've said why were pretty much perfectly told by Dr. Mechano. I just see it as the most important to try and get done, but of course, you want them all as high as possible.