Awoo.

The Sonic Origins Spoilers Thread

DaBigJ

Man, the Generations mentality of using blocks in missions still sticking around, huh. This time, though, it's....

yeah.

I'm still gonna fully play Mission Mode, if only to 100% the full package, but I'm not really a fan of the design.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

People were only really complaining about Carnival Night and lumped the rest together.

That honestly makes more sense. Having listened to them, Carnival Night Zone Act 1 is the only one that seems to have a big huge change with the odd overabundance of muting. So by all means, I can get the flak that Jun's getting for that one.

The other theme tunes seem to have been translated relatively fine though.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Man, the Generations mentality of using blocks in missions still sticking around, huh. This time, though, it's....

yeah.

I'm still gonna fully play Mission Mode, if only to 100% the full package, but I'm not really a fan of the design.

Pretty sure it goes back as early as Colors--no, Unleashed

Also OH MY GOD ORIGINS IS JUST LIKE FORCES OH GEEZ

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

That honestly makes more sense. Having listened to them, Carnival Night Zone Act 1 is the only one that seems to have a big huge change with the odd overabundance of muting. So by all means, I can get the flak that Jun's getting for that one.

The over theme tunes seem to have been translated relatively fine though.

Yeah I'll honestly agree there. CNZ is the only "bad" proto remix...

Though the new Super Sonic remix is also pretty bad too. 

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

Pretty sure it goes back as early as Colors--no, Unleashed

Also OH MY GOD ORIGINS IS JUST LIKE FORCES OH GEEZ

Saying Origins is just like Forces is like comparing an apple to a tomato, in all honesty.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Saying Origins is just like Forces is like comparing an apple to a tomato, in all honesty.

I like the Super Sonic remix a lot. Most of all the fact it's an actual song now. 

And you're right, but people call things in Sonic games Forces for even weirder reasons.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

I like the Super Sonic remix a lot. Most of all the fact it's an actual song now. 

And you're right, but people call things in Sonic games Forces for even weirder reasons.

You like the Super Sonic remix?

I ask because so do I!

• Thumbs Up 1

An interesting theory regarding the replacement tracks: that they may be rips from an earlier prototype than the one found in 2019 and that Senoue probably didn't really touch them too much. It would explain why these tracks are almost like in-betweens of the PC MIDI and 1103 proto tracks.

EDIT: Could also explain why some of the themes sound virtually identical to the 1103 prototype (Comp theme, credits theme, unused theme); maybe they were more finalized earlier than the level tracks.

• Thumbs Up 4

@MightyGems I politely disagree, with all due respect. I dunno, it just sounds...wrong to me.

like it feels like it belongs in a bootleg game, or a mobile game, not a remaster.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I'm personally fine with the Super Sonic remix,but I will grant you that it is quite notably different.

So, I can get why some might dislike it. Fair enough.

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

@MightyGems I politely disagree, with all due respect. I dunno, it just sounds...wrong to me.

like it feels like it belongs in a bootleg game, or a mobile game, not a remaster.

Thanks for being polite, though you could also have tagged NoKaine as well. Not just me. Anyway, it is fine to disagree, but the track sounds cool to me still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I can certainly agree that it is very different, but I don't think it's distractingly so. It does not bother me as much as CNZ Act 1, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 2

I will admit that I wouldn't be as down about it if it didn't feel so out of place. Sonic 1/2 drums in a Sonic 3 track...it's so jarring.

Come to think of it, were the drums from Sonic 1 and 2 really necessary for a Sonic 3 and Knuckles track?

Just now, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I will admit that I wouldn't be as doen about it if it didn't feel so out of place. Sonic 1/2 drums in a Sonic 3 track...it's so jarring.

I planned on posting the above before you made this post, but hey. Still, the drums were not needed, I will give you that.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who cares too much about the music in these games, the new Super Sonic theme is hurting me in ways I didn't even know possible. The instruments are just so poor, and the more I listen to the bassline and synth the more I can't help but laugh.

• Thumbs Up 4

32 minutes ago, Penny said:

An interesting theory regarding the replacement tracks: that they may be rips from an earlier prototype than the one found in 2019 and that Senoue probably didn't really touch them too much. It would explain why these tracks are almost like in-betweens of the PC MIDI and 1103 proto tracks.

EDIT: Could also explain why some of the themes sound virtually identical to the 1103 prototype (Comp theme, credits theme, unused theme); maybe they were more finalized earlier than the level tracks.

What are the odds that this game pulls a BDSP and a day 1 patch includes the actual music that was meant to be used?

2 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

What are the odds that this game pulls a BDSP and a day 1 patch includes the actual music that was meant to be used?

I doubt it would be a Day 1 patch, but just uploading the prototypes, eh, anything's possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, LegoFedora said:

Naaaaaaaaaah.

Not gonna happen

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Naaaaaaaaaah.

Not gonna happen

So Jun just handed SEGA these songs (assuming they're actually Jun's and aren't just the older versions of the prototype songs) and went "Yeah these are good enough"?

I'm probably looking too much into it but even for SEGA quality control standards that doesn't sound right.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, when it comes to copyrights, Sega really had to Beat It. If they were good to find a way around the copyrights, Sega would be a Smooth Criminal. We are in for some Hard Times indeed.

...Yeah, I see the door to my left.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 2

The Super Sonic theme situation is actually quite familiar to me. What does this remind me of, you may ask?

Koji Kondo composing a new song with Mario 64 samples and expecting us to buy it as a Super Mario World track:

Yes, you could technically compress these different samples on a real SNES chip and if he made these back then there'd probably be a few extras samples then in the original soundfont, but even a composer of Koji's caliber falls into the same trap of capturing old games in spirit only, and not instrumentation.

Jarring aside, Koji still wins here cause it's harder to blow a song with real instrument synths versus with stanky synths.

• Thumbs Up 2

The sonic and knuckles PC collection was the first video game I ever played and the first game I ever finished, I still have the disc somewhere lying around and get a huge boost of nostalgia when I see the incredibly cheap looking menu options to select which game I want to play.

With that being said, I grew up with the "beta" versions of the Sonic 3 ost in all its MIDI glory and that's what I knew for roughly a decade.  Now that I'm much more familiar with Sonic 3 on the genesis, I can say that I'm 50/50 on which tracks I prefer overall. I like the mini boss theme way more on the Genesis, I could go eitherway for Ice Cap, and I slightly prefer the beta version of Launch Base. Carnival Night on the Genesis however is without a doubt the shittiest classic Sonic track ever composed. I can understand why MJ wanted nothing to do with this game after hearing Carnival Night... it's just awful, and I won't be convinced otherwise.

My familiarity with the MIDI tracks is why I surprisingly don't think the new renditions are all that bad. Carnival Night act 1 seems to be getting the most flack and its definitely the weakest mix, but it actually reminds me so much of the MIDI version of the track from my childhood that I don't have a problem with it. The rest of the tracks all have slightly unique adaptations to them that I can get down with. My biggest issue with them is how quiet and less upbeat they all sound compared to their 16-bit prototype counterparts, but I wouldn't mind having these tracks play in the background.

Not like I'm going to buy the game to hear them anyway, but I was surprised at how it wasn't as bad to me as I thought it would all be based on what you guys have been saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

After like 6 hours of seeing extreme vitriol and mean spirited memes, actually listening to the tracks in full quality, they sound fine?

Inferior, yes, but nothing worth this reaction.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

11 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Koji Kondo composing a new song with Mario 64 samples and expecting us to buy it as a Super Mario World track:

It makes sense for him to do that considering that song has Cool Cool Mountain mixed into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Natie said:

After like 6 hours of seeing extreme vitriol and mean spirited memes, actually listening to the tracks in full quality, they sound fine?

Inferior, yes, but nothing worth this reaction.

I think they all sound really bad and the reaction is fair tbh. But maybe I'm spoiled because of the recent TMNT Shredder's Revenge OST. It's Sonic 3 we're talking about, one of the best 16-bits soundtracks of all time.

• Thumbs Up 3