Awoo.

TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations

Slingerland
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations at some point.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS Classic Comment Bot

• Slingerland

• Megabox91(Renzy)

• Franer94

I disagree with the review! Rooftop Run is my favourite daytime stage in Unleashed. And to this guy - get back to your brain!!

Ok.

While I do not agree of some things of the review, I can say that is one of the most complete reviews I’ve seen so far. The Modern Sonic is a step up for me, but still needs a lot of fixes: drifting was terrible, even more than in Unleashed, Sonic Team didn’t put the same effort in last half part of the game like they did in the first one (well, isn’t really bad but is very inferior), controls being sometimes sloppy, you need to master a lot it, specially in harder levels, etc. Classic Sonic is far better than Sonic 4 but needs fixes, like the rolling (something that didn’t annoy me but did it with most people), scripted sections, and more. And like you said, there would be nice more levels instead of challenges, but hey, all of them aren’t bad: some missions are pretty cool, while others just refill the quantity.

I’m waiting for 3DS version of Generations not for play it, just for read your review about it :p

I disagree with the review! Rooftop Run is my favourite daytime stage in Unleashed. And to this guy - get back to your brain!!

This is my favorite comment.

Yes, I agree with you guy. Brad needs to assume that DIMPS is the next Sonic Team, and everybody thinks that ‘s right. Long live to the Boost and Dash pads! ;D

Posted By: Rodgers

Man, all of these reviews on Sonic Generations has been getting me pretty pumped into buying the game. . . . If I had a console of choice or a proper computer to play said game in 60 fps.

I gotta say though, a lot of these aspects and issues that I’ve read from both David and Brad’s reviews are certainly going to be remembered once I get a hold of a controller or a proper graphics card (or both). I hate knowing that I had to spoil the game early when I shouldn’t of, so I’ve already seen what both are talking about. . . . which could be “bad”? I don’t know, but really, I shouldn’t care just yet.

Posted By: Anonymous86

Chemical Plant was really the main reason why I bought the game. It truly gave me chills and goosebumps. The rest of the game REALLY left a lot to be desired though. Oh well. That’s the last time I ever buy a Sonic game sadly. Sega, you just will never learn…

Posted By: gaetligter

I too can agree with most of this review, but there are still one or two things I`d like to mention. What`s wrong with modern Crisis City? Putting aside the fact that those platforms, those you need to stomp, can be quite annoying, I liked the design a lot. I think it`s by far better than what we saw in 06 and is quite fun to play, even if you have`nt memorized it. I have to add though, that I love these apocalypse like levels. A bit of drama here and there is nice and that is something that “I” miss in the recent games. It doesn`t have to be much (no 06 lol), there are other games for that, but a story like the adventure series would be nice.

Posted By: Matt

It was a well-written review and some of the criticisms you make are warranted.
Unfortunately, I find myself unable to agree with much of what you wrote.

First off, replay value. I’m sorry, but I’ve been replaying the game quite a lot, for missions and unlockables, including the extra skills and so forth.
Second of all, at least on XBox, there’s one save file *per username*. I see no real reason to open another save file as myself anyway, to be quite honest, it would just be needlessly diverting my efforts from completing the first one.

Third, as someone who’s been playing this series since Sonic 1, I was in no way disappointed with Classic Sonic’s controls. I think there are some people who are rather too invested in exact duplication of this.

Fourth, apart from the lower paths of Seaside Hill and Crisis City, I think there has been real improvement in the level design and even the Colours puzzle sections, though lengthy, were fun. Bottomless pits were far fewer in number and ease of falling than in previous games and there are far less camera issues in Modern Sonic.

Finally, the idea that blind nostalgia is the only reason I or anyone else could possibly have a differing opinion than yours on any of the other points. It’s just rather insulting, in a “my opinion is the only valid one” way. Yes the nostalgia is fun and all but I’ve actually come back to the Modern Era zones more than the Dreamcast ones.

Strangely many of my favourable reactions were not nostalgia but the opposite – a lot of times playing it I’d be struck with the *new* things they’d done with old gimmicks. Especially the rocket sections in Planet Wisp, also much of Sky Sanctuary impressed me.

The game is not without its flaws, especially in that GOD-DAMNED Perfect Chaos battle reimagining (I agree with you about the boss levels!). Low speed movement is still rather bad, and homing attacks don’t always target what they should.

My favourite review of this game is Games Radar’s 8/10 review, especially this paragraph:

“But when you put the past to one side and look at the new game in isolation, there are essentially two games on show here – and I don’t mean the classic/modern divide. The first is the one that stumbles on the things that Mario does so well. The attractive yet haphazard experience ridden with missed platforms, unexpected deaths and awkward low-speed movement in 3D space.

Then there’s the other game. The one that’s cruising by on the grind rail above it all, pulling tricks through bonus hoops with stars in its wake, locking onto secret ziplines and waiting for the split second where Sonic completes an aerial somersault to face the next platform before boosting away for another S grade. The one that’s everything fans have wanted for so long. You can guess which one I’ve been playing.”

I think that’s about right.

“- The latter half of the game’s level design.”

Seriously?

Oh well, can’t say that I “agree” with this review, but it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it.

My favourite review of this game is Games Radar’s 8/10 review, especially this paragraph:

That paragraph from GamesRadar that you quoted is similar to mine in that when the developers design around what they’ve created, Sonic Generations works great. If they don’t, it comes to a screeching halt.

Thanks for your feedback.

This review summed up very well that sick depressed feeling I got after playing the demo on the 360 that I couldn’t really put into words.

The modern gameplay and control is the same from Unleashed, flaws and all, just covered up with rails and platforms to cover up pits or missteps where they would be for messing up even the slightest. The classic gameplay is focused on pushing you forward (or implying it) as fast as possible instead of like in the original genesis games where it was about careful navigation with moments of speed. You as the player decide how fast you go at your own risk or if you know the level layout well enough.

Both styles show that the only thing Sonic Team thinks Sonic is about is Speed and Speed Running, nothing else.

The game isn’t bad at all…….it’s just extremely underwhelming and showed that Sonic Team hasn’t really learned anything in terms of gameplay, they’ve only learned how to attempt to cover up their gameplay flaws and make the game prettier.

It’s like having a bad car on a bad road, but then fixing and smoothing out the bad road. The car is still a hunk of junk.

Oddly though, I think the Modern Sonic Planet Wisp level from this review comes the closest to being like a proper Sonic game when the reviewer gets to the factory rocket area. A mix of speed and careful platforming.

Posted By: Doctor Mario

Sonic Fanbase: Unappeasable since 2001!

Really? Good Games are not supposed to be fun to be good? Maybe can be a simplistic way to see de things, but is the most truthful one. Maybe I am wrong, but your review sounded like “I kinda like the game, but I will say it’s bad anyways because are not *Amy Rose voice* MY SONIC from the older age!”

Yeah, is not perfect, I agree. Have some minimal flaws, I agree. But have what a Sonic game should have: FUN. Maybe this hurts people that like to think that games after S3&K/SA1/SA2 should be good to be fun, and they should put they Unappeasable Glasses and start being cynical over things that the Sonic franchise never was good about to begin with.

Sonic Franchise never have good controls, never have good story, never are bug-free. But, you know what we like about Sonic franchise? They are FUN. Simple like that. I miss the times when a game are judged for being fun, not for Fan whining about what they wanted the game to act like.

That why the Sonic Fanbase are so broken up. Generations broken even more, because now the fans are in debate: A good Sonic game should be FUN or should be good to control?

Go figure…

PS: Complaining about the story again people? Mario games never have a good story, and I don’t see nobody complaining about then.

Posted By: Pata

“Even though he’s strictly 2D, Classic Sonic is not immune to issues in the latter half of the game. Modern levels punish the pudgy one for the tiniest misstep, putting crucial platforms just out of horizontal or vertical reach, all above nefarious pits. There are less branching paths and more cheap shots. Again, Sonic Team, your controls aren’t that tight. Design for the engine that you’ve built and not for what you think you have built.”

All I hear is “I screwed up, but it can’t be my fault! I know! I’ll blame the game!”

• 2 weeks later...

Posted By: Soniman032

Oh so you’re displeased with the later half of the game where it actually tries to have interresting 3D areas?

Posted By: Ryuusei

Man, I disagree with most of the negative things this guy’s said. There’s nothing wrong with Modern Sonic’s controls, nothing convoluted about it. The stage selections are fine, even the boss battles. The bottomless pits are expected to show up, but unlike past games they at least warn you where they are, so if you fall it’s your fault and not the game’s. And while yes, Omochao is annoying, at least you got the option to turn it off. Also…Crisis City was terrible? Really? Unless you were blindly moving and jumping about there’s no reason for you to repeatedly die from the slightest mistakes. Honestly, the stage’s well-designed and merciful unlike its Sonic 2006 version.

The moment I read the words ‘Sonic Retro’ on this review I knew I was going to regret reading this.