Awoo.

TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations

Slingerland
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations at some point.

On 11/9/2011 at 2:15 PM, mrstupes said:

This is the best review I have seen for this game. Finally someone else out there agrees that modern sonic is too complicated to control. Maybe its just me, but I think that modern sonic for the most part should be a pick up and play game like classic sonic. I understand the arguments that you just get used to it, but its still not solving the problem. I mean you have to use every button on that damn 360 pad for some of these levels. Maybe its just me but I find it hard to believe that Sega cannot simplify the controls for modern sonic.

I hate to compare him to mario, but Mario Galaxy is essentially a 3 button game. Sonic has now gone from being a one button game to a 8 button game at times. I love all the idea they do in Modern Sonic and want to keep playing it, but a part of me wishes for something with a more streamlined control system. Also I have no problem playing Modern Sonic, I just got used to it. I just wish it didn’t have such a steep learning curve in my opinion. Also whenever you are in a 3d environment with him WOW. its like the game just comes to crawl. It seems their way to fix this problem is now to just guide you through the 3d sections with homing attack. Platforming is still a complete mess in 3d, and I wonder if they could ever actually fix it at this point. I know this post sounds negative, but I actually really LOVE the game I am having a blast playing it. Just have to get around the issues.

I think Colors had it right when it came 3D platforming..it’s just that they did’nt use that formulae this time..

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS Classic Comment Bot

• Slingerland

• Megabox91(Renzy)

• Franer94

I’d agree the writing seems a bit empty. Having Modern Sonic respond to characters who’ve just info dumped, by putting his thumb up and smiling seems a bit creepy. I was also pretty frustrated when I realised you can’t really roll anywhere. The minute you’re out of the spin dash you’re up and running and vulnerable, with not alot of momentum.

It’s a fun game, but I was hoping for more.

Posted By: Karla

Most sincere review I have seen to date! Game informer was ok, BUT I LIKE MORE THIS ONE! Hope the 3ds version is better… And… I dont like to compare but… I think Mario games are more fun than Sonic. Each stage is fun, tricky and sometimes hard… BUT YOU DONT GET BORED! (I am talking about Galaxy series) Modern Sonic games? Just running through a stage, and passing a 2D area… I hope they do the new sonic gen more like exploring, not just running. (CLASSIC FAN BOY HERE XD)

Agreed,

if sega could go back to the adventure style gameplay

” The meager selection of stages and bosses.”

What did you expect them to do? Have the game come out in 2014 and have it on 23 discs? That’s basically what I'm getting from that. Not going into details.

Posted By: avolpe

i think you did a great job with the review and you expressed your opinion very nicely. i disagree on some parts (mainly dealing with the modern sections) but i do agree that spagonia shouldnt of been in the list. i would have rather seen holiska. if that was the SU level i would be alot more satisfied with the game even though i allready think its kick ass

Posted By: sonicphoto

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with this review, I had no problems with the gameplay at all. I mean really that the game has pitfalls and such? You want the game more easy than what it already is? The only thing I can agree with is that yes the game is too short. But honestly this has been the best recent sonic game in years since well heroes. It uses a mix of both the unleashed engine and the colors engine. They actually manage to make the 3-d running sections of modern sonic function properly, in colors they control horribly and not to mention it doesn’t have weak jumping control in its 2d sections like colors. I thought the story was pretty nice the fact that classic and modern characters interact. voice acting well, they improved, sonic sounded awful in colors, now the actor manage to balance more the voice and not sounding like a 40 year old hedgehog. And classic tails has to be the cutest thing to happen in Sonic in years lol. And the fact that big the cat does not appear in the story is already a plus.

And well between werehog and classic sonic, no question that classic sonic is the best alternative. Another little complain is that instead of having characters do some weird sidekick assistant in challenge missions, they could make them playable as a bonus later on but with the same sonic formula. Just to goof around with the models, the only good thing about sonic and the black knight.

Posted By: FoxBoy

On 11/9/2011 at 11:09 AM, Detective Shadzter said:

I didn’t see Brad’s review beforehand. We were both giving our thoughts on the game, not debating them.

Not to sound like a suckup, but you really are a role model for how we should be acting around people. lol 🙂

On 11/9/2011 at 3:46 AM, The Swordsman said:

Out of all the reviews for Sonic Generations this is one of the worst, Its way too cynical. I actualy liked the hub world and the modern stages.

You hear that, guys? If you write a review how you’re supposed to write one, you’re cynical.

On 11/9/2011 at 11:09 AM, Detective Shadzter said:

I didn’t see Brad’s review beforehand. We were both giving our thoughts on the game, not debating them.

Yeah, Shadz and I wrote ours separately. I think it’s better that way.

i think you did a great job with the review and you expressed your opinion very nicely. i disagree on some parts (mainly dealing with the modern sections) but i do agree that spagonia shouldnt of been in the list. i would have rather seen holiska. if that was the SU level i would be alot more satisfied with the game even though i allready think its kick ass

Oh, man… Holoska. Awesome level.

Wow, this review is pretty harsh.

Oh wait Slingerland reviewed it, nevermind.

As do I.

John Madden… FOOTBALL!

Colors is a great game in my eyes. What controls were you using? I felt the nunchuck and wiimote combo difficult to handle and the wiimote by itself to be a better control scheme for me.

I didn’t Colors either :/ and I totally agree Planet Wisp was annoying in this game as well as the wisps even in Colors

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with this review, I had no problems with the gameplay at all. I mean really that the game has pitfalls and such? You want the game more easy than what it already is? The only thing I can agree with is that yes the game is too short. But honestly this has been the best recent sonic game in years since well heroes. It uses a mix of both the unleashed engine and the colors engine. They actually manage to make the 3-d running sections of modern sonic function properly, in colors they control horribly and not to mention it doesn’t have weak jumping control in its 2d sections like colors. I thought the story was pretty nice the fact that classic and modern characters interact. voice acting well, they improved, sonic sounded awful in colors, now the actor manage to balance more the voice and not sounding like a 40 year old hedgehog. And classic tails has to be the cutest thing to happen in Sonic in years lol. And the fact that big the cat does not appear in the story is already a plus.

And well between werehog and classic sonic, no question that classic sonic is the best alternative. Another little complain is that instead of having characters do some weird sidekick assistant in challenge missions, they could make them playable as a bonus later on but with the same sonic formula. Just to goof around with the models, the only good thing about sonic and the black knight.

Pits are artificial difficulty. You can create actual difficulty that feels rewarding to overcome through good design.

High FPS is bad?

The console version only runs at 30. with 60 being waht most people consider high.

PC version can run at 60 pretty easily though. 😀

Posted By: Anonymous86

I love the game so far, but absolutely hate and despise Crisis City. Just awful. And I really don’t like Seaside Hill either.

Why do I have a feeling that the majority of Sonic fans on this website hated this game?! I mean come on!

Gameplay: 8/10
Level Design 10/10
Music 9/10
Story 6/10
Graphics 10/10

Bad:
I noticed some glitches throughout the game and some frustrating cheap hits and deaths. The story was badly written as well and I couldn’t help but laugh when Modern Sonic says “Enjoy your future! Its gonna be great!”. The controls were crappy at some times for modern but most was very satisfying.
Good:
A very complex and well designed Sonic game that brings all the elements from the most memorable Sonic games and collides it into one very replayable game. The graphics were very beautiful and this game, actually surprisingly gives me hope for many new Sonic games to come.

FINAL RATING:

Seaside hill and rooftop run forgettable?? LOL oh wow smh. I kind of figured that this review would praise the first half of this game but not the second half. Oh well, I really enjoyed this game…every single last level was a blast.

Posted By: Scott

Question: Why does everyone love Mike Pollock so much, how is he ‘Untouchable’? Personally, I like to remember when Eggman’s voice was at least vaguely menacing. Isn’t this the guy that’s captured live animals to run his machines, created giant superweapons, unleashed ancient horrors, and blew up half the friggin’ moon? To me, that doesn’t sound like a guy who laughs like an idiot until he goes into a coughing fit. He’s just not even a vaguely threatening villain. Now I know Deem Bristow is dead (extremely sad), but aren’t Edwin Neal and Jim Cummings still kicking around? Those guys were much better in my opinion over Pollock.

Speaking of which, why is Colours placed on such a high pedestal, too? The gameplay was rock solid, but even as a hardcore Sonic fan I can never find myself going back to it. As for the story, I like the extremely sarcastic nature of Sonic and Tails, and all the conversational humour therein, but I really don’t feel like it adds anything to the Sonic mythos in the way the other games have.

As for Generations itself, I agree with some of your negative points, but I was too busy playing the game with the biggest grin on my face to really care. Yeah, I suppose you could say there are too many city levels, but none of them are similar in layout, and things are always kept fresh and interesting. Hell, I think Speed Highway (Act 2) is my favourite level. That being said, I completely agree with the whole ‘Modern Sonic needs to be simplified’ thing. Sure, I can blast through most levels and get an S rank, but if I hand the controller over to a less acclimatized friend or sibling, they’ll have no idea what they’re doing, even on the first level. I actually let my sister play modern Green Hill, and she got an S rank. Her response? “I literally had no idea what I was doing.” Not exactly what one should hear about game design. As for the pudgy Classic Sonic, I have no real complaints. Sure, the spindash is a little overpowered, but in the later levels it becomes more of a skillful tool than “SPINDASH TO WIN”. Also, Classic Tails is friggin’ adorable. I want more of that in my game. I want more of that in EVERY game, god dammit.

All in all, Sonic Generations is a great game with a few minor hiccups, and I look forward to popping it into my console and playing it randomly for the rest of my life.

On 11/9/2011 at 5:23 PM, kalion said:

I think Colors had it right when it came 3D platforming..it’s just that they did’nt use that formulae this time..

Colors had it right with the 3D platforming? Are you drunk or something!? 75% of the game was 2D platforming

Posted By: Kris

Wow, way to insult Sonic fans <_<

Except he’s not insulting Sonic fans, he’s insulting fans of anything. People are going to have a biased look at something they enjoy, and seeing someone giving their objective opinion on it will, nine times out of ten, send them into a tizzy. He’s simply making fun of those that will inevitably pop on and post OMG UR REVIEW IZ TEH SUXXORZ SANIC GENURASHUNZ IS 100000000/10, and such.

On 11/10/2011 at 6:38 AM, GreenEyes said:

Why do I have a feeling that the majority of Sonic fans on this website hated this game?! I mean come on!

Gameplay: 8/10
Level Design 10/10
Music 9/10
Story 6/10
Graphics 10/10

Bad:
I noticed some glitches throughout the game and some frustrating cheap hits and deaths. The story was badly written as well and I couldn’t help but laugh when Modern Sonic says “Enjoy your future! Its gonna be great!”. The controls were crappy at some times for modern but most was very satisfying.
Good:
A very complex and well designed Sonic game that brings all the elements from the most memorable Sonic games and collides it into one very replayable game. The graphics were very beautiful and this game, actually surprisingly gives me hope for many new Sonic games to come.

FINAL RATING:

Scores are for pussies.

Posted By: Ryan

Wow! What a negative review! I disagree with the majority of flaws pointed out here on a skim read. After year after year of shit Sonic games, we finally have one that I feel is REALLY good! I absolutely love it!

Only negatives for me would be:
– Overpowered spin dash
– Not enough Genesis/Mega Drive era levels
– Dodgey frame-rate at times
– Kinda short.

Other than that, a brilliant game!

(I’m a 26 year old who has played pretty much every Sonic game on every platform over the last 20 years!)

Wow! What a negative review! I disagree with the majority of flaws pointed out here on a skim read. After year after year of shit Sonic games, we finally have one that I feel is REALLY good! I absolutely love it!

Only negatives for me would be:
– Overpowered spin dash
– Not enough Genesis/Mega Drive era levels
– Dodgey frame-rate at times
– Kinda short.

Other than that, a brilliant game!

(I’m a 26 year old who has played pretty much every Sonic game on every platform over the last 20 years!)

“Skim read.” How about you actually read it because the negativity has a point.

Posted By: NauseousPenguin

I have to say, this is spot on for the most part. I turned off Omochao the day the game came out, and haven’t turned him on since. Sure, Time Eater and the last hit on Silver were bitches to figure out, but I did it anyways. Time Eater is a pain as well, but easy enough when you figure out what to do. I don’t know how you could have trouble with Shadow – his fight’s not hard to figure out. Grab two Energy Cores, boost-to-win into meteors, boost-to-win into Shadow. I will admit, the bosses are surprisingly easy on Hard Mode. I went and fought almost all of them with Splash Hill Zone playing for absolutely no reason other than I could. Sure, the story is short, but then doing the missions can be fun. Best mission ever is Rooftop Rail Grind and you all know it. Super Sonic is probably the biggest disappointment for me – Classic Super Sonic isn’t any faster than normal Classic Sonic, and all he does is jump higher, be yellow, and be invincible. Modern Super Sonic is ok, but holy shit quit flying I don’t want to fly I just want to do a normal boost. Also dammit SEGA quit calling Classic Robotnik Classic Eggman. HE WASN’T EGGMAN BACK THEN. Also where are Classic Amy and Knuckles? Come on, SEGA, if we have Classic Tails, why not them as well?

U trollin’ or something?

---

As somebody who has gotten all of the game’s trophies, I have a couple things to say.

-The game is short and very easy to master, but is still enjoyable, nonetheless.
-Additional skills like the elemental shields and classic homing attack were nice additions.
-The secret statue room was quite an interesting surprise, and I believe some of the statues may be hints at future DLC.
-The game is extremely fun to play, even after completing the game 100%.
-Beating the final boss without taking damage was a bitch to do.
-People expected way too much from this game. (Have any of you seen those 1,000 level-long wishlists people posted?)

Posted By: ipodtouch264

I disagree with the review! Rooftop Run is my favourite daytime stage in Unleashed. And to this guy - get back to your brain!!