Awoo.

TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations

Slingerland
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into TSS REVIEW: Sonic Generations at some point.

Actually now that I’ve read the review in detail I have to say, Brad you have read my mind perfectly and I have a deeper respect for your analytical skills. You mention that the earlier levels stop you from seeing the games faults and I couldn’t agree more which makes it even more painful that the control issues are highlighted so painfully by the challenge modes…

People who are denying character control problems need to put a lie detector on as the huge amounts of time classic Sonic landed on a platform only to move foward a couple of steps and off an edge or into some spikes/enemies. Modern Sonic works great when side-stepping or in 2D but slap him into more open 3D spaces where he requires more accurate movemenets (crisis city or planet wisp anyone) and he suffers.

Fun game but obvious flaws are obvious. 7/10

Dude, I REALLY disagree. Sonic Generations is one of the best 3D(well, kinda) Sonics to date.

It’s polished, well thought, has a lot of replay value and oh-so-gorgeous graphics.
If you take away fan-whining, it’s so fun to play.

It’s a perfect celebration, it IS a step into the right direction – the one that takes Sonic games in a creative and more relaxed way. For me the biggest flaw of 2006 was a trend that began with adventure of Sonic taking himself too seriously. A game like Colors and Generations has the clear sole purpose of fun – it is it’s biggest strength.

– Spoiler-

Now… I miss good stories… character development and a plot twist. Eggman being the final villain isn’t enough of a twist for me. I miss real sense of danger and epicness… Huge machine at the end of the cosmos doesn’t do it for me. It doesn’t matter if it’s eggman or monster of the week, if the threat doesn’t have a goood context (and Sonic a good motivation – and by good I mean something that is capable to engage players emotionally, not just “someone got kidnapped”) it’s just meh….

Look, Sonic is an action platformer. When you think about action movies the difference between Transformers – a very fun movie – and The Dark Knight – a masterpiece IMO – it’s the characters motivation and the way we relate to it. It doen’t matter if Optimus Prime is saving the freakin world – that’s not a real threat… but a crazy terrorist blowing up stuff while you have to deal with lot’s of personal choices… that’s stressfull and we seen something similar, haven’t we?

I think people hated Transformer movies because the writing was terrible and the characters bland. I don’t want to see a giant robot pissing on someone, thankyou.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS Classic Comment Bot

• Slingerland

• Megabox91(Renzy)

• Franer94

I did find the story really lackluster. But i find a strange irony in the fact that people begged for Sonic to have a simple story since 06. Now we have it, but now people complain about it? I’m not poking fingers, but i just found it strange. Also i didn’t find the 3D sections that bad. The controls were more tight than any other 3D sonic game, and the 3D/2D was way more balanced than Unleashed or Colors.

Posted By: SonicMaster23

A very good review for the most part. It made a lot of very true points — like how Sega has been using nostalgia as a “crutch” lately to win over its fans. It’s true, a lot of recent games have been packed with classic Sonic references. And I honestly enjoy it, don’t get me wrong. I can’t tell you how many nerdgasms I had while playing Generations. But Sega can’t rely on it forever. I’m not saying they should step completely away from it; I’m just saying they should stop focusing on it so much and concentrate on other ways they can improve the franchise.

As for my personal opinions on Generations… I LOVE the levels that they chose, though I’m sorely disappointed there was no Sonic 3 level (lazy, Sega, lazy) and I would have liked to see WAY more of them. Instead of 3 levels per era, 5 would have been better, possibly more. The bosses were OK. I liked how the fights were kinda divided into different phases that required you to do different things instead of just hitting the boss 3 times on the head. I loved the rival battle with Silver — Shadow and Metal Sonic not so much. It’s true what they say about Time Eater though… it’s an absolute nightmare and I never want to do it again. I’m surprised I even got through it in the first place.

The music is absolutely beautiful, particularly Classic Speed Highway and Classic Crisis City. And Classic Sonic? God he’s so adorable. I wish he’d gotten more screen time. My favorite part was where he tried to pull off a Modern Sonic move and fell flat on his face. ^^ …Seriously, though, why does Classic Tails talk?

As for the writing… Sega continues to fail at that. Hardcore. I don’t know why they don’t do something about that. Though I will admit they’ve been improving a little at dialogue. Lately I’ve enjoyed some of the conversations between Sonic and Tails. One thing I would like to say about the cutscenes though, and this has been a problem with like, ALL Sonic games lately, is that they’re too repetitive. It’s like they copy/paste the same scene over and over again and then just make slightly different things happen. This was especially true for Sonic Colors.

Phew… I better stop here before I make this comment as long as the review itself. But that’s pretty much what I have to say about Generations.

Posted By: huriken the hedgehog

Well I found the game quite fun, I had no problems with modern Sonic's controls or anything. Only part I didn't like was Planet Wisp.

Posted By: SonicMaster23

On 11/8/2011 at 11:22 PM, Darkgomugomu said:

I did find the story really lackluster. But i find a strange irony in the fact that people begged for Sonic to have a simple story since 06. Now we have it, but now people complain about it? I’m not poking fingers, but i just found it strange. Also i didn’t find the 3D sections that bad. The controls were more tight than any other 3D sonic game, and the 3D/2D was way more balanced than Unleashed or Colors.

The story should be simple… just not dead, you know? Sonic Colors had a nice simple story. Generations had a bland one.

Call me an optimist, or a bad sonic fan, but I actually really love this game.

ONLY GRIPE: THE FINAL BOSS. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i don't really like the final boss either, i mean when tails said they’ve made walkie talkies and are in another dimension to sonic’s everyone still knows when there’s a homing shot coming!

Posted By: Dakota J

I can agree with most of this. It’s a great for an anniversary, but once it got closer to the end, it started bothering me.

• Classic’s controls (although not quite like the genesis) felt very good. Especially the momentum. Crisis City, Sky Sanctuary and Speed Highway are my top 3.
  • Planet Wisp annoyed me. Modern’s version was amazing up until you got to the construction area. I’ve only played classic’s version, once. just for finishing the story.
  • That seaside hill mission w/rouge made me rofl.

The biggest issue I had with the game was modern sonic’s homing attack, It glitched so many times on me. I agree with the review overall. Also..the boss battles sucked for the most part…

Posted By: damnhedge

-the damn red rings even colors wasent that hard i mean comon ITS BEEN ALMOST A WHOLE WEEK I JSUT CANT FIND THAT LAST REDRING IN PLANETWIPS ACT 2

-the skills just give me dah good ol’ in levels skill shit

-the combos yes its better then the demo but still

Posted By: Denilson

Ok, I didn’t even played the game, and i need to be very frank in here. although i do agree with this review and you made some very good points in there. Sadly this isn’t the 90’s years, classic physics won’t be perfect for a long while.

Wonder why Mario Games feel so polished? Thats because Nintendo knows so well their mascot and they are smart to only publish Mario games in their own console. And thats the very reason why Sonic was so good back then. SEGA used to love their little hedgehog and he was doing pretty fine in SEGA’s consoles: SEGA Genesis, SEGA Game Gear, SEGA Dreamcast and even if 32X wasn’t that much of a success it had some pretty decent games like Knuckles Chaotix. I see this point of view now that I don’t blindly overpraise a product that i had my hopes so high for. *sigh* You know what? Even if Sonics future won’t be the shine we hoped to, be aware Sonic… that us fans will forever guard you in the heart for the awesome little hedgehog you have been since the very start…

I’m surprised you didn’t mention any of the glitches in this game, because there are A LOT. At one point, I was attacking Time Eater, then suddenly both Super Sonics turned around and boosted in the complete opposite direction!!

Anyway, we’ve still got the 3DS version to come yet! You might think it’s not got any hope, but it ain’t over till the Eggman sings!

And we can’t even dead forget about SEGA CD that had the last of Sonic’s true highlight in gaming story.

Posted By: Hyperstar96

On 11/8/2011 at 8:49 PM, DarkOverord said:

How dare you spot flaws and have a reasonable review (That without jesting I agree with), I shall now rant and whine how it is the most perfect game ever.

No seriously though. Good review and pretty much what I thought. (Though I thought Rooftop Run has some legitimately good level design personally, running up the clock tower was a lovely touch)

Wow, way to insult Sonic fans <_<

Well, even though Planet Wisp was long, I saw it in a way I never did last year. All of the other stages had this same characteristic: You start somewhere. You end somewhere. Where were you going?

While red ring grinding I realized I was exploring this giant machine in 2 ways. Act 1, the goal was to start on one side and explore it to the other. Act 2 took it a different way and started outside and worked its way to the top. Perhaps Colors did this, but I was never sure. It was broken between too many acts.

As for the rest, at least Crisis City was better than before. I didn’t die if I touched the control stick during a scripted sequence.

Posted By: Ellanie

I pretty much agree with every critique here, save the hub world. I prefer it to be interactive, and I dare say it was a throw back to the interactive hubs found in games like SA1, Battle, and, urk, ’06.

Also, frankly, the bosses all are so boring.

I think it’s a good game, but Colors is better.

I will definately agree with the Level selection, Especially with the towards the 3DS version.

the stages in that are even less diverse than the consoles.

Posted By: NauseousPenguin

(reads review)
Hmm…

No, sir… I don’t like it.
I guess I liked the game a little more than you guys did, I don’t know.

Theres one thing SEGA got right with this game though.
I felt in love with the classic rooftop run i would certainly give this game’s music a 10/10.

Posted By: SimplePlan2k8

You know, I really hope the story isn’t as pathetic in future games as it was in this game. I mean, in this game itself I wouldn’t call it pathetic because somehow it turned out to be a plot even more simplistic than Sonic 1 by description yet has to be the most “epic” plot to ever happen in the Sonic franchise at the same time. And for the concept of the game, it’s perfectly excusable. But for future “Regular” games, I won’t hold my breath for a story that’s actually worth being there and takes talent to create. (You know, something that actually looks like it’s worth getting paid for and doesn’t look like a job easier to get than it actually is.)

As for Classic Sonic, I heard he’d be speaking through body language, which he didn’t. Yeah he made a lot of gestures but none of them were actual communicating gestures. They were just him acting cooky and not even very often. Not to mention pretty much NO ONE paid attention to him. In fact, while Modern Sonic speaks during a conversation, through most of the game he ALSO stays mute only responding in body language. Particularly when rescuing friends with Modern.

I also heard Classic Tails would speak on behalf of Classic Sonic, which he didn’t. It pretty much made him sound like Sonic’s guide and somewhat babysitter rather than a sidekick. But maybe this is because Tails is from Sonic 2 and since all Sonic history went outta whack he met the Classic Sonic from Sonic 1. idk.

As for the voice acting, all of the voice acting was great. I can’t think of a single character who sounded bad nor a reason why they sounded bad order to decide so. lol I mean heck, for the most part it just sounded like the characters. Doesn’t matter who the actors are, it’s just the characters.

Amy’s VA needs to be fired. It’s like needles in my ears

Posted By: Hyperstar96

The only bad parts of the game:
Lame fps.
No sonic 3 stage.
Needs more stages..9 zones for 20 years is nothing.
Sonic CD as well with a only solo stage. has been cool.
More rivals like classic knux or Jet.

High FPS is bad?

Posted By: AlexTheHedgehog

Most sincere review I have seen to date! Game informer was ok, BUT I LIKE MORE THIS ONE! Hope the 3ds version is better… And… I dont like to compare but… I think Mario games are more fun than Sonic. Each stage is fun, tricky and sometimes hard… BUT YOU DONT GET BORED! (I am talking about Galaxy series) Modern Sonic games? Just running through a stage, and passing a 2D area… I hope they do the new sonic gen more like exploring, not just running. (CLASSIC FAN BOY HERE XD)

The opening part of both acts looked beutiful. A giant forest with purple lava at the bottom. they ruined the rest by putting the factorys in the majority of the level

Agreed, I was hoping they would have the actually Planet Wisp before Eggman came in with his fat hide and ruined everything |:

Posted By: SonicSilverSS

Wow, this review is pretty harsh.

Oh wait Slingerland reviewed it, nevermind.

Hahahahaha, I agree with this there comment….