Awoo.

Sonic 06 relisted on Xbox marketplace (currently *not* backwards compatible)

Willsy

This is nice. Really weird timing but it's good from a preservation perspective.  If that's all it is that's... a weirdly benevolent thing for them to do, but hey, it's clearly earning them a little pocket money judging by the number of people in this thread digging out their 360s to make sure they own it for the sake of owning it.

5 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

I still think this is some sort of error and none of you can prove me otherwise. 

Bit of a weird hill to die on, you can't prove that it's an error either so what's to gain by saying something so unnecessarily combative?  The Sonic social media manager, who often gives supplementary info to the fans with her account has acknowledged it, and the price is different from when it was last listed - both pretty solid points that this was intentional.  If all you've got is "it doesn't make sense for them to be selling a bad game" then boy you should check out the history of this series called "Sonic the Hedgehog" sometime!

2006 has definitely done all the harm it's ever going to do for the franchise, throwing it back onto a storefront that can only be accessed from a three-generations-old console is not going to cause any problems.

• Thumbs Up 6

They really ought to add it to the BC list, there's lots of worse titles there already.

I wonder if its just based on region. I mean I had no issue buying it from the pc us store. I even dipped and grabbed on of the wallpaper pack things. Now to find a old 360 that is not red ringed though if you go by my picture i hope just maybe they add it to bc list as it mentions the xbox one  program

Had trouble buying it from the online UK marketplace store but got it just fine when I booted up the 360 and bought it just from there. Would've probably had been taken down by now if it really was a mistake though I think.

Man I hope this eventually gets added to BC. Always wanted to play 06 but never had the 360 to do so (and I learned my lesson from playing the ps3 versions of Sonic games with Unleashed, so I didn't even bother getting 06 on the ps3.) If the SSD even allowed instant/improved load times, I wonder if 06 will go through a sudden "actually this game isn't that bad" much like Shadow and Heroes are.

Maybe Xbox is preparing to announce more BC titles during the game-show-I-forget-the-name-of that's happening soon, and this listing just went up in preparation. Have their been games that went back up for sale before being announced for BC even?

3 hours ago, LegoFedora said:

Have their been games that went back up for sale before being announced for BC even?

No, but apart from original Xbox titles that were never digital before (and those were always put online on the day of being added to back compat), there has only been one delisted game brought back to the digital storefront for back compat, that being funnily enough Sonic Unleashed. Sonic 06 being relisted for compat early doesn't seem to be an immediate conclusion. Could just be SEGA deciding why not when they were already in the partner pages.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't need the market place version, as I have the original disc I have had since the game was new :)

Really hoping it gets added to backwards compatibility, the game would truly benefit from it. (Also it's annoying that I have to switch to my 360 to just play this title)

Come on Microsoft give us what we want bro 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I managed to get the xbox 360 that was just in my parents’ basement. Got the game installed, and currently at Magma Core for Sonic. I’m honestly enjoying it, despite the bugs. Definitely feeling the automation a lot in the loops, but overall, still finding it fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/30/2022 at 5:24 AM, Edward850 said:

No, but apart from original Xbox titles that were never digital before (and those were always put online on the day of being added to back compat), there has only been one delisted game brought back to the digital storefront for back compat, that being funnily enough Sonic Unleashed. Sonic 06 being relisted for compat early doesn't seem to be an immediate conclusion. Could just be SEGA deciding why not when they were already in the partner pages.

It's a common misconception, but Sonic Unleashed was never actually delisted.

You can look at archived copies of the game's Xbox store page from any date, and it's always available for purchase. I know this is not a mistake on the Internet Archive's part, because my very own digital copy of the game was purchased in January of 2013.

2 hours ago, Shane said:

It's a common misconception, but Sonic Unleashed was never actually delisted.

You can look at archived copies of the game's Xbox store page from any date, and it's always available for purchase. I know this is not a mistake on the Internet Archive's part, because my very own digital copy of the game was purchased in January of 2013.

Oh, huh, well then. I never noticed it get delisted either for similar reasons, but everyone always said it did so I guess I got suckered into that.

On 5/27/2022 at 5:02 AM, Dreadknux said:

I say 'try' because your mileage may vary if you can get it to work. Some people in this topic have managed to buy it from this web store without an Xbox 360. I haven't been able to do it, I get to the payment page and then the little thing keeps spinning for all eternity (to answer @Edward850's question, I was using Safari on iPhone. Doesn't play nice there).

Just a thought; I have noticed behaviour recently where the webstore fails to complete a purchase without an error message if your current store location doesn't match your account region. Check that the region listed on the bottom of the page matches where your account is, otherwise click to change it.

image.png.8e438e4f3438301785bdafa700f84b14.png