Awoo.

Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (REMASTERED COLLECTION OF KLONOA 1 AND 2) - July 8th 2022 - GAME AND DEMO OUT NOW!

Ryannumber1gamer

Announced during the Direct, Klonoa is finally making his long awaited comeback with a remastered collection of both Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, and Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil! 

From the brief footage we can see from the trailer, the collection seems to include the Wii Remake of Klonoa 1, as well as an enhanced release of Klonoa 2, both remastered with an enhanced UI. It's also dropping on PS5, PS4, Series X, Series S, and Steam as well, although the date for those consoles hasn't been confirmed yet, while the Switch version drops on July 8th 2022.

Can't wait for this, Klonoa has been deserving of a comeback for a super long time. 

• Thumbs Up 4

My only experience with the series was the Wii version. The game was alright, but way too short and easy. And the cutscenes and voice acting were painful. But the game was alright. I wonder if it will finally catch on now? 

My favourite series after SONIC, ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTURES (SPARKSTER) and ROCKMAN!!...
In fact, I love the four series so much...

Welcome back Klonoa, and I hope a brand new adventure will be released one day!!...

Both this and LIVE A LIVE releasing in July is so cruel. I can't take this, my heart is not strong enough

I first played the original PSX Klonoa just a few years ago when I was in a really rough spot in my life, so the story ended up hitting me harder then it probably did for most people...especially the line "It was a short while...but it was wonderful."

I've always wanted to play the sequel, but a used copy has always been ridiculously expensive. This is definitely a day one purchase for me.

Klonoa 2 is an absolutely fantastic platformer that's unfortunately been buried a bit due to being one of the early PS2 games, and being generally rare. I got lucky and found a copy on eBay years ago for a reasonable price after having so many nostalgic memories of the game thanks to a PS2 Demo Disc, and I really loved the full game.

So if there's one thing that's great about this collection, it's the fact so many more are finally gonna get to experience it. Klonoa 1 is also gonna be my first time getting to play it proper. I had the PS3 version, but it runs at 50hz with gimped music, so I just never got far in it. I think an interesting detail here too is that Klonoa 1 seems to be the Wii version but with changes - namely, Klonoa's Wii model to my knowledge had a redesign to bring him closer to the sequel design (Notably - Klonoa's eyes), while this model is a heavily accurate version of the original model.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned Klonoa 2's soundtrack is an absolute banger:

Very happy to see this announcement - I can't say I'm the most dedicated Klonoa fan, but I played the original PS1 classic on my PS3 back in the day for the first time and really enjoyed it (never had a PlayStation back in the 90s when it was all the rage). The visuals, music and vibe seem totally up my alley. Glad I get to experience the sequel without having to be a millionnaire. :D 

Two 2D KLONOA games for the GBA were great too : a mix between platformers and puzzle games... and the second episode had wonderful boss fights!!...
KLONOA BEACH VOLLEY (PS1) was fun enough and the Action-RPG on GBA was great but never translated into English...

I had the Wii version of the first game back in the day, and if memory serves that gave you extra hearts compared to the original. The trailer seems to stick to the 3 hearts of the PS1 game, so interesting to see what else changes.

Never had a chance to try Klonoa 2, so excited to try that one out! Wonder when we'll get a release date for other formats.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am rarely actually active in here… gotta say one thing.

PLEASE BUY THIS SO WE GET MORE KLONOA STUFF I BEG.

But let me be serious for a moment, I am very proud of how Bamco managed to try and make Klonoa 2 be actually playable on modern hardware, same with the Frankenstein of the Klonoa 1 PS1-Wiimake hybrid.

By all means if you want more Klonoa, then go and buy this when it releases on Switch, July 8th.

As an aside, with the 3DS and Wii U eShop’s goin kaput, be sure to also buy the GBA games on the Wii U VC before you lack the option of buying them. Support the series in any way, shape, or even form.

Anyways, hope you all actually manage to buy Phantasy Reverie Series on any platform available, I know for a DAMN FACT that I will.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

A few new details

Other console versions are also arriving July 8th, but no boxed edition for North America. I don't remember seeing this info before:

There are also new features in this collection as well, such as easy and normal difficulty settings, and a hard mode that unlocks after clearing the game. Two player co-op is also available, as well as a challenging new Stopwatch mode.

Pre-ordered my boxed PS4 copy, apparently that comes with a free PS5 upgrade.

• 2 months later...

Klonoa has released today, and there's a demo now available on all consoles that it's releasing on!

• The title was changed to Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series (REMASTERED COLLECTION OF KLONOA 1 AND 2) - July 8th 2022 - GAME AND DEMO OUT NOW!

It looks better than the crappy Wii version and Klonoa 2 is finally free from PS2 prison making this the undisputed best game collection of the goat

Weirdly, I get the opposite impression. So to my eyes the Wii version still looks and feels pretty superior (and personally I prefer Klonoa’s model in that game as well). There’s also something kinda flat and lifeless with the artstyle in the new collection.

I have played the switch demo, then went back to the Wii iteration and it feels like something was lost in this second remaster… but at the same time I appreciate the intent was to base these off the PS1/PS2 originals so they’ll be closer in feel to those games I suppose.

But hey, a Klonoa 2 re-release at long last right? Very sweet.

As a SONIC fan, I also prefer the Wii version of the character to the original one!!...

I read a fewdays ago that if the compilation is successful enough, another collection could be released (probably the 3 GBA games, and maybe KLONOA BEACH VOLLEY and KLONOA : MOONLIGHT MUSEUM) and even KLONOA 3!!...

If you're a SONIC fan and don't know KLONOA, it's time to meet a great charming new universe!!...

Almost all KLONOA fans are also SONIC fans, but if more SONIC fans could be KLONOA fans, we would have more KLONOA games!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

So I have finished the main story of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Klonoa 2: Lunatea’s Veil within PRS on PS5 (Japanese Pre-Order helped me out with DtP lol).

it’s certainly worth getting it compared to Sonic Origins (same US price btw so if you couldn’t stomach $40 dollars for 4 Genesis/Mega Drive games, then I don’t know if you would handle that for both a Wii and PS2 game).

There are some issues with the collection tho, especially with Klonoa 2, but I can let some of those issues slide if they do get fixed up via updates… that is *if* we get updates for Phantasy Reverie Series…

Overall…D29A90F9-3237-4591-AB49-5E46AFABE177.jpeg.16972e232c42feb2553308da5067aaf4.jpeg
Go buy it on PSN, Xbox, eShop and Steam.

I finished KLONOA 2 yesterday : it's a wonderful game, even better than the first one!!...

SONIC fans, go & buy & play the  KLONOA compilation, it will bring so much happyness in your lives and stars in your eyes!!...

• 1 month later...

Played a bit of the remastered Door to Phantomile some weeks ago and, to my surprise, I didn't like it that much. In terms of aesthetics, this version lost a lot of the charm from the original title.

The visuals + the atmosphere were one of the main things that made me fall in love with PS1 DtP(even after all those years, that beautiful intro cutscene is still burned into my mind!), but, so far, the remaster looks very lifeless(and a bit clunky)to me...gameplay is fine, though. Didn't have any problem with it. As long as you aren't nit-picky like me and don't mind easy games, you will have fun. 

I think I may like the Lunatea's Veil remaster more since I haven't touched the game for many years. I beat it in the early 2000s, but barely remember anything about the story or levels.

I got a physical version for Switch and I really enjoyed it. They carry the charm of older games that most games today don't have. My perception is not skewed by nostalgia since I have never played a Klonoa game before.

Even both of them combined felt pretty short and left me wanting more. I really wish Bandai Namco would make more Klonoa games, but I don't expect it. They just made remakes to bring in some extra money because it's cheaper to remake a game instead of designing one from scratch. They even outsourced the remake to a different company.

I think Klonoa would work amazingly well as a fully 3D platformer. All the mechanics are well suited for it. If they plan to make a Klonoa 3, I really hope they'll make it in 3D.