Awoo.

TMNT Goes Nickelodeon

Senator NinjaShark

Wait...John Cena? I'm...not sure how to take that. It's kind of funny, but holy shit does Drax look like a generic anime villain. Not quite sure why they couldn't just go with Shredder. I can understand wanting to try some new things, but they're throwing out pretty much everything that makes the turtles the turtles.

I really do wonder how this series will turn out in the end, but to list my immediate concerns; what I see of the art style reminds me in some ways of the Fast Forward season in the 2003 series. Still need to give that one a second chance (as a kid, I was blindy disliking it without letting it stand on its own), but to my understanding, even fans of the 2003 show weren't too keen on the Fast Forward season.

Also, Splinter looks like he belongs in a Ren & Stimpy episode. I almost expect him to scream at the turtles in the most over-the-top manner possible; like, even the angriest version of Raphael would be left speechless by that temper.

And then looking at the details; some changes sound interesting, but it really looks like they're changing stuff for the sake of changing it. I mean, if they want the show to have its own identity, that's fine, but I dunno if this is the way to go.

So yeah, I have my concerns. I don't know if we can expect quality out of the show or not.

• 2 weeks later...

At long last, we have a trailer:

...Really not liking the animation. But at least the voice acting and new theme song sound pretty nice.

Can't say I'm a fan of the voices either. Nothing's going to top 2012's voice cast.

Restating it from what I said in a recent status reply and detailing a bit more...

When the actual action is happening, the animation feels very stylized and actually somewhat appealing and decent.

However, when we see the turtles just stand and talk, they suffer from the same cheap, lazy Flash animation where body parts feel like they're sliding and way too static. Something that plagues a lot of animations from my country, and it sickens me.

I mean, Flash can look good. I see a lot of shows and movies that utilize Flash in great ways. One that comes right off the bat is My Little Pony FIM. I'm no Brony, but from what I saw in regards to snippets of the show and the movie, it's very fluid and it surprised me that it was even done in Flash.

Not the Turtles, though. And that's a damn shame. If the animation retained a good style consistently, I would be able to perhaps bypass the terrible designs.

But they don't. Still looks like shit. Voice acting is nothing to write home about either.

The colors and lighting are excellent, and the action scenes are looking pretty fluid and fun.  The compositions of a lot of those scenes are really well done too; I'd love to take a look at this show's storyboards at some time.  That said, the slower moments are a bit static, but the Turtles seem to remain generally expressive in spite of the loss of fluidity, so I can deal with it.

Really like what I'm seeing overall though.

While the animation looks fluid at times, it still looks pretty bleh all around and still not really liking the designs and looks, it doesn't seem to fit the Flash module. Also, VAs are just borderline average too, nothing particularly noteworthy along with the writing/dialogue presented.

• 3 weeks later...

Playmates has put out previews for the toys we saw earlier this year:

http://www.toyhypeusa.com/2018/04/06/playmates-toys-rise-of-the-tmnt-updated-details-images/

I figures this was worth sharing because the profiles reveal more about the cast. Namely:

-Raphael completely retains his original personality. Brute force, short temper, impulsive behavior, etc. He's the leader only because he's the oldest and proclaimed himself in charge. He starts off the series not being qualified for the role at all.

-The Foot Clan exists in this universe. Those Origami Ninjas we've been seeing are the new Foot Soldiers. No mention of Shredder, though.

-Splinter is more eccentric and laid-back than previous incarnations. He hasn't been training the Turtles very seriously because there have never been any major threats to them.

-Splinter is once again using the "human turned into mutant rat" origin.

-Leo is still as intelligent and skilled as ever, but he isn't the leader this time because he's not as responsible and "just wants to be a teen."

• 2 months later...

New villains have finally been revealed, and still no sign of Shredder or any other fan-favorites:

Spoiler

orW_oGlC_MQ.jpg

eyQ4U-a2KJQ.jpg

Scott Cawthon should totally sue them for that last one.

Every time I see more of this show, I feel sadder TMNT 2012 died for it.

They look like the rejects from Gorillaz and Ren and Stimpy blended together.

And Albearto? They're doing some Freddy Fazbear sh*t, really? It was better in Gravity Falls.

On 6/15/2018 at 4:27 PM, AdventChild said:

They look like the rejects from Gorillaz and Ren and Stimpy blended together.

And Albearto? They're doing some Freddy Fazbear sh*t, really? It was better in Gravity Falls.

And Gravity Falls wasn’t even intentional.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:29 PM, Forte-Metallix said:

New villains have finally been revealed, and still no sign of Shredder or any other fan-favorites:

Hide contents

orW_oGlC_MQ.jpg

eyQ4U-a2KJQ.jpg

Scott Cawthon should totally sue them for that last one.

See picture* closes web browser for the night*

Theme song's here, and it's definitely worthy of the name TMNT!

If only the show as a whole looked as awesome as this intro. (Or at least had the same animation quality) I think we'd really have something here.

No one brought this up - if you want an early glimpse of the show - Nick has uploaded a motion comic.

That opening was insanely gorgeous, bad character designs be darned. Theme itself was pretty good, too. They shortened and pepped it up without losing the flavor of the original theme.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

On another note - I pray that those motion comics aren't indicative of the quality of writing, because if so? Ugh, no. I found the majority of the jokes fell flat on their faces and were somewhat annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

These new heroes in half-shells will be rising from the sewers later this month!

http://nickalive.blogspot.com/2018/07/nickelodeon-usa-to-air-first-episode-of.html

Spoiler

Cowabunga! To celebrate Nickelodeon premiering Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the network's brand-new 2D-animated series which reimagines the iconic characters of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a fresh new way, in September 2018, Nick USA will be airing the very first episode of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a Turtley Awesome sneak-peek on Friday 20th July 2018 at 9:30 PM (ET/PT), following Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Sports 2018 at 8:00 PM (ET/PT)!

Rise-Of-The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Cast-Stars-Characters-Character-Art-Gallery-Nickelodeon-TMNT-Nick-YTV.png

In the very first episode of Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, "Mystic Mayhem", the Turtles discover for the first time that they are not the weirdest things in New York!

Following the US airing of the sneak-peek, YTV in Canada will also air the first episode a week later, on Friday 27th July 2018 at 5:00 PM ET/PT!

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles return in Nickelodeon's upcoming Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a brand-new 2D-animated series which reimagines the characters in a fresh new way, slated to premiere in September 2018! Visit nick.com, YTV.com, the Nick App and the YTV GO app to find out more information.

What's more, the Turtles' ages and new mystic abilities have been revealed!

Spoiler
RAPH | THE LEADER

Raphael-Rise-Of-The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Character-Nickelodeon-TMNT-Nick-Raph-YTV_With-Logo.jpg

SPECIES: SNAPPING TURTLE
WEAPON: TWIN TONFA
POWER: SMASH-JITSU

LEO | THE RASCAL

Leonardo-Rise-Of-The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Character-Nickelodeon-TMNT-Nick-Leo-YTV_With-Logo.jpg

SPECIES: RED-EARED SLIDER
WEAPON: OADACHI
POWER: PORTAL POWER

DONNIE | THE TECH WIZ

Donatello-Rise-Of-The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Character-Nickelodeon-TMNT-Nick-Donnie-YTV_With-Logo.jpg

SPECIES: SOFTSHELL TURTLE
WEAPON: TECH-BO, BATTLE SHELL
POWER: TRANSFORMING TECH-BO

MIKEY | THE ARTIST

Michelangelo-Rise-Of-The-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Character-Nickelodeon-TMNT-Nick-Mikey-YTV_With-Logo.jpg

SPECIES: BOX TURTLE
WEAPON: KUSARI-FUNDO
POWER: MYSTIC WHIP

How the hell are these massive jacked up reptiles only in their early teens? I figured they were 16 at best.

Anyway, it’s kinda suprising how well the reception this show is getting, I was expecting it to be the TMNT’s TTG but it’s kinda growing on me to be honest.

The only thing holding me back from this besides the bad redesigns is the dialogue.

It’s cringy early 2000s saturday morning level at worst.

Raph character montage, with a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment towards the start:

Did you catch it? Raph has his classic sai! Screenshots of Leo holding two swords have also been spotted, so it seems all the Turtles will have their old weapons at some point.

• Chuckle 1

To be frank, I could probably look past most of the changes, but the quality of the writing will make or break it for me. If it's anywhere near as bad as the motion comic released a little while ago, my hopes aren't high.

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer, showing off the new bad guys and revealing why the Turtles don't stick to their classic weapons:

Gotta say, I'm feeling a bit more positive about the animation and writing. Maybe we've got something here, after all. Time will tell.

I dunno. I still don't like it at all. Both the writing and animation just seem bad to me.

I'm totally conflicted with the show. The writing seems okay. The character designs are super meh. The animation is kinda janky and rough. But somehow at the same time, the action scenes look super dynamic and exciting.

Guess we'll find out in September.