Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

There have been native re-built ports for Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD in the past. But this will be the first native re-built version of Sonic 3K since Sonic Jam won't it? I think besides the games running as they should, and having a current hardware version of 3K available, my biggest draw is what Iizuka mentioned about the titles having features not in the Sega Ages versions on Switch.

They could just be including the content from the iOS/Android versions, since the Ages versions didn't have things like Hidden Palace which would be nice. Perhaps the Drop-Dash? What 3K content was left on the cutting room floor that they could tinker with, or would they perhaps add Mighty and Ray since Mania helped bring them back into the spotlight. 

There was one rebuilt port...

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

There was one rebuilt port...

How I wish that happened. We can hazard a guess as to why it didn't. What with the long standing music issues mentioned whenever Sonic 3 pops up. Besides the extended Blue Spheres we can only wonder what Taxman would have added to their version.

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

How I wish that happened. We can hazard a guess as to why it didn't. What with the long standing music issues mentioned whenever Sonic 3 pops up. Besides the extended Blue Spheres we can only wonder what Taxman would have added to their version.

He had plans to create a handful of new, single act zones based upon the competition stages. That would have been a huge amount of work though, so I don't if he'd have been able to do all five of them. The vast majority of the assets for Hidden Palace in S2 already existed, whereas these would have had to have been entirely new. Plus SEGA may or may not have agreed to such a big addition. They already rejected Desert Dazzle in SCD because including it would have changed the game too much.

Frankly, I'm all for them adding to the Classics in any way that they can. All of them are readily available in their original forms as emulated ROMs already (except CD, which is about as faithful as a total remake could be), so why not go all out with enhancements and additions? Ensure that everything is optional and the original design is not changed, and it's all good. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:22 PM, Blue Blood said:

and will go against Iizuka's own comments. 

Never seen that before.

Still, we got news that Frontiers was delayed to 2022 because of its quality, which is a great thing, but considering this is Sonic Team, that fact doesn't mean shit, honestly. 

I just keep wondering why we haven't got proper details on Sonic Origins yet. All we know is that it exists (and they swear it's not emulations), but it could be as barebones as it gets in terms of extra content as far as we know. That's just some terrible marketing. 

If I had to guess, it might just boil down to Origins being a smaller game, made for less money, and presumably will retail at a budget price. Usually that means less marketing to go along with it. That and the biggest question about Origins is what games are in the collection, besides the featured 1, 2, 3&K, and CD. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even know what will be contained within Origins when they made that first trailer. Hopefully the next trailer will show off the entire game and extras list. (I mean, assuming there are other games, but I'd be shocked if they didn't even include the Game Gear games.)

Wouldn't surprise that when the trailer drops, we get a release date and it isn't that long after that. It isn't going the same kindof elongated drip of information I'm sure Frontiers will get over 2022.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Never seen that before.

Still, we got news that Frontiers was delayed to 2022 because of its quality, which is a great thing, but considering this is Sonic Team, that fact doesn't mean shit, honestly. 

I just keep wondering why we haven't got proper details on Sonic Origins yet. All we know is that it exists (and they swear it's not emulations), but it could be as barebones as it gets in terms of extra content as far as we know. That's just some terrible marketing. 

Have a gander:

In an exclusive interview with The Sonic Stadium, Iizuka revealed that more work is going into Sonic Origins than fans might expect, when compared to past retro compilations such as Sonic Mega Collection and SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

“I’m not able to speak to the product details yet, but I can tell you that this will not be a compilation title running off emulation. We are planning on supporting a 16:9 full screen game for ease of play. For anyone that hasn’t played any of those original games, Sonic Origins will be perfect for you.”

It strikes me as odd that it's been over half a year since this compilation of old titles announced, without any footage and not even a logo. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that development on the project had barely even started by the time that it was announced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that development on the project had barely even started by the time that it was announced. 

I'm sure it wasn't even 0,1% done at the time it was announced. It felt like SEGA heard that's something the fanbase wanted / theorized and said: "-Fuck it, put that on the presentation, we'll figure it later how to do it".

Well not that there was reason to doubt it was still being worked on, or we would get info at some point. But Katie has mentioned that it's still chugging along, and they still can't talk about it yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've just spent a few hours on Sonic's Wikia and my head is full of dreams!!...

I really hope the SONIC CD part of SONIC ORIGINS will have everything Christian Whitehead wanted to had in 2011, I mean Desert Dazzle (R2) and Final Fever (R9) :

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Desert_Dazzle

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fever_(R9)

Same thing for Sonic 2: Please add all (or at least the most famous) missing Zones like Wood Zone and Sand Shower Zone (and of course Hidden Palace from the 2013 remaster)... and Egg Gauntlet Zone instead of Boss Attack Zone!!...

I heard Christian Whitehead wanted to create full new Zones after the 5 "mini-Zones" we all know : Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace and Endless Mine!!...
If it happens in SONIC ORIGINS, the compilation would be truly amazing!!...

Please Sonic Team, let Christian Whitehead free to please us!!...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm willing to bet Christian Whitehead has (almost) nothing to do with Sonic Origins. At -best-, maybe they licensed the Star Engine for the game, but he's working on his own game, plus he was involved with Freedom Planet 2's engine.

Honestly at this point we simply do not know enough about Origins- to what extent will it have new features, how significant will they be? But I somehow doubt there are going to be whole new zones added to these games.

• Thumbs Up 5

13 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

hey maybe we might finally see something

Probably not, but they showed off a lot of Forces gameplay there so it's possible

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Probably not, but they showed off a lot of Forces gameplay there so it's possible

Edit: nevermind, didn't notice this is the Origins thread, lol. I guess it's possible, but I'm still rather doubtful for some reason. I'm betting on a Sonic Central.

Edited by Enesephus
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2022 at 7:19 PM, BubbleButt TV said:

hey maybe we might finally see something

lol lmao rofl etc.

they even had a section dedicated to showing off new game collections and I was so sure Origins was gonna pop up.

Just looking back at earlier posts and remembered this was announced in May. In roughly 3 months it will have been a year since this was first announced and we have had basically nothing since apart from a mention in an interview, and a reminder from Katie that it's still a thing.

This has either been a real pain for them to develop for some reason, or there are some major extras with extensive work going into them. The radio silence on what, at this point anyway, appears to be a basic 5 game collection is really confusing.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Just looking back at earlier posts and remembered this was announced in May. In roughly 3 months it will have been a year since this was first announced and we have had basically nothing since apart from a mention in an interview, and a reminder from Katie that it's still a thing.

This has either been a real pain for them to develop for some reason, or there are some major extras with extensive work going into them. The radio silence on what, at this point anyway, appears to be a basic 5 game collection is really confusing.

I'm pretty sure they just don't care about it much. I don't think they've had a hard time or have forgotten about it, I th8ink it's just not a big priority. That or they're planning to release it with the movie.

5 minutes ago, Tenko said:

In roughly 3 months it will have been a year since this was first announced and we have had basically nothing since apart from a mention in an interview, and a reminder from Katie that it's still a thing.

Man, has it really been that long?
I keep forgetting this project is even a thing. It just felt like such a mediocre excuse for a collection considering what we've had before that I've had no reason to really care about it.

I guess it's nice that it has Sonic CD to stand out from previous collections, but... is that it?

• Thumbs Up 1

We got the Sonic movie 3 logo (and Sonic movie 2 isn't even out yet) before this game's logo. Hell, Sonic movie 3 won't even be out until 2023 or 2024 at this rate.

...and last we heard from Iizuka, Origins is supposed to be out before Sonic movie 2. What the fuck is even going on with this title?

Paramount managed to get TWO movies out during the pandemic because they have confidence and are excited about Sonic, and they let us know about movie 3 being on the way AND a spin-off show about Knuckles from the movies. Buuuut Sega is still MIA and taking half a decade to release the next game, and they still haven't shown any gameplay for it or any other info on Origins or anything. It really makes it seem like Sega, especially compared to Paramount, really has no confidence this this brand. It's so frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 4:16 AM, Muglés said:

We got the Sonic movie 3 logo (and Sonic movie 2 isn't even out yet) before this game's logo. Hell, Sonic movie 3 won't even be out until 2023 or 2024 at this rate.

...and last we heard from Iizuka, Origins is supposed to be out before Sonic movie 2. What the fuck is even going on with this title?

Paramount managed to get TWO movies out during the pandemic because they have confidence and are excited about Sonic, and they let us know about movie 3 being on the way AND a spin-off show about Knuckles from the movies. Buuuut Sega is still MIA and taking half a decade to release the next game, and they still haven't shown any gameplay for it or any other info on Origins or anything. It really makes it seem like Sega, especially compared to Paramount, really has no confidence this this brand. It's so frustrating.

We did see more of Sonic Frontiers though.

Does Sonic Origins really need a massive reveal so quickly? It's a complication of old games that we had played before. Nothing special. The only "main" thing that I'm surprised that Sega hasn't announced yet is the game list. That's it.

The more I think of Sonic Origins, the more annoyed I get. It's very clear that SEGA prematurely announced it just to give fans something to look forward to (I guess Frontiers, the movie, and the Netflix show aren't enough according to SEGA?) and not because it made it far enough into development to start showing it off.

Them saying "We'll have more information later into the year" really didn't help things either. I think when you reach the moment where people start worrying it may have gotten cancelled is the moment when you should start considering giving news. Just saying.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:22 PM, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

We did see more of Sonic Frontiers though.

Does Sonic Origins really need a massive reveal so quickly? It's a complication of old games that we had played before. Nothing special. The only "main" thing that I'm surprised that Sega hasn't announced yet is the game list. That's it.

Sonic Origins is the first time Sonic 3 and Knuckles has gotten an official re-release in years, that alone is a pretty huge deal. On top of that, it's not just emulated roms this time, it's widescreen remakes/remasters. Those facts alone can bring a wave of speculation of what quality of life improvements will be included, or whether we're getting Whitehead's Sonic remasters or new, in house remasters of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD.

Simply writing this off as "another compilation of re-releases" isn't giving Origins enough credit, in my opinion. They're clearly trying to go beyond just being Sonic 1 and 2 for the 70th time, especially with the inclusion of 3K.

I just hope we get something soon, really. I wanna see how the games will run, and the extras they might (or should) add.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 2/16/2022 at 4:16 AM, Muglés said:

This exactly. If they had trust in the brand as a whole as they claim they would give every game the Mania treatment when it comes to marketing.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, pppp said:

This exactly. If they had trust in the brand as a whole as they claim they would give every game the Mania treatment when it comes to marketing.

I wouldn't go that far in terms of marketing, but they really do need to step up their game here. Sonic's origins (har har) are video games, and while Sonic is most certainly a multi-media franchise, the games are what put Sonic on the map to begin with.

It's kinda stupid that literally every other branch is getting better marketing than the gaming branch. Even the mobile games get more of a push, come on!

On 2/27/2022 at 7:18 AM, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I guess Frontiers, the movie, and the Netflix show aren't enough according to SEGA?

Or the fans. It's never enough for some people. I've heard plenty of complaints about how underwhelming Sonic Central was.