Awoo.

Am I the only one who hates new Amy?

Misfit The Hedgehog

I think people are over exaggerating because they grew up with that Amy. I frankly don't miss the crush, it was so one note, I haven't forgotten about that. 

I'm aware she used to be other things as well, kind, cute and full of energy, I loved that in Amy, I definitely miss that sprint of life she had. Now she is... "token girl" I think.

I still think they can fix it, she's already mature and that's great, she is independent, still loves Sonic secretly, she isn't the damsel in distress from classic or the stalker from Adventure, you guys are always looking for characters development, here is one... And you hate it.

Look, I don't mind independent Amy who has other things on her mind besides her crush, she's also still very strong, and still kind and cute, she's just more generic now... Fix that with more energy in her character. With that, she's perfect, she's the best of both worlds.

3 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I think people are over exaggerating because they grew up with that Amy. I frankly don't miss the crush, it was so one note, I haven't forgotten about that. 

This is kind of the crux of the issue; if you grew up and liked Amy as she was portrayed, then changing her so significantly is going to sting harder. 

I do think there's a happy medium you can have with the character, but her prior characterization was so unpopular that I don't think they're ever going to go back to it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

I brought it up because the crush was the biggest complaint people had for Amy.

Her personality isn't gone. Amy's still the same pink hedgehog who still loves Sonic, the difference is that Amy doesn't let her feelings take control over her whenever Sonic's in the same room.

Considering the games had degraded anyone not named Sonic or Eggman into Sonic worshippers that can't do jack without him, that complaint isn't unique to Amy.

It's kind of annoying how everytime you bring up Amy's current personality, everyone jumps to the assumption that you want her to be obssesed about Sonic. That's not what I meant at all. I tried my best to avoid even mentioning it yet you still took it there.

It is gone. BOOM Amy's personality isn't. But regular Amy's is. I don't see what difference you see, or how you could see a difference, since she's barely in the games.

2 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

It's kind of annoying how everytime you bring up Amy's current personality, everyone jumps to the assumption that you want her to be obssesed about Sonic. That's not what I meant at all. I tried my best to avoid even mentioning it yet you still took it there.

It is gone. BOOM Amy's personality isn't. But regular Amy's is. I don't see what difference you see, or how you could see a difference, since she's barely in the games.

Amy's old personality wasn't popular dude, so people are going to associate the absolute worst in it sadly. 

5 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

I'm aware she used to be other things as well, kind, cute and full of energy, I loved that in Amy, I definitely miss that sprint of life she had. Now she is... "token girl" I think.

I still think they can fix it, she's already mature and that's great, she is independent, still loves Sonic secretly, she isn't the damsel in distress from classic or the stalker from Adventure, you guys are always looking for characters development, here is one... And you hate it.

Look, I don't mind independent Amy who has other things on her mind besides her crush, she's also still very strong, and still kind and cute, she's just more generic now... Fix that with more energy in her character. With that, she's perfect, she's the best of both worlds.

Hey, I think people are over-exaggerating a silly running gag. But again, I intentionally avoided talking about the crush and people are still making it seem like I did. But otherwise, I fully agree!

29 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

Because people saw it as her defining trait. As much as I like Amy in the Adventure era games and the current comics I have no problem recognizing that people where straight up annoyed with her crush. I'm not saying she didn't have any non-Sonic aspects to her personality but it's the one that stuck with most people.

29 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

My experience with the current Amy is from the IDW run, where the difference is that she has other concerns that isn't trying to figure out how to get Sonic to marry her. As for the games, characterization went to crap for everyone involved not just Amy.

32 minutes ago, Jack at Home said:

Secretly to who exactly?

It was one of her main things to be fair, which boys found very annoying, and girls found offensive. Then there where fans who enjoyed that. They are definitely not going back to it, times have changed, Amy has to adapt, and frankly she's a lot more popular now thanks to her new boring personality. People seem to like her more as strong and independent at least.

5 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Because people saw it as her defining trait. As much as I like Amy in the Adventure era games and the current comics I have no problem recognizing that people where straight up annoyed with her crush. I'm not saying she didn't have any non-Sonic aspects to her personality but it's the one that stuck with most people.

My experience with the current Amy is from the IDW run, where the difference is that she has other concerns that isn't trying to figure out how to get Sonic to marry him. As for the games, characterization went to crap for everyone involved not just Amy.

Secretly to who exactly?

Not sure. To Sonic? To herself? Games writing is awful, we can agree on that but, since Lost World she's like "I never told you I love..." in that one cutscene, same for Boom.

30 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

That's the best response I've seen so far. But since people brought it up, I don't think too much about her old crush. I don't think it was ever that deep like how people made it. This is series is first and foremost for children and about blue hedgehogs in shoes. Of course it's going to get silly. I don't mind her crush being sidelined at all for her better traits- because I want is actually more of her Gamma and Shadow scenes. I just don't know how getting rid of all her traits=maturity.

I can see why they utilised her crush on Sonic a lot since it was a key trait and ambition they could intersect very easily into the plot. Amy was flanderised to high heaven but she at least rarely felt like a generic hero with no other motives to her, which is what I think puts some people off the newer rendition, she's just another obedient pair of hands. Boom tends to get around this much easier because the silly petty nature of each episode's dilemma allows for mundane goals. Amy wants notice in fine designing, to start a restaurant, or to collect cute little collectable toys? Well so does Eggman most of the time. Easy plot. In more serious big scope plots where Eggman or other villains are treated as a threat it is harder to utilise, so either Amy becomes a more sensible but relatively bland and ambitionless soldier or she kinda forces herself into the plot as annoying comic relief. This is maybe where Amy being the everygirl in terms of her livelihood is a hinderance.

This is kinda the same problem that befallen Antoine in the comics. It made sense to develop Antoine from just chasing Sally or besting Sonic, but the problem was after they made him more competent and took away these delusions of grandeur, there wasn't much else to do with him plot wise besides just make him another reliable soldier. SatAm's bungling ambitious Antoine was actually something of a spotlight hog, while Archie's later more competent Antoine kinda struggled to be anything more than a bit player besides the odd times they made him pompous or cowardly again. It's difficult to develop a character positively and then add something new which doesn't negate it, it's possible, some characters do keep getting ongoing arcs, but within this franchise it's not well known to be done successfully.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, the main things we can pint point on Amy's current "problem" is that she's "too bland". On one hand, people like that she's not "a Sonic obsessed stalker" anymore. Whether you agree with that perception is irrelevant, I'm making a point here. And people like how she's more "independent". But the flipside is that Amy has no definable personality traits anymore outside of being just another...character in the shuffle

On the flipside, her old personality simply wasn't popular. Even at her "best", she was arguably just a tagalong who forced herself into the plot while the "big boys' handled the actual business. At her best, she's mostly just there to be rescued by Sonic. At her worst, it's actually kind of sexist lol. 

So really, how much you like her current personality hinges on how much you found her previous traits "problematic". But given the consensus that her previous characterization was simply unpopular, I highly doubt they're ever going to return to it. 

This video pretty accurately describes how Amy's character has shifted; "strong and independent" are not the words anyone would have used about 10 years ago. 

Again, it was never about Amy being independent. It was about dropping all of what made her ticked just because of something unrelated. You're still putting words in my mouth. Speaking of my words, remember how I said how I liked how Amy was the chick who you didn't want to get on her bad side? Sega thinks the same way in the video you just showed me. 

Either way, Amy being independent is nothing new. She said she would in Adventure 1. 

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Even at her "best", she was arguably just a tagalong who forced herself into the plot while the "big boys' handled the actual business. 

So being a supporting character is a bad thing?

But the real question is, how much longer are you going to keep insinuating I want Amy to be a damsel in distress even after I keep saying I don't and why I don't? 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

Again, it was never about Amy being independent. It was about dropping all of what made her ticked just because of something unrelated. You're still putting words in my mouth. Speaking of my words, remember how I said how I liked how Amy was the chick who you didn't want to get on her bad side? Sega thinks the same way in the video you just showed me. 

Either way, Amy being independent is nothing new. She said she would in Adventure 1. 

But the real question is, how much longer are you going to keep insinuating I want Amy to be a damsel in distress even after I keep saying I don't and why I don't? 

You're missing the point of what I was saying; I didn't say that's what you said, I was commenting how that was the public perception of Amy both within  the fanbase and out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see this is another topic people are set on, I just wanted to say I agree with OP. I didn't care for how her crush was played up in Sonic X or Heroes, but I'm not really interested in her newer portrayal as much either. There are aspects that got lost over time that I miss. Sonic Mania Adventures was another example of her showing compassion too. I didn't really see Amy as sexist, but I admit seeing her mentioned as just "the only girl character" in the Japanese Sonic R character blurb got a sad laugh out of me.

5 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

I can see this is another topic people are set on, I just wanted to say I agree with OP. I didn't care for how her crush was played up in Sonic X or Heroes, but I'm not really interested in her newer portrayal as much either. There are aspects that got lost over time that I miss. Sonic Mania Adventures was another example of her showing compassion too. I didn't really see Amy as sexist, but I admit seeing her mentioned as just "the only girl character" in the Japanese Sonic R character blurb got a sad laugh out of me.

Mania Adventures is actually how I would want Amy to be like.

And wow at "the girl character". Worst part about it is I believe you without even seeing it. Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Amy is actually incredibly sexist when you actually stop and think about it, and it's depressing... She's defined less by her actions and more by her innate traits; such as "liking Sonic" or "being nice". It's telling that this topic's main subject is how she's somehow less interesting when she takes more action

Its honestly incredibly difficult to reconcile this character. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Amy is actually incredibly sexist when you actually stop and think about it, and it's depressing... She's defined less by her actions and more by her innate traits; such as "liking Sonic" or "being nice". It's telling that this topic's main subject is how she's somehow less interesting when she takes more action

Its honestly incredibly difficult to reconcile this character. 

Wait...she's sexist by being a good person? Whaaat?

32 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

remember how I said how I liked how Amy was the chick who you didn't want to get on her bad side? 

Just casually dropping this here before you turn this conversation in the wrong direction...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

Wait...she's sexist by being a good person? Whaaat?

Being a good person in of itself is not an interesting trait; Sonic is a good person too, so what makes Amy unique in that regard?

7 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

...she's somehow less interesting when she takes more action

What's up with this?

This doesn't make sense.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Being a good person in of itself is not an interesting trait; Sonic is a good person too, so what makes Amy unique in that regard?

I think, the stark contrast between Amy and Sonic was when Amy stopped Sonic from destroying Gamma. 

I already explained that what made her sweetness tick for me personally was its contrast with her temper. 

9 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What's up with this?

This doesn't make sense.

Basically, despite the fact that Amy is much more involved in the action now, and "independent"  the topic's main subject is how that she has lost her interesting traits and feels her being more involved in the action makes her "boring". 

8 minutes ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

I think, the stark contrast between Amy and Sonic was when Amy stopped Sonic from destroying Gamma. 

I already explained that what made her sweetness tick for me personally was its contrast with her temper. 

yes, but do you notice how that specific action is more focused on motivating Gamma more than anything else? I'm not saying it is not a good moment, BUT in this specific instance, Amy's personality serves to motivate another character. @Diogenes touched on this before, how she's being used as a plot device to get Gamma to act in a certain way. 

By comparison; Sonic's kindness is shown when he frees Chaos of it's hatred and anger in the final boss. And hey, that directly wraps up the plot. 

19 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The part you call "sexist".

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Misfit The Hedgehog said:

Her arc in Adventure was less about being independent in itself and more becoming someone Sonic would have no choice but to respect.

It's merely a decent part of it.

38 minutes ago, DryLagoon said:

How fitting, since it brings to mind one of the things said about Tangle early on.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

And that is??????

How Amy can motivates others to do more for themselves and others.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

How Amy can motivates others to do more for themselves and others.

And that's my point; is her main worth as a character not in what she does or her own goals, but in how she motivates others to act?