Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Or perhaps sprites are just better looking and more visually appealing than pre-rendered visuals in a 2D game? Food for thought.

I don't really see how that's inherently better. I mean, the visuals I saw look rich, deep, bright, and colorful. I like it.

I like Sonic 2, of course, too, but. It just seems like using different tools to get the same effect.

See? This is the exact shit I was talking about! You 're not actually arguing, you're just trying to make it sound like anyone who doesn't share your view on the subject is retarded for not doing so. I'm sick and tired of this shit.

Let's be honest though, basing a dislike of AN ENTIRE GAME based on A CHARACTER'S EYES isn't exactly the most intelligent act in the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

As mentioned before I wouldn't expect sonic to remain the only playable character forever. After all wasn't it mentioned in the leak that tails might be playable in episode 2, or was that just speculation? Either way it is still up in the air, and I am sure sega would deliver. At this point we can say the whole game is completable as just sonic. Isn't that all those "sonic only omg" people ever want? I honestly would love to see a full cast of optional dlc characters ranging from knuckles to big the cat.

I love you for mentioning Big~

XD That's actually a very nice idea. I would love to see DLC for the other characters, assuming Sonic will be the only character. :3 I really hope that Tail's being playable isn't just a rumor... XD I miss running around as the lil' fox.

Because as we all know, the tint of Sonic's irises are going to ruin the entire experience. The green eyes were the reason Sonic 2006 failed, guys. The green eyes are the reason no one liked Unleashed. You can blame the green eyes for everything! Oh man SEGA, you've ruined it for us all! I've lost faith in SEGA because of the green eye-

Okay, I'm really tired of the whole "green-eye" bit. It's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I like classic Sonic too, but the design that has been established for over 10 years is perfectly fine. It's great. I think it's fantastic. The new model looks much cooler.

As for the homing attack, so what? Iizuka's behind the game, so what? You're letting your nostalgia permeate through reality.

And most importantly, it's just a game.

JUST.

A.

GAME.

A fun game, hopefully, a Sonic game, certainly, but it's just a game. Something that's meant to pass the time away when you have nothing better to do. Look I love Sonic the Hedgehog, but this is just ridiculous. Getting butt-hurt over Sonic's irises is synonymous with complaining about what font they use for the logo on a board game. No, in fact, it's even less petty than that.

Seriously, grow up! Have fun with Sonic 4. If you're going to whine about it, don't buy it, and just go to Retro and make your own game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen some speculation that what we've seen is a mock up of gameplay, rather than actual gameplay. Hence the pre rendered visuals.

Yeah seriously, the complaints over eye color need to stop. I didn't even understand what the issue with them was until someone broke it down and explained it to me, it's incredibly stupid. xD

...unless. The green eyes... were........ GUMBALL EYES @_@ *insert dramatic music here*

-Iceman

Just had a thought:

What numbered Sonic game is this? 4

What is Sonic 4's tentative release? July

What is the biggest holiday of July (at least in the USA)? July 4th

What are Sonic's primary colors? Red, white and blue

Hmmm....

Press Release -

Previously teased as Project Needlemouse, the first Sonic the Hedgehog™ title developed exclusively for download is confirmed!

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (TBC, 2010) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced the first game developed specifically for the download market from the world’s fastest hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I will be available via download on Microsoft XBLA, Sony PSN and Nintendo WiiWare, bringing with it the addictive classic 2D side scrolling action that Sonic fans have been waiting for.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I offers sublime 2D gameplay through beautifully rendered HD environments. Fans will be able to speed through each level with the classic Spin Dash move, and destroy enemies using the Homing Attack. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I sees the return of the much-loved special stages and takes players through a variety of different Zones, all inspired by the Mega Drive era.

Each level from Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I is separately selectable from the main menu, making it easy for players to replay their favorite sections as they wish. Long time fans will not be disappointed as they rejoin the action and face all new intense boss battles against everyone’s favourite villain – the ever devious and evil – Dr. Eggman!

“Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I is a return to the classic game style of the original Sonic games” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director SEGA Europe Ltd. “It’s great to be able to offer fans of the Sonic series the type of game they have been asking for in a high definition experience.”

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I will be available in Summer 2010 for XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare. For more information about Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I please visit http://www.sega.com and for assets please visit www.sega-press.com.

About SEGA® Europe Limited:

SEGA® Europe Limited is the European Distribution arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, and a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. SEGA Europe’s web site is located at www.sega-europe.com.

About SEGA® of America,Inc:

SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA® Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America’s Web site is located at www.sega.com/usa

# # #

http://www.sega.co.uk/news/?n=3896

I don't really know about this, man. While it is rational to keep my reservations about something I've only seen 3 seconds of, it's really hard not to jump to conclusions and wave my fist like a rampant Pro-lifer.

The homing attack does little to faze me; for its inclusion is probably going to be subtle and its role nominal such as in Sonic Advance. Who really used it? What bothers me with this video is the... well, blandness.

The classic games built off each other, they didn't just rehash the same tried-n'-true formula. I would like to have seen a game that looks like the classics and plays like them, but doesn't look like them in a way where they're just re-using the same ole shit. Does that make sense? The badniks for example - yeah, redesign maybe a couple old ones, but so far we've seen three badniks return and not a single new one. How about a NEW badnik that looks like it would've worked in the old games? How about a NEW first stage that looks like it could be compared with the older games instead of a Green Hill-meets-Emerald Hill-who-had-an-affair-with-Green Grove with seven coats of polish?

The passion is there but the creativity and originality isn't. I applaud them for their cause, I understand what they're trying to do, but these three seconds look very discouraging. Oh, and don't even get me started on that abysmal running animation.

All in all, this is Sonic the Hedgehog 4, a title that should adhere to what its prequels did in the following respects: new stages, new badniks, several new gimmicks, same tried n' true gameplay. It shouldn't be... Sonic 1/2/3 in a blender.

I dunno, man. My excitement has been kicked down a notch, but I do await more footage. They can still make the save with me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who things that. This is exactly why so many people are disappointed with how the game looks. It looks exactly nothing like the old Sonic games. So many fans expected it to get the Mega Man 9 treatment to a 16-bit game, not they've done the opposite. Why does it have to be 3d? Why does it have to keep the new character designs? Are we supposed to forget how Sonic looked in the early 90s? I dreamed that we'd get an all new StH game as 16-bit, but it seems my dreams have been crushed forever.

I've seen some speculation that what we've seen is a mock up of gameplay, rather than actual gameplay. Hence the pre rendered visuals.

Obviously it's just a mock-up when the model first appears, and he's jumping on the Badniks, but once it fades in to Sonic rolling through the level, I thought that was actual gameplay.

At that point, I can't even tell if things are pre-rendered.

Press Release -

Previously teased as Project Needlemouse, the first Sonic the Hedgehog™ title developed exclusively for download is confirmed!

http://www.sega.co.uk/news/?n=3896

You can also see this press release in the 'News' part of the official website, if no-one noticed that before. =P

I wonder if tomorrows intro section will be the intro to the game itself? =X

Also it might not really be news, but they're not doing any harm imo. No bitchy-ness, for a change. XD

Edited by bolt7

Soo... Special stages are back? If they have the in-game Super Sonic again... This will be the icing on the cake :D

Really, I don't get why people are so against having the design of a character evolve.

Let's look at Bugs Bunny. When he first appeared, he was more squat, had a different-looking face, and was pretty far removed from his design. Before he reached his modern incarnation he went through a measure of redesigns.

And then there's Daffy Duck. When he first appeared, he was small, friendly, even cute looking. He's now more anthropomorphic, with a design focusing on his shift into a shifty, greedy sonufagun whose always working an angle.

Even Mario has done this, with Mario evolving into a smaller, squatter character than he appeared initially with Luigi going from a pallet swap to someone taller and lankier than Mario himself.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah seriously, the complaints over eye color need to stop. I didn't even understand what the issue with them was until someone broke it down and explained it to me, it's incredibly stupid. xD

...unless. The green eyes... were........ GUMBALL EYES @_@ *insert dramatic music here*

-Iceman

Holy shit you might be on to something there. o_o

I'm glad I'm not the only one who things that. This is exactly why so many people are disappointed with how the game looks. It looks exactly nothing like the old Sonic games. So many fans expected it to get the Mega Man 9 treatment to a 16-bit game, not they've done the opposite. Why does it have to be 3d? Why does it have to keep the new character designs? Are we supposed to forget how Sonic looked in the early 90s? I dreamed that we'd get an all new StH game as 16-bit, but it seems my dreams have been crushed forever.

I'd argue that it does look at least something like the old Sonic games. It's just that Sonic doesn't. And from what I understood, the general opinion was that people DIDN'T want a 'Mega Man 9'ing of Sonic the Hedgehog. I don't see how the lack of sprites will damage the game, but there you go. Maybe Sega will do something with sprites next time. Maybe there'll be some spritey cameo stuff in Sonic 4. Maybe there'll even be a 'Sprite Mode' as someone pointed out earlier. I wouldn't lose all hope just yet.

Dreams crushed forever though... man, that's a bit dramatic. o_o;

Each level from Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I is separately selectable from the main menu, making it easy for players to replay their favorite sections as they wish.

Here's hoping that this happens AFTER completing the game. I'd hate to have all the zones in my face at once, tempting me to play them before playing through in order.

People also talk like Mega Man 9 is the gold standard, but at the same time, Mega Man's classic design has remained mostly static. All that's changed is the art style befitting the technology of the era each post NES game was released in.

And even then.

Let's look at most retreux style games released recently. New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Bionic Commando Re-armed? Those all use updated graphics.

Mega Man 9 is not the gold standard. It's the exception.

Sometimes, the pursuit of precious page hits can backfire.

There's something so deliciously ironic about that sentence it's untrue. Tabloids crack me up. :)

@vgmaster: Umm why would sega bring back the 1990's fat ugly Sonic? Also they said the game would be in HD, that usually means 3d most of the time. I for one am relieved that this game looks nothing like a game from 20 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Face all new intense boss battles against everyone’s favourite villain – the ever devious and evil – Dr. Eggman!

YES! Eggman boss battles are back. Why we've not fought him more in 3D Sonic games is a travesty. I just hope they keep it simple and don't bring any "monster of the week" into Sonic 4. *Shivers* It's still bloody exciting to type that.

perhaps tens of thousands of visitors at once may have been too much for TSS servers to handle.

Yes, any website would be crushed by the millions of tens of thousands of visits they experience. Those billions of millions of thousands of hits that mega-popular super-successful Sonic sites get are just so hard for servers to handle. You know. All trillions of billions of millions of tens of thousands of them, since they get so much traffic.

No hyperbole here. No sir.

What I found funny was that he says at the time that article went into publication this site was completely inaccessible yet when he posted it I was on here just fine :lol:

The way they describe the plot at the official site makes it sound like a revenge flick, which is pretty sweet.

Our Legendary hero returns! With the Death Egg finally destroyed, and Angel Island back in the sky, Sonic decides it's time to take a break and heads off to explore a new territory on his own. However unbeknownst to Sonic, Eggman has also survived their last encounter, and has begun taking measures to rid himself of our hero.

So sounds like no enslaving of South Island, no need to build a sky base or a space ship, no need to find an ancient monster. Eggman just wants revenge.

(has memories of AoStH)

Edited by Doctor Eggman

If you're throwing a fit over a character's eye color, it doesn't matter which color you prefer, it's still stupid.

My post had little to do with Sonic's eye color, I was complaining about people implying that complaining about a change in eye color is a stupid indefensible proposition. Basically, your post.