Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Here come the people whining because they got exactly what they wanted.

Also, I'd love an explanation from the people who already are doubting the game when all we've seen is 25 seconds of nothing.

Protip: Some people at Sega think Sonic Rush IS like the Genesis games.

It's the closest we've seen in a long, long, time.

Edited by Cipher

And Sega are just as capable of missing the point of what makes the Genesis games good just as much as the rest of us.

Also, I'd love an explanation from the people who already are doubting the game when all we've seen is 25 seconds of nothing.

I've already explained why. The old guard of Sonic Team is long gone, I doubt there is anyone at Sega anymore who actually has a bloody clue why the Genesis games are good.

They're closest we've seen in a long, long, time.

Yeah, but that could just as much imply that they're still a mile off.

Edited by The Sniper

In my mind, Sonic Rush Adventure was on par with the original games when you were actually in the levels. Unfortunately SEGA had to give it a gimmick and lumber you with sailing and hub worlds.

Yeah, but that could just as much imply that they're still a mile off.

I was trying to be unobjectionable. *shrugs*

What I really meant is the Rush games are almost exactly in line with the quality of the Genesis games. The only places where they're close but not the same is where they've improved over the Genesis games. Except for that sailing bit in Rush Adventure. That was just boring.

(Obligatory "in my opinion" disclaimer.)

Edited by Cipher

Sturgeon's Law. After the whole Unleashed debacle, I apply it to everything Sega does. You don't screw something up for more than ten years and then expect me to approach it with a neutral opinion, do you?

I was trying to be unobjectionable. *shrugs*

What I really meant is the Rush games are almost exactly in line with the quality of the Genesis games. The only places where they're close but not the same is where they've improved over the Genesis games. Except for that sailing bit in Rush Adventure. That was just boring.

(Obligatory "in my opinion" disclaimer.)

Fair enough, I loved the Rush games, but quality doesn't mean that they play the same. They were designed with almost completely different mindsets, I think. If that's what people at Sega think are exactly like the Genesis games, people here are gonna be seriously disappointed.

If I count as one of those people, then it's because it's advertising itself as basically a new classic Sonic game, something I think is a par below that epic, Galaxy-crushing, transcendental 3D adventure that is probably never going to come to fruition. I don't get beside myself over nostalgia, sooo I'm not as excited as I should be... at least not for the game. Again, I'm waiting for the fanboy explosions which are inevitable as I don't have faith in Sega to deliver an experience that we will unanimously consider Classic. I mean, people are already freaking out over the word "speed" in the trailer. xD

I've already explained why. The old guard of Sonic Team is long gone, I doubt there is anyone at Sega anymore who actually has a bloody clue why the Genesis games are good.
I don't the old Sonic Team could make a good Sonic game agian, either.

Regardless, I'm hyped baby. bring on more media!

If I count as one of those people, then it's because it's advertising itself as basically a new classic Sonic game, something I think is a par below that epic, Galaxy-crushing, transcendental 3D adventure that is probably never going to come to fruition. I don't get beside myself over nostalgia, sooo I'm not as excited as I should be... at least not for the game. Again, I'm waiting for the fanboy explosions which are inevitable as I don't have faith in Sega to deliver an experience that we will unanimously consider Classic. I mean, people are already freaking out over the word "speed" in the trailer. xD

I don't know. I'm not someone that sees things through the nostalgia goggles either since my first experience with the classic games was about 7 years ago. But what I see here in combination with what I took from the old games is that Sega is really, finally, trying to get back to the basic building blocks of Sonic (and no, Sonic 06 doesn't count because that was an attempt to return to Sonic Adventure more than an attempt to get back to the roots). That's good because they can start building off it again with the knowledge of their mistakes and get something of a fresh start if this works out well.

Yeah, because Sonic is all about speed, amirite? ;)

No, but it's not as if that hasn't been the main advertising point of the series since before it even debuted.

I don't know. I'm not someone that sees things through the nostalgia goggles either since my first experience with the classic games was about 7 years ago. But what I see here in combination with what I took from the old games is that Sega is really, finally, trying to get back to the basic building blocks of Sonic (and no, Sonic 06 doesn't count because that was an attempt to return to Sonic Adventure more than an attempt to get back to the roots). That's good because they can start building off it again with the knowledge of their mistakes and get something of a fresh start if this works out well.

This only begs the questions: Why does Sega need to go back to the very beginning to even move forward? Why do new games have to be as classic as possible to be successful?

I don't find anything wrong with the Classic formula at all nor this game's existence. However, there is something rather peevish about the unobtainable status we have given the Classic games (which in turn makes me fear this game's reception) as well as the subsequent theory that this direction is the absolute best for Sonic. This is mostly because I don't think making this game and others will actually solve any 3D-related problems because, well, it's not a 3D game, nor has a 3D game even tried to copy the Classic's style extensively for reasons that we probably can't imagine. To me, it's like trying to solve the dilemma of taming a rabid tiger by getting a Siamese.

Eh, I dunno. I just feel as if we should have been moved on to bigger and better things at this point in time. I mean, look at Mario-- *shot*

Edited by Nepenthe

Protip: Some people don't have as narrow, rigidly defined standards as you do.

I am stoked.

Honestly, Unleashed quality (or something similar), just the 2D, concentrating on Sonic.

You've got a fucking winner.

(before someone rebuts this, I'm not saying this is all gonna be in there. But it sounds good to my ears, that's all.)

Edited by Knuxdude

Now that I've had time to calm down...

Did they mention if it would be a bran-new game you buy on a disc or if it would be downloadable content?

Either way, I'll be following this.

As far as the authenticity of the retro in question, I think if Sega assembled a crack team of like six guys who are familiar with the series, locked them in a room for a week with food, Genesis Sonic, and notepads, they'd emerge prepped to create a 16-bit replica.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

This only begs the questions: Why does Sega need to go back to the very beginning to even move forward? Why do new games have to be as classic as possible to be successful?
Because a lot of their recent output is critically slammed, and seen as being a bit shit, whereas the older games are regarded of classics of the genre.

if they can recapture that magic, Sonic will be glorious again.

In my honest opinion? I think going the 2D route is a cop out. But if it'll make the fanbase stop bitching, I guess I'm for it.

But I'm guessing HD means no Wii. If so, then goddamnit!

if they can recapture that magic, Sonic will be glorious again.

If they can't even do that, then it's even more of an epic fail than previous attempts.

But I'm guessing HD means no Wii. If so, then goddamnit!

Not necessarily, but for it not to be on Wii is rather questionable, if Sega wants this to sell well. Sonic games sell tons more on Wii than the other platforms.

I don't find anything wrong with the Classic formula at all nor this game's existence. However, there is something rather peevish about the unobtainable status we have given the Classic games (which in turn makes me fear this game's reception) as well as the subsequent theory that this direction is the absolute best for Sonic. This is mostly because I don't think making this game and others will actually solve any 3D-related problems because, well, it's not a 3D game, nor has a 3D game even tried to copy the Classic's style extensively for reasons that we probably can't imagine. To me, it's like trying to solve the dilemma of taming a rabid tiger by getting a Siamese.

Eh, I dunno. I just feel as if we should have been moved on to bigger and better things at this point in time. I mean, look at Mario-- *shot*

I think they need to go back because they've been trying to find a place for Sonic for years now with new mechanics every game that weren't particularly successful. Going back is kind of a way of wiping the creative slate clean and saying, "Ok, this isn't working, we can handle that, lets try again from the start." You know, kind of like a last-ditch effort to pull themselves out of a rut.

Just my 2 cents though.

As a side note I agree with you about how some parts of the community seem to overly revere the old games.

Edited by Cipher

If they can't even do that, then it's even more of an epic fail than previous attempts.
it's hard to fail more then Shadow the hedgehog, stop being sucha drama queen. We haven't even seen more then a teaser!

I think they need to go back because they've been trying to find a place for Sonic for years now with new mechanics every game that weren't particularly successful. Going back is kind of a way of wiping the creative slate clean and saying, "Ok, this isn't working, we can handle that, lets try again from the start." You know, kind of like a last-ditch effort to pull themselves out of a rut.

This could also just be an attempt to mainstream Sonic again.

Sega's made statements that make it seem like they're targeting a causal younger audience. But people who were with Sonic in the '90s are the ones writing reviews and complaining on the internet. I feel like this is an attempt to appeal to that wider base.

Also, they dug deep for a name like Needlemouse. I feel like that's one for the fans.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik

I've been waiting for Sonic Rush 3, but I guess this is good enough.

On another note, so glad this isn't a remake. At least as claimed in the initial reports. Why they're shiloutting the Sonic 1 logo if it's not a remake, I don't know.