Awoo.

What drove you INSANE in a Sonic game?

Ebby

And I can't believe you guys couldn't beat neither the Crazy Gadget puzzle or the Carnival Night barrel. I beat it as a kid. Maybe it's just because I was a child prodigy or something.
The nuisance called the barrel was the only Sonic puzzle that I always never passed through the right way. I've always done the the usual jump-on-the-barrel technique to get through. (I didn't succeed in passing the level until 2000, and that was when I played the game more, until lately when I now find the game to be boring, outdated, and predictable.)

Crazy Gadget did give me trouble at a time, but with the help of the manual, I was able to sneak on through and pass it.

Big's levels gave me trouble when I was a kid. At one point, I couldn't pass Ice Cap because I couldn't lure Froggy. Fortunately, the little trick to immediately up the joystick once Froggy lashes on and upgrading the rod help wonders. :D After that, the levels became a lot of fun to play.

Z0mg!

Wow. Dude. Do you get anything cool for 100% completion? I have heard vague rumors on the tubes that there's some sort of fire-emblem or something, but it's all shrouded in mystery.

If you mean getting 5 Stars on all missions, no I don't recall anything significant that is unlocked through that method. If you mean by getting all followers in all missions, than there is a last skill that Sonic gets for his Paladin style that lets you attack while running. It's badass, but the amount of effort needed to get all followers is mind numbing.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

If you mean getting 5 Stars on all missions, no I don't recall anything significant that is unlocked through that method. If you mean by getting all followers in all missions, than there is a last skill that Sonic gets for his Paladin style that lets you attack while running. It's badass, but the amount of effort needed to get all followers is mind numbing.

I would've thought getting all the followers is significantly easier than getting all 5-stars. There's loads of missions on my SatBK that I've got max followers for simply because they accumulate while you're incessantly failing to get a 5-star run. Getting all the followers is a matter of grim, tedious repetition more than a matter of doing the levels with skill.

Then again, I havn't done either, so what do I know? :/

What drove me insane in a sonic game was the find/kill xx number of things in shadow the hedgehog. Trying to find that last artificial chaos drove me to the point where I cursed so much that shadow would have been surprised. Another thing that drove me insane was the last race in Sonic Rush Adventure against Johnny when I was in the lead on the last stretch using the boost he comes racing up behind me and passes me right before the finish which caused a swear-fest for me. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I would've thought getting all the followers is significantly easier than getting all 5-stars. There's loads of missions on my SatBK that I've got max followers for simply because they accumulate while you're incessantly failing to get a 5-star run. Getting all the followers is a matter of grim, tedious repetition more than a matter of doing the levels with skill.

Then again, I havn't done either, so what do I know? :/

Well it's a little bit of both. There are some missions that are really hard to simply complete, let alone get max followers on. And since the amount of followers you get at the end of each try depends on your rank, you'll pretty much have to do a little bit of both just to get a lot of followers quickly.

Either way, there's no easy way around it, and the people who thought it'd be a good idea to have that kind of repetition in a game deserve to be lynched.

In shaodw the hedgehog there was this shitty good mission where you went into cyberspace and turned into the freakazoid... wait I mean you went into cyberspace and had to blow up this shit and it was a fucking maze and took like 40 minutes to beat... I hate it which is why I sold that game.

Sonic 1's Labyrinth Zone boss. When I was a kid, that was like the EPITOME of impossible. I got so many game overs at that point I wanted to scream at the screen. And did, for a little bit.

That one was really bad. You either get hit by the spikes or the fireballs, lose all rings and die. I will never learn to play this boss properly. But Labyrinth Zone in general is a fun stage in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Z0mg!

Wow. Dude. Do you get anything cool for 100% completion? I have heard vague rumors on the tubes that there's some sort of fire-emblem or something, but it's all shrouded in mystery.

I know that's an item you get later on, although I can't remember if it's for 100% completion of the entire game. It's for doing all of something in the game though, just not sure what.

It's one of those equippable crest/medal things. It basically makes Sonic hax. Ish.

EDIT: Beaten to it. D=

Edited by Mahzes

Also note Wing Fortress (S2). Don't know why, but that was and still is near impossible for me to complete; because if I ever get past the grueling "tiny-platform-areas-over-a-bottomless-pit" sections of the level, then I completely fail against the boss. Seriously, people have problems against Silver Sonic and the Eggsterminator? Screw that crap, WFZ' boss is a Satanic beast. D=< (and I have been against SS and the Eggsterminator; levelselect is fun =P)

In shaodw the hedgehog there was this shitty good mission where you went into cyberspace and turned into the freakazoid... wait I mean you went into cyberspace and had to blow up this shit and it was a fucking maze and took like 40 minutes to beat... I hate it which is why I sold that game.

I thought you were disparaging Digital Circuit for a minute there, and I was gonna tell you to go die in a fire.

But then I realised it's Mad Matrix, and that is a legit complaint.

The Carnival Barrel haunts me, and back in the 90's, I still couldn't figure it out. Also, S1's Labyrinth Zone boss was a pain in the @$$ as well.

06's ElisexSonic relationship drove me insane of how crappy the idea was, and that kiss makes me shudder a bit.

Getting the Choas Emeralds in Sonic Heroes. It was so glitchy and unfair.

Was this for the PC version? 'Cos in the GC original I never had any problems with broken difficulty or glitchyness. Sure, the Special Stages were challenging, but that's a welcome breath of fresh air in Sonic, not something to whine about.

My general feeling on getting the Heroes Emeralds is that most players are just bad at the Special Stages.

My general feeling on getting the Heroes Emeralds is that most players are just bad at the Special Stages.

Not when I have to fight the controls to actually turn properly. Heroes Special Stages controlled as smoothly as driving a truck with square wheels through the Grand Canyon.

Not when I have to fight the controls to actually turn properly. Heroes Special Stages controlled as smoothly as driving a truck with square wheels through the Grand Canyon.

*shrug* Well, I never found them to be unduly hear-rip-out difficult.

UNLIKE finding all the seven special-stage-access emblems in every level, for every character, in Sonic Advance 2.

UNLIKE finding all the seven special-stage-access emblems in every level, for every character, in Sonic Advance 2.

Yeah, they weren't that bad, but I was just saying they weren't good at all.

Getting the Choas Emeralds in Sonic Heroes. It was so glitchy and unfair.

I had the PS2 version (which I hear is the most glitchy and laggy) and I can still do it easily. I always use a power character to get to it. I know it's weird, but it works for me.

I had the GC version of Heroes. It wasn't glitchy to me, but it was a pain trying to get that DAMN fourth Chaos Emerald...and the last one too. <_<

Also note Wing Fortress (S2).

I was trying to forget that level's boss, 'til you brought it up. -_-

The hang gliders in Sonic 2 on Master System.. took my friends and I HOURS to figure it out.

The instruction booklet said something about waiting for a gust of wind.. it never happened!

Dont press 1 or 2 when on it, Dont press 1 or 2 when on it... *Sonic gets on hang glider* GAWD! We pressed 1 or 2 :(

The Sonic Heroes special stages were fun :) I didn't have all that much trouble getting them..

Hm, its probably the best special stage in a Sonic game come to think of it ;)

Edited by Jix Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

The hang gliders in Sonic 2 on Master System.. took my friends and I HOURS to figure it out.

The instruction booklet said something about waiting for a gust of wind.. it never happened!

Dont press 1 or 2 when on it, Dont press 1 or 2 when on it... *Sonic gets on hang glider* GAWD! We pressed 1 or 2 :(

YES. Oh Jesus yes. They were awful. I was at least insulated from them for many years because on the Game Gear version it is pretty much impossible to get past the Doodlebug Mecha boss in Underground Zone... but still, if ever you could get past it, those damn gliders would easily remove the few lives you had remaining in Sky High.

The only time Sonic Heroes special stages really got to me was if you tried to use Team Rose. Big is by the far the most useless character for the later special stages but Amy and Cream aren't exactly useful either.

Big's Mission A in Sonic Adventure DX. To this day I have never gotten all 130 emblems fairly. I only have 129. IT'S THAT GODDAMN LAST MISSION AS BIG THE FUCKING CAT! It's not even because I CAN'T do it, I did it in every stage but Twinkle Park because GIANT METAL FISH SEEM TO NEVER APPEAR. And the ONE TIME, the ONE TIME I actually see a metal fish in that stage I fucking accidentally did the respawn trick. GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. I LITERALLY sat there fishing in Twinkle Park for 5 FUCKING HOURS one time. You know how grating the music gets or how freaking boring that is!? I just really wanted Metal Sonic and Tails Adventure and Sonic Blast, but NO. I have to wait for imaginary metal fish in a fucking lunatic funhouse! To this day I can't fully enjoy that stage with anyone because of the fucking hours I spent there FISHING!!! I also in the end used Action Replay just to get all emblems though I was THIS CLOSE to getting them all myself if it weren't for Big having his fucking mind spent on catching big metal fish. I don't even think he can fucking eat those or do whatever he does when he actually catches one. Throw it back in? FOR WHAT PURPOSE!? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME LOOK OUT FOR FISH THAT DON'T EXIST, BIG? WHY!?

Every thing this lovely man said here.

Also, Sonic 2 GG.

You sir, crossed the line. hehe.

To be honest, I was the complete opposite. I really enjoyed SA2's "emblem seeking for victory" ritual, and once you knew where they all were, it was a hopelessly easy to get there. I will admit the special stages were fairly hard, but do-able.

Heroes however. My god. I have the GC version, and besides the whole "I am Shadow" saga (which didnt enrage, more-so wtf) it was the only part of SH that made me throw the controller down in discuss. Im still yet to kick Metal's ass and actually finish the game.

I'm going to have to agree with Jix, those hang gliders were just a major pain to figure out! I'm not gonna lie, I used a ton of save stating to get the controls down, and don't get me started on the whole Chaos Emerald location! @_@

Anothing thing that irritated me was my first attempt on the last section of Crazy Gadget! I was amazed by the thought of playing with gravity (first thing I thought of was Gravity Man from Megaman V), but one section just screwed my game up horribly! I think I got about three or four game overs before finally beating the stage. Then I fought Eggman for the second time, and then he wipped the floor with me.