Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

He doesn't. The only character in the poll who's close to Tails in popularity would be Shadow, and even he's more hated than Tails.

Nice reading comprehension.

.... ... No seriously is this for real!? Are you seriously comparing chao to real world animals? Holy shit I'm going to jail for murdering my Sims.

You are overreacting to what I said. I also said these are reasons why “some” different people may like Chao. Not all presented reasons are the same reasons everybody likes them.

And not liking pets in a game sometimes CAN… but not always reflect on a person’s personality. It sometimes could be as simple as the person is a bit rude by nature... And if I was going to judge based on my own experience... I can say those kinds of people often are a bit non-physically aggressive, such as insulting others who disagree with them. BUT! it's not always as straight forward as that. Your joking if you think I'm saying anybody who dislikes chao are all nasty people.

Then put another game on or play as one of the other characters, this excuse is as old as the hills and it's amazingly poor, you have bought a game called 'Sonic Adventure' what do you think the game will be about?

It's not a excuse. I already explained how minigames can add variety in new ways more then just different playable characters and adds a new layer of deepness in the game. And how is the fact the game is called Sonic Adventure a excuse that the game should have no minigames? You could just as easily say because only Sonic's name is in the title should mean only he should be playable and all the other characters are just in the way. Honestly you are just cherry picking what I said and it starting to look like to me it's just because you WANT me and anybody who disagrees with you on this subject to be automatically wrong.

Sonic Adventure a excuse that the game should have no minigames? You could just as easily say because only Sonic's name is in the title should mean only he should be playable and all the other characters are just in the way.

If your going to make up stuff I've said you'd better do a better job than that.

I never said it shouldn't contain mini games. Quote me as saying otherwise.

I said that mini games are an artificial way to extend life to a game.

Furthermore you are totally ignoring/sidestepping the point. 

People justify chao gardens as being a relaxing alternative to the game. 

I say. You have bought a game called Sonic Adventure. What did you expect it to be about?

If you want to play something relaxing or a pet raising game. Stop playing the game and put on one which is a dedicated pet raising or relaxing game.

Chao raising is utterly pointless, takes hours to do and IS mandatory if you wish to unlock main game content.

Not to mention the other point which you are ignoring. How are the Chao a better 'character' than Big or anyone else when all the do is change appearance depending on if you threw them at a wall or not?

I'm not sure it's pertinent or possible to answer the question of how Chao are better characters than Big in a subjective popularity contest, a contest Big would've lost in the first round no matter who he was pit up against in the current poll anyway. That includes Jet.

• Thumbs Up 2

If your going to make up stuff I've said you'd better do a better job than that.

I never said it shouldn't contain mini games. Quote me as saying otherwise.

I said that mini games are an artificial way to extend life to a game.

Furthermore you are totally ignoring/sidestepping the point. 

People justify chao gardens as being a relaxing alternative to the game. 

I say. You have bought a game called Sonic Adventure. What did you expect it to be about?

If you want to play something relaxing or a pet raising game. Stop playing the game and put on one which is a dedicated pet raising or relaxing game.

Chao raising is utterly pointless, takes hours to do and IS mandatory if you wish to unlock main game content.

Not to mention the other point which you are ignoring. How are the Chao a better 'character' than Big or anyone else when all the do is change appearance depending on if you threw them at a wall or not?

The fact you said "mini games are an artificial way to extend life to a game" would normally lead people to assume that you think they shouldn't be there. And I disagree that it is a artificial way to add content to a game. I have played tons of games with tons of content and levels packed full of varity without any minigames. And the games that do have minigames are still often my favorites.

Isn't Big a relaxing alternative to Sonic Adventure? Or is he getting a free pass out of nowhere? Hell Big is just 1 big minigame. Saying Chao are pointless is bigoted and illogical since games are only have value based on how we feel about them.

Chao are a race. not just 1 character, so it's a bit much to say and judge on who is a better character. But it's pretty much a case of if you like pet games then chao will be better as characters/race to you. And some people just like small cute creatures.

You seriously expect anyone to believe the chao have a character to them? Or have offered anything decent in any game other than being an excuse for armour/accessories in an RPG?

They do play a pretty big part of Chaos's backstory and are largely responsible for making him a sympathetic character instead of just a generic, mindless, "BLARGH! Destroy things because I'm evil!" type monster, hell, Chaos himself is a Chao, albeit a mutated one, and believe it or not plenty of people actually do like the Chao Garden. So yeah I'd say they've contributed their fair share to the series.

Speaking of Chaos he asked me to let you all know that he endorses Chao:

Chaos_Endorsement.thumb.jpg.8d783b48b6c5

I got bored, okay?

Minigames are designed to artificially extend the life of a game instead of filling it with real content.  

Except that the chao system is designed in such a way that it encourages players to get the most out of the main game (or "real" content as you put it) by providing an incentive to explore new areas and take different routes to get more rings and animals, even if such actions aren't necessarily expedient. Unlike later games there is no optimal route, just the one most conducive to you're current goal. And really the chao aren't necessary for the main game either; sure they're needed to unlock a (purely cosmetic) character skin in Adventure 1 and a short bonus level in Adventure 2 (key word "bonus"), but unlike Big's fishing you can play all the way though both games from Chaos Zero to The Finalhazard without ever touching them. It's not like the Adventure games were wanting for content either, Adventure 2 in particular is one of the most content heavy Sonic games ever made an would still be so even without the Chao Garden, so it's not like the chao were needed to compensate or anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Except that the chao system is designed in such a way that it encourages players to get the most out of the main game (or "real" content as you put it) by providing an incentive to explore new areas and take different routes to get more rings and animals, even if such actions aren't necessarily expedient.

That's a pretty verbose way of saying "Chao raising makes you grind a lot". Training doesn't even remotely encourage anything you just mentioned - in fact it's actually kind of counter-intuitive against level goals because most of the time you have to come to a dead stop to pick up dropped Chaos Drives for it. Beyond that there's really not much to it besides playing City Escape or Iron Gate over and over and making sure you finish with at least 10 drives each time.

• Thumbs Up 4

That's a pretty verbose way of saying "Chao raising makes you grind a lot". Training doesn't even remotely encourage anything you just mentioned - in fact it's actually kind of counter-intuitive against level goals because most of the time you have to come to a dead stop to pick up dropped Chaos Drives for it. Beyond that there's really not much to it besides playing City Escape or Iron Gate over and over and making sure you finish with at least 10 drives each time.

This. SO MUCH THIS! 

Do people seriously believe that? That chao give you the most out of the game? 

It doesn't.  You have to mindlessly... correction you have to grind stages in a way which means you have to kill specific enemies in order to raise stats of something just to give it an edge.

This is not good game design nor is it fun. It forces the player to play the game in VERY specific ways. 

That is neither fun or training/teaching the player to be good at a game. It zaps all the fun because it says "Hey you need to play this stage multiple times. Return to this room through multiple load points then do it all multiple times.

Just who the heck enjoys that? 

• Thumbs Up 5

Amy & Dr.Eggman today...

Personally I will have a hard time picking between the 2... since I like both... :V

Whether he does or not, he deserves to win. He is the character most consistently not fucked up by anyone. Never has there been a personality for the man that I haven't liked (Appearance, sure. Any US thing before 2004 and 06's cheese sculpture), and never has he come off as anything other than the perfect evil. He is always there, as a boss. He always returns, game after game. He appears in the series more than any other character, including Sonic.

We are his empire. His Legion. His Egg Army.

Submit to our lord and master, Emperor Ivo Robotnik, and be given the fate you deserve.

Oppose, and you shall rot in mechanical hell.

(different from android hell, that's just a really nice phone with no external storage)

• Thumbs Up 2

Amy vs Eggman

Probably first match where I like both characters. But it's Eggman who we are talking about, my  vote goes to him.

Looks like Amy's winning. That's a huge surprise.

No it ain't. Eggman has sizable popularity, but mostly amongst the older audience. If the younger audience get wind of the poll, Amy's got a good shot. 

Amy's winning and that's a crime.

None of you are free from opinion prison for this one.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 5

Azoo, I sense in you a very particular flavor. It's of a briny, yet crisp variety. It's on the tip of my tongue- would you happen to know what it is?

No it ain't. Eggman has sizable popularity, but mostly amongst the older audience. If the younger audience get wind of the poll, Amy's got a good shot. 

I get the feeling it's her Boom portrayal that's boosting her.

I really like Amy, but her portrayal in games has been inconsistent. She varies from one of the best characters to an annoying ditzy stalker depending on how she's being written. Eggman on the other hand has been pretty consistently rockitude throughout the series, so I voted for him. It's interesting to see how even today's poll has been, but we do have two main characters this time around