Awoo.

Amy Rose and Sonic

Ishochan

I think you might've made Flah Boi's day there, with that statement.

I would hope so.:D

But I guess the cat and mouse thing can still work fine as long as we don't take it too seriously and have Amy portrayed as someone literally in need of psychiatric help.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

• 7 months later...

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post my thoughts here having replayed the more recent Sonic games again, something that stook out to me is how Sonic and Amy have seemed closer in the last few titles. So in terms of the 3D games, I bring you...

Sonic & Amy; Love and Hate

Sonic Adventure was the first game where the story really stood out in the series, and low and behold Amy is fantasizing about the good ole' days with Sonic and very much charmed from him. She hasn't seen Sonic in a while, but through pure chance when Eggman defeats Sonic and Tails with the Egg Carrier against their plane the Tornado, Sonic runs into her again (which strikes terror and nervousness with Sonic). Amy tags along with Sonic but when trouble comes in the form of Robot Zero, Amy forgets all of her worries and jumps at the chance to go to an amusement park with Sonic where, "Cute Couples get in free!" (which must work since they never seem to have to pay any form of fee to get in... Then again neither does Big the Cat... BigxFroggy?) However, Amy gets kidnapped and she uses her natural sweetness and reasoning she seems to bring up when hope looks lost and gets out with Gamma's help to find Sonic, who does come to rescue her but ultimately goes after Eggman and leaves Amy with Tails. It's at this point the romance stops really in the game. At this point Sonic doesn't seem to have that much interest or connection with Amy, and Amy is kinda' more of a fan girl than a love interest. Amy also seems to have not developed her anger issue yet and they more seem on ground terms than anything romantic.

Sonic Adventure 2 made Amy and Sonic no longer as rekindled friends but now had some more recent background. It seems Amy's obsession with Sonic had grown a bit while Sonic still didn't seem to take much notice of her except when she needed help. Sonic gets sent to prison, and though Tails does his part it is ultimately Amy who comes to his rescue. However, at this point Sonic obviously doesn't consider her as any form of love interest, Sonic flat-out refuses Amy when she says she won't free him unless he agrees to go on a date with her. Amy lets it go playfully and tags along for their adventure, though Sonic doesn't seem concerned with her. Amy kinda' acts like the cheerleader of the group, and though Tails kinda' ignores her at most points, I find it amusing Knuckles with his classic innocence seems to pay the most mind to her and just treats her like a part of the group. Man I wish Knuckles was more like that instead of a crazed hot head these days... Anyways not much love is played between the two until Amy is captured by Eggman and Sonic has to come to her rescue. Sonic doesn't seem to be that interested in her as a love concern but does show SOME concern as he tells her to take care of herself as potential last words before being shot into space. Amy does show despair in his death, but of course he survives, and that's about it for love between Sonic and Amy in the game. Sonic's ignoring her a bit but shows some concern for her, Amy has grown more obsessed with him though.

Sonic Heroes put a more violent twist on Amy. I mean she freaking tries to get him to marry her by beating the crap out of him. Amy is chasing her beloved Sonic, but when she finally finds him she corners him on top of a building and then tries to make him marry her by force, and then they battle. Sonic gets away, but the chase continues to their ending, where Amy catches Sonic again, with Sonic on the run from Amy close on his heels. This is as romantic as they get, but Amy has gotten to a stage where she's gotta' have him to the point where she'll get violent to have him and now Sonic seems a bit afraid of her.

Sonic Riders has Amy tagging along with the group again. They go on adventures, she gets kidnapped. Sonic seems to be thinking her more as "Part of the Team" now than a love interest but that's a step up from being frightened by her. Well correction. In the confrontation with Eggman, Sonic attacks him with Amy right there, focusing more on the threat than on Amy's safety probably because he views it a sacrifice worth taking because she's "Part of the Team". Amy of course is enraged at this and then Sonic is afraid of her again and runs.

Sonic Next-Gen had Amy hunting Sonic again only to find Silver. Desperate times comes for desperate measures, and Amy throws herself in harms way to protect Sonic from Silver. Sonic himself doesn't really seem afraid of her more so he seems to think of her still as part of the team, and thanks her for her assistance. On a note Sonic seems to have a little fling with Elise, but I still say it's a bit more one-sided with Elise. The one thing I HATE about the ending is how Knuckles seems more traumatized by Sonic's death than anyone, even Amy. Seriously, the rest of them push it off far more than they should. Also Amy doesn't seem to react at all to the kiss between Sonic and Elise. but then again I guess it was to revive him, but that's an excuse. This doesn't do much for the two of them or Sonic's love life, but thankfully was written out of time so lets take suite and pretend it never happened.

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity had Amy being more cuddly with Sonic than she had been in... Well, actually, ever. Sonic by this point seems to be accepting the fact that Amy has a thing for him and actually doesn't run from her. Still seems to think of her more as a companion though than a love interest, but she's growing more affectionate and he's growing more accepting of that.

Now this is where things get interesting...

Sonic Chronicles actually has the option where Sonic and Amy can get together. This is more based on the users choices, but you can get Sonic to say to Amy that he loves her and they can become a couple of sorts right before their final mission. Of course , counter to this you can make this subplot never happen based on your choices. I'd be interested to see how this continues into a Chronicles 2 but unfortunately looks like we're never going to see that game thanks to Bioware begin taken by EA. Still, SEGA allowing Bioware to officially establish a SonicxAmy bond was surprising, but then it gets more surprising with the couple of games that follow...

Sonic Unleashed had Amy chasing Sonic again, but now things between Sonic and Amy seem less cheerleader or fan girl and more intermediate. Amy isn't so much obsessing over Sonic like a fan girl but more so seems to be supporting him and wanting to stay close and be moral support. Sonic does seem to mess with Amy when you talk to her in the town a bit, but for instance when Sonic is in his Werehog form and Amy doesn't recognize him, Sonic seems geniunely upset which he didn't with anyone else not recognizing him, even Tails. Then with this, you are given a chance in the game if you do some side quest to agree to go on a date with Amy in the 360/PS3 version of the game. Sonic seems more considerate of Amy even though he's still focusing on the mission at hand more while Amy seems less obsessive and more supportive again.

Sonic & the Black Knight is the newest Sonic game, and as such ends at an interesting point as this right now (and into the immediate future) is the last canonical plot point that happens in the series. After the credits, Sonic is talking with Amy telling her about his adventure. This is a bit surprising because Sonic seems like he went to her to talk and out of everyone to tell his adventure too, he goes to tell Amy. Sonic isn't the one to usually go and do that. More so, Amy is upset though because she claims he missed their date. Sonic doesn't deny the date as he previously done or anything, it seems like Sonic legibly and out of his own choice before the events of Black Knight agreed to go on a date with Amy, and though Amy gets mad, takes out her hammer, and Sonic runs for it Sonic even talking about his adventures with Amy and agreeing to go on a date with her, along with being closer with her in the last few games before this, is making it look like Sonic might be viewing Amy in a different light if he's starting to chat it up with her and agree to dates and all.

Conclusion: Sonic and Amy have developed with their feelings over the course of the series. Sonic has gone from ignoring her except when he has save her, to accepting her as being part of the team though occasionally scared of her, to being open with her and telling her about his adventures and even going on dates with her... Though still occasionally scared of her.

Amy has gone from being a rabid Sonic fangirl, to being a bit closer with him while tagging along on adventures but a bit more aggressive to get Sonic with her, to being more understanding and supportive of Sonic while following him around and actually going on some dates with him.

Edited by Dusk the Wicked Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 7

A big nay from me.

I don't particularly support game Sonic with any character as that really isn't what Sonic is about, plus he's a free spirit, but if I were to pair him with anyone it would be Blaze as they are basically parallel versions of each other.

If we're talking comic Sonic, then Sally all the way!

I don't support the Sonic Amy pairing on ANY medium as I think that Sonic just doesn't feel that way about her, she's a fan girl, an annoying, chasing, marriage forcing, obsessed little fangirl. The way I see it Sonic wouldn't like Amy, and he especially wouldn't like a girl that doesn't let him be him and free.

I don't support Sonic/Amy romantically. No way, no how. BUT, I will admit that it's nice to see more of a friendship building up between them. I love character interactions, and I actually do like Amy when she's not in insane stalker freak mode, which, as stated, hasn't happened in a while. I do like the humour that her continuous attempts to woo Sonic provide, but I don't believe that needs to conclude with them actually getting together. Amy is Sonic's good friend who happens to have a huge crush on him, and I'm happy for that to remain the status quo for... well... as long as Sonic keeps going.

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post my thoughts here having replayed the more recent Sonic games again, something that stook out to me is how Sonic and Amy have seemed closer in the last few titles. So in terms of the 3D games, I bring you...

Sonic & Amy; Love and Hate

Sonic Adventure was the first game where the story really stood out in the series, and low and behold Amy is fantasizing about the good ole' days with Sonic and very much charmed from him. She hasn't seen Sonic in a while, but through pure chance when Eggman defeats Sonic and Tails with the Egg Carrier against their plane the Tornado, Sonic runs into her again (which strikes terror and nervousness with Sonic). Amy tags along with Sonic but when trouble comes in the form of Robot Zero, Amy forgets all of her worries and jumps at the chance to go to an amusement park with Sonic where, "Cute Couples get in free!" (which must work since they never seem to have to pay any form of fee to get in... Then again neither does Big the Cat... BigxFroggy?) However, Amy gets kidnapped and she uses her natural sweetness and reasoning she seems to bring up when hope looks lost and gets out with Gamma's help to find Sonic, who does come to rescue her but ultimately goes after Eggman and leaves Amy with Tails. It's at this point the romance stops really in the game. At this point Sonic doesn't seem to have that much interest or connection with Amy, and Amy is kinda' more of a fan girl than a love interest. Amy also seems to have not developed her anger issue yet and they more seem on ground terms than anything romantic.

Sonic Adventure 2 made Amy and Sonic no longer as rekindled friends but now had some more recent background. It seems Amy's obsession with Sonic had grown a bit while Sonic still didn't seem to take much notice of her except when she needed help. Sonic gets sent to prison, and though Tails does his part it is ultimately Amy who comes to his rescue. However, at this point Sonic obviously doesn't consider her as any form of love interest, Sonic flat-out refuses Amy when she says she won't free him unless he agrees to go on a date with her. Amy lets it go playfully and tags along for their adventure, though Sonic doesn't seem concerned with her. Amy kinda' acts like the cheerleader of the group, and though Tails kinda' ignores her at most points, I find it amusing Knuckles with his classic innocence seems to pay the most mind to her and just treats her like a part of the group. Man I wish Knuckles was more like that instead of a crazed hot head these days... Anyways not much love is played between the two until Amy is captured by Eggman and Sonic has to come to her rescue. Sonic doesn't seem to be that interested in her as a love concern but does show SOME concern as he tells her to take care of herself as potential last words before being shot into space. Amy does show despair in his death, but of course he survives, and that's about it for love between Sonic and Amy in the game. Sonic's ignoring her a bit but shows some concern for her, Amy has grown more obsessed with him though.

Sonic Heroes put a more violent twist on Amy. I mean she freaking tries to get him to marry her by beating the crap out of him. Amy is chasing her beloved Sonic, but when she finally finds him she corners him on top of a building and then tries to make him marry her by force, and then they battle. Sonic gets away, but the chase continues to their ending, where Amy catches Sonic again, with Sonic on the run from Amy close on his heels. This is as romantic as they get, but Amy has gotten to a stage where she's gotta' have him to the point where she'll get violent to have him and now Sonic seems a bit afraid of her.

Sonic Riders has Amy tagging along with the group again. They go on adventures, she gets kidnapped. Sonic seems to be thinking her more as "Part of the Team" now than a love interest but that's a step up from being frightened by her. Well correction. In the confrontation with Eggman, Sonic attacks him with Amy right there, focusing more on the threat than on Amy's safety probably because he views it a sacrifice worth taking because she's "Part of the Team". Amy of course is enraged at this and then Sonic is afraid of her again and runs.

Sonic Next-Gen had Amy hunting Sonic again only to find Silver. Desperate times comes for desperate measures, and Amy throws herself in harms way to protect Sonic from Silver. Sonic himself doesn't really seem afraid of her more so he seems to think of her still as part of the team, and thanks her for her assistance. On a note Sonic seems to have a little fling with Elise, but I still say it's a bit more one-sided with Elise. The one thing I HATE about the ending is how Knuckles seems more traumatized by Sonic's death than anyone, even Amy. Seriously, the rest of them push it off far more than they should. Also Amy doesn't seem to react at all to the kiss between Sonic and Elise. but then again I guess it was to revive him, but that's an excuse. This doesn't do much for the two of them or Sonic's love life, but thankfully was written out of time so lets take suite and pretend it never happened.

Sonic Riders Zero Gravity had Amy being more cuddly with Sonic than she had been in... Well, actually, ever. Sonic by this point seems to be accepting the fact that Amy has a thing for him and actually doesn't run from her. Still seems to think of her more as a companion though than a love interest, but she's growing more affectionate and he's growing more accepting of that.

Now this is where things get interesting...

Sonic Chronicles actually has the option where Sonic and Amy can get together. This is more based on the users choices, but you can get Sonic to say to Amy that he loves her and they can become a couple of sorts right before their final mission. Of course , counter to this you can make this subplot never happen based on your choices. I'd be interested to see how this continues into a Chronicles 2 but unfortunately looks like we're never going to see that game thanks to Bioware begin taken by EA. Still, SEGA allowing Bioware to officially establish a SonicxAmy bond was surprising, but then it gets more surprising with the couple of games that follow...

Sonic Unleashed had Amy chasing Sonic again, but now things between Sonic and Amy seem less cheerleader or fan girl and more intermediate. Amy isn't so much obsessing over Sonic like a fan girl but more so seems to be supporting him and wanting to stay close and be moral support. Sonic does seem to mess with Amy when you talk to her in the town a bit, but for instance when Sonic is in his Werehog form and Amy doesn't recognize him, Sonic seems geniunely upset which he didn't with anyone else not recognizing him, even Tails. Then with this, you are given a chance in the game if you do some side quest to agree to go on a date with Amy in the 360/PS3 version of the game. Sonic seems more considerate of Amy even though he's still focusing on the mission at hand more while Amy seems less obsessive and more supportive again.

Sonic & the Black Knight is the newest Sonic game, and as such ends at an interesting point as this right now (and into the immediate future) is the last canonical plot point that happens in the series. After the credits, Sonic is talking with Amy telling her about his adventure. This is a bit surprising because Sonic seems like he went to her to talk and out of everyone to tell his adventure too, he goes to tell Amy. Sonic isn't the one to usually go and do that. More so, Amy is upset though because she claims he missed their date. Sonic doesn't deny the date as he previously done or anything, it seems like Sonic legibly and out of his own choice before the events of Black Knight agreed to go on a date with Amy, and though Amy gets mad, takes out her hammer, and Sonic runs for it Sonic even talking about his adventures with Amy and agreeing to go on a date with her, along with being closer with her in the last few games before this, is making it look like Sonic might be viewing Amy in a different light if he's starting to chat it up with her and agree to dates and all.

Conclusion: Sonic and Amy have developed with their feelings over the course of the series. Sonic has gone from ignoring her except when he has save her, to accepting her as being part of the team though occasionally scared of her, to being open with her and telling her about his adventures and even going on dates with her... Though still occasionally scared of her.

Amy has gone from being a rabid Sonic fangirl, to being a bit closer with him while tagging along on adventures but a bit more aggressive to get Sonic with her, to being more understanding and supportive of Sonic while following him around and actually going on some dates with him.

Very well said. :D

I don't know why so many people are opposed to romance in the games. It's not like SEGA would let it get any where near as ridiculous, hot and heavy as some of telenovella stuff that goes on in the Archie comics, (i.e. marriage, kids, vapid love triangles/squares, etc.) Especially as the series is generally geared towards children, who might not be too into all that lovey dovey stuff depending on their personal level of maturity. I think the occasional mention of dates/get togethers along with a little public display of affection(i.e.the random hug and/or push like that scene in Unleashed) like they've been doing recently is fine. I really doubt SEGA would have those two getting down a la GTA Hot Coffee style, but more so staying on First Base, so to speak, unless they up and decided to make a Sonic title that went past the E rating.

Plus I'm glad that SEGA is making more of their relationship these days. I know that a lot of her interaction with Sonic has mostly been written as comic relief, but at least now SEGA seems to be acknowledging that some fans do like her as a character and/or the idea of Sonic warming up to her based on the more recent titles. The continuous cat and mouse chase added in with the tendency to sometimes flanderize the hell out of Amy's more negative traits (i.e. her whole appearance in Heroes) was getting stale rather quick, and might have even alienated me as a fan of hers if they kept going that route.

Finally, I'm still kind of holding out hope for Chronicles 2. I loved the romantic subplot, as short as it was and wonder if they would divulge further into it in the sequel.

I looooove what they're doing with Sonic and Amy right now, and it annoys me when people still call her a crazy stalker when that was ONLY in Sonic Heroes - where all the game was poorly written. All the other times it is sheer coincidence that they meet up.

But yeah, as said, I love her current role, and I really dig that she's replaced Knuckles so he can get back to doing what he's meant to be doing. These days I like to think of both Tails AND Amy being Sonic's best friends. It actually makes Amy all the cuter when she's generally supportive - then sneaks in a little mini attempt of showing her affection. Even when you turn down her date offer in Unleashed, she lightly says "Hey! Give a girl some hope here!" as if she's deep down accepted that they'll probably never be an item.

I used to hate Amy and her extreme obsession, wich could lead her to things like "shaving sphynx's" or "painting herself as blue[/i"], not ot mention the classic "I will beat the **** out of you and I will force you to marry me"... that would creep out anyone. >_>

But as Dusk said, something changed over the years...

I think that if we look back at the history between this hedgehog couple(?), it's like one of these romance mangas (I might be wrong, since I don't read that kind of histories sans some harem and watching the first season of the Sailor Moon anime) about a clumsy, passioned girl with a strong characther (wich could lead her to be somewhat violent or to do some really crazy stuff) wich happens to be in love with the cool guy, the story progresses while you watch them go in a lot of misventures and having a love/hate relationship (And you know how that kind of stories end... D: ).

And I actually think it's a pretty cute (side)story, watching Amy progresses in the cannon (and some non cannon) moments is quite encouraging, and watching her having some attention from that person she loves after all the effort she made and after all her downs and ups, it's kinda moving (in it's own way).

So props to SEGA to make me change my opinion about her. :)

p.d: I forgot the point of the topic, as I am right now, I think I would give them a yay, as long as it doesn't go to Archie levels and it keeps itself in E (esrb) I am fine with it.

p.p.d: I also miss the old knuckles :(

Edited by imarafan

I don't know why so many people are opposed to romance in the games.

I don't think so many people are opposed to 'romance' in the games. Just specifically Sonic in a romantic relationship. It would be GREAT for those who like the idea of Sonic and Amy, but after this amount of time there are a lot of people who are very happy with the status quo and how Sonic is. I forget who, maybe Naka himself or someone close, said that Sonic would 'never be tied down' by a relationship... and while times do change, a lot of people have fallen in love with Sonic's absolute incarnation of freedom. People who like that would understandably be ruffled if suddenly everything changed and Sonic WAS in a relationship. It would be too much of a risk. By now, after a decade and a half and then some, fans have their own ideas. People ship multiple different couples with Sonic... Sonic/Blaze, Sonic/Elise, etc etc (and of course completely non-canon-hinted pairings like Sonic/Shadow etc). Having settled down with these ideas for so long, having the freedom to imagine Sonic with whoever or completely averse to romance completely, it would ruffle a lot of feathers to suddenly make ONE pairing canon after so long.

Basically, it suddenly cuts everything off... no more freedom for the fans who DON'T wanna see Sonic and Amy together. Had they become an item within the first few games, perhaps even by Sonic Adventure, it might be different - a natural evolution. But after 15+ years, it'd be kinda ridiculous.

For example, Sonic's lack of romantic commitment to anyone means I can personally ship Sonic/Tails and make it canon-plausible (even if I except it WILL NEVER happen in canon, obviously) ♥ But seriously... it's just kinda a little late to pair Sonic and Amy and expect everyone to be happy about it. But hey! At least there are hints enough that anyone who WANTS to support it can find evidence, while not completely shitting on those who don't =P

If Sonic were to get together with Amy, I could easily see him pulling a Goku and going off on adventures by himself for years at a time. So basically, if they were paired together nothing would change. ;)

If Sonic were to get together with Amy, I could easily see him pulling a Goku and going off on adventures by himself for years at a time. So basically, if they were paired together nothing would change. ;)

Yeah, he does this anyway, and - no offence to Amy, as she has her many strengths - she's not really fast enough to keep up with him. And I just can't imagine Sonic carrying her around everywhere while he runs all about. He's far too independent to have someone relying on him all the time to get anywhere.

So I like Amy and all, but she needs to be more of a character before she ever gets together with Sonic. Right now she's the power of heart character, random hammer berserker, and Sonic's self-declared girlfriend. She's kinda flat honestly. The open your heart stuff is always a little stupid. Is it supposed to be girlish charm? I don't understand it. When she becomes hammer girl it's for comic relief. And the girlfriend thing is also for comedy purposes, but like Dusk points out they've stopped treating it like that. She's just a series of roles though... we don't really know a lot about Amy. I say give her more exposure if you wanna pair her.

Had they become an item within the first few games, perhaps even by Sonic Adventure, it might be different - a natural evolution. But after 15+ years, it'd be kinda ridiculous.
Y'know I feel quite the opposite. Trying to make a relationship early on, when the characters had little visible personality and history, could've felt forced, or at least shallow. It might've been accepted easier, but it also wouldn't have any weight to it. But because they're taking the long way around, letting the characters change and the relationship grow instead of simply enforcing it, I think they could build up to something that's both more interesting and more believable.

Y'know I feel quite the opposite. Trying to make a relationship early on, when the characters had little visible personality and history, could've felt forced, or at least shallow. It might've been accepted easier, but it also wouldn't have any weight to it. But because they're taking the long way around, letting the characters change and the relationship grow instead of simply enforcing it, I think they could build up to something that's both more interesting and more believable.

But 15 years? The fans have settled in now. No matter how 'well' they do it, a lot of people won't like it. I still think it's far too risky, given how fandom-y the... er... fandom is. We like having choice (:

As I mentioned before, I'm against romance in the Sonic series because it's not a series that warrants it. It's an action-adventure with little in the way of strong character development. Besides, romance isn't the only way to develop characters. If you want romance, there's always shipping.

And Amy is a god-forsaken shitty character oh my god if Sonic ever settled for someone like her I'd fucking GAG. I don't know anybody masochistic enough to want her, haha.

As I mentioned before, I'm against romance in the Sonic series because it's not a series that warrants it. It's an action-adventure with little in the way of strong character development. Besides, romance isn't the only way to develop characters. If you want romance, there's always shipping.

So much this. Although I disagree that there's not been character development, I agree a thousand times that serious romance (relationships rather than just playful hints) is simply not necessary in Sonic game canon. Never has been before. Why start now?

And Amy is a god-forsaken shitty character oh my god if Sonic ever settled for someone like her I'd fucking GAG.

Lol. I actually like Amy more than I ever used to, but I certainly do not think that she'd make a good partner for an independent fast-paced guy like Sonic who's prone to running off for months at a time doing his own thing.

There's been some development but I don't think that development in the series is particularly strong, because usually characters end up falling back on status quo. Anybody remember Tails's journey in SA1? No, me neither. I guess the writers at Sega thought that Tails becoming "independent" simply meant "being stuck in his workshop 24/7, focusing on his fix-all machines rather than his two tails".

And characters like Big simply end up becoming stupider over time! BIIOOOOOWAAAAAARE.

But 15 years? The fans have settled in now. No matter how 'well' they do it, a lot of people won't like it.
A lot of people won't like any change they make in the series; that doesn't mean the best choice is to freeze the series in place forever.

We like having choice (:
You always have a choice. You can write a fanfic where Amy never existed and Sonic and Tails bone every night if you want. It wouldn't be in line with series canon, of course, but romance fics almost never are, anyway.

I think Amy and Sonic are pretty cute, but... within reason. I like what the last couple of games have done, particularly Unleashed; just a couple of hints to put me in d'aww mode, but nothing concrete enough to clog up the storyline or Sonic's character. I never, ever want to see Game!Sonic involved in Archie levels of melodrama; I like romance when it's lighthearted and funny and awkward and cute, not when it's depressing, and that goes double for a series about anthropomorphic animals. Tease me, please, but be careful if you're going to take it much further than that.

Also, put me down as another person who's come to appreciate Amy a lot more recently. She's been written a lot more reasonably in the past little while, especially when compared to the wretched mess that was the Amy of Heroes and Battle.

A lot of people won't like any change they make in the series; that doesn't mean the best choice is to freeze the series in place forever.

It's not. Amy has grown remarkably as a character; she's certainly not 'frozen in place'. But there's no REASON to suddenly make a u-turn and canonically pair them. Doesn't mean the series is frozen.

You always have a choice. You can write a fanfic where Amy never existed and Sonic and Tails bone every night if you want. It wouldn't be in line with series canon, of course, but romance fics almost never are, anyway.

Wow. How remarkably crude O.o I'll just write fluff thanks (: Not all shippers are pr0n maniacs.

I still think that there would be no benefit in adding unnecessary canon romance to a primarily action-oriented series with an accepted status quo that's been in place for 16+ years.

It's not. Amy has grown remarkably as a character; she's certainly not 'frozen in place'. But there's no REASON to suddenly make a u-turn and canonically pair them. Doesn't mean the series is frozen.
There's nothing "sudden" about it. They've been playing with the relationship between Sonic and Amy since SA, and it has, slowly, turned towards something that could lead to a romantic relationship.

And I'm not saying they could get away with it if they made them a couple in the next game, either. They've laid the groundwork, but there's still more to do if they want to take it in that direction. Unless they really balls it up, there's no way it could be taken as "sudden".

Wow. How remarkably crude O.o I'll just write fluff thanks (: Not all shippers are pr0n maniacs.
For the record I'm not taking shots at you or anyone else with that bit. I'm just saying that no change to the official canon can stop fans from doing whatever they want with the characters in their own work.

I still think that there would be no benefit in adding unnecessary canon romance to a primarily action-oriented series with an accepted status quo that's been in place for 16+ years.
Romance is a character interaction as valid as any other. It needs to be handled more carefully than some others, but to say there's no place for it is to imply the same for friendship, rivalry, mortal enemies, and so on. And the "status quo" is not as stable as you make it sound. There's more to their relationship than a binary "dating or not" switch, and they damn sure aren't in the same place they were in SA (or SA2, or Heroes, or Battle...)
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unless SEGA can think of something smart that makes SonAmy into the games, keep the couple in the fandom.

(Yeah, I could of worded it better, sue me :P)

words

This! This statement pretty much sums up my stance on the SonicxAmy relationship, minus the Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood bit (SEGA-official does not equate Sonic Team canon - keep in mind even the Archie Comics continuity is under SEGA license.)

I think it is important to take note of an interesting development featured in the past two games. Sonic World Adventure and Sonic and the Black Knight carried over an entire nonvital sub-story arc over into a second title that was not a direct sequel - which is fairly uncommon for the most part. Near the end of the game before heading off to Eggmanland, Amy asks Sonic if they can go on a date together once the Dark Gaia shenanigans are resolved, and you are given the option to either accept or decline. Fast forward to the next game, and Sonic had a date planned with Amy before being whisked off into the Grand Kingdom by Merlina. The prologue and epilogue even go out of their way to point this out, so I certainly think that Sonic Team's got something up their sleeves planned for the two. They've certainly been acting far closer to each other than in previous titles, that's for sure.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Chronicles - it's a bit pointless to factor this game into the debate either way. If we DO take it as canon, then Sonic and Amy can't become an item until chronologically after that game (i.e. a couple years in the future of the current timeline), as they weren't an item at the start of the game, so it couldn't happen 'now' anyway. And if we DON'T take it as canon, then the whole being-able-to-chose-a-romantic-subplot thing is a moot point anyhow =P

Gonna have to say no to the original topic. While Amy doesn't annoy me as much as she used to in games like Heroes, she still has enough fangirl obsession in her to be quite bothersome. Not a fan of hers, thus certainly not a fan of her getting with my favorite character. The "lovestruck groupie" character archetype just isn't one I enjoy.

Well...except with Harley Quinn. But she's special.<3