Awoo.

Amy Rose and Sonic

Ishochan

I like their "relationship" as it is. Since Sonic doesn't appear to age and the games have no real chronology, there is no need for the relationship to evolve. I think if Sonic was to age, he'd learn to like the attention, but I still don't think anything would come of it due to his personality. I think he genuinely does not like the attention at the moment and never has on the grounds that he's ignorant of such emotions as having a "crush", but I don't think he dislikes Amy either, just finds her to be an annoyance at times of her slightly obsessive crush. Regardless, their dynamic is good as it is, and requires no change and never will do.

Edited by Arrow

I think it would wreck both Sonic and Amy's character. Sonic simply couldn't keep a romantic commitment with Amy, he's always doing things. Amy, on the other hand, as soon as she had Sonic, it would be like: "Well, what now?" She'd probably just become a character that tries to kill any female character who talked to Sonic.

Plus, I don't like Amy at the best of times. If Sonic was going to be in a relationship, he needs someone a bit more level-headed.

Edited by Ember Aithne

Besides, romance really is not always the best way to develop a character. This is a problem I have with a lot of stories that feature romance or focus on it. If I can look at a story and view the characters in an entirely platonic fashion, then I would deem it unnecessary and at times even very awkward.

There are those times when romance really can be a wonderful tool to use - just check out the manga Love Roma, which focuses on the love shared between two eccentric high school students as they deal with, tolerate, and put up with each other through thick and thin. Sonic can't really do this.

I already touched upon how I felt about Sonic and Amy's relationship in the "Character Interaction " topic

Now for what I think about their relationship.....

I also belong to the camp that believes Sonic feels more for Amy than he lets on. Recently the games are becoming rather obvious about it. Sonic 06 and Sonic and the Secret Rings flat out claimed Amy is indeed his love interest. Then you have Sonic and the Black Knight, where the manual says Sonic is waiting for Amy so they can hang out together (a date). Apparently he agreed to go out with her and no I don't think she forced him. Time and time again Sonic's character description almost always states Sonic does what he feels like doing. He lives by his own desires. If Sonic didn't want to go out with her, he wouldn't have agreed. What more do I need to be convinced that he's interested in her.

Personally I wouldn't mind if she became his girlfriend. As long as they don't become mushy and still maintain a romantic comedy type of a relationship ( like Koizumi and Otani from Lovely Complex, if anyone has heard of it). I think it would be a small interesting element to the games.

I know there is that whole argument with "a relationship doesn't fit Sonic because he's always on the go." I actually agree with that to a point. No, Sonic can't be with any girl because he is always on the go, it's his lifestyle. It wouldn't be fair to the girl nor do I think any regular girl would put up with that. But I don't think Amy is a regular girl though. Amy already follows him around the world and loves the way he lives his life. She already puts up with his "on the go" behavior and yet she still there wanting to be beside him and date him anyways. She loves the adventure as he does and has been (at times) bored without it (SA1). The fact that she is accepting of his lifestyle and understands how he is, makes me believe it might actually work between them. As long as they have a understanding with each other , I can see it working IMHO.

But before all that happens (if it ever does), I want them to be fleshed out as characters a bit more first. Both Sonic and Amy have been one dimensional characters. Lately they have been better in recent games. so I look forward to more growth from both of them in the near future. I loved how Sonic Chronicles had them interact. It was good to see them talk to each other without the chase dynamic at all involved. < I would love to see more of that type of interaction in future games.

To add to what I said above.....

I don't think Sonic and Amy being a couple (only as girlfriend/boyfriend) would automatically equal romantic drama and complexity.

You can have romance and still keep it light hearted. Actually there is a genre for it, it's called romantic comedy. :lol:

Besides even if they were to become a couple, I don't think the game will actually show them on dates nor do I think they have to. They can easily say that they are, through manuals and through dialogue. Kinda like how the ending of SatBK was, where the game gave enough information for the gamer to connect the dots, that something was going on between them without actually showing much of anything. Though, I think they would have to flesh them both out a bit more before they do that so it feels more natural. As for them being too young to date, I know friends of mine who started dating around Sonic and Amy's age. Heck I got my first boyfriend when I was 12, so I don't see the issue.

I also would like to address the saying "tied down". I'm getting the impression that some have a mix definition of the saying. Throughout my life and my experience, that phrase usually referred to a marriage type of relationship. When someone uses the words "tied down" to many I know use in a way that means marriage or a relationship that is heading into one. They use it to express someone (usually someone married) in a relationship where they are supporting their partner (or each other) financially, living together and/or support kids together. < Thats tied down because now the person has more important obligations to met, instead of just worrying about spending money to hang out/date the person they are interested in.

Point is, obviously Sonic and Amy don't have that type or relationship nor do I think it would get to that point. Having a girlfriend/boyfriend type of relationship, is really just two friends hanging out who happen to have romantic feelings for each other. I'm okay if Sonic and Amy just had that and in someways they already do.

Edited by Genesis

Amy is meant to be about 12, and Sonic is meant to be about 15 so...most 12 year old girls will get a crush on an older boy and be annoying to them lol and most 15 year old boys would find them annoying but still be nice to them. I think their relationship is fine. They're friends, but Amy has a crush on him.

I have no issue with shipping anyway, whatever makes you happy.

Listen to how Sonic say Amy the second time here.

I don't know fo' sure if this is an example of what I'm about to say, I'm just throwing this out there, but the Japanese are going to put different emphasis and tone into speech in different places to convey different emotions compared to us. It's an entirely different culture. So I wouldn't call this proof. Given Amy's response after it, I think Sonic's "Amy..." was more of a "eugh". But again, it's impossible to know unless you've been brought up in Japan, you don't just need to speak it...

So any Japanese born and raised members here?

I don't think romance always "ties down" a person. Mario's still relatively laid back and easygoing, despite his almost-definitely-canon romance with Peach (He even directly says "I love you so much, I love you!" to her in Mario Power Tennis). So there's that.

But even if romance isn't necessarily something that will "tie down" the character, I do agree that Sonic isn't really suited for a romantic relationship.

I think what redmenace was saying was that he doesn't in part at least want the focus to shift from Sonic chasing adventure to Sonic being torn over women. I dunno about Elise but Sally sighes, get on edge too much, will abandon the team and get melodramatic the moment another girl so much as likes him. The only way they've been able to make a girl like this exist in Archie is to totally undermine Amy's relationship to Sonic. If it were revealed Sonic sees Amy as more than a nuisance, even just a close friend Sally would be up in arms about it and we'd see love drama. Naturally of course most of Sally's fans will point the finger at Amy and not the bawwing, ho-hum princess in the corner causing problems for Sonic. I don't mind multiple girls liking Sonic. I DO mind girls being introduced that would force Sonic's focus on them and wouldn't STOP making unnecessary plot-distracting drama until it's clear she feels above ALL the other girls.

I always felt that in a game where the main character is some sort of adventurer/hero, it would be weird for them to be romanticaly asociated with someone in an offical way. (Not entirely sure how that sounds. Hard to say what I'm thinking here.) I always thought that if Mario and Peach got married somehow, it just would be weird for every game that came afterward. But if semi main, one game characters have a romantic relationship, it seems fine. Take Secret Rings and Super Paper Mario for example.

Lets just keep it with Amy constantly chasing after Sonic. Or when she gets kidnapped, vice-versa. Actually she hasnt been kidnapped for a while now...

She should be constantly after him, but not during my generation do I want sonic and amy ever finally getting together.

I can't stand SonAmy, it's just really out of Character for Sonic. Amy's annoying, and it seems her only trait these days is being a stalker.

That being said, SonBlaze is my favorite non-yaoi Sonic pairing.

I don't really mind Sonic couples in the games. But I don't think Amy is Sonic's type. Plus it's pretty funny to watch her chase him around when he acts like he could care less. But I think he likes the attention lol :P

Actually she hasnt been kidnapped for a while now...

Debatable. Amy has had a damsel in distress role in practically every 3D cannon game save for 06 (if you count Shadow helping her out in his own game).

Her needing to be rescued is a punchline I am starting to get a bit tired of. (She might have been able to get away from Pickles assistant, but I doubt that she wanted to hurt him).

Eh, in Amy's defense, Tails has been a damsel-in-distress pretty much as many times too.

People need to stop calling her a stalker. Argh as a fan of Amy is does my nut in. List of reasons why they've encountered each other in the games thus far:

CD: Fangirl

Adventure: Coincidence

Adventure 2: Trying to rescue

Heroes: Crazy stalker

Shadow: Doing her own thing

Riders: Coincidence

2006: Coincidence (and saved Sonic's life rather than just chased after him - not to mention abandoned her new found friend instantly for trying to kill him)

Riders ZG: Coincidence

Unleashed: Coincidence

And if I recall, all the portable games were coincidences too.

She's only really been a crazy stalker in Heroes, and the script for that game was so wacky that I only consider it canon because the Shadow stuff, introduction of Omega and Team Chaotix is impossible to ignore.

I would never want them to get together, but I like the current dynamic, and it warms my heart to see her become Sonic's close friend in recent years. I'm hoping she'll remain Knuckles' replacement in Sonic's little trio from now on.

Edited by JezMM

It's a stapples of the series. It's like getting annoyed that she always wears a hammer and is lovesick or that Sonic spindashes is blue and adventure seeking.

That's perhaps one of the reasons I don't care for SonAmy much. If Sonic had more of an attitude like he did in some of the other universes, then the dynamic would probably sit a little better with me, but he doesn't have much of one in the games and Amy has this tendency to take what little's left of it.

Amy kinda seems more like "the man" in the relationship while Sonic runs with his skirt between his legs. Whatver did happen to his attitude?

Well, you know men. They could be the strongest beings in the world, but even they don't have the balls to stand up against their girlfriends. :P

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Well, you know men. They could be the strongest beings in the world, but even they don't have the balls to stand up against their girlfriends.

But then, Sonic doesn't really have a whole lot of attitude in the SoJ version, so that kind of prospect even in a theoretical sense would lose its edge.

Edited by Picchi

You guys seem to forget that Sonic and Amy are almost as close friends as Sonic and Tails these days. The SoJ Sonic is only really attitudey around new faces and Eggman. He's not gonna be a jerk to Amy, and besides, in the most recent storylines, you usually only interact with Amy in an envioronment that leaves Sonic's responses up to you.