Awoo.

Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled (June 21st, 2019)

Jango

1 hour ago, DarkRula said:

I don't even have to worry about being within 5% for the Nitro leaderboard, since I'm there already, and have been for some time.

Oh rofl well good I assumed you weren't without full gauge.  Assumed that was required  guess not?

Nope. In fact, I've been within the top five percent ever since I first got into gold tier. Things seem to be moving slower on the Xbox version.

15 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It's not that surprising. You take a beloved character out of the limelight for a long time and you put him back, people will come back in droves to support it. Time isn't that huge a factor when it comes to stuff like this. If anything it can make people more hungry for something.

It helps stand as proof that Iizuka's old fear that not pushing out as many Sonic games as they possibly can would endanger his standing in the popular consciousness as even more of a fallacy. Maybe nowadays his mind has changed about that but you could tell it was a heavy thing back in the late 2000s. Sonic never had anything to worry about concerning that. He's the poster boy of bad games to a lot of people and yet still beloved enough to make the news when people fuck up his still well-loved character design.

I didn't play any of the late Crash games (or any Crash game aside from Wrath of Cortex on the PS2 for that matter) but I'd imagine Crash fans largely don't give a shit about how bad those games are so long as the promise of more is over the horizon after such a long drought. With these games being as well-received as they are, there's probably little fear that they'd be messed up too.

Maybe. It's still Activision calling the shots so we can't be too comfortable. Plus, things haven't truly born fruit until an actual new game is announced. I'd feel secure in saying that Crash is officially back once that happens.

And to think that before the official announcement at E3 2016 a lot of people (some arguibly internet trolls, but still) kept saying Crash would never sell, let alone be as popular as he once was, in today's gaming industry. Nostalgia or not, both remakes are great, they just gotta take the next step and then we'll see for sure how well Crash can do.

24 minutes ago, Jango said:

And to think that before the official announcement at E3 2016 a lot of people (some arguibly internet trolls, but still) kept saying Crash would never sell, let alone be as popular as he once was, in today's gaming industry. Nostalgia or not, both remakes are great, they just gotta take the next step and then we'll see for sure how well Crash can do.

Oh Crash has the potential,  no doubt of about it. What we have to wait and see is how long Activision can actually keep up the good act and not revert to their usual M.O.

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

Oh Crash has the potential,  no doubt of about it. What we have to wait and see is how long Activision can actually keep up the good act and not revert to their usual M.O.

Yeah. These games provided them with a well-established template. What happens when it's time to create their own is a much more... hazy story. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah. These games provided them with a well-established template. What happens when it's time to create their own is a much more... hazy story. 

Hell, even with the Spyro trilogy and Nitro-Fueled,  we've seen hints of Activision's bad influences still (not as potent, but still present) .

Yeah, as @DarkRula said, things move real slow on Xbox. I've only been online for a week and I'm already in the top 2% on trophies and top 1% on Nitro. Speaking of which, wanna race sometime? My gamertag is Sonic 360 Elite (Yeah, I know. I came up with it when I was an idiot teenager and don't feel like changing it.).

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

That's what I told them, man! That's what I said! But they called me crazy. CRAZY!

Speaking of keeping the good act, I've been feeling nostalgic for Twinsanity lately. While I much rather have a new game based on the ND formula with original levels, vehicles and story, I wouldn't be completely against a Twinsanity remake with all the cut content added.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, Jango said:

That's what I told them, man! That's what I said! But they called me crazy. CRAZY!

Who? Neogaf? Resetera? GAMEFAQS? Last I checked, the sensible places were rooting for the Bandicoot boy. Eh heh.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, Jango said:

Speaking of keeping the good act, I've been feeling nostalgic for Twinsanity lately. While I much rather have a new game based on the ND formula with original levels, vehicles and story, I wouldn't be completely against a Twinsanity remake with all the cut content added.

I'll admit, the world does certainly need a Twinsanity remake complete with polish and its cut content.

Would be funny if they ironed out the jokes related to the rushed development and Wrath of Cortex not doing so well,  to references of success instead given Crash's resurgence. 

Is there some kind of online host when playing with random people because sometimes a whole lobby gets disconnected? 

Yes. Sometimes I try to make a guessing game out of who's host in a particular lobby (it can never be me since I'm locked to a strict NAT type). Sometimes I wonder if there are just trolls who realize they're host and quit at the last second before a race, dropping everyone.

10 hours ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Yeah, as @DarkRula said, things move real slow on Xbox. I've only been online for a week and I'm already in the top 2% on trophies and top 1% on Nitro. Speaking of which, wanna race sometime? My gamertag is Sonic 360 Elite (Yeah, I know. I came up with it when I was an idiot teenager and don't feel like changing it.).

We can try and sort something, sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Beat another 5 Oxide time-trials today (Cortex Castle, Hot Air Skyway, N.Gin Labs, Roo Tubes & Mystery caves). The key to beatng N.Gin Labs is to try and keep the "blue/white" boost going for as long as possible (you can obtain it twice in a lap). For Roo Tubes you need to obtain the powerful red-boost (which you can get from two big jumps) and then turbo-slide like mad-even over the short-cut at the end because Oxide does. As for Mystery Caves; again the powerful red-boost is essential and you need to take the short-cut at the start and use the red-boost to navigate the short-cut (which normally slows you down) as quickly as possible.

Only 4 days until the grand prix finishes. I'm not playing much online now. Kinda burnt-out.

I haven't even touched Time Trials yet (save for Crash Cove and Twilight Tour which I only did to complete the GP challenges) 😅

I got back to my Adventure Classic Mode playthrough and so far I got all the platinum relics from worlds 1 to 3. Some are fairly easy, but some are hell. Blizzard Bluff is really annoying. So is Papu's Pyramid. But I'm getting there.

BTW, the N. Tropy Digital skin unlocks if I get all of CTR's platinum relics or do I have to get the CNK ones too? Because that would be N. Sane.

6 minutes ago, Jango said:

BTW, the N. Tropy Digital skin unlocks if I get all of CTR's platinum relics or do I have to get the CNK ones too?

Pfft, You wish. You've got to beat all of N. Oxide's Ghosts (except for the bonus stage of Twilight Tour) to unlock that skin.

14 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Beat another 5 Oxide time-trials today (Cortex Castle, Hot Air Skyway, N.Gin Labs, Roo Tubes & Mystery caves). The key to beatng N.Gin Labs is to try and keep the "blue/white" boost going for as long as possible (you can obtain it twice in a lap). For Roo Tubes you need to obtain the powerful red-boost (which you can get from two big jumps) and then turbo-slide like mad-even over the short-cut at the end because Oxide does. As for Mystery Caves; again the powerful red-boost is essential and you need to take the short-cut at the start and use the red-boost to navigate the short-cut (which normally slows you down) as quickly as possible.

I've beaten all except Oxide Station. That time trial just feels impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I guess getting all the platinum relics unlocks the 3 paintjobs (sapphire, gold and platinum). Still not sure if I have to get from both CTR and CNK :S

I recall beating the N. Tropy ghosts in the original fairly easy, but I've never tried the Oxide ones hehe 

Lol sorry to rain on you Jango but I beat all the N Tropy AND Oxide ghosts in the original as a child, twice.  N Tropy is waaaay harder in this game, Oxide Station was a particular bitch and Tiny Temple was another pain in the ass, hopefully you doing the Plat Relics will have helped you since i haven't done those yet, but I just unlocked N Tropy last week and it was way harder then I remember in the original

• Fist Bump 1

29 minutes ago, StratusAsterion said:

Lol sorry to rain on you Jango but I beat all the N Tropy AND Oxide ghosts in the original as a child, twice.  N Tropy is waaaay harder in this game, Oxide Station was a particular bitch and Tiny Temple was another pain in the ass, hopefully you doing the Plat Relics will have helped you since i haven't done those yet, but I just unlocked N Tropy last week and it was way harder then I remember in the original

Same man. Same.

15 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Only 4 days until the grand prix finishes. I'm not playing much online now. Kinda burnt-out.

Ugh! Tell me about it. This grand prix event really hasn't been done the best. The worst thing is that, becuase of the stupid rotations, it's looking like I'm not going to get all of the grand prix items (albeit, it's just two paint jobs, the stickers set and several of the twilight tires that I'm missing, but it's still dumb nonetheless).

1 hour ago, StratusAsterion said:

...Congratulations? I never tried the Oxide ghosts back then because I knew it didn't unlocked anything, so whatevs.

I'm not too eager to unlock the Digital skin anyways, I was mostly looking forward to the paintjob. Will do the time trials eventually, can't be that hard. The relic challenges are harder IMO because on top of being fast, you gotta hit those damn crates, and I swear some of them are just insane. 

Gotta agree with most of the choices on the list except numbers 4 and  5. I'd honestly put Tiny Arena and Coco Park on the list instead. Tiny Arena goes on for too long and is visually monotonous. Coco Park is just too basic with a forgettable atmosphere and grating background music.

8 hours ago, Jovahexeon Ogilvie Maurice said:

I've beaten all except Oxide Station. That time trial just feels impossible.

Perhaps this will help. I've manged to beat Oxide's time trial in Oxide Station! I recorded my attempt:

Also beat Polar Pass & Tiny Area today.

I still need to beat seven more (Crash Cove, Sewer Speedway, Coco Park, Blizzard Bluff, Dragon Mines, Tiny Temple & Inferno fucking-hard Island).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Tiny Arena's one of my faves. Great track for really sticking it with the kart, love to get crazy with jumps and turns. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Jango said:

...Congratulations? I never tried the Oxide ghosts back then because I knew it didn't unlocked anything, so whatevs.

I'm not too eager to unlock the Digital skin anyways, I was mostly looking forward to the paintjob. Will do the time trials eventually, can't be that hard. The relic challenges are harder IMO because on top of being fast, you gotta hit those damn crates, and I swear some of them are just insane. 

...I didn't mean to come off as condescending or gloating or mean...sorry, I just wanted to basically state that the Time Trial this time around are far harder in certain stages in particular than in the original, i'm really sorry if i came off poorly i truly didn't mean to

Well, only 2 platinum relics in Citadel City left. N. Gin Labs, which I gave up after a lot of attempts and Hot Air Skyway, which I missed the platinum for one second on my first run and decided to move on and try it later. Funnily enough I got the Oxide Station platinum on my first run and fucking up a lot lol

22 minutes ago, StratusAsterion said:

...I didn't mean to come off as condescending or gloating or mean...sorry, I just wanted to basically state that the Time Trial this time around are far harder in certain stages in particular than in the original, i'm really sorry if i came off poorly i truly didn't mean to

😭 Comere! I didn't mean it either. I'm aware that the time trials are harder, mostly everything is a bit harder than the original in Nitro-Fueled.