Awoo.

Simpsons Comics ending

Big Panda

(If you read that title as “Simpsons ending”, sorry to get your hopes up)

https://www.cbr.com/simpsons-comics-end-bongo/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yep, this is soul-crushing.

While I was never an avid reader of the series, I always appreciated their existance. I often found myself picking them up when I was in the mood (and built up a sizeable collection of them in the process), and I always went out of my way to get the Treehouse of Horror issues every year because those were bloody amazing. Overall, the series has generally been a staple of my childhood store trips.

Of course I’ve mostly been buying the UK edition (which actually got a relaunch last year), which will likely follow not too long after since its just printing the American content months later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems a bit of a coincidence that Simpsons comics are ending when the Disney-Fox business happened. Chances are that they might start again in the future, just with a partner that Disney decides to choose and not as much direct control.

I've not read the comics but judging by the few that I have seen, seems to be a bit of a different tone than the show as in that they are a bit more wackier. Then again it might have got cancelled due to poor sales and not enough to keep Bongo going, don't recall anyone reading these comics. Judging by the tweet, at least the artists have found new jobs elsewhere and knew that it was ending.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

While I was never an avid reader of the series, I always appreciated their existance. I often found myself picking them up when I was in the mood (and built up a sizeable collection of them in the process), and I always went out of my way to get the Treehouse of Horror issues every year because those were bloody amazing. Overall, the series has generally been a staple of my childhood store trips.

My experience is similar; I used to buy these quite often when I was younger.  I barely even remember the actual content, but I remember it had a noticeably different nuance to the TV show; I'm not sure I could imagine an episode of the TV show making a sophisticated P.G. Wodehouse joke.  I don't remember when I stopped buying them, but my memories are positive.

5 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I remember it had a noticeably different nuance to the TV show

For better or for worse?

35 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

For better or for worse?

Better imo.

It was a little more wacky than the show, but in a good way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Geez, I collected so many Simpsons graphic novels and issues in my youth. It was one of the first comic books I'd ever get, because my supermarket had them in stock all the time. To know it's ending, well... Ouch. I enjoyed those comics, and it's a shame to see it go. They had some fun stories that, while a bit wackier than the TV series, were still very much grounded in reality. Plus, with no voice actor restrictions, certain characters got to live on, and there could be loads of characters in a single story.

I remember there was a TV episode that even referenced these comics too, I think it was the episode with Everyman, where Bart and Comic Book Guy send their comic book from their publisher, and it pans over to a truck labeled Bongo Comics with stacks of comics being unloaded. You couldn't see what the comics were, but if you knew the comics, you got the reference. That's more than Archie Sonic will ever get from the Sonic games.

And speaking of Archie Sonic, there was a Simpsons comic story that was a giant shout-out to Archie comics, and guess what they made an off-hand mention to during the story? The Archie Sonic comics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

And speaking of Archie Sonic, there was a Simpsons comic story that was a giant shout-out to Archie comics, and guess what they made an off-hand mention to during the story? The Archie Sonic comics. 

Wow what??

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Wow what??

I'm sure I've got the issue with the reference lying around somewhere, I need to find it.

Okay, so after a bit of digging, I owned a LOT of these comics.

And apparently, what I found isn't even all of them.

RBR1lZyr.jpg

As for the Archie reference, that's in an issue that I cannot find. Asking my sister, who owns just as many as I do, apparently it's somewhere else that I cannot get to right now. I know it's a part of issue #207 in a story called "Everything's Bartchie", after a quick search online.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

How about ending the television show?  I'm not sad that the comics have ended.  The television needs to end after season 30.  It has gone on for too long and I think even the most diehard fans are not interested in new episodes...