Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - DADDY SAKURAI'S WILD RIDE HAS CONCLUDED

Sonictrainer

7 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Not enough people.  Shantae has a much more obvious fanbase because of what a fanart-friendly series it is, but Shovel Knight is the much bigger success story as a game, and he only managed Assist Trophy status (which of course, to say "only" is a bit disrespectful to how cool that is for an indie developer.

It might be hard to imagine with all the deconfirmations the last direct brought, but one has to assume that the 5 DLC fighters chosen are more well-known than Shantae.

This. And even then, Shovel Knight's AT status probably owes itself, in-part, to the fact that Nintendo is the publisher for his game in Japan. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for both of them to make the cut, but I just don't see it happening. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

What I mean is that I suspect Nintendo asked Sakurai to make one character specifically to be an early-purchase bonus, and Sakurai chose and designed the character specifically with that criterion in mind, rather than simply drawing from the wider pool of obvious characters people want.  Making a non-standard fighter, one with name recognition value and that would be nice to have but not something anyone was raving for, is to my mind the point; a character people wouldn't necessarily go out of their way to pay for but would be happy to get as an extra.  In this light, the significance is not that Piranha Plant will be available to purchase, but rather that most people won't have to purchase it.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

To be honest, given it's a DLC code that's inside the box and downloadable from Day 1, it honestly comes off more like Nintendo cut out one of the characters they thought they could get away with so they could sell it back as DLC.

Even when Smash 4 did a similar promotion, it was MewTwo, who took about three months after the 3DS launch to release, and was included in the line-up of DLC characters. The fact that our good old plant pal happens to be completed to a full state, is seemingly ready for release on launch day itself, and isn't apart of the DLC line-up, but rather seemingly exists as it's own entity in terms of DLC really indicates to me that Nintendo pulled a really scummy move and chopped out a character for an early DLC bonus.

And granted, at least including him as a "early purchase" bonus (as in you get it free if you buy the game either digitally or physically in the first month) isn't as bad as Day 1 DLC, it's still pretty garbage as a whole that Nintendo seemingly stooped to such a thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Look there is one character that NEEDS to be in smash. Of course it's obvious and you'd be silly not to see it. His name starts with a "T" and ends with and "S" I think you all know who I am talking about......😎

Spoiler

No-More-Heroes.jpg

What who'd you think I'd say......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To be honest, given it's a DLC code that's inside the box and downloadable from Day 1, it honestly comes off more like Nintendo cut out one of the characters they thought they could get away with so they could sell it back as DLC.

Even when Smash 4 did a similar promotion, it was MewTwo, who took about three months after the 3DS launch to release, and was included in the line-up of DLC characters. The fact that our good old plant pal happens to be completed to a full state, is seemingly ready for release on launch day itself, and isn't apart of the DLC line-up, but rather seemingly exists as it's own entity in terms of DLC really indicates to me that Nintendo pulled a really scummy move and chopped out a character for an early DLC bonus.

And granted, at least including him as a "early purchase" bonus (as in you get it free if you buy the game either digitally or physically in the first month) isn't as bad as Day 1 DLC, it's still pretty garbage as a whole that Nintendo seemingly stooped to such a thing.

Untrue, Pirahna Plant is still being developed.  Sakurai explicitly said so in the direct.  It won't be avaliable until February.  Like it's literally the exact same case as Mewtwo.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

Just now, JezMM said:

Untrue, Pirahna Plant is still being developed.  Sakurai explicitly said so in the direct.  It won't be avaliable until February.  Like it's literally the exact same case as Mewtwo.

Then if that's the case, I apologise. Everyone I've asked regarding the case told me the same thing. "Pre-order or buy in the first month, and get Pirahna Plant free". As in get a code to immediately download him.

And given how underwhelming the Direct was other than Spirits/WoL and the character announces, I never bothered watching the final one since the clips on YouTube were enough for me.

• Fist Bump 1

I dunno, when Mewtwo was announced they basically only had a playermodel ready to show and not much else. Far as I can tell PP doesn't actually have any glaring moveset ommissions - worst case, they're still in the balancing phase, but that's still far enough in that I consider the ommission really weird if nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

I dunno, when Mewtwo was announced they basically only had a playermodel ready to show and not much else. Far as I can tell PP doesn't actually have any glaring moveset ommissions - worst case, they're still in the balancing phase, but that's still far enough in that I consider the ommission really weird if nothing else.

To be fair, we have no idea how working it is outside of the explicit footage we got in the trailer.  Most likely balance is the biggest thing, but animations may not be final, there might be numerous glitches with how he behaves with other game elements, etc.  The fact that he did a disclaimer and yet nothing looked wrong might just illustrate the difference in insight between observer and developer.  I know it's unlikely but just as developers make bullshots that don't reflect the final quality of the game, I'm sure that can occur in trailers too - like they specifically animate something for the sake of a trailer to make it look how they plan for it to go in the final game, but it's all just animation, the programming isn't actually done yet, etc.

Likewise on the flipside, we have no idea how far along Mewtwo was behind the scenes even though they chose to not show gameplay footage.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

That's a fair point too. I guess I just wanted to point out there's enough room for reasonable doubt both ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Then if that's the case, I apologise. Everyone I've asked regarding the case told me the same thing. "Pre-order or buy in the first month, and get Pirahna Plant free". As in get a code to immediately download him.

The Direct was ambiguous on this front, but the official website leaves no room for interpretation:

Register your game with My Nintendo by Jan. 31, 2019, and Piranha Plant will join the battle when it’s available, around Feb. 2019!

• Thumbs Up 2

I though carefully and here are my guesses/hopes about DLC

1) 1st Party I want to see (and have even tiny chances)
- Dixie (can hope, but DK has one newcomer in this game)
- Tingle (suspiciously his AT is gone and Zelda lacks newcomer. Still, can Sakurai put another 'joke' character?)
- Andy from Advance Wars (Golden Sun and Arms are AT, Advance Wars is last IP Nintendo might try to use)
Xenoblade and Fire Emblem may pull out someone, but I wouldn't care. And then there is Mario...

2) 3rd Party I want to see
- Shantae (high hopes)
- Rayman (reasonable hopes)
- Banjo & Sora (I know, legal issues. But they the 2 most wanted guys)
- Crash & Spyro (again, bit tricky, but would be fun)
- Klonoa & Lara Croft (I'm probably only one who wants them)

3) 3rd Party I expect to see
Mostly a bunch of Capcom characters (Okami, Ace Attorney, maybe even Dante), but I know people talk about Undertale, Minecraft and Dark Souls. Also, Tekken and No More Heroes have good chances.
(Konami or Sega miiiiiiight have a newcomer, but I they IPs are less demanded. Then again, we seen weirder things than Pyramid Head joining Smash.

15 hours ago, FFWF said:

And who would Waluigi have been an echo of, exactly?  They picked Daisy because it was easy.

Luigi. If there are any problems with his animation just keep them as a part of Waluigi's charm. Bugs as as features.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Luigi. If there are any problems with his animation just keep them as a part of Waluigi's charm. Bugs as as features

He's way too tall to function as an echo for Luigi.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

He's way too tall to function as an echo for Luigi.

....he could crouch?

Okay, you made your points. Still, 'too tall' was what they said about Ridley. I bet it's still possible, just harder.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

....he could crouch?

Okay, you made your points. Still, 'too tall' was what they said about Ridley. I bet it's still possible, just harder.

Dude, part of Waluigi's design is that he's always bending his knees and he's still about a head taller than Luigi.

His charm is to not be an echo.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

....he could crouch?

Yeah... that's a dumb argument.

Isabelle was made not an Echo because she doesn't have quite the right body shape and size as Villager. And AC characters are very close to one another in stature.

Waluigi is more than small enough to be a playable character. He's just too tall to echo Luigi. He could be a semiclone of Luigi, but not an Echo.

22 hours ago, Solly said:

This. And even then, Shovel Knight's AT status probably owes itself, in-part, to the fact that Nintendo is the publisher for his game in Japan. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for both of them to make the cut, but I just don't see it happening. 

The fact Nintendo went out the way to show her as a Sprit and the creator and company asking fans to continue to pull for her even after that gives many she has a better chance than most. They could have used that scene for anyone bigger but yet they picked shantae

Why would they ask for fans to push for her if she’s already in though? The list is finalized so there really wouldn’t be a point to having the company push for her inclusion if she was already in, and since the list is finalized, odds are if they’re doing that, she probably won’t make it in the first batch of dlc.

• Thumbs Up 3

Either they already know and are under a NDA and knowing the staff as long as I have they wont risk leaking it. Same as her being a sprit. If anything it's to keep fans happy till the end. Still has has a better chance than most not guaranteed but better chance at being on the list than most like say banjo. At the moment

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Either they already know and are under a NDA and knowing the staff as long as I have they wont risk leaking it. Same as her being a sprit. If anything it's to keep fans happy till the end. Still has has a better chance than most not guaranteed but better chance at being on the list than most like say banjo. At the moment

I mean, the creator of Shantae himself basically confirmed that she won't be one of the 5 DLC characters.

I could see Shantae joining after those, but it's not very likely even though I'd love for her to be playable.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I mean, the creator of Shantae himself basically confirmed that she won't be one of the 5 DLC characters.

I could see Shantae joining after those, but it's not very likely even though I'd love for her to be playable.

No he didnt. I follow matt on twitter and never once has he said that.

21 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No he didnt. I follow matt on twitter and never once has he said that.

Of course he didn't outright state that, but one of his tweets did say something about supporting Shantae for Smash along with a "#ShantaeForFourOutOfTheFiveSmashDLCs", whatever that means.

He then deleted that tweet and said:

I'm sure that if Shantae was really any of the 5 characters then he wouldn't have said anything.

He was joking that he wanted her to take up 4 of the spots with all shantae characters. But fans were confused on what to tweet cause he said that. The orginal is still #shantaeforsmash.

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

He was joking that he wanted her to take up 4 of the spots with all shantae characters. But fans were confused on what to tweet cause he said that. The orginal is still #shantaeforsmash.

I see.

My point is, do you think he would've said that if Shantae was indeed one of the DLC characters? I'd love for Shantae to be in Smash, she's in my top 3 (excluding characters who are Assist Trophies) but I just can't see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 2

The shovel knight guys layed low iirc when shovel knight was just a assist, so I’d assume wayforward would have done similar if shantae was a lock for a playable character 

• Thumbs Up 3