Awoo.

The Return of Cosmo

Transcended Dimensions

This would be my prediction/idea for the Sonic universe.  Tails is in a certain predicament.  This situation could either be facing a very powerful opponent or some other type of situation beyond his abilities.  Cosmo returns in spirit form and informs Tails that she has lived on in spirit form after she has died.  She has voyaged through the universe and she has transcended spiritual powers.  She fuses with Tails just like how the Dragon Ball Z characters fuse.  Their love attracts them together and they combine into one being known as "Cosmic Tails."  Cosmic Tails is a beautiful, transcended, powerful being and he/she has enhanced abilities and powers to face powerful opponents and to achieve goals that would have been impossible for Tails alone.  Lastly, the name of the episode where Cosmo and Tails fuse would be called "A Cosmic Reunion." 

Depends on the canon you're talking about here. If this is about the game universe, well... Cosmo can't return if she never existed.

In the context of Sonic X... well, I guess it's somewhat possible but when is Sega ever going to even acknowledge Sonic X again that isn't a "Gotta Go Fast" meme?

• Thumbs Up 1

I assume by Sonic Universe you mean the game continuity? Not sure about Tails and Cosmo fusing but I'd love to see her in the game continuity as I have always loved her design:

Spoiler

6283110-6139663661-266

6283105-3318495041-DV7u4.jpg

Always wanted more characters with the Lumina Flowlight/Void/NiGHTS type of design.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20120302225230

latest?cb=20140405111111

SEGA has been sneaking X content into the game canon like Shadow's inhibitor rings and the Chaotix office (in the Sonic Channel comic), I feel like Cosmo would be a great edition... maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Never thought I'd be saying that Forces Tails sounds preferable to anything, but wow. I've been proven wrong.

Okay to be less spammy... There's nothing about this idea that really works. Cosmo is an obscure character from X, the series completely shuns romantic sub-plots because they've no place in this action-comedy series and Dragon Ball sequence fusion? Eesh. I mean, any circumstance that requires Tails to become "more powerful" should probably be rewritten to focus on a different character or pay to Tails existing strengths as a character. This kind of arc is unfitting for him.

I don't think you'll find your idea is going to be very popular here, but maybe you could write a fanfic?

• Thumbs Up 4

The most I'd ever want to see of Cosmo is something like a comic-adaptation of the Space Arc using more of the game rules and characters. Don't try to revive Sonic X's continuity since it sucks, and don't try bringing her into the games, because nobody would know who she is, and it would only be more confusing if she apparently knew everyone.

And y'know, magically resurrecting characters is a quick way to remove all stakes and tension from your story.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

The most I'd ever want to see of Cosmo is something like a comic-adaptation of the Space Arc using more of the game rules and characters. Don't try to revive Sonic X's continuity since it sucks, and don't try bringing her into the games, because nobody would know who she is, and it would only be more confusing if she apparently knew everyone.

And y'know, magically resurrecting characters is a quick way to remove all stakes and tension from your story.

I think my idea would have to be a fan fiction, fan video, or a fan art then.

35 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

and don't try bringing her into the games, because nobody would know who she is

Would they just think she's a new character then? And wouldn't this just be similar to Chaotix's situation in 2003-4?

• Thumbs Up 1

Cosmo was explicitly a Sonic X character, and SEGA prefer not to use characters from alternate media so they tend to die once their cartoon or other medium is over. 

The Chaotix are very, very complicated. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that. 

7 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Would they just think she's a new character then? And wouldn't this just be similar to Chaotix's situation in 2003-4?

Not if she's supposed to have been resurrected as the OP states.

13 minutes ago, MainJP said:

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Cosmo was explicitly a Sonic X character, and SEGA prefer not to use characters from alternate media so they tend to die once their cartoon or other medium is over. 

The Chaotix are very, very complicated. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that. 

Also Cosmo was an alien species with a ton of weird backstories and stuff. If she were to appear in a game, she would need to have some introduction and explanation, then establishment as Tails's gf or Sonic's friend, then being killed off and THEN resurrected.

Chaotix didn't need that much explanation. They were regular mobians: crocodile, chameleon, and bee which fit right in Sonic-verse. They didn't have a long deep lore or backstory. Newcomers who first saw them in Heros only had to know they were a goofy-serious detective agency trio.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic be wondering what's going on when he sees a beautiful fuse Tails. Cosmic was one of the more interesting characters in Sonic X and gave Tails something to do that's not about machines Sega really should add her in the next racing game!

I don't think her being alien is that much of an issue when we have the Babylon Rogues flying around and they were introduced with little issue (okay, aliens later but that's how easy it is to introduce that element). You could argue they had quite a bit of backstory, but I don't think it consumed their narrative that much. 

Still doesn't mean I think she'd have a chance, mind. 

14 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Not if she's supposed to have been resurrected as the OP states.

Forgot that part very quickly.

For what it's worth, I think Sonic X characters have more going for them than characters not designed by Uekawa and Sonic Team. If Sega really wanted to utilize non-Classic Sonic/Modern Sonic characters, besides Sticks, it's more likely they'd turn to Sonic X rather than say the Freedom Fighters. And Chris and Cosmo are by far the most well recognized and most popular Sonic X original characters (with Bokkun probably being a distant third) so they'd be the first ones selected. But I don't think either is so popular that Sega would actually bother to do that though.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

And Chris and Cosmo are by far the most well recognized and most popular Sonic X original characters (with Bokkun probably being a distant third)

Chris is one of the most popular Sonic X characters...?

Anyway, regarding the OP, I'll agree with everyone else and say that this is definitely an idea for fan works only. I personally have no love for Sonic X and would like to see it remain buried, but beyond my own opinions, it's very unlikely Sega will dredge up an old non-canon media anyway. Though, I will say that I might actually like this idea using entirely different, non-Sonic characters. It's mostly my feelings about Sonic X and about using Tails in this way (I just don't think this sounds like it fits him) that keep me from liking this.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Chris is one of the most popular Sonic X characters...?

I also said most recognized, but I'd say he's fairly popular too. Kids that grew up with the show seem to have a lot less problem with Chris from my experience than those that were already Sonic fans. He's certainly more popular than say Sam Speed, Mr. Tanaka, or most of Sonic X's other originals at least.

3 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

For what it's worth, I think Sonic X characters have more going for them than characters not designed by Uekawa and Sonic Team. If Sega really wanted to utilize non-Classic Sonic/Modern Sonic characters, besides Sticks, it's more likely they'd turn to Sonic X rather than say the Freedom Fighters. And Chris and Cosmo are by far the most well recognized and most popular Sonic X original characters (with Bokkun probably being a distant third) so they'd be the first ones selected. But I don't think either is so popular that Sega would actually bother to do that though.

I agree that Cosmo’s now at the top of the pecking order of it were to ever happen (disregarding stuff from those odds and ends of the spinoffs beyond ST), but Sonic Team’s ‘Mercian Base may as well now mean the Freedom Fighters are gunning for it.

58 minutes ago, SaberX said:

I do like Cosmo design, but thats it. Everything else about the character is boring.

But heck...fuse? Love-fuse? By the gods, no. It sounds like one of those terrible and weird fanfics.

I think it all depends on how you present the idea of Cosmo and Tails fusing that determines whether it would be a terrible idea or not.  If you were to, for example, present that idea with lame, corny love music and lame, corny love scenes, then it would be a terrible idea.  But if you were to present it with amazing, beautiful, powerful, profound music and scenes, then that would make it a great idea.  There are certain ideas that, when presented with amazing music and scenes, are still terrible ideas.  But then there are ideas that, when presented with amazing music and scenes, are great ideas.  I think the Cosmo and Tails fusion would be one of those great ideas.  Personally, I do not understand why it would be a terrible idea as long as it is presented properly.

1 hour ago, Transcended Dimensions said:

I think it all depends on how you present the idea of Cosmo and Tails fusing that determines whether it would be a terrible idea or not.  If you were to, for example, present that idea with lame, corny love music and lame, corny love scenes, then it would be a terrible idea.  But if you were to present it with amazing, beautiful, powerful, profound music and scenes, then that would make it a great idea.  There are certain ideas that, when presented with amazing music and scenes, are still terrible ideas.  But then there are ideas that, when presented with amazing music and scenes, are great ideas.  I think the Cosmo and Tails fusion would be one of those great ideas.  Personally, I do not understand why it would be a terrible idea as long as it is presented properly.

In general, I agree that execution is more important than concept, but if someone is really repelled by this idea, I don't think the presentation and music is going to make or break it. I can think of several reasons why it would still seem inherently problematic to some. I mean, for one thing, Tails is an elementary school age child. Not everyone is going to be a fan of him being involved in "serious" romance, and this love fusion thing certainly sounds very dramatic and serious. And then there's many other factors, such as not wanting to dredge up stuff from Sonic X, not wanting to add another concept from Dragon Ball to Sonic, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

In general, I agree that execution is more important than concept, but if someone is really repelled by this idea, I don't think the presentation and music is going to make or break it. I can think of several reasons why it would still seem inherently problematic to some. I mean, for one thing, Tails is an elementary school age child. Not everyone is going to be a fan of him being involved in "serious" romance, and this love fusion thing certainly sounds very dramatic and serious. And then there's many other factors, such as not wanting to dredge up stuff from Sonic X, not wanting to add another concept from Dragon Ball to Sonic, etc.

But I'm talking about something such as a fan video like the Nazo Unleashed video where Shadow and Sonic fuse to become Shadic.  So, for a fan video, this idea might work out.  But, for the actual Sonic universe, it might not work out as you just said.  Since the Shadow and Sonic fusion might not work out for the actual Sonic universe and only applies to a fan video, then perhaps the Tails and Cosmo fusion is also meant only for a fan video, too.

I think another thing to consider is that fusion between two characters is a very new concept for Sonic (right?).

Ignoring "well it's in dragonball!", it's very out of place in a Sonic world.

Could Cosmo return? I feel like the odds of that happening are very, very slim. And that fusion technique? Eh...not sure about it...

But honestly, for Cosmo to come back, I feel like some red tape would have to be dealt with, and even then, considering Sonic X ended over a decade ago (and heck, even the comics ended nearly ten years ago), it'd have to be via another continuity altogether. And in the context of said other continuities like the games or the IDW comic, story-wise, she'd have to be treated as if she's a new character, since well, as far as those continuities are concerned, she pretty much would be.

Now, I do think she could at least fit in IDW (unsure about the games), but again, red tape would have to be dealt with. Red tape I'm not even sure would even be worth the trouble of going through, myself.

• Thumbs Up 3

Lastly, the name of the episode where Cosmo and Tails fuse would be called "A Cosmic Reunion."