Awoo.

Sonic Needs a Reboot

Almar

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

But if you were hypothetically in charge of reboot

It isn't about the parts you don't like

Its about the parts everyone else does

Then you must think this whole thread is a farce, huh? Hardly a point in asking people what they'd do if the only valid answer is "whatever the majority decides".

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

And why have an example of what happens when you remove such things, its boom shadow.

No one likes boom shadow. There you go, there's your active example. That shadow that no one likes and wanders constantly why he is around, because he has no character motivations and is just vegeta because you took all the cool shit away. 

There are more than two ways to write Shadow.

42 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Then you must think this whole thread is a farce, huh? Hardly a point in asking people what they'd do if the only valid answer is "whatever the majority decides".

Yeah, its how that works. When you are rebooting it isn't about you, its about the demographics that like that thing, and if you are removing the thing the demographic that likes shadow , like about shadow you are removing that demographic. You are loosing money. The market majority decides everything, cash money. 

Instead of removing those things, the smarter thing to do in these types of situation, is to try and work it to make it possibly more palatable to a potential demographic, more less complicated for a potential new demo, or with out not outright removing it, making changes. That retains aspects, but introduces new ones. 

There are more than two ways to write Shadow.

There are, but taking key things away from that character for a " fresh new take " is the literally how so many reboots, like especially in the last generations of video games, maybe learn from those reboots. And instead of just taking away shit, understand why people like things, and work with that. 

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah, its how that works. When you are rebooting it isn't about you, its about the demographics that like that thing

Maybe that's how you'd do a reboot, but it certainly isn't how I would.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

and if you are removing the thing the demographic that likes shadow , like about shadow you are removing that demographic. You are loosing money. The market majority decides everything, cash money. 

I'd say it's worth the trade.

Shadow's backstory as penned by Sonic Adventure 2 was hardly too complicated for the audience to follow even with the ambiguity of whether he was the Shadow lauched to Earth or one made by Gerald on Prison Island. It was Sonic Heroes resetting Shadow and Shadow the Hedgehog with its Black Doom retcon that launched it way out of control. A reboot could just stick to what Sadv2 established and rewrite Heroes then jettison Shadow the Hedgehog.

42 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Maybe that's how you'd do a reboot, but it certainly isn't how I would.

I'd say it's worth the trade.

I'd say you are setting yourself up for failure and your pitch wouldn't get out the door. 

But this is all hypothetical so its whatever

28 minutes ago, Almar said:

Shadow's backstory as penned by Sonic Adventure 2 was hardly too complicated for the audience to follow even with the ambiguity of whether he was the Shadow lauched to Earth or one made by Gerald on Prison Island. It was Sonic Heroes resetting Shadow and Shadow the Hedgehog with its Black Doom retcon that launched it way out of control. A reboot could just stick to what Sadv2 established and rewrite Heroes then jettison Shadow the Hedgehog.

The issue with that, there's people who like the alien stuff, especially when it was reintroduced in the comic the alien character eclipse got pretty popular. I would suggest maybe just try and organize it better. Not only that it gave him unique powers abilities that are generally his own and separates him from sonic with explanation, when done well can be genuinely interesting. Me personally I would actually lessen the sa2 stuff, making Gerald someone who helped stabilize something/someone whether that thing was a black arms in the first place or a hedgehog that existed before hand. 

While i'm not fond of shadow's game or the execution of its story, the alien part when done well seems to have people who like it, I feel like you could get a lot of interesting content out that. I think eclipse caught on for a bit for a reason, he's this related to shadow, that's kinda unique to him and its like " oh what if shadow could transform into a super alien " and things like that out of the kids reading. I think there's a lot of unique sellable content for " super alien shadow" or something that could have people interested, just introduce it a bit better. 

You say it's to appeal to a wide demographic, but if you flip that on its head, Shadow does have a big fanbase, but I would bet that most of that popularity is on a superficial level, altering his backstory would not necessarily alienate the majority of his fans, while at the same time, the dramatic backstory for the character is probably viewed in conjunction with the decline of the series. Retooling the character's backstory could potentially increase his appeal beyond his already existing fanbase.

17 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

You say it's to appeal to a wide demographic, but if you flip that on its head, Shadow does have a big fanbase, but I would bet that most of that popularity is on a superficial level, altering his backstory would not necessarily alienate the majority of his fans, while at the same time, the dramatic backstory for the character is probably viewed in conjunction with the decline of the series. Retooling the character's backstory could potentially increase his appeal beyond his already existing fanbase.

And I'd bet the exact opposite given that a lot of Shadow fans, as annoying as their worst side can be, can delve far deeper than that as to why they like the character, and there's no doubt his backstory will be one of them. Yes, while there may be a certain conjunction with the series decline (one that is misguided really just simple scapegoating if they think it's because of Shadow and his backstory) that would mainly be the case for ShTH, not for SA2 unless you want to be a revisionist and straight up lie about the perception of the franchise when Shadow was around during the early 2000's.

While there were no doubt a number of people that didn't like Shadow or the direction of the Adventure titles, those games were successful for their time, and franchise wasn't seen in a massive decline until after Heroes, in which the game afterwards resulted in the very vocal split that we dealing with today--and I would know given that I and at least several people on this very board have lived though that ugly moment and can name specific moments and topics made during that time before everything was erased back in 2009.

And as far as retooling his backstory goes, there is definitely a way to do so without alienating or ticking of long time fans and bring in new ones at the same time. Not saying this about you, but you'd have to be pretty small minded to think a majority of that has to be chucked in the trash because a vocal group, one that doesn't represent the majority anymore than the other factions of this fandom, hates it. And it even more petty to think just having the character alone is enough to satisfy their original fans--they didn't become fans of Shadow solely because they thought he looked cool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

37 minutes ago, Emerald Chaos said:

You say it's to appeal to a wide demographic, but if you flip that on its head, Shadow does have a big fanbase, but I would bet that most of that popularity is on a superficial level,

No, considering how hyped people were before they saw the disappointing game play , about forces because it was going back to a serious story. And how hyped people were you could play as shadow and team dark was back in some capacity. They like the Edgy parts, they is proof to them liking the edgey parts

Because there's a version of shadow with out the edgy parts, and no one likes it. 

altering his backstory would not necessarily alienate the majority of his fans, while at the same time, the dramatic backstory for the character is probably viewed in conjunction with the decline of the series. Retooling the character's backstory could potentially increase his appeal beyond his already existing fanbase.

People viewing that with conjunction with the " downfall of the series" doesn't mean anything, ( one because it isn't true and is revisionist as hell ) but two because there are groups of people who view everything past classic as the " down fall of the series" that's not an actual reason to take that away from the character because there are other people who like the character and aspects around it. If some people had their way and retooled based on the  " down fall of the series" everything would be classic based, and nothing would take itself seriously. Sonic basing itself on criticism on one part of the fanbase and ignoring the other is why we are here at this moment now. Its why people are crying for more serious stories, because they did that, they did retool the series for that, shadow wasn't around, and guess what. Not only did it leave lots of people disappointed, it didn't fix the games turns out get rid of the edgy shit and and all the friends are bad, didn't fix anything. At the end of the day, what will fix the series is making better video games. 

So instead of arbitrarily deciding what part of character you don't seem to care about at all is " superficially "liked , the point of the reboot should be "there is a bunch of shitty video games," we need to make the video games better. Because turns out, like back in SA2, or even generations, people will engage in your weird ass narratives, if the video game is good. That does that mean it wont come with some narrative and ton changes, no of course there will be. Does that mean you need throw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to quite literally the most popular non sonic character in the franchise? No.

Retooling shadows backstory isn't going to fix shitty video games, its going to make shadow fans upset, he isn't going to gain new ones because you ruined his motivation, and he'll just be a shitty character in shitty video games, that no one likes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, now I'm lost with the current discussion...

I'll just go along with topic and summarize my thoughts like this: I'd keep a lot of the general spirit of things intact all throughout the franchise, but I'd retool the parts that didn't work in order to make them operate well. Something like the Black Arms would work better without the Alien angle, because while it's easy to tell they worked the entire backstory with Shadow's 50 slumber that shit literally came out of nowhere as far as their relation to everything that happened in ShTH. Sonic 06 I would make the plot less stupid--in the past, I had no idea how I'd go about this, but over the years I started to have a spark on how to do it--make Mephiles more pragmatic and direct in his goals and have him direct Silver to keep Shadow away would be a good start instead of how it originally went. And as for games Unleashed and onward, I'd probably just add more of the cast in major NPC roles and expand their stories even more, because I always thought those games wasted a lot of opportunities not having their other characters around even in a non playable role.

• Nice Smile 1

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

No, considering how hyped people were before they saw the disappointing game play , about forces because it was going back to a serious story. And how hyped people were you could play as shadow and team dark was back in some capacity. They like the Edgy parts, they is proof to them liking the edgey parts

Well most of what I've seen has been mixed in regards to the response of Sonic Forces tone and I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said about why people like Shadow.

"Edginess" is sort of inherent to Shadow and does not necessitate a convoluted backstory.

Because there's a version of shadow with out the edgy parts, and no one likes it. 

You mean Boom Shadow, right? How do you explain the enormous amount of nagging from fans that the Sonic Boom crew got to
put Shadow in the series. Especially since there was precedence for his portrayal in Rise of Lyric.  I'm not arguing that
Boom Shadow is good or how a potential rework should be done. But if the majority of his fans cared about more than just
his being there, the demand for Shadow in Sonic Boom would never have existed.

People viewing that with conjunction with the " downfall of the series" doesn't mean anything, ( one because it isn't true and is revisionist as hell ) but two because there are groups of people who view everything past classic as the " down fall of the series" that's not an actual reason to take that away from the character because there are other people who like the character and aspects around it

Okay, I'll overall concede this point. The people I had in mind either have a dogmatic view of the series and want to
restrict what it can be. Or will just outright hate the series no matter what. I was wrong to appeal to that.

If some people had their way and retooled based on the  " down fall of the series" everything would be classic based, and nothing would take itself seriously. Sonic basing itself on criticism on one part of the fanbase and ignoring the other is why we are here at this moment now. Its why people are crying for more serious stories, because they did that, they did retool the series for that, shadow wasn't around, and guess what. Not only did it leave lots of people disappointed, it didn't fix the games turns out get rid of the edgy shit and and all the friends are bad, didn't fix anything. At the end of the day, what will fix the series is making better video games. 

Well, I personally  never said that the games shouldn't have serious stories. What they need is some level of flexibility while maintaining a
recognisable tone. I'm among the people who feel they went too far in the other direction with Colours onwards.

You also seem to misunderstand the tone of the classic games (judging from Sonic Team's currents efforts, they do too...) The tone of the classic games is really different to the tone of games Colours onwards, there's no "not taking itself seriously", no self referential humour or winking at the audience. Sonic doesn't crack jokes nonstop. 
They're a lot more honest in their presentation than that.

"So instead of arbitrarily deciding what part of character you don't seem to care about at all is " superficially "liked , the point of the reboot should be "there is a bunch of shitty video games," we need to make the video games better. Because turns out, like back in SA2, or even generations, people will engage in your weird ass narratives, if the video game is good. That does that mean it wont come with some narrative and ton changes, no of course there will be. Does that mean you need throw the baby out with the bathwater in regards to quite literally the most popular non sonic character in the franchise? No."

To quote Wikipedia, because I believe their definition of a reboot is the most commonly accepted one: 
"In serial fiction, to reboot means to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters,
timeline and backstory from the beginning.[1][2] The term is used with respect to various different forms of fictional
media such as comic books, television series, video games and films among others.[1]

Making good games doesn't really require a reboot at all. The big thing that rebooting the series would allow for is redefining exactly what Sonic is and focusing the direction of the series. If some things from the old continuity don't fit with the new direction of the series, then those things should probably be changed.If you read my first post in this thread you'd know I'm all for keeping as much as you can, my own interpretations of what would be good for the series are probably going to be different from other people's but without actual testing with audiences it's impossible to outright say what would flop and what wouldn't.

"Retooling shadows backstory isn't going to fix shitty video games, its going to make shadow fans upset, he isn't going to gain new ones because you ruined his motivation, and he'll just be a shitty character in shitty video games, that no one likes. "

Obviously changing a character's backstory isn't going to effect the quality of the mechanics, that goes without saying. As for his far reaching appeal, that depends on the quality of how he is written. Like I said before I don't think Sonic Boom approached it in the right way, but just because one attempt was poor, doesn't mean everything about the character is sacred. I think the character can be implemented in a way that hits all his important character beats while tying him closer to the core cast and not involving aliens and government conspiracy.

22 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

But if you were hypothetically in charge of reboot

It isn't about the parts you don't like

Its about the parts everyone else does

Videogames aren't developed by "everyone", as nebulous of a concept as that already is to claim to represent what a majority wants.

3 hours ago, Emerald Chaos said:

Well most of what I've seen has been mixed in regards to the response of Sonic Forces tone and I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said about why people like Shadow.

Shadow kind of represents more " edgy stories" people wanted that, they got it. Too bad the game doesn't look great though

"Edginess" is sort of inherent to Shadow and does not necessitate a convoluted backstory.

No it doesn't,  but you didn't suggest a non concluded backstory. That's fine. I want that, heck I want them to remake sa1 and 2 and to that. However you didn't suggest that, what you suggested was making him into very generic just clone nothing. And that's my issue.

You mean Boom Shadow, right? How do you explain the enormous amount of nagging from fans that the Sonic Boom crew got to
put Shadow in the series.

Because people liked his character from the main series. Like one of  the first questions asked, I think in one of the first sonic boom interviews you can find, i'm talking near announcement of spin off franchise, is " is shadow going to be around " . He's a popular character, thus people asked and desired him to be around. Sega sonic games seem to work in monkey paws though

Especially since there was precedence for his portrayal in Rise of Lyric.  I'm not arguing that
Boom Shadow is good or how a potential rework should be done. But if the majority of his fans cared about more than just
his being there, the demand for Shadow in Sonic Boom would never have existed.

Or they really liked his character and wanted to see a new take on his character, like I did. You making a lot of assumptions about why people wanted shadow around my dude

Okay, I'll overall concede this point. The people I had in mind either have a dogmatic view of the series and want to
restrict what it can be. Or will just outright hate the series no matter what. I was wrong to appeal to that.

Well, I personally  never said that the games shouldn't have serious stories. What they need is some level of flexibility while maintaining a
recognisable tone. I'm among the people who feel they went too far in the other direction with Colours onwards.

I feel like personally, they should just make different toned games for different people would just be the better options. I think forces is a good example of modern sonic, adventure sonic and classic sonic being thrown into a pot, and maybe those pots should have been seperate. Not every game has to be every part of the fanbase, just make a good one and it will attract what it can.

You also seem to misunderstand the tone of the classic games (judging from Sonic Team's currents efforts, they do too...) The tone of the classic games is really different to the tone of games Colours onwards, there's no "not taking itself seriously", no self referential humour or winking at the audience. Sonic doesn't crack jokes nonstop. 
They're a lot more honest in their presentation than that.

Oh I get that, I I agree with you

Making good games doesn't really require a reboot at all. The big thing that rebooting the series would allow for is redefining exactly what Sonic is and focusing the direction of the series.

I think focusing the direction of the series is what got us here in the first place. Maybe you need to not rethink the games, you need to rethink the brand. I don't think the people who want classic sonic really care a lot of the rest of the brand as evidenced as mania. And that's ok, make shit for them, and keep their shit out of other games, and vice versa. The sonic brand doesn't have to be, and never was a single thing for a single group of people , you can make different things and have a much more healthy brand. And not just games , multiple forms of media, you just gotta put the work in and commit to creating good content

If some things from the old continuity don't fit with the new direction of the series, then those things should probably be changed.If you read my first post in this thread you'd know I'm all for keeping as much as you can, my own interpretations of what would be good for the series are probably going to be different from other people's but without actual testing with audiences it's impossible to outright say what would flop and what wouldn't.

That's fair

Obviously changing a character's backstory isn't going to effect the quality of the mechanics, that goes without saying. As for his far reaching appeal, that depends on the quality of how he is written. Like I said before I don't think Sonic Boom approached it in the right way, but just because one attempt was poor, doesn't mean everything about the character is sacred. I think the character can be implemented in a way that hits all his important character beats while tying him closer to the core cast and not involving aliens and government conspiracy.

I don't think that's quite true, whether be aliens or demons, shadow's relation to black arms or black arms equivalent kind of has the most potential out of a lot of sonic concepts introduced outside of blaze's mostly undiscovered world. Not just for introducing more villainous black arms, for shadow himself,  I feel like implemented properly along with the new powers and abilities he got with his game, he could get more and transformations even. And kind of allows him to have an on going " i'm related to monsters , am I a monster" problem, which is for the most part completely takes him away from the core cast. 

Which gets me to another point, him being super far away from the core cast in motivation, is also part why people like him. His situation was and still is rather unique , and they enjoyed that.  I think you can keep government conspiracies and alien related stuff,  but you have to make it more coherent.  It doesn't have to be the same government,  but it needs to serve an extremely similar function.

30 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Videogames aren't developed by "everyone", as nebulous of a concept as that already is to claim to represent what a majority wants.

No, they are developed by dollerydoos though. 

On 10/21/2017 at 11:48 AM, Almar said:

The topic about how Forces should end brought up the idea of rebooting the series (ignore all past reboot attempts) after it. So I figured, let's take a serious look at that.

Here are my questions:

A. If you say (as myself and others do) that Sonic Team is not fit to handle a reboot, who would you suggest to handle it?

B. What's the start of the reboot? All the way to South Island? An alternate Sonic Adventure? After Sonic Adenture 2?

C. Who or what do you suggest to scrap for the reboot? What do you keep?

D. What's the tone?

E. Does it try to have a story arc?

D. Have any suggestions for overall gameplay?

imo this series is badly in need of a reboot in order to give it some sort of brand identity. the truth is sonic has tried so many things that it has no clear identity or consistency in its gameplay tone or even world setting. a reboot would basically allow sega to start all over again and give this franchise a clear identity and consistency in its games which will allow you to have a fair idea of what you will be getting into when ever you buy or hear of a new sonic game.

As for what i would do 

A) sadly there arent many developers out there who make 3d platformers so there isnt a wide range of developers to choose from but if i would pick it would probably be nintendo because imo nintendo are currently the best 3d platform developers out there. they have essentially mastered 3d platforming and imo they could make the sonic franchise just as good as mario in terms of game quality if they really try. if not them then i would also try insomniac games because i like what they did with sunset overdrive and ratchet and clank and i think they can carry somethings from those games over to the sonic franchise.

B ) my version of the reboot will start all over and have its own universe and setting. the setting i  envision  would be a version of earth where anthros and humans live together in peace and the environment is a mix between the real world and some more cartooony environments this way it will allow the games to have a wide variety of options for level settings without making you question the setting.  for the most part it should try to have original stories but may loosely retell some stories such as the 2 adventure games while making some changes to the plot and make it better.

C) I wouldnt really scrap that many characters if im being honest i think every character can still be put to good use. someone like big would be a good comic relief character if done right. i really like the chaotix, Shadow is really popular and speaks for himself. while silver i think has a lot of potential specifically in terms of gameplay and story,he would be a character i would use in later games. but if i had to scrap a character then it would probably be omega.

D) around adventure 2 style 

E) basically i would make it so that every game has its own story so anyone can get into it but i also believe it should at-least show that it takes place after the game before it.for ex if a character dies or the moon gets split in half the next game the character stays dead and moon is still split in half.

F) i'd make it so that it would be a mix of adventure style gameplay and boost style in that normal speed would be adventure 2 pace while you fill up the boost bar. once the boost bar is filled you can boost and move faster but it probably wont reach the boost era levels of speed. the reason is that sonic being too fast means the levels have to be bigger and usually need to have 2d in order for it not to finish too quickly. i would want it to be fully 3d so i would slow him down. the levels would have a good mix of platforming and exploration and would have multiple paths that lead to different areas and not just put you right back. id also bring back having multiple playable characters and make them have similar gameplay as sonic but with their own unique flavor. tails would be slightly slower but have more focus on platfoming and exploration. shadow would basically be the same as sonic except his levels would be harder and have more enemies. knuckles is a tricky one because i think he is the hardest to try and make similar to sonic because imo  knuckles should focus more on combat and exploration but it would be difficult to blend those in with speed . so i'd sort of  make him a mix of his adventure treasure hunting levels and a much faster paced werehog but his campaign would be shorter or optional. i have ideas for other characters as well but cant be bothered writing them.

Don't really see the point since SEGA hasn't cared about this kinda thing but whatever

A. If you say (as myself and others do) that Sonic Team is not fit to handle a reboot, who would you suggest to handle it?

Unless SEGA changes their attitude, Square Enix.

B. What's the start of the reboot? All the way to South Island? An alternate Sonic Adventure? After Sonic Adenture 2?

After Sonic 06

C. Who or what do you suggest to scrap for the reboot? What do you keep?

No need to scrap anything. 

D. What's the tone?

A balance of Comedy and Action.

E. Does it try to have a story arc?

Yes. If I wanted a game series were nothing matters and it just recycles the same crap, that's what Mario is for.

F. Have any suggestions for overall gameplay? 

Don't call your game a "3D game" if you can't commit to 3D. Also, end Solo-Sonic.

Looking back, I back the notion that whoever reboots Sonic the Hedgehog needs to pick whether the likes of Knuckles or Blaze or Silver are supposed to be tied to specific areas and plot points or if they're part of Sonic's posse.

Make Knuckles a nomad leftover of the declined Echidnas if he's going to be following Sonic around when the Master Emerald isn't being threatened. Make Blaze a princess of a distant but still in the same world kingdom.

5 hours ago, Almar said:

Looking back, I back the notion that whoever reboots Sonic the Hedgehog needs to pick whether the likes of Knuckles or Blaze or Silver are supposed to be tied to specific areas and plot points or if they're part of Sonic's posse.

Make Knuckles a nomad leftover of the declined Echidnas if he's going to be following Sonic around when the Master Emerald isn't being threatened. Make Blaze a princess of a distant but still in the same world kingdom.

I actually agree with this. 

Shadow while being attached to shit, is attached to shit that doesn't really restrict his character. You can bring in the alien stuff whenever you want, and shadow could leave gun...whenever he wanted. Or you could create an easy plot reason , its not that hard .

I have always felt bad that blaze , knuckles and silver never really had such freedom, so the plot has to either take place on their terms, usually come up with some half asses reason why they are there, or ignore their story entirely just to include them

I agree with blaze being from some distant land, and maybe silver being more of  a time cop. As for knuckles, I suggest the nuclear options

I had to reboot the series, there would be no chaos emeralds. I don't think super sonic is worth it, I think removing chaos emeralds adds net benefits to every aspect of the series it would allow knuckles to roam , and his whole thing could be about him an his ancient culture and not the master emerald. It would allow characters to show thier stuff and actually come up with real solutions to the problems presented to them. And it would remove super forms, which I think are bad. I don't think transformations are bad, just the super forms. Because they aren't awarded through training or anything like a good super form, its just some shit you get by being the right species, and right gender. Instead giving everyone their own power up abilities of varying strengths and bulstrering the roster you have instead just having this conflict ending power up it would take actual team work and skill to solve the problem. And give characters who have various abilities, their chaos abilities just normal and somewhat powered down versions in some cases. i mean shadow has basically had this happen to him already, and I think it would benfnit everyone else if they started focusing on what the characters could do individually. Its why on the surface, I wanted to like sonic boom, it just...failed at everything I said

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

And no im not counting 06 as a reboot since it erased itself. But honestly its time. Its time to reboot the entire series and change how some of the characters are and how they meet. 

There is probably going to be a Sonic game in 2019. Name it Sonic The Hedgehog to allow people to know its a reboot. Introduce characters one by one ranging by importance to the series. They could change interactions. Loke instead of tais Sonic might say Miles.  Knuckles may chuckle. Amy doesnt obsess over Sonic, etc.

A reboot may be the only thing to save this series. They have to go back to what works. And the best thing they can do is reset the Story of Sonic the hedgehog and keeping Continuity along the way(Traveler's Tales kept better continuity than Sonic Team themselves) 

No it doesn’t.

A reboot won’t do shit except alienating the series and it’s fans.

The only way to fix the continuity is the team to pull themselves together and stop messing with their canon such as the two worlds bs.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I counted correctly Sonic already had two or even three reboots. I think their are already in some sort of a semi-reboot.  Because now that Classic Sonic is his own character and no longer the younger version of Sonic they technically have to tell a brand new backstory for the whole modern cast.

There is no guarantee that a reboot will be better than what has come before.

Rebooting the series will destroy its world - but it cannot destroy the memory of bad games, and it cannot destroy Sonic Team's lack of talent.  In other words, your plan is to throw the baby out with half the bathwater, and hope the remaining filthy bathwater will spontaneously generate a new baby out of nothing.

Added to which, the series has already been effectively and possibly literally rebooted multiple times.  It didn't work.

• Thumbs Up 1

What was the last time they tried a reboot?

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Oh right, the game that killed the franchise.

What was the last time they tried to make a new universe?

320px-Sonic_Boom_Rise_of_Lyric-title.jpg

Definetly not a good idea.

Alienate more fans with another branch of Sonic, sowing more division across the brand and its community?

Great idea!

Maybe instead of wasting time and resources on pointless rebooting and rebranding, they should use that stuff on making better games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That's what people say after literally every new Sonic game comes out.

The only thing a reboot would change is the story, the story isn't the main problem with Sonic games, it's the GAMEPLAY. That's something no amount of reboots can fix until Sonic Team gets their shit together.

Also, it's not like story in Sonic games matters anyway.

14 minutes ago, Sega of Japan said:

A reboot may be the only thing to save this series. They have to go back to what works. And the best thing they can do is reset the Story of Sonic the hedgehog and keeping Continuity along the way(Traveler's Tales kept better continuity than Sonic Team themselves) 

No, the best thing they can do at at this point is make good games on a consistent basis.

In reality, most people don't really care about the franchise's weak sense of continuity. The general public doesn't pick up Sonic games for "the story of Sonic the Hedgehog", they pick them up if they look fun to play. Rebooting the franchise just so they can establish stronger narrative elements isn't going to fix much of anything in Sonic's case.

The dodo birds in dodo land from that episode of the Looney Tunes where Porky Pig is trying to find the dodo I could trust to handle a reboot better than whoever's making all the weird decisions at Sonic Team. You know, at least they'd feel more like a cohesive unit. Every time one branch of the company does something, the other reacts with "The fuck are you doing? NO!" but they let it happen anyway and then vice-versa. 

The idea that past events and past stories could be lost doesn't sit well with me but the idea that they could be re-written by someone who gives a damn intrigues me at the very least. It's not happening though. At least not in a way that'll actually benefit us.