Awoo.

Sonic Forces Reviews Thread

Apollo Chungus

I'll be going now guys, I'm not some incredible Sonic fan who knows everything about the series, so I won't fit around here.

But I can say the game failed miserably in attracting its target audience. I was actually interested in getting this game, it was hitting all the Adventure nostalgia hits and I really wanted to see Chaos again. Well, yeah... But I really do feel the game was aimed at lapsed fans like myself, trying to get us back in. And well, it failed. We aren't just suckered in by pretty spectacles.

I haven't bought the game either, seen some videos and it looks like complete shit. I actually feel really embarrassed for defending it so badly in front of you guys. 

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Indeed....until they get on peoples cases for NOT liking the game. IE. The Sonic Forces Defense Squad. The S.F.D.S. Those who basically attacked anyone who pointed out flaws of the game. Seriously this is Rise of Lyric all over again in preception, release, and reception.

That has as little to do with people liking the game then if one were to bring up the opposing hate squadron that refused to see any good and will chastise those who do find enjoyment with the game, in regards to negative reports from people who played the game.  

By all means,  call those people out when they do so and it's relevant,  but don't try to use it as a cheap means to denounce positivity towards the game in general. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, SaberX said:

guys, the game still wip"(LOL?)

Well, to be honest, he technically wasn't lying, in fact the game is still a WIP at this very moment since they have to patch a crapload of things, at least on the PC port...the wonders of modern gaming.

3 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

That has as little to do with people liking the game then if one were to bring up the opposing hate squadron that refused to see any good and will chastise those who do find enjoyment with the game.  By all means,  call those people out when they do so,  but don't try to use it as a cheap means to denounce positivity towards the game in general. 

I'm not. It's just those people are far louder than those who like the game and respect others who don't. If ya went through the Rise of Lyric train, you'd probably recognize the same arguments from there as well as result are pretty much happening again.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Extremely common. Some as far as death threats.

-"The game isn't out yet you can't judge."

-"You've only seen a couple trailers you can't judge."

-"You only played the E3 build you can't judge."

-"You only played the demo you can't judge."

-"The game will be patched from the early releases you can't Judge."

That's just a few examples spouted all the time. Just like ROL. It's literally the same thing again with how the defenders went on about it. Seriously rather than the "Sonic Cycle", there should be a Sonic "Fan" Cycle to show just the types of arguments and comments you will see. Because we just went in a time loop back to 2014 where it played out exactly the same.

The new defense is that critics are just opinions and don't really matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Razule said:

The new defense is that critics are just opinions and don't really matter.

I think it's more "All critics are biased and hate Sonic so it doesn't matter."

*Looks at Sonic Mania and how well it did*

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I think it's more "All critics are biased and hate Sonic so it doesn't matter."

*Looks at Sonic Mania and how well it did*

"All critics are biased and hate Modern Sonic so it doesn't matter, now let us plug our ears shut and enjoy the game, and pretend they have no impact on anything"

I mean, liking the game is fine, I guess even thinking the game is fantastic is fine! But you can't really just "ignore" the critics unless you don't care about how Sonic is recieved by people at all

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyans said:

Can confirm that this game is definitely deserving of the 5/10 scores it is getting. 

What is so wrong with it exactly?

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

"All critics are biased and hate Modern Sonic so it doesn't matter, now let us plug our ears shut and enjoy the game, and pretend they have no impact on anything"

I mean, liking the game is fine, I guess even thinking the game is fantastic is fine! But you can't really just "ignore" the critics unless you don't care about how Sonic is recieved by people at all

Indeed. I enjoyed Spider-Man 3 the movie and the game. And both are considered pieces of crap by critics. I don't really care nor will I defend it.

I started playing about 2 hours ago and honestly, it’s ok, not terrible but nothing special. I can understand why it will be getting scores of 4/5/6 out of 10. Some of gameplay elements are just not right and feel a bit off. Full review to come once completed, but so far, I sadly thought it would be an meh game and it’s proving to be correct.

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

What is so wrong with it exactly?

I'd say the better question is what isn't wrong with it. To put it simply, the physics are wonky, the controls are janky, and the level design is bad.

• Thumbs Up 8

Three bad reviews.

One more and the Switch version's Metacritic score will go online. 

Since review copies weren't sent out, I expect to see reviews gradually creep up on us over the next week or so.

I also expect most of them to be pretty negative.

• Thumbs Up 4

Given the surprisingly positive fan reception from the game, I'm definitely expecting somecallmejohnny to be decent-positive towards it. Most people seem to compare it more to colors than lost world. 

At least the drip feed of scores and impressions will give us more time to discuss how much reviews don't really matter

Just now, JosepHenry said:

About that....

I got a glimpse at Ted's (Johnny's friend from BrainScratchComms) stream of Forces.....

And Johnny said that his review will be a salt overdose, and Heroes is better. And he doesn't like Heroes at all.

OOF.

This is gonna be awesome

• Promotion 1

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

About that....

I got a glimpse at Ted's (Johnny's friend from BrainScratchComms) stream of Forces.....

And Johnny said that his review will be a salt overdose, and Heroes is better. And he doesn't like Heroes at all.

OOF.

....fuck dude

1 minute ago, JosepHenry said:

About that....

OOF.

He likes Heroes or at least really wanted to like it, but the biggest problem was the control was just not good enough for him. Too slippery, jittery, and easy to careen off the edge.

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

He likes Heroes or at least really wanted to like it, but the biggest problem was the control was just not good enough for him. Too slippery, jittery, and easy to careen off the edge.

Johnny isn't THAT big of a modern fan in general.

2 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Exactly. Just because he gives them a lot of attention doesn't mean he loves them. He even said at the beginning of his first Sonic marathon that the Genesis games are much better and more worth your time. There just isn't as much to say about them, great as they are. 

5 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

He liked Gens a lot and puts it as one of his favorite sonic games, and recommends it a lot along with the classics 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

11 hours ago, Mayor D said:

You know how when Sega didn't send out review codes because they feared bad reviews.

Well now they have a daily drip feed of mediocrity instead of one sudden shock to get it over with.

I know what I think looks worse.

At the end of the day though, the game will still be bought and sales will still be had so it's probably really not going to change much.

I did find it kinda intriguing to see TSS review this with a SCORE at the end... I thought you guys just summarised your points rather than follow the ratings train? What changed your minds for this one? Or have I missed something and you have been doing it for a while?

Personally, I'm still holding out to play it in full. Reviews don't really indicate a games true quality but allow the reader into their educated perception and opinion which is fine - but one man's trash could be another mans treasure so it's all down to the player at the end of the day really - at least that's my last real pithy and pathetic defence line anyway for this Sonic Forces now haha! To be honest I'll give SEGA my money for this just because I have every other time, and at least if I expect mediocracy (despite actually honestly enjoying the EGX demo play-through) then I can't go too far wrong with the turnout of expectations to reality.

In that sense it's quite ironic that Sonic Team unintentionally have the The Phantom Ruby in this game almost held as a metaphor for their own creation - The Illusion of a great-looking game masking an underdeveloped one. 

Buuuut, probably I'll just end up having a good time anyway. I always seem too with these things.

5 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Exactly. Just because he gives them a lot of attention doesn't mean he loves them. He even said at the beginning of his first Sonic marathon that the Genesis games are much better and more worth your time. There just isn't as much to say about them, great as they are. 

I don't really watch his Sonic videos in general. Even when he does the ones he loves, he doesn't say anything interesting I haven't heard before(I'm a little bit picky when it comes to reviewers lol). Same with Kingdom Hearts. 

I love his more obscure game reviews though...Those are highly entertaining.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

He liked Gens a lot and puts it as one of his favorite sonic games, and recommends it a lot along with the classics 

Yeah, Johnny also loves both designs of Sonic, Blaze is his favorite character, and he likes Colors, Generations and Adventure just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1