Awoo.

Do you like Uekawa style ?

Fox Gungrave

Despite SA style being the art style I'm best known for imitating, ironically I absolutly despise it. The SA1 and 2 art is gorgeous and despite many DeviantARTist's attempts at copying the SA style its actually really complex to pull it off properly. Theres a reason why nowadays we're stuck with basic model sheet poses using the style though, it is nigh impossible to apply the style to anything but the characters themselves. Remember that Halowe'en skin we had last year? I drew the art for it and it was an absolute bitch to get it to look as good as it did, I had to make compromises at every possible oppurtunity simply because the SA style doesn't suit inanimate objects and scenery. Plain cel shaded artwork works fine when used on things other than characters but because of the soft shading and thick outlines required to make SA style what it is its really difficult to produce anything but a typical model sheet pose. I think the only time we've ever seen SA styled scenery is the island on the SRA boxart and even then compromises have been made. tl;dr: I like Uekawa's drawing style but his colouring style prevents him from doing anything good with his talent.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• KururuSouchou

• lounge

• Nepenthe

Top Posters In This Topic

If it weren't for the SA1 artwork, I wouldn't dislike Uekawa's art nearly as much as I do. At the time of SA1's release, the promo art was a very big turn-off for me. I didn't like the stylistic, impossible poses, and Sonic's face looked incredibly frightening to me.

I'll always associate Yuji Uekawa as the man who transformed Sonic the Hedgehog into an object of horror.