Awoo.

Sonic Forces SPOILER Thread

Ellipsis-Ultima

Just now, Sean said:

I don't know if I'd say they ever "put it back up" so much as "re-released it digitally," actually. Unless my memory is mistaken, neither Sonic 2006 or Unleashed were available digitally during their initial releases.

Either way, it being re-released at all in any form while 06 remains ignored in the dust is indicative of them recognising Unleashed has seen a bit of a 180 in terms of its reception recently.

15 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Either way, it being re-released at all in any form while 06 remains ignored in the dust is indicative of them recognising Unleashed has seen a bit of a 180 in terms of its reception recently.

To be fair they also ported LW to PC a few years after it came out, despite it's generally negative / middle-of-the-road reception among fans. I think it's more that ShTH and '06 are in a special little group I like to call "Literally Nobody Cares About These Ones."

Spoiler

I'm...err, partially joking; rereleases of those games would actually be a good thing imo, if only for archival purposes. Especially Shadow's game since it's pre-360/PS3/Wii era.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

So why did he expect shadow to recognize him upon initial meeting after that first confrontation? 

He didn't seem surprised at all that Shadow didn't recognize him, tho' he was definitely amused.

(That reminds me, I'm curious if anyone'll translate the World Map dialogue too at some point.)

And why does his theme say "just take a look at my face?" :/

That line follows "I've been up against better," likely referring to the scar on his face.

4 minutes ago, Celestia said:

To be fair they also ported LW to PC a few years after it came out, despite it's generally negative / middle-of-the-road reception among fans. I think it's more that ShTH and '06 are in a special little group I like to call "Literally Nobody Cares About These Ones."

Reveal hidden contents

I'm...err, partially joking; rereleases of those games would actually be a good thing imo, if only for archival purposes. Especially Shadow's game since it's pre-360/PS3/Wii era.

He didn't seem surprised at all that Shadow didn't recognize him, tho' he was definitely amused.

(That reminds me, I'm curious if anyone'll translate the World Map dialogue too at some point.)

That line follows "I've been up against better," likely referring to the scar on his face.

But like, why do we never see his face then if it's referring to his scar that we never see?

41 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Would have been a nice reference to Unleashed yet I have seen nothing indicating Unleashed's continuity in either games after it(it's been de-listed from what I understand).

I mean... the Egg Dragoon is in the game and the dialogue clearly implies that it was rebuilt rather than remade, that's pretty continuity-y.  As for Eggmanland itself, it's a concept that has had a wider scope than Unleashed anyway - it was definitely mentioned in both Adventure 1 and Zero Gravity as a thing he was working towards.

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

I mean... the Egg Dragoon is in the game, that's pretty continuity-y.  As for Eggmanland itself, it's a concept that has had a wider scope than Unleashed anyway - it was definitely mentioned in both Adventure 1 and Zero Gravity as a thing he was working towards.

Ehhh....Egg Dragoon is just another one of his creations. Could appear anywhere but I see what you mean..

I guess since Eggmanland was already made before in Unleashed I would think he would at least have had to made a past tense reference to his failed Eggmanland or something..

46 minutes ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Would have been a nice reference to Unleashed yet I have seen nothing indicating Unleashed's continuity in either games after it(it's been de-listed from what I understand).

Didn't the comic show a brief snippet of Unleashed Eggmanland?

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

But like, why do we never see his face then if it's referring to his scar that we never see?

Cuz...it's still part of his character...? And it's a theme song about the character? It's even alluded to with his mask--the eye with the scar is all blacked out.

If this is about how he doesn't get unmasked in-game then yeah, that's kind of weird, I kinda chalk it up to how he disappeared in general at the end there which really sucks. But beyond that I don't see an issue here.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Didn't the comic show a brief snippet of Unleashed Eggmanland?

The comic spent three years re-telling Unleashed.

Er... wait, we're talking about the tie-in comics. nvm [/notoverarchie]

Though I don't think Unleashed is somehow untouchable territory or is considered "less canon" just because it was delisted. By the time SEGA started that little campaign, the game was already out the door and sold what it was going to sell anyway. Like every other game before it.

I mean I don't know what else I'd be referring to when I say "why do we never see his face". It just further makes him underwhelming that throughout his entire existence within the game, outside the comic, we never see him under the mask, and that line just comes off even more patronizing because of it

4 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

The comic spent three years re-telling Unleashed.

Er... wait, we're talking about the tie-in comics. nvm

Yeah the tie in Forces comic lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

8 hours ago, Jar Jar Analysis 1138 said:

Would have been a nice reference to Unleashed yet I have seen nothing indicating Unleashed's continuity in either games after it

I haven't seen anything straight up indicating that it wasn't in the same continuity as any of the games following it, outside of the planet's geography being different, I guess.

Plus, the button Eggman uses in Unleashed to activate his "Split the Planet Apart"-inator is still present in Forces.

Spoiler

Unleashed:

zJnBAkZ.png     uBlLWFT.png

Forces:

A3Ab7rf.png

I know some probably just chalk this up to the eggmobile being a simple asset re-use, but it seems like such a small detail that I'm sure Sonic Team could have just removed it if they wanted to. It's not like it ever serves any kind of purpose outside of Unleashed's opening segment anyway.

• Chuckle 1

38 minutes ago, Clewis said:

I haven't seen anything straight up indicating that it wasn't in the same continuity as any of the games preceding it, outside of the planet's geography being different, I guess.

Plus, the button Eggman uses in Unleashed to activate his "Split the Planet Apart"-inator is still present in Forces.

Hide contents

Unleashed:

Forces:

A3Ab7rf.png

I know some probably just chalk this up to the eggmobile being a simple asset re-use, but it seems like such a small detail that I'm sure Sonic Team could have just removed it if they wanted to. It's not like it ever serves any kind of purpose outside of Unleashed's opening segment anyway.

At any time, eggman could've just split the world apart again. 

:D

1 hour ago, Clewis said:

I haven't seen anything straight up indicating that it wasn't in the same continuity as any of the games preceding it, outside of the planet's geography being different, I guess.

Hide contents

Unleashed:

Forces:

A3Ab7rf.png

It could just be Eggman's all-in-one button that he programs to do specific things for specific situations. You know, one day he uses it to call in the janitor bot and the next day he uses it to fire the not Death Star laser at the planet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why is the Rookie a "rookie"? Like.. did they climb their way up in the ranks to be recognized by the Main Recurring Cast, or did Knuckles really recruit some rando off the streets?

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

It could just be Eggman's all-in-one button that he programs to do specific things for specific situations. You know, one day he uses it to call in the janitor bot and the next day he uses it to fire the not Death Star laser at the planet.

Now I’m imagining him pushing the button expecting a janitor bot to come in, only to accidentally fire the death laser on his position, destroying everything in the process and leaving him covered in soot and a badly frazzled mustache.

6 hours ago, Clewis said:

Hide contents

Unleashed:

Forces:

A3Ab7rf.png

That button's been in every 3D game since Unleashed. In Colours, Eggman reaches for it in the Nega Wisp Armour fight when you Homing Attack your way up to its head, but I forget what it actually does.

I don't think it's used at all in Generations, but it is there.

KKrrFnG.png

Same for Lost World.

shiciQH.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

The button was also used in one of Colours' cutscenes, the one where he tries to use the brainwashing laser on Sonic.

6fd11832cd64e6d0b62e3fad18309453.png

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Celestia said:

The button was also used in one of Colours' cutscenes, the one where he tries to use the brainwashing laser on Sonic.

6fd11832cd64e6d0b62e3fad18309453.png

That reminds me, this is the first Kishimoto game to not set up a scenario of Tails turning evil only to cop out right before he can fight Sonic because they didn't want to program it.

I almost want to give the team some credit. Almost.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean that's not really Kishimoto's fault. Colors was written by Yasushi Otake, and Lost World was Pontac and Graff influencing the story itself while Harumasa Nakajima did...something, according to wikipedia. To my knowledge it's just a coincidence that those two games share that trait, and are the exception, rather than the rule. And either way Secret Rings and Black Knight had none of this kind of stuff in them anyway (which he was the lead programmer for rather than the director but you see my point). It's not like Nakamura wrote any of this stuff, anyway.

5 hours ago, Razule said:

Why is the Rookie a "rookie"? Like.. did they climb their way up in the ranks to be recognized by the Main Recurring Cast, or did Knuckles really recruit some rando off the streets?

They're not a rando, Knuckles is aware of and mentions that they survived an encounter with Infinite, which of course we see in flashback form a few cut-scenes later.

...It's one of those super vague moments though where I felt the original cut-scene didn't imply Infinite KILLED the other people present, but Knuckles' dialogue does, so.

21 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

I mean that's not really Kishimoto's fault. Colors was written by Yasushi Otake, and Lost World was Pontac and Graff influencing the story itself while Harumasa Nakajima did...something, according to wikipedia. To my knowledge it's just a coincidence that those two games share that trait, and are the exception, rather than the rule. And either way Secret Rings and Black Knight had none of this kind of stuff in them anyway (which he was the lead programmer for rather than the director but you see my point). It's not like Nakamura wrote any of this stuff, anyway.

While Kishimoto didn’t pen the scripts himself, I think that pinning everything related to the narrative on the writers alone isn’t really reflective of collaborative and creative environments. Just as in film, the director likely has a big hand with the progression, direction and overall narrative of a work.

5 hours ago, JezMM said:

They're not a rando, Knuckles is aware of and mentions that they survived an encounter with Infinite, which of course we see in flashback form a few cut-scenes later.

...It's one of those super vague moments though where I felt the original cut-scene didn't imply Infinite KILLED the other people present, but Knuckles' dialogue does, so.

Well.. unlike the English dub, Infinite literally tells them to "die". Still kinda surprised they actually showed a villain murder people on-screen. Guess it's okay as long as they're not human

7 hours ago, A_W said:

That button's been in every 3D game since Unleashed. In Colours, Eggman reaches for it in the Nega Wisp Armour fight when you Homing Attack your way up to its head, but I forget what it actually does.

I don't think it's used at all in Generations, but it is there.

KKrrFnG.png

Same for Lost World.

shiciQH.jpg

I wonder if his Dreamcast is still in it..

18 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I think the better case for Unleashed’s continuity is the continued presence of Orbot.

And the general current look of Sonic started in Unleashed.