Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

15 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

It’s essentially Eggman’s personal internet, a carryover from Archie transferred here to IDW. It’s never been a “Sonic” equivalent, but one strictly belonging and used by Eggman and his affiliates.

Sonic and friends use something completely different depending on the continuity—if they were using the Eggnet for daily life, then Eggman would be the world’s greatest moron letting his enemies easy access to his stuff.

That's what I thought, but the Deadly Six's mention of the Eggnet being in chaos after the zombot outbreak seemed to imply that it was used by normal society, and we don't see any internet-related stuff outside of the Eggnet.

1 minute ago, CertifiedNobody said:

That's what I thought, but the Deadly Six's mention of the Eggnet being in chaos after the zombot outbreak seemed to imply that it was used by normal society, and we don't see any internet-related stuff outside of the Eggnet.

Probably because Eggman didn’t have many people watching his network in IDW like he also did back in Archie.

32 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Keeping in mind that the Zeti live up on the Lost Hex and have access to it because Eggman left a lot of his shit up there when Sonic borrowed his exhaust hose.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Razule said:

If Eggman controlled his world's version of the Internet, he would've already won.

It was less "he controls the internet" and more "he invented internet"

5 hours ago, Razule said:

If Eggman controlled his world's version of the Internet, he would've already won.

Actually thinking about that, yeah, I take back what I said about him being a moron. He’d be an even GREATER genius.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggnet made much more sense in Archie, were Eggman had fleshing army rather than only robots with like maybe few hired help. Still, I'm assuming Eggnet isn't exactly like our internet, it's more of database of all his project, facebook-like thing for reports, perhaps chatroom and mail. I don't thing anyone has a blog with cooking recipes there.

And only his troops have access to it. Or someone who hacks into one of his bases, which is what Zeti did.

Even if it was opened to general public, no one would use it because it's EGGnet. It's like using version of internet that is filled with propaganda lies, spyware or computer viruses... you know, more than usually.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Eggnet made much more sense in Archie, were Eggman had fleshing army rather than only robots with like maybe few hired help. Still, I'm assuming Eggnet isn't exactly like our internet, it's more of database of all his project, facebook-like thing for reports, perhaps chatroom and mail. I don't thing anyone has a blog with cooking recipes there.

And only his troops have access to it. Or someone who hacks into one of his bases, which is what Zeti did.

Even if it was opened to general public, no one would use it because it's EGGnet. It's like using version of internet that is filled with propaganda lies, spyware or computer viruses... you know, more than usually.

You give people too much credit. It would actually be bizarre if it wasn't used.

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

You give people too much credit. It would actually be bizarre if it wasn't used.

I'm sure there are some idiots, but generally speaking Mobius is a little more idyllic than our Earth. And generally less computer-dependant, meaning that dumbest people probably don't own even computer. So that leaves smart people, but fascinated by Eggman, like Starline.

Plus, again, Eggnet is not internet. There is no youbute with funny video or social media or adult sites. Eggman would not allow people to use his creation for fun.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm sure there are some idiots, but generally speaking Mobius is a little more idyllic than our Earth. And generally less computer-dependant, meaning that dumbest people probably don't own even computer. So that leaves smart people, but fascinated by Eggman, like Starline.

Plus, again, Eggnet is not internet. There is no youbute with funny video or social media or adult sites. Eggman would not allow people to use his creation for fun.

A lot of that is headcanon, the comic really hasn't given us much information on how Sonic's world works at all even the brief snippet from Master Zik about it being a peaceloving world is not meant to be taken completely.

This is why I can't wait for the comic to have all the "human world" stuff available so it can move to a more defined world and never look back.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

A lot of that is headcanon, the comic really hasn't given us much information on how Sonic's world works at all even the brief snippet from Master Zik about it being a peaceloving world is not meant to be taken completely.

This is why I can't wait for the comic to have all the "human world" stuff available so it can move to a more defined world and never look back.

Um, yes? That's what I'm saying." That my theory is X and those are my arguments why I think it makes sense."

And I don't see how humans can be any more interesting. I suppose GUN creates this feel of grey morality, but even that's a stretch.

3 hours ago, Slashy said:

Pretty sure that exchange was being sincere about status quo: Sonic's World is consistently portrayed as a relatively peaceful, if fantastically wonderous place to live in when Eggman isn't trying to conquer and exploit a given part of it. And since the Deadly Six, particularly it's leadership, are accustomed to violence and destruction, they can't find that odd upon seeing it for themselves instead of just assuming Eggman is the height of the norm.

Ian's talked about the world being a mostly peaceful place after One World became canon, if I recall correctly. Or maybe that only applies to the animal world. In the games, there's just outside forces and Eggman causing conflict.

Of course, even if there were wars between countries and the human civilizations are a lot like the real-world, we wouldn't hear about it.

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

Of course, even if there were wars between countries and the human civilizations are a lot like the real-world, we wouldn't hear about it.

Sega mandates not allowing world building?

Also if the world is so idealistic how do characters like Clutch exist?

Why does GUN exist if there's no conflict outside of Eggman? They'd need a reason to justify their existence in the decades prior to the Eggman Empire's creation.

1 hour ago, Slashy said:

Sometimes it isn't clear what's a mandate and Ian not wanting to step on SEGA's toes if they establish something different later. If the conflicts are like the real world, then they're either too heavy or we can just assume. GUN exists, so they must be doing something when aliens aren't attacking. Maybe it's like the Chaotix and money, war just doesn't exist unless they're around.

Some people are jerks, most people aren't. People like Clutch simply get beaten up in the name of peace.

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Why does GUN exist if there's no conflict outside of Eggman? They'd need a reason to justify their existence in the decades prior to the Eggman Empire's creation.

It's not necessarily true that there's no conflict at all on the humans' side, but it's never been established before.

All we know about the human society is the United Federation is a thing, GUN is an international military, and there are countries. If there's non-Eggman organizations GUN fights (because they sure aren't doing anything against him), they must not be on Sonic's radar.

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I do not envy the sucker that would have the task of making all this random stuff that was literally just meant to fit some cool Hollywood movie aesthetic that doesn't make any sense in the wider context of things cohesive 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Endy said:

I do not envy the sucker that would have the task of making all this random stuff that was literally just meant to fit some cool Hollywood movie aesthetic that doesn't make any sense in the wider context of things cohesive 

GUN made total sense in the universe until they suggested that Eggman was the only major evil in the world.

5 hours ago, Slashy said:

World building is allowed to an extent, as long as it doesn't overly bog things down.

Clutch is just indulging in a hobby after retiring, albeit in a less than clean way. He's not wrecking streets or threatening the world.

3 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

There probably is some, it's just that we likely won't get to here about it anymore.

16 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

GUN made total sense in the universe until they suggested that Eggman was the only major evil in the world.

You still need a military force ready to go just in case.

28 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

GUN made total sense in the universe until they suggested that Eggman was the only major ⁷evil in the world.

That's always been in the case in the games, it was just never actually talked about. Even if he's the biggest evil, it doesn't mean that there isn't minor stuff that we don't hear about. 

47 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's always been in the case in the games, it was just never actually talked about. Even if he's the biggest evil, it doesn't mean that there isn't minor stuff that we don't hear about. 

GUN went up against the Black Arms, so we know they are ready to fight threats that aren't Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Slashy said:

GUN went up against the Black Arms, so we know they are ready to fight threats that aren't Eggman.

Could even say the reason there aren't any threats besides Eggman is because they take care of them all. Egghead's just built differently.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

GUN and the government's existence raises too many questions and frankly I don't want any of them

does Sonic world have small terrorist organizations dedicated to bringing down the government? are there warring nations? I do not care

• Thumbs Up 2