Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, bingboomer said:

nah. i prefer espio

We did that in Rivals 2, Champions, and here the Metal Virus Saga though. And I was specifically listing heroes who haven't gotten any yet.

7 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I would love for the Chaotix to have their own arcs!  It would be great to see more of them as a team rather than just showing up in the comics when they are needed.

Unfortunately, we don't have a Universe to play around in anymore and Sonic's evidently a must in this comics.

A bit late to chime in, just thinking about how *spoilers for most recent issue 39*

Spoiler

Sonic, Tails, and Amy are currently stuck in a simulation. Maybe this is the comic team exploring ideas similar to that of Rangers, which apparently has cyberspace levels?

3 hours ago, charmsb said:

A bit late to chime in, just thinking about how *spoilers for most recent issue 39*

Hide contents

Sonic, Tails, and Amy are currently stuck in a simulation. Maybe this is the comic team exploring ideas similar to that of Rangers, which apparently has cyberspace levels?

Everyone who talks about IDW adapting Rangers take a chill pill.

We don't know anything for sure about that game.  We have no reason to believe IDW makes any sneaky adaptations.

Besides, what would be a point? Clearly Sega would want them to make adaptation closer to the release date and very loudly, so everyone knows about cool new game they must buy.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Besides, what would be a point? Clearly Sega would want them to make adaptation closer to the release date and very loudly, so everyone knows about cool new game they must buy.

Nothing wrong with setting things up ahead of time so they can do the more obvious Go Buy The Game stuff later.

I'm leaning towards that not being the case, a kinda funny coincidence, but I could see them letting Ian know about plans ahead of time--especially considering this game was likely delayed due to the pandemic. They might've told him who knows how long ago expecting to either be all in on marketing the game by now for example.

7 hours ago, Celestia said:

Nothing wrong with setting things up ahead of time so they can do the more obvious Go Buy The Game stuff later.

I'm leaning towards that not being the case, a kinda funny coincidence, but I could see them letting Ian know about plans ahead of time--especially considering this game was likely delayed due to the pandemic. They might've told him who knows how long ago expecting to either be all in on marketing the game by now for example.

The TSR one-shot released the year before the game came out since it was supposed to line up with its original release but the game was delayed (albeit months before the comic would even release but I assume comic publishers have strict timetables with Diamond, et. al to deal with). It's not totally out there Sega sent them early materials with the intention of the storyline to coincide with the marketing push before COVID threw everything out the window..

It is kind of funny given how not open they were with Archie until the latter finally just threw up their hands and shunted adaptations off to non-canon preview stories they'd figure out how to tie in later (Rush Adventure is a pretty notable one from Ian's tenure, and of course Unleashed but different circumstances).

My personal expectation is IDW will probably just do an overpriced one-shot and then somehow the events of the game will line up and be referred to later though.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Damn, straight up trying to burn them alive.

One consistent thing across all games and into the IDW comic is that Eggman is officially done fucking around. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Razule said:

Damn, straight up trying to burn them alive.

Reminds me of the time when Eggman tried to bomb Sonic and Tails in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.  Things are heating up now!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:46 PM, Dejimon11 said:

Previews are up 

I don't know why, but I thought they were up against a red Battle Fortress courtesy of the BBA

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some more Issue 40 previews.  Guess who's joined the party?

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

"Yay..."

When is this story gonna be finished?

• Thumbs Up 1

It really is the most boring arc of the run so far. I'm so ready and pumped for the next one and the Classic one-off.

• Thumbs Up 1

These damn delays keep pushing stories that aren't supposed to last this long to what feels like an eternity.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yea, I think the delays are compounding the pacing a bit.

This arc started in February and is only ending now.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Yea, I think the delays are compounding the pacing a bit.

This arc started in February and is only ending now.

Holy flurp, are you serious?

If IDW still can't get their shit together when it comes to their printing, then I'd just prefer we do a bunch of one/two shot stories and keep certain overarching threads in the background.

We could have gotten this whole tower story done in two issues and addressed the details about Belle over four seperate mini-arcs. That's basically the main thing threading this and the Chao races arc together, that Belle mystery. But these bloody delays just make those low stakes narratives last waay too long.

At least the Zombot arc had stuff happening albeit in a desperate and monotonous way when coincided with the delays. But for these last two arcs?

I'm afraid a lot of the stuff in these two arcs would be worth their own one-shot issues in Archie #1-50, or one of those B-stories after the main one was done.

40 minutes ago, VisionaryofSUPER said:

But these bloody delays just make those low stakes narratives last waay too long.

Those same delays would make any narrative overstay its welcome. We shouldn't be factoring manufacturing issues into our perception of pacing, thats  something that is beyond the control of any of the writing staff.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Those same delays would make any narrative overstay its welcome. We shouldn't be factoring manufacturing issues into our perception of pacing, thats  something that is beyond the control of any of the writing staff.

It's hard not to. I actually think this arc, along with the previous ones are pretty well paced as is. Little space is wasted on pure filler I feel like, but the thing is for what these things are as far as low stakes arcs go it's just not compelling enough to hold on for this long. The threats aren't particularly noteworthy, and the mystery of Belle isn't especially hard to get either.

• Thumbs Up 3

By this point near half the issue's out already in previews which I imagine doesn't help anything.

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I agree that it's not fair to hold it against the staff, but it's still better to vocalize how it feels on the reader's end so hopefully IDW tightens things up in the future.

I still don't understand why IDW have so many delays with their comic books.  The other comic book companies don't have this problem (I think), so what's wrong with IDW?

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Behold. The Lemur. A creature of pure grace.

Anyway I'm personally of the mindset that I'd rather not judge the whole story off its individual issues and instead wait for it to be finished before I come to any full opinion. 

It's kinda funny seeing the over all difference between here and Twitter when it comes to Evan's arcs. Whenever I see people talk about these past couple arcs on Twitter it's usually praise and people just overallenjoying it. Whereas here most people are bored by the arc. Not saying either position is wrong just that it's interesting how vastly different these things can be.

I've not read it for myself because I can't really follow the comics so I kinda have to trade wait. 

10 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Behold. The Lemur. A creature of pure grace.

Anyway I'm personally of the mindset that I'd rather not judge the whole story off its individual issues and instead wait for it to be finished before I come to any full opinion. 

It's kinda funny seeing the over all difference between here and Twitter when it comes to Evan's arcs. Whenever I see people talk about these past couple arcs on Twitter it's usually praise and people just overallenjoying it. Whereas here most people are bored by the arc. Not saying either position is wrong just that it's interesting how vastly different these things can be.

I've not read it for myself because I can't really follow the comics so I kinda have to trade wait. 

I also do the same thing when it comes to the comics. I just wait for the story to come out in trade rather than pick up a single issue because delays can happen and I would rather read the story in its entirety than in pieces.  I also find it kind of strange that people on Twitter are actually praising this arc, while the people here are not enjoying it (not that I'm saying that it's bad that people have different opinions).

22 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I still don't understand why IDW have so many delays with their comic books.  The other comic book companies don't have this problem (I think), so what's wrong with IDW?

I've actually noticed more random delays and gaps than normal from the other books I follow. The pandemic is probably still creating complications for everyone.