Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Minor point, but shouldn't we be hearing news about the 2021 annual soon? I would of thought it would be coming out within a few months hopefully.

23 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Minor point, but shouldn't we be hearing news about the 2021 annual soon? I would of thought it would be coming out within a few months hopefully.

Knowing IDW it was delayed to 2022

• Chuckle 2

37 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Honestly we might not get one. IDW is weird about Annuals. TMNT has had like 3 one in 2012 one in 2014 and the most recent one in 2020.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

We have a solcit for IDW Sonic #41. Ian Flynn's returning as main writer.

Hide contents

spacer.png

It's a 4 issue arc called "Zeti Hunt".

The Deadly Six are still on the loose and attacking towns. Jewel the Beetle recruits Sonic’s friends the Chaotix to find and stop the Zeti, but Zavok of the Deadly Six is looking for his minions, too—he’s angrier than ever and wants to reunite. The Chaotix will have to act quickly to outsmart the Deadly Six!

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well that was short. Now I feel a bit bad for Evan. I was harsh on her first arc, but I still wanted to see more than 8 issues.

I was just talking about this. Guess it is about time and it might fit decently well as a break from Starline.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

They're both writing the book. The fact Ian was going to be doing an arc after her first two has been knownfor a while now.

He also mentioned this general plot point would be a part of Year 3, as opposed to this year's miniseries.

3 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I figured Evan's run as lead writer was only going to be for an arc or two. I liker her stories, but I'm always glad to see Ian back at the helm. Maybe it was just a temp thing, or maybe they'll be switching it up every once in a while. Either way I'm cool with.

Probably the latter, since they seemed to emphasize her role as headwriter going forward.

4 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:
  Hide contents

spacer.png

It's a 4 issue arc called "Zeti Hunt".

The Deadly Six are still on the loose and attacking towns. Jewel the Beetle recruits Sonic’s friends the Chaotix to find and stop the Zeti, but Zavok of the Deadly Six is looking for his minions, too—he’s angrier than ever and wants to reunite. The Chaotix will have to act quickly to outsmart the Deadly Six!

Spoiler

A Deadly Six arc? Interesting. I’m not a fan of Zavok but I think he’s at his best as a leader rather than an individual, so I’m looking forward to seeing how he’s handled in this arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it were any other group writing the Zetis, I don’t think many of us would be interested.

I’m glad Ian’s back at the helm, at any case.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
Not sure if I needed to, but spoilered just in case

I'm guessing that both Evan and Ian will both be writing the book and taking turns at writing each arc.  If that's the case, then I will definitely be very interested in this series!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just give me Starline as the villain...hell I'd take the Skunk Bros as the villains....why do we have to keep coming back to the Deadly Shits. I do not understand the fascination of using these guys so much.

Mining 0 potential is still 0.

You know, rereading the solicit, I just realized something: this effectively a Chaotix side story as well as a truer Deadly Six one.

The more I think about it, the more peculiar this matchup is. I mean sure, this is basically one of the things the Deadly Six were good for--giving a team including less utilized characters a chance to shine--but the Chaotix specifically is pretty interesting since they're more oddball gumshoes with a few bizarre abilities under their belt. It really stretches the imagination for how in the world this can go.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Knowing IDW it was delayed to 2022

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly we might not get one. IDW is weird about Annuals. TMNT has had like 3 one in 2012 one in 2014 and the most recent one in 2020.

Well, that's a shame if that is the case. Hopefully Ian Flynn can maybe confirm that eventually on his podcast if it isn't happening this year or not. I know it sounds entitled but really, stuff like this just makes me think the sooner we get a second monthly book running alongside the main book, the better. Hopefully there's perhaps another mini-series down the line.

As for #41:

Eh, could be good. Always nice to see more Chaotix. But yeah, not much of a fan of the Zeti. Would kind of be alright if the end of this arc is just to send them all back to The Lost Hex for them never to be heard from again. But I'm sure Flynn can do some interesting stuff with it.

Just like with Silver back in the day, I'm trapped in the echoes of outcry for characters people don't like to go away. It only ever makes me want to see them show up more and more. Although, a part of me does find it a little sad that no matter who writes them some people are just never going to like them. 

Still though, the anime battles in the Metal Virus Arc with the Zeti was peak excitement for me so I'm happy about this. Obviously, hearing that the Chaotix are on the case also has me pumped. I can't wait for the epic match of the century, Charmy Vs. Zavok. Their battle will be legendary.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ian turned Silver, Amy, Cream, Omega etc from characters I didn't like or cared about for into some of my favorites so as someone who was already more sympathetic to the D6 then most I'm looking forward to what he does with them as the series goes on 

• Thumbs Up 1

The D6 were handled better toward the end of the Metal Virus saga because the story dictated they be dealt with as individuals and not as a collective. By nature, they each had some extra space to flush out their motivation and natures, which helped them show off the traits that make them unique. Big Zom was pretty par for the corse, but it was nice seeing Zeena subjugate the population for her petty desires, and Zor relish in the doomsday.

Since this new arc will focus on tracking them down, it will have to do more of the same, for at least the lead in. Since they are still separated, either Zavok or the Chaotix will be forced to deal with each of them one at a time, which is prime opportunity for developing these guys a bit.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still don't exactly care about the Deadly Six, but I did like what Bad Guys did with Zavok so I can see myself tolerating them if they're done well. 

But man, first impressions really are everything; the Zeti had such a lackluster and poor introduction that it's basically colored their perceptions in the entire fanbase. It really does feel like how Silver was (and still is to an extent) treated way back when 06 came out. Your first impression is important and it tends to stick with you.

Even if Silver is in a much better place now, he's still nowhere near on Shadow's level as he was in his debut outside of the Metal Virus climax, which I appreciated Ian doing for him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok so we're all adults so our views are skewed (though personally I don't hate the Deadly Six and think the extreme hate they get is kinda weird) but I often wonder what do kids think of the Zeti?

Like Sega wouldn't be pushing them so hard if there wasn't some call for them right?

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Ok so we're all adults so our views are skewed (though personally I don't hate the Deadly Six and think the extreme hate they get is kinda weird) but I often wonder what do kids think of the Zeti?

Like Sega wouldn't be pushing them so hard if there wasn't some call for them right?

I do wonder why SEGA is pushing the Deadly Six so hard, despite the negative feedback they got from the fans. You would think that SEGA wouldn't use those characters anymore if that was the case.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I think I said this before and I'll say it again: I don't think any perception goes into their continued inclusion.

This is most evident In how Zavok (and usually only Zabok) has been used for the last 8 years. The vast majority of games we've gotten since Lost World have been spinoffs, crossovers, or games rumored to have started as spin-offs and he has barely skipped the beat with appearing in them. Comparing him to the character who has the most similar situation further reveals how vapidly this has been pushed: whereas most of Silver's subsequent appearances have featured him in a major role or attempted to improve his image, Zavok has primarily been there to check something off a vague list and call it a day. Funnily enough, it feels like manuals and some side materials try do more with him than the actual games almost ever do(Patrick Seitz having some fun not withstanding).

While I'm sure there's a different reason for that and you could probably make a case for Forces as the outlier, he and his band are basically just another section of the cast they can tout out for stuff that "don't matter."

Now if you're talking about the comics, then that's a different story entirely--Mr.Flynn once named Zavok his favorite of the Zeti and has made a couple of motions towards doing more with the Deadly Six leading to where we are now

Personally I'm cool with Deadly Six (when Flynn writes them) BUT, I'm am a bit annoyed that they are back so quickly.

There is a thin line between creating cohesive word and Sonic Boom level of recycling.

And Between Deadly Six, Starline and Skunk Duo, we are really pushing on that line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of disappointing Ian Flynn is back, he tries to "fix" character writing like the fans and I like the Deadly Six the way they are now. 

5 hours ago, Kuzu said:

. It really does feel like how Silver was (and still is to an extent) treated way back when 06 came out. Your first impression is important and it tends to stick with you.

Even if Silver is in a much better place now, he's still nowhere near on Shadow's level as he was in his debut outside of the Metal Virus climax, which I appreciated Ian doing for him.

Wait, what do you mean by that?

49 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally I'm cool with Deadly Six (when Flynn writes them) BUT, I'm am a bit annoyed that they are back so quickly.

There is a thin line between creating cohesive word and Sonic Boom level of recycling.

And Between Deadly Six, Starline and Skunk Duo, we are really pushing on that line.

That's just a reflection of something the series has had for years now: there's only so many characters they can bring in, whether practically or legally, that there's just inherently gonna be recycling. Though that's just a matter of having a cast, arguably.

5 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Kind of disappointing Ian Flynn is back, he tries to "fix" character writing like the fans and I like the Deadly Six the way they are now. 

What did you think of them in previous appearances then?