Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I'm seriously hoping that the IDW book keeps the same style as the Post-Reboot. I know most people on here seem to hate that run but I seriously think that was the best the books ever been.

Even if they go new I still think Post-Reboot Archie is a good template for how to do it at IDW.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

27 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm seriously hoping that the IDW book keeps the same style as the Post-Reboot. I know most people on here seem to hate that run but I seriously think that was the best the books ever been.

Even if they go new I still think Post-Reboot Archie is a good template for how to do it at IDW.

Does Archie have a unique style/template? What specifically do you think is good enough to keep?

(I don't read much comics outside Archie's so I don't know)

8 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Does Archie have a unique style/template? What specifically do you think is good enough to keep?

(I don't read much comics outside Archie's so I don't know)

I just mean that I felt the Reboot was honestly the best way of doing a Sonic comic. It had a good mix of Action and humor and managed to keep the political and love triangle angle completely out of things. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I just mean that I felt the Reboot was honestly the best way of doing a Sonic comic. It had a good mix of Action and humor and managed to keep the political and love triangle angle completely out of things. 

Ah, I see.

I think anything would be better than that disaster. It had everything you should not do with Sonic. But I agree the current balance is was suited for Sonic. The people in IDW knows about the Archie series well, so I'm sure they would follow the similar formula. Even if not, if done properly they would probably end up with the same style. 

10 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It kept the love triangle out, but it did the political completely different.

All that interacting between Meropis, and Team Dark meeting with King Acorn along with the backstory between the Kingdom and the United Federation? Even Mordred Hood's (and various other Egg Bosses) motivation to side with the Eggman Empire. I could go on, but overall, if you don't think that stuff is political, then you have very little idea what even counts as politics because it's a lot more broad than just people talking and writing laws down.

The fact that there were nations that interacted with one another, either through violence like the Eggman Empire vs the world or the Kingdom of Acorn and the United Federation banding together, is politics in itself. You just never had a problem with it because it was flowing with everything else.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Arranos said:

So, been busy with stuff IRL.

I only remember IDW being the new producer of the Sonic comics.

Any news since then?

Unfortunately no.

Well, we have the name of the editor, Joe Hughes, and more info is probably coming  in NYCC. And that's all we know until now

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Arranos said:

So, been busy with stuff IRL.

I only remember IDW being the new producer of the Sonic comics.

Any news since then?

We won't know anything until October sadly. At least NYCC is early in the month.

Unlikely. Archie Boom struck when the iron was still hot, now the franchise is a bit on the tepid side. Sonic X was able to get away with it because the inertia from that series stuck around until the end of the decade. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

17 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Unlikely. Archie Boom struck when the iron was still hot, now the franchise is a bit on the tepid side. Sonic X was able to get away with it because the inertia from that series stuck around until the end of the decade. 

You've got a point. Probably at best it would get a one-shot comic.

Can't wait for the Charmy Bee Mini-Series that's totes definitely going to happen fer realz.

Instead except it being about his best friend dying, his entire kingdom being slaughtered off-screen, getting mental brain damage that resulted in regression and memory loss, being on the sidelines forever, and then losing his girlfriend who was the last surviving member of his homeland...it's about him solving playground detective cases where children go to him with mysteries about someone who stole their super ultra rare trading card. 

Or the super tasty Noire tale as old as time about which kid ACTUALLY stole from the cookie jar.

Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Can't wait for the Charmy Bee Mini-Series that's totes definitely going to happen fer realz.

Instead except it being about his best friend dying, his entire kingdom being slaughtered off-screen, getting mental brain damage that resulted in regression and memory loss, being on the sidelines forever, and then losing his girlfriend who was the last surviving member of his homeland...it's about him solving playground detective cases where children go to him with mysteries about someone who stole their super ultra rare trading card. 

Or the super tasty Noire tale as old as time about which kid ACTUALLY stole from the cookie jar.

Yeah.

That was Pre-SGW? Those are some interesting ideas.

15 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Or if there's a third season and Sega wanted it they'd do a Tie-In book. You think so small dude spoiled by how little money Archie was willing to put into the book. Yeah I know Skylanders and Angry Birds are usually short runs or Mini series but this is Sonic The Hedgehog a massive nostalgic property which IDW loves to exploit to it's tipping point. I'm seriously expecting at least a new Sonic Universe book to run alongside the main book and some 40 page specials.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Or if there's a third season and Sega wanted it they'd do a Tie-In book. You think so small dude spoiled by how little money Archie was willing to put into the book. Yeah I know Skylanders and Angry Birds are usually short runs or Mini series but this is Sonic The Hedgehog a massive nostalgic property which IDW loves to exploit to it's tipping point. I'm seriously expecting at least a new Sonic Universe book to run alongside the main book and some 40 page specials.

From what I've heard from Ian Flynn, the Boom comics were doing well in sales but Archie wanted them to be more than just monthly-released issues.

• Promotion 1

5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

That was Pre-SGW? Those are some interesting ideas.

" This is innapropriate for the age range of stories you are trying to tell, because of the lack of tact you have for the subjects you are presenting. Along with it being a terrible portrayal of the character in general"

Is generally a good summary for every single sega character thats as in an archie comic for quite some time. 

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

" This is innapropriate for the age range of stories you are trying to tell, because of the lack of tact you have for the subjects you are presenting. Along with it being a terrible portrayal of the character in general"

Is generally a good summary for every single sega character thats as in an archie comic for quite some time. 

Yeah, it seems that way for stuff between issues 50-160

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, it seems that way for stuff between issues 50-160

Although, the memory loss and brain damage thing happened in 176. 

• Nice Smile 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah.

I would read the hell out of this.

Although now I'm wondering if school is something SEGA has even thought about for these characters (which would make sense, it's never really come up as far as I can remember), and consequently if it's something they'd be flexible on/not care about or if they'd mandate against it.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

I would read the hell out of this.

Although now I'm wondering if school is something SEGA has even thought about for these characters (which would make sense, it's never really come up as far as I can remember), and consequently if it's something they'd be flexible on/not care about or if they'd mandate against it.

Well, I didn't say anything about school. Playgrounds and parks are efficient enough.

Or maybe little girls could come in with tears in their eyes, begging for a hero to find the mean big kid who stole their dollie. And the young detective boy shifts his giant detective hat on top of the helmet he's already wearing to the side, smokes a lolli-pop like it were a cigar and goes "A sweet young dame is in danger. It's time I restored order."

And they ride off on the girls' tricycle towards infamy and glory.

• Thumbs Up 4