Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

He also kept using Scratch, Grounder and Coconuts as well as introduced Breezie in Archie even though he doesn’t care for AoStH iirc.

Ian doesn't write specifically for himself but for the fans. 

I really hate how Shadow is forced to be written more like the light hearted cast in order for him to fit in. Shadow so far is the opposite of his mature sonic 06 self and his sa2 charismatic self.

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

I really hate how Shadow is forced to be written more like the light hearted cast in order for him to fit in. Shadow so far is the opposite of his mature sonic 06 self and his sa2 charismatic self.

What? Did we read the same issue? It's not mature, okay, but definitely not light hearted, it' just... Shadow being Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you guys think about the Master Overlord transformation? Do you think we'll see Super Sonic fighting him next?

I don't like it, I would have preferred a more focused, smaller final form (not Super though), but bonus points for it being unique and not just Metal Overlord again. No Super Sonic, I don't see any Chaos Emeralds, plus they said "everyone" fights him, so they'll defeat him together, with the "real super power of teamwork"!

Plus, I'm convinced Metal is defeated at the end of next issue...

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you guys think about the Master Overlord transformation? Do you think we'll see Super Sonic fighting him next?

I honestly think it's a massive step down from Super Neo.

Like I said before, the reason Metal turning Super was so brilliant wasn't the fact that it calls back to 3&K, but because it shows Metal realized what a game-changer Super Sonic has always been and decided to take that unstoppable force for himself.

Metal Overlord failed because it made Metal a much bigger, slower target. And since Master Overlord (Which is a pretty dumb name, if I'm honest. I get the Master Emerald motif, but out of context, it sounds like the most redundant title ever and doesn't even indicate that it's a Metal Sonic form) seems to be stationary and has the M.E. exposed, Metal might as well be wearing a neon sign that says, "HIT ME HERE"

To be frank, as much as I respect Ian as a writer, I think he kinda dropped the ball in this issue, between the baffling decision to throw away a literal golden opportunity in favor of a much less interesting callback, and Shadow pulling a literal Deus ex Machina to eliminate said opportunity.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, I Love Sticks said:

What? Did we read the same issue? It's not mature, okay, but definitely not light hearted, it' just... Shadow being Shadow.

Oh god, I'm sorry I don't want to do this.

Technically he's actually super right

Shadow is being written differently , here and in issue 6. Obviously here is way better, but he's right. I'm not going to say shadow is the most mature person all of media ever, he isn't by anymeans. But a shadow after 06 feels like he would have been around to at least listen to why  the people were doing the stuff before he bounced. And silver is here so.... some of that had to have occur internal retcon or no.

That said, I believe the reason why here is a alot better than I believe he was written weird in issue 6. Ian Flynn is a guy who likes to uh... explain things. This is the main who turned some of the things I hated into really cool stuff by just applying some form of universe internal logic to it ( More thought than sonic team put in some of these things ) , and I feel like this is him doing this with sonic forces. In Sonic forces, shadow just vanishes for 6 months with no explanation only for him to come back to kick himself in the face, and then they never explain it. Now obviously the reason this happened is because , the game was unfinished/didn't turn out the way they wanted and this like many things are leftovers from a different game and story.

So I feel like this is just a means for Ian to explain that, and I'm ok with it if that's the case? Because it feels like its just shadow's personality stretched in a slightly different pretty interesting direction. This direction could lead into a bad place, but I feel like Ian is competent enough and has displayed how to do it correctly. Justified hubris, now shadow fucked up, he fucked up big time. But if the DNA copy thing for whatever reason just wasn't working today... shadow would have bodied that man. So its seems like at least for now they are moving from introspection and self doubt being the flaws with shadow's character and more so a social disconnect. He's going to take it upon himself to solve the problem because he knows what he can do, not considering the other possibilities or people. And I think this could be an interesting turn.

Does this fix the other plot holes in forces around shadow like

• Where did he actually go
  • Why didn't he call rouge and by doing that would alert her these are copies thus solving the mystery before sonic even got beat up
  • Why didn't he just punch infinite in the face again

Now the answers to these questions are large plot holes and not wanting shadow's existence to fuck up the plot. But in universe there is no answer, and I don't think Ian can or wants to answer any of them...Well he might wanna answer the first one , one day. But yeah. But what He can do, is create a shadow that seems like he would vanish for month and not tell anyone even though they are in dire straits because he's working a lead or something.  Again, that doesn't fix those plot points, it does add interesting layers to his characters.

I don't think the sadness and introspection will be replaced by this , I think introspective shadow will show up when if that whisper vs shadow thing ever plays out. But Yeah

Technically Dash speed is right

Its just a totally fine change of character

I enjoyed it. Sure it was a lot of fighting and Burning Blaze sadly didn't last long but I enjoyed all the showcasing of everyone and the interactions between them. 

Plus I loved the little tidbit with Mr. Tinker getting kidnapped. Could the Doc be Eggman Nega? If so it'd be an interesting turn. 

So yeah I liked it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

35 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh snap, I just realized something intriguing if Rough n' Tumble are working on his behalf at this point.

Do tell.

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

Do tell.

It's more of an initial impression thing, but If this is indeed

Spoiler

Dr. Nega(who hails from the same future Silver comes from)

who got the Skunk Bros to fetch him the currently amnesiac Eggman after the events of Forces(and by extension, Mania), we could see him

Spoiler

reconsider his opinion of him

a  bit.

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Issue 11 covers!

B--vG0pI6AccPFOw156qfG5SgTm9c6J0IMrcm7X1

...great, now I will have to buy 3 comics. All with first cover.

TOO. GOOD!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Issue 11 covers!

B--vG0pI6AccPFOw156qfG5SgTm9c6J0IMrcm7X1

Cover art done by from left to right: Jon Grey, Lamar Wells, and Nathalie Fourdraine.

Really like how detailed the first one is.

It's awesome to see Gray doing serious content again (as opposed to the Off Panel gags he became known for). Not many people associate him with action packed content, but Return to Angel Island stands out as a great example of what he can do and this cover definitely channels that. I also love that POV shot for Wells' cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:24 AM, Marco9966 said:

Spoiler

I actually enjoyed it - it seemed a logical transition for Neo to make (what with the Overlord being the transformation most associated with this version of Metal Sonic) and was done in a suitably impressive manner - I loved how they had him suddenly looking up from his throne with the Overlord face. I was also pleased that his Master Overlord form wasn't just an exact carbon-copy of Metal Overlord and that the set-up for facing him will be extremely different from that of Heroes (no Chaos Emeralds and Master Overlord has the Master Emerald's power at his disposal).

As fun as Super Neo Metal Sonic was, I do worry he would have out-stayed his welcome if he'd been around too long - since Sonic and Knuckles can't realistically do much to him, there's only so much Super Neo smashing Sonic and Knuckles to bits that can be done before the fight scenes become repetitive. I wouldn't mind seeing a Super Sonic vs Super Metal Sonic fight at some point in the future in different circumstances though.

I was a bit confused however about Neo Metal Sonic's dialogue about Eggman upgrading him and removing the limitation that they were counting on? What was that supposed to refer to? I get that he needs Shadow's Chaos Control to become Overlord (along with Chaos's abilities from the Master Emerald and its raw energy), but what limitation did his upgrade overcome?

Not sure if it was mentioned, but a Volume 2 Graphic Novel has been announced and is cited for release on January 22nd 2019. 

It's called The Fate of Dr. Eggman, and compiles Issues 5-8.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but a Volume 2 Graphic Novel has been announced and is cited for release on January 22nd 2019. 

It's called The Fate of Dr. Eggman, and compiles Issues 5-8.

Does it have a fancy cover?

That’s been a thing for months (curtesy of Amazon).

Volume 3 is on Amazon too: “Battle for Angel Island” is due in May.

IDW Sonic issue 10 wasn't exciting Amy didn't do much and the fighting in it was poor. Ian Flynn said he's writing this book for everyone but changed Amy to love Sonic less so I believe what he said was a lie.

45 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

IDW Sonic issue 10 wasn't exciting Amy didn't do much and the fighting in it was poor. Ian Flynn said he's writing this book for everyone but changed Amy to love Sonic less so I believe what he said was a lie.

If I were Amy, I'd be more concerned about the fact that I'm standing on an island that is falling out of the sky at an unknown altitude and speed and I don't know if the impact will injure myself or cause a massive tsunami that could destroy any a nearby ships, towns, or cities.

Not to mention the evil knockoff of my current love interest just turned into a chimera dragon again.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Do you just read this book to see Amy do stuff, because there's more stuff going on than whatever Amy is doing...

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Do you just read this book to see Amy do stuff, because there's more stuff going on than whatever Amy is doing...

Well, I'm a fan of Amy so I want to see her do stuff and why can't there be a Sonic comic that stars Amy for once.