Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Bit late to the topic and bringing a more negative opinion to it about issue 8. That is to say, it did nothing for me.

Despite handling the character introductions well and further addressing why Sonic may not necessarily be up to speed, I just got nothing from this issue. Silver was enjoyable in his own way and the art was good with the fight scenes easy to follow, but I just feel like it was missing something, like it could have been a little more dynamic. Of course my negative opinion could also be stemming from fatigue of the current formula, or maybe because I was still on a high from issue 7 and the little previously page in the digital copy preceding the comic put a damper on things for me. I can't really say.

What I can say though is that Whisper didn't work for me in her introduction. Her motives are unclear, her personality is difficult to judge, and her destructive methods while also striving to avoid making contact with others didn't feel complimentary at this point. Obviously there is a mystery surrounding her and more of that will be explored going forward, but I really have little interest at this point. I'll try to avoid making any comparisons between her and Tangle since they are two totally different characters, but the bottom line is right now I'd rather see more Tangle than Whisper simply because Whisper failed to really entertain me. If not for her character hook of some sort of history with Eggman I would just write her off as a one off character and forget about her as the story returns to the battling Metal Sonic. I know that isn't the case though and that we should be seeing more of her going forward so hopefully in her next outing she'll manage to entertain me or give me a bit more to chew on about her character so that I can start to become invested in her. Right now though she isn't even engaging enough for me to earn an eh.

I agree, but that wasn't my problem really. My problem is that she simply did not entertain me in her first outing and in an entertainment medium that is not a good start. Sure she has mystery and intrigue surrounding her to serve as a hook to keep the reader invested and curious, but as she failed to entertain me I simply am not interested in learning more. I even reread the issue before posting here just to see if i was missing something based on the general love that she is getting and was subsequently not entertained again. I don't know why I don't find her entertaining, but right now I don't. As she should be a recurring character I'm genuinely hoping that my stance on her changes down the line, but that's only because I know she will be back, and not because I care to see more of her.

A quiet character introduced with a lot of fighting involved does not a good first impression make...

It only seems fine for now, but that's about it.

I'm not going to argue whether crap is a bad word or not. All I am saying is I don't agree with it being in the comics. Kids read these comics too and not every parent is going to think that particular word is something that belongs in family friendly material, and I personally don't blame them. It's long been excluded in kids' content for a reason. Heck, no Sonic products to my knowledge have used the word either, until now. I'd prefer it stay that way, that's all. 

14 minutes ago, Flame Lance said:

Heck, no Sonic products to my knowledge have used the word either, until now. I'd prefer it stay that way, that's all. 

Yeah, they used "damn" and "hell", which are no doubt more extreme than merely "crap."

Kid shows shouldn't be using heck either...but nobody seems to have a problem with that.

It's all fair game is all.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, they used "damn" and "hell", which are no doubt more extreme than merely "crap."

Well, I agree with you there... Wasn't a fan of that either, but the game was at least rated for ages 10 plus, so it's something. 

I said crap all the time when I was a kid. Its a word for children who fear saying "Shit".

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So....

does anyone think the Master Emerald might get shattered again?

I'm kind of hoping not mostly because I feel that plot has been done enough in the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So....

does anyone think the Master Emerald might get shattered again?

Same answer as with Blaze hunting for the Sol Emerald's: it's been done already fairly recently, so no, just Knuckles do stuff.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Remember when this happened?

I heard Helga said it a couple of times in Hey Arnold too.

I also remember a character saying it in the second Ice Age movie.

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

And "Damn." And even "ass." Though, they were puns, so that's probably how they got it through.

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I heard Helga said it a couple of times in Hey Arnold too.

Really now?

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Well see, that's Ice Age.

15 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

And "Damn." And even "ass." Though, they were puns, so that's probably how they got it through.

Yeah...that ain’t no pun.

8 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Yeah...that ain’t no pun.

I was referring to the two I mentioned. "Crap" probably stayed because it's the mildest of foul language.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm kind of hoping not mostly because I feel that plot has been done enough in the series.

Twice...it's only been done twice. Back to back, but still only 2 times.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Fair enough. 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

That doesn't alleviate the fact it was a recent event in the Archie comic, so for those following that side of things it would be repetitive. Blaze with the Sol Emeralds would be even moreso considering 90% of Blaze's appearances in the entirety of Archie featured her on an Emerald finding quest.

I didn't know about that...I didn't have an actual way to keep up with the Archie comics.

So 3 times, then.

Rule of 3. always reliable even when it's not intentionally done.

In the specific case of Blaze hunting for the Sol Emeralds, we know that Burning Blaze is in literally the next issue so hunting for Sol Emeralds isn't really on the immediate agenda, at least.  ...Presumably she can't just use the Sol Emeralds for free, though.  I've been considering the possibility that using them to become Burning Blaze will have the side-effect of returning Blaze to her world once the effect wears off.  That would both raise the stakes and wrap her up until her next big event.

15 hours ago, Flame Lance said:

I'm not going to argue whether crap is a bad word or not. All I am saying is I don't agree with it being in the comics. Kids read these comics too and not every parent is going to think that particular word is something that belongs in family friendly material, and I personally don't blame them. It's long been excluded in kids' content for a reason. Heck, no Sonic products to my knowledge have used the word either, until now. I'd prefer it stay that way, that's all. 

Knuckles said damn in Sonic Runners

I've just read issue 8 and I enjoyed it. Brown stuff is gonna hit the fan over the next couple of issues. looking forward to see what they do with Whisper and Tangle in the coming months too.