Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Personally, I have absolutely zero problems with Sega and IDW not using that word... but I still will.

Shortest reason: "Mobian" rolls tongue better than "furry", "antro" or (to avoid deviantart language) "talking animal that walks on two".

Same here.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

What if Big is wearing socks with sandals?

He's not. The "socks" are markings. You can tell because it doesn't have a different texture in 3D models. 

Even without him, Tikal is proof that blob feet are real. 

at the risk of ruining a streak of jokes since the last few pages show what people'd think are jokes being taken as seriously as possible so there's an excuse to be unhappy, the blob feet are an art style. common in both 1920s cartoons and old cartoony anime. they're not literal blob feet, they're depicted with as many toes as needed- normally that's none, but if wearing a slipper, then one toe, etc.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Razule said:

Two toes

But perhaps the blob feet are simply shaped by the sandals?

After this post, let's stop discussing their feet again.

I presume the feet are made of cartilage.

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

at the risk of ruining a streak of jokes since the last few pages show what people'd think are jokes being taken as seriously as possible so there's an excuse to be unhappy, the blob feet are an art style. common in both 1920s cartoons and old cartoony anime. they're not literal blob feet, they're depicted with as many toes as needed- normally that's none, but if wearing a slipper, then one toe, etc.

Hey, my era of cartoon interest is late 1950's - 1980's, where cartoon logic was being phased out for more solid shapes because merchandising was starting to become big business. 

Still interesting to hear. Especially interesting that Sonic's very initial inspiration was kept in mind for the "modern" redesign despite becoming more like contemporary shonen, and that it's been maintained all the way up to Forces. 

• Nice Smile 1

Sonic characters never take of their shoes...very big shoes that can only be filled by big blobs that stick from their legs.

Hopefully they don't even bother, it always looks bad.

8 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Ah yes, much like how Sonic is nothing but a pair of feet, right?

That doesn't mean the same thing as sentient hammer because Sonic is mostly about his feet but some writers like to make it out that Amy is about her hammer when she is more about her affection for Sonic.

3 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

That doesn't mean the same thing as sentient hammer because Sonic is mostly about his feet but some writers like to make it out that Amy is about her hammer when she is more about her affection for Sonic.

Neither of them is "about" the simple thing they use to fight. That has literally never happened. Just because you're salty that Sonic and Amy aren't in the unhealthy relationship they have in the games doesn't mean you should be shitting on any other possible portrayal of her. Honestly, even in that portrayal, claiming that Amy is only defined by her feelings for Sonic is both misrepresentative and shallow.

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

...that Sonic and Amy aren't in the unhealthy relationship they have in the games...

This isn't exist.

Something more accurate to recent times is that Amy's crush on Sonic barely is or isn't a thing...

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This isn't exist.

Something more accurate to recent times is that Amy's crush on Sonic barely is or isn't a thing...

Which is good.

But I totally would call the girl constantly following around and confessing/re-confessing her love only for him to basically ignore it every time an uncomfortable and potentially unhealthy relationship. The games may not portray it that way, but it's obvious they changed things for a reason, and that's definitely for the better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Neither of them is "about" the simple thing they use to fight. That has literally never happened. Just because you're salty that Sonic and Amy aren't in the unhealthy relationship they have in the games doesn't mean you should be shitting on any other portrayal of her.

What unhealthy relationship? Both Sonic and Amy are "about" something, don't just say I'm salty because I like something others may not like.

3 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Which is good.

But I totally would call the girl constantly following around and confessing/re-confessing her love only for him to basically ignore it every time an uncomfortable and potentially unhealthy relationship. The games may not portray it that way, but it's obvious they changed things for a reason, and that's definitely for the better.

They didn't change the dynamic, they've just actually gave Amy more than her crush on Sonic...so she could be more than just a gag. It also helps that they aren't really on screen together much.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, StaticMania said:

This isn't exist.

It exist in a lot of things like Sonic X, Boom and Sonic Chronicles.

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

Ah, but sir, do you have some evidence to back up this claim? You seem quite knowledgable about Sonic's Worldian wildlife, have you seen one out in the field? Does Mars have breathable atmosphere?

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

What unhealthy relationship? Both Sonic and Amy are "about" something, don't just say I'm salty because I like something others may not like.

I'm not saying you're salty because you like something, I'm saying you're salty because your first instinct at learning something isn't what you want is to define it as completely one-dimensional.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

They didn't change the dynamic, they've just actually gave Amy more than her crush on Sonic...so she could be more than just a gag. It also helps that they aren't really on screen together much.

Well, I would argue changing the character does change the dynamic, but the point is it's not as weird and borderline-stalker compared to before.

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

After this post, let's stop discussing their feet again.

I presume the feet are made of cartilage.

Ah dang I didn't see this

Just now, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I'm not saying you're salty because you like something, I'm saying you're salty because your first instinct at learning something isn't what you want is to define it as completely one-dimensional.

Well, I would argue changing the character does change the dynamic, but the point is it's not as weird and borderline-stalker compared to before.

What did I learn? I really would be disappointed if Amy stops being affectionate toward Sonic for the sake of some small amount of fans, but Forces did feel like Heroes Amy to me but she just didn't get enough screen time to show more.

Don't exaggerate. Everyone knows the amount of fans would be more than small, it will very certainly be substantial.

No piece of...Sonic related media has made her stop liking Sonic, so this can stop.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

12 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

What did I learn? I really would be disappointed if Amy stops being affectionate toward Sonic for the sake of some small amount of fans, but Forces did feel like Heroes Amy to me but she just didn't get enough screen time to show more.

Well thinking that Forces and Heroes have the exact same portrayal seems more like a flaw in your perception than anyone else's. And either way, the only thing we were told is that Amy's crush would be portrayed closer to Boom, AKA no more literally physically attacking Sonic to get what she wants when he clearly doesn't, which you decided to interpret as "no personality" or "sentient hammer". Such says both that Amy's personality is in terrible shape if all she is is her crush on Sonic, and that your interpretation of the character is rather flawed if that's all you see, and especially if you think the way she acts is acceptable or realistic in any connotation other than a cartoon.

No piece of...Sonic related media has made her stop liking Sonic, so this can stop.

It never started. I'm just taking issue with the idea that downplaying Amy's crush on Sonic to be something less disgusting like in Boom means she has no personality.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Wait do you mean where she started off liking Sonic and stopped or where she never liked him at any point?

Because StC did the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

38 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I'm pretty sure using physical force to make someone become your spouse is beyond unhealthy.

Anyways, I feel we need to stop restarting this tangent. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1