Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I see people saying why cancel the Sonic the Hedgehog Archie comics, only to do what looks like the same with with IDW?

Well, there was nothing wrong with the comic itself. It was just working with Archie that was so utterly painful. The company is obviously incompetent, writers are coming out of the woodwork to sue to claim their work, so much wild bullshit happened because Sega wasn't tight enough, and it obviously wasn't working as well as they wanted it to.

So this is more the case of moving to a more competent comic book company, and starting anew. They can make a new Sonic comic formula, or stick to the old, it's really just a case of "get me away from that company please."

In a way, it's another reboot of the Archie comics, without any of the Archie.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian said that this would be new. NOPE. 

It is new though. It's new stuff set in the game universe. I doubt the entire comic will be Forces forever.

Just now, Mister X said:

It is new though. It's new stuff set in the game universe. I doubt the entire comic will be Forces forever.

Yes, but it MIGHT be stuck in the game universe forever, and I wanted it to be its own thing.

• Chuckle 1

Even if it is the game universe, they can still tell new stories, have characters interact with each other in ways we don't see in the games, and introduce new characters, locations, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yes, but it MIGHT be stuck in the game universe forever, and I wanted it to be its own thing.

Pretty sure they informed well in advance that the comics were gonna be more games universe oriented, or at least be more connected to the games than the Archie comics were.

4 minutes ago, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Pretty sure they informed well in advance that the comics were gonna be more games universe oriented, or at least be more connected to the games than the Archie comics were.

I never saw anything like that, only that it was new. I just hope it can run parallel without it being DIRECTLY connected to the games, so that it can be a true clean slate, like what the conference said.

15 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I never saw anything like that, only that it was new. I just hope it can run parallel without it being DIRECTLY connected to the games, so that it can be its own thing, like what the conference said.

The continuity of the games is so loose that it really shouldn't be much of an issue.

And I think they meant "new" and "its own thing" as in "it's not the same as Archie".

I like the covers so far, and it’s great to see Amy sharing a badass looking cover alongside Sonic, she rarely ever got featured as a main focus in the Archie comics, she usually showed up as a background character it seemed like.

I like how Amy is going to try and get Sonic to rejoin the resistance. That’s one thing that really bugged me about the ending to Forces.

For a game that kept overpreaching the “power of friendship”, Sonic really made a dickish move in the epilogue by leaving the resistance without an explanation or farewell. That moment felt very out of place, how did Sonic go from being a team player, to leaving his friends behind without a word?..

At least the Avatar let the resistance know he/she was leaving, even if it was rushed and unexplained. I’m glad to see the comics might clear some things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't really matter if the comics are locked into the games universe or not. The only question here is whether or not Ian will have the freedom to have characters come and go as they please, and craft his own interwoven narrative between overarching focus.

So long as he isn't handcuffed by sticking strictly to the flavor of the month, than the games setting shouldn't hinder him from developing this new series into its own identity. Just means the Forces EggPawns will be overstaying their welcome a bit longer is all.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I never saw anything like that, only that it was new. I just hope it can run parallel without it being DIRECTLY connected to the games, so that it can be a true clean slate, like what the conference said.

Comics wise,  it is a clean slate either way from what we've seen. 

Being a followup to Forces doesn't disqualify it from being such. 

As was mentioned during the end of the game

Spoiler

there's a lot of cleanup to do around the world from Eggman's takeover

And starting there doesn't negate the potential for introducing us to characters in the comic book. 

Incredibly doubtful that it's a case where you'll have to play the games to understand the comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ini Miney Jovahexeon said:

Comics wise,  it is a clean slate either way from what we've seen. 

Being a followup to Forces doesn't disqualify it from being such. 

As was mentioned during the end of the game

Hide contents

there's a lot of cleanup to do around the world from Eggman's takeover

And starting there doesn't negate the potential for introducing us to characters in the comic book. 

Incredibly doubtful that it's a case where you'll have to play the games to understand the comic.

Plus, there isn't much that can't be explained through a flashback and mentionings like what the reboot comics did for the other games.

• Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, SpongicX said:

That moment felt very out of place, how did Sonic go from being a team player, to leaving his friends behind without a wors.

How was it out of place exactly?

Sonic has always played that card. He's the Grand Marshall of the Super Power of Teamwork parade, but as soon as everything calms down he is the first one to hit the road. Then when the next crisis hits, its all "long time no see" and teamwork again. Chronicles is really the only game that ever addressed this.

• Nice Smile 1

It could still potentially be it's own continuity in the same way post-SGW Archie was: having a bunch of the past games being canon while having stuff inbetween that helped to explain things within the games themselves, maybe even being allowed to do their own adaptions of any future games when the time comes.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I love the teaser thing they pulled in hindsight.

5 days before release; Fans: It's Sally!

3 days before release; Fans: It's Antoine!

Now; 

Hey, I'm down for it. Sheep are my second-favourite animal. 

We haven’t seen the full image yet. But I agree that Beep Beep The bovid looks rather cute. 

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

How was it out of place exactly?

Sonic has always played that card. He's the Grand Marshall of the Super Power of Teamwork parade, but as soon as everything calms down he is the first one to hit the road. Then when the next crisis hits, its all "long time no see" and teamwork again. Chronicles is really the only game that ever addressed this.

Because right before the credits rolled, Sonic made it sound like he was still a part of the team, and wanted to work with them to clean up Eggman’s mess, yet he ditches them as soon as the credits end. This game had a chance to give Sonic a lot of character development, yet scraps it with no explanation.

You can’t have Sonic making constant friendship speeches out of nowhere, just to see him ditch them at last minute. I’m fine with Sonic wanting to do things his way, but I hate seeing him treat his friends like that. It’s not heroic or admirable at all. He should at least be able to talk to them, before leaving like that.

It’s great to see how this comic sounds like Amy is going to give Sonic a talk about how lousy that was of him to leave them like that. I understand that Sonic is just making sure others from the rest of the world are ok, but he can’t do it all on his own.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, SpongicX said:

Because right before the credits rolled, Sonic made it sound like he was still a part of the team, and wanted to work with them to clean up Eggman’s mess, yet he ditches them as soon as the credits roll. This game had a chance to give Sonic a lot of character development, yet scraps it with no explanation.

You can’t have Sonic making constant friendship speeches out of nowhere, just to see him ditch them at last minute. I’m fine with Sonic wanting to do things his way, but I hate seeing him treat his friends like that. It’s not heroic or admirable at all. He should at least be able to talk to them, before leaving like that.

It’s great to see how this comic sounds like Amy is going to give Sonic a talk about how lousy that was of him to leave them like that. I understand that Sonic is just making sure others from the rest of the world are ok, but he can’t do it all on his own.

Yeah, it feels a bit hypocritical to preach about friendship, yet you often neglect the friends you already have. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SpongicX said:

Because right before the credits rolled, Sonic made it sound like he was still a part of the team, and wanted to work with them to clean up Eggman’s mess, yet he ditches them as soon as the credits roll. This game had a chance to give Sonic a lot of character development, yet scraps it with no explanation.

Oh you mean like in SA1 where Sonic used everyone positive emotions to transform into Super Sonic and save the day. Then while everyone was basking in the afterglow, Sonic ditched the entire cast to go after Eggman on his own.

Or you mean like in Heroes where not 5 min after delivering THE "real superpower of teamwork" speech, Sonic saw his gaggle of friends approaching to celebrate and instead chose to leave them all in the dust.

Sonic almost always runs off into the sunset. Anyone that can't keep up gets left behind..

Sonic has a very long track record of bailing on his friends. Why is it so surprising that he chose to do it again in forces? Long time no see is his philosophy at this point.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:14 PM, RedFox99 said:

Well, at the very least there's a chance that the extended video game cast will be used more in the comics than in recent main series games.

And the recent Archie comics to boot.   One problem I'm certainly not going to miss. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I mean, it was kinda to be expected, we're not gonna get wildly different continuities from the games anymore because we're at a point where the games have a more esta... more of a world than it did in the 90s. It's not like it's going to literally be in the universe, and attempt to be some kind of Expanded Universe to the games and have to be as non-contradictory as possible. It's just taking what's came before as a starting point, it'll go in more of a different direction as time goes on and the comic makes it's own lore.

unless it ends after like 5 years and never gets the chance

--------

Really want to see if Ian's crazy enough to try and make sense of Two Worlds in some way

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Oh you mean like in SA1 where Sonic used everyone positive emotions to transform into Super Sonic and save the day. Then while everyone was basking in the afterglow, Sonic ditched the entire cast to go after Eggman on his own.

Or you mean like in Heroes where not 5 min after delivering THE "real superpower of teamwork" speech, Sonic saw his gaggle of friends approaching to celebrate and instead chose to leave them all in the dust.

Sonic almost always runs off into the sunset. Anyone that can't keep up gets left behind..

Sonic has a very long track record of bailing on his friends. Why is it so surprising that he chose to do it again in forces? Long time no see is his philosophy at this point.

I wasn’t excusing how he behaved in the past. What makes Forces more annoying with it’s execution, is how the characters decide to stick around as a team in the end. In past games, they stuck around until their mission was over.

However, Sonic Forces ends with the characters realizing there’s more to do, and they decide for once that they should stick together. It’s very dickish for Sonic to leave when his friends decide they need each other. Even Shadow, Rouge, and Omega are sticking around it seems! You know something is off when Shadow is fine with working with others, yet Sonic isn’t.

It makes it seem like Sonic doesn’t appreciate his friends, and wants to keep away from them. It’s a problem that slightly bugged me in the past, yet was made even worse in Forces. You can’t have Sonic suddenly talk about praising friendship, yet have him screw it all in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I wasn’t excusing how he behaved in the past. What makes Forces more annoying with it’s execution, is how the characters decide to stick around as a team in the end. In past games, they stuck around until their mission was over.

However, Sonic Forces ends with the characters realizing there’s more to do, and they decide for once that they should stick together. It’s very dickish for Sonic to leave when his friends decide they need each other. Even Shadow, Rouge, and Omega are sticking around it seems! You know something is off when Shadow is fine with working with others, yet Sonic isn’t.

It makes it seem like Sonic doesn’t appreciate his friends, and wants to keep away from them. It’s a problem that slightly bugged me in the past, yet was made even worse in Forces. You can’t have Sonic suddenly talk about praising friendship, yet have him screw it all in the end.

^All of this. While I'm no longer a big fan of Boom I like how often they played with how aloof Sonic can be and the problems of it sometimes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my gosh. 

On 1/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh, I thought you all had already talked about this. I'm usually late to the party.

I don't know why but I'm picturing a fluffy, light blue character. A sheep maybe. 

I think I done guessed right. I got the color wrong but who cares? I said sheep!

• Promotion 1

Hoo boy. There's a lot I want to say about this.

I'll start with the positive. The art looks great. I'm glad to see Adam Bryce Thomas is back. It's great to see so many Archie Sonic freelancers returning. But...that's all the positivity I can give. First, I'll start off by saying that I was expecting game-adaptations of some kind to occur in IDW Sonic at some point. However, I wasn't expecting it so soon. And it's related to Forces. Again. For the last half a year we've heard nothing but question dodging and constant dialogue about how new this is, and this is what we get. More Forces. I mean...this is how you draw people into the series? This is what you start with? The aftermath of what is arguably a very divisive game that has already had its story dragged out as it is through multiple console games and a prequel comic arc? Even if Forces ended up on the scale of Mania in terms of reception, I'd still be burned out by this game. I'm tired of Forces. I'd like to move on from it. The solicitation for #2 talks about "Sonic's new adventure", but this doesn't give me the vibe of new at all. Nothing about these first issues do. You can say that "this will change later as the comics evolve", but the point is that these first issues are nothing like what we've been told, and this doesn't come off like a good start for the comics at all. As for what looks like new characters...it's hard to take them seriously. If this is supposed to be the aftermath of Forces, then for all we know, they're just going to play a background role or be one of those Resistance soldiers that we'd hear in the game once in a blue moon.

What I loved about Archie Sonic is that they had their own identity while not straying too far from what made Sonic, well, Sonic. Here? It seems to be exactly what I was hoping the comics wouldn't be: playing it safe and making it very in-line with the games, taking away all the life that the Sonic comics had in the first place. Judging from what we've seen so far, the comics aren't looking like they'll have an identity at all. I really hope characters like the Freedom Fighters return, because right now, my interest in IDW Sonic has dropped. If this is the "new direction" that the comics will be going, then what we've seen and heard so far is not reassuring at all.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh my gosh. 

I think I done guessed right. I got the color wrong but who cares? I said sheep!

Well but

tpLtnTv.png

These look nothing alike.

• Nice Smile 2