Awoo.

What YOU think of Sonic Mania

Kuzu

Well, I don't think it's any secret that a majority of people both in and out of the fanbase are in love with this game and have pretty high expectations for it, especially in the wake of the rather split opinions on Forces. That said, I notice a lot of people who aren't on board with 2D Sonic have much less praise for this game, or at the very least, aren't as on board with it as everyone else.

I know there isn't as much to criticize about Mania, and therefore, probably far less to talk about in regards to it, but it's good to get our minds off of Forces and talk about a game some of us are actually excited for for once. Yes, I want to hear all impressions of on Mania, good or bad and what do you plan on doing once you get your hands on it?

-------------

Me personally, I cannot wait to play this game. It's all I ever wanted from Sonic, just a simple game that expands on past conventions of the series without feeling like a rehash and does so in a meaningful way that I can appreciate. 

The entire development of this game just feels like a love letter to fans who waited so long for another game like this to come out after having to endure over a decade of games that ranged from mediocre to simply being inoffensive. I really hope the positive reception this game is getting and will continue to get on release prompts Sega to let these guys go a bit more wild and actually create original levels.

If I have one criticism, it's the obvious reliance on past levels, even if they are redesigned, as I would have definitely preferred more newer ones. Also, I really do think it;s a shame they couldn't add Amy cuz I know it's possible due to the amount of fan hacks there are. But those are honestly nitpicks and they don't take away from everything else about the game that's damn good. And if I can say that about a Sonic game, that's honestly the best damn praise I can give it.

• Thumbs Up 3

My nitpicks are the same as yours: I want the devs to explore new territory more. I don't want to discourage them however. Sega might let them cut loose if this game is a success so we should all support this direction as much as possible. 

I'm also pretty disappointed about Amy and I'm kind of hoping Taxman managed to work her in as a surprise. Seeing the classic gang together would be good for the soul.

Screen-Shot-2016-06-09-at-20.49.12.png

Nothing else to complain about though. The game looks pitchperfect and the new additions only enhance the classic experience rather than get in thwe way. I'm also glad it's a sprite based game since I prefer that infinitely over the 2.5 D look.

• Thumbs Up 8

An interesting criticism I have. I actually have no issue with SEGA reusing the levels as long as designs are different and there's new gimmicks or exploration to justify it. That said, I think it would've been cool if they didn't limit themselves to the classic era. Imagine a Classic 2D version of Emerald Coast, or Metal Harbour.  

• Thumbs Up 5

As someone who didn't grow up with the Classic games, but played all of the main classic Sonic games (Knuckles Chaotix doesn't count), I really like what Mania is doing. Sure, it looks somewhat safe and I'm still miffed on reusing aesthetics and parts of level design of classic levels in act 1, the classic levels still look fresh, and new stages are just gorgeous and look like fun to play. Drop dash is also a pretty cool new mechanic and I love how elemental shields now interact with actual levels (burning bridges with fire shield for example). The music is also great, Tee Lopes and Falk are REALLY good at making and "engineering" music. Ugh, is it 15th August yet?!

Shadow isn't in it so it's bad

I've played two levels. Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon. They're fun.

I'm not gonna get as much enjoyment out of it as Forces because it's a Classic game, however. This isn't a criticism or anything, but with the lack of story and characters that are my favorites, it probably won't leave as much of an impact with me. The Classics aren't really for me, since I grew up starting with the Adventure games.

Time will tell if it ends up having stages that frustrate me like in the original games. Hopefully not. I mean, Sonic 3 didn't really have any.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is almost nothing about Mania that I don't love, which is a strange and confusing feeling these days.

Gorgeous graphics, great music, an amazing sense of style and personality, creative new level themes, and of course the gameplay looks rock solid. The only thing I'm not entirely happy about is the reused levels, since that's something the series has already been relying on too much, but it's a fairly minor criticism for me because of how well they're paying tribute to these levels while still mixing things up and because everything else is so right that I can't see it harming my enjoyment much.

The Sonic series is in a strange place right now. Forces is a mess, Archie Sonic's been cancelled, who knows how much longer Boom is going to stick around. We could be on the verge of some radical shift, ether for good or bad. Given the series' history, I'd say most likely bad. But regardless of what comes next, at least we have Mania.

• Thumbs Up 9

What I think:

-It's Sonic 4 as I truly imagined, except for the reimagined levels,  which I understand for this game.

-I hope it comes to Android. With Sega Forever launch, I see it more likely.

-I wish there are more games like Mania from now, not necessarily sequels.

-I hope it makes more people claim for S3K remastered, and Sega makes it.

-I'm sure I'll love it. 

It's a game to me. I recognize it's higher quality, but I just don't care about it, except in regards to how it might affect the series as a whole. I don't want Mania inspired elements to complete override and replace the things I like.

I'm not too big of a fan of the music so far. Is too same-y. Sonic Before and After the Sequel (The fangame) has way a better soundtrack and better level tropes.

I'm not too found of Sonic CD music and art style.

Is a nitpick but this game would be perfect to introduce Amy as a playable character in the classic series.

Everything else is on point.

I'm just not into 2D games as much as others. Or the CD aesthetic. So I don't care that much.

I don't like nostalgia in general.

But after all what I said... It will be a 10 out of 10 game to me.

Mania is a game that I’m simply happy exists. I’m looking forward to a good amount of the music from it (though there have been a number of track from it I’m not fond of so far), the smooth sprite work, and whatever 2D animations we get from it. I also like seeing what new things they’re adding to the formula (levels, moves, gimmicks and all). Plus, it’s nice to see people on here actually getting excited for something after waiting so long for something like this.

Though, that’s really where my praising ends for it. At the end of the day, I just didn’t grow up with the classics and have little to no connection with the gameplay style. I’m a broken record when it comes to this but it’s just way too stop and go for me. I know (and have been told quite a few times XD) that Sonic isn’t all about speed but I argue that it’s still a pretty damn important part anyway. When I look back at the classics there just aren’t that many opportunities for fast flowing movements. Something that just about every other game after them capitalized on. This fast flowing gameplay is what I came to the series for. Sure, you have your moments like in Hydrocity where you could gain a fair amount of speed but the gameplay never capitalizes on it. They would just give you a segment every 3 levels and then lock you to some more basic platforming.

When I look at Mania, I see a slightly shinier version of that. Only, this time they’re literally throwing old levels into the mix. They actually seem to be taking the original levels, cutting and pasting certain segments of them into different places, and calling them act 1. I can appreciate the new levels like Studiopolis and for being new. I can appreciate Chemical Plant act 2 for throwing in some new elements that do change up the level enough. But the rest of it seems to be stuff I would classify as remakes. Remakes of things I didn’t really enjoy to begin with.

With that said, I look forward to at least trying the game out, giving it a shot, and enjoying all the things I can with it. Hell, I hope that it does well enough to spawn its own side series so that the fans of it can be happy. But I’ve realized that this just isn’t the Sonic game for me. It doesn’t have the gameplay style, plot, world, or even technical detail (good sprite work is great but I’m always going to prefer the utilization of more current styles and techniques) that has kept me engaged with the series. I appreciate it for what it’s trying to do and even think it’s doing that thing pretty damn well. I’m just not a fan of what it’s accomplishing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mania is the best Sonic game in 23 fucking years. I've got total confidence in the team making it; fans who know how to make a fantastic Sonic game (which current Sonic Team clearly do not). Music, physics, level design, animations, 32-bit pixel, HBH, Eggman, Death Egg Robot & Drop-Dash. It just all feels so perfect.

Re-imagining fan-favorite levels (along with new zones) to celebrate the 25th/26th anniversary was a really good idea. I can totally understand fans wanting all new zones, but from what I've seen (and briefly played) I think I'm gonna have such a blast playing through Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Flying Battery and Stardust Speedway. I'm gonna replay this game so much. I wan't to explore and find all the secrets!

If we can't have Sonic 3 Remastered then lets have Sonic Mania which might turn out to be even better. Might... :P

• Thumbs Up 4

Man, I'm so excited for this game!

This is the game that I would be looking around in the store at the magazine section, browsing through a game magazine and I see a page like this:fPUX8uN.thumb.jpg.44260b86e22072bba92e8b4ed83adcc5.jpg

Or i'd go through a box of old comic books my mama used to collect and find an ad for it and be so excited. 

It's like that sonic game you always wanted but got released for the 32x back in the day. It's giving me great nostalgia vibes.

It's also great to finally see the fan base unanimously agree on a sonic game for once. It was needed. 

Can't wait to playthrough that Galooniza zone!

Sonic Mania may just be the best Sonic game to come to home consoles in roughly 7 years.  The game just looks like it had some genuine heart & effort put into it. Made by fans for fans.

My only complaint, like others is that we don't have an option to play as classic Amy or classic reimaginings of newer characters (yet)

But overall Mania looks like it could end up being one of my favorites right up there with the Original Genesis games, Adventure 1&2, Colors, and the Advance & Rush series.  So overall yea I am pretty positive towards it.

• Thumbs Up 3

While I haven't played the game to really know what I think of it, I do know that it will end up being a great game.

The graphics look great and an evolution of the classics, it even fixes a flaw that I find with Sonic 3&K and that's because there is no dithering that it designed for only composite TVs that some levels suffered from. It's bright, vibrate and a pleaser to look. Music is fantastic and really hits the spot, some of them do feel like they are from other Sega games but that is no bad thing. Gameplay is just like the classics and I'll know that they'll play like them too just by knowing that Taxman is involved. The new levels look fun to play. It also has something that many Sonic games these days don't have and that is passion. You can tell Taxman, Stealth, Tee Lopes and the others really wanted to make the best that they can do. I actually hope that this gets sequels or even a bigger push for the future that looks a bit grim now. Its a love letter to the older fans (including myself).

Even though the returning stages is a little disappointing and have a hunch whose to blame for that so sadly the team doesn't have the full freedom that Naka, Ohshima and Yasuhara had, at least the dev team are putting a spin to the older stages to make them well not the same as they were and different enough for the source level rather like the 8 bit games/alternative versions. It feels like a Sonic's Greatest Hits collection. Some old favourites mixed with a few bonus new stuff.

For me though, it sounds like something is missing. I can't quite put it. It's not the graphics, sound or gameplay. It feels like it is a great game but not a wow, I must get this right now! Will I get it? Of course, I've been looking forward to be playing my last platformer and a really good classic styled Sonic game. There is just something preventing me from preordering it. It is a worrying sign when you are looking forward more to Monster Hunter Stories rather than perhaps the best Sonic game in a good while.

In a weird sense, I actually think this will be the best Sonic game in six years rather 23...or maybe since 2013. That is because the remasters that Christian Whitehead put out made me appreciate the Classic Sonic games so much more and past versions obsolote. Sonic CD of 2011 my fave Sonic game bar none, right next to Generations.

The smoother feeling, wide screen is what sells me, as well as level design that haven't been this good since...Generations! And new level themes that have not been as good since...Colors!

Forces, Forces...despite being inspired by Colors/Generations it doesn't reach the best parts of those games

Mania is pretty much the Sonic game I've been longing for years and is the only reason why I haven't written off (if not outright dropped) my interest in Sonic following Generations (which is the last Sonic game I bought and had some enjoyment out of) at best and Boom at worst (which has an okay TV show but was amazing to witness for how much they screwed up the launch and the games being a dumpster fire). I'm still surprised we're even getting it given how Sonic Team/Dimps nearly killed off the Classic Sonic direction with the hackjob that was Sonic 4 (and which is why I can't be thankful enough that the studio has largely left Taxman and co. to their own devices).

The gameplay looks to be the tried and true playstyle that we haven't seen in decades; with virtually perfect physics and controls, amazing level gimmicks, and largely excellent level design--it's the return to a pedigree of assured game design quality that the series has been badly lacking for years. The graphics and especially the return to the Genesis-era artstyle is fantastic. And it goes without saying that the new zones look amazing and I know are going to be the main highlight of the game. The music is admittedly a bit lacking in variation from what we've heard so far, but I can forgive it due to it being a return to a musical style we haven't had in years, and many of the tracks we've heard so far pretty much sound top-notch.

The only real major complaints I have with this game are the returning zones, especially so with how they are levels we've (recently) seen remade before and how they take up roughly half of the game's content (though given how much the dev team has made changes to them and it was Iizuka's call rather than their own, I can largely let this slide) and the lack of a physical/retail release (though again, that's more on Sega than the dev team). But other than that, I'm confident its easily going to be the best Sonic game --off of fundamentals alone-- since Sonic 3&K. I opened a Steam account specifically just to get this game (though not having a PS4/XBO/Switch is also a factor), and I have never pre-purchased a game before up until the pre-order trailer hit. It's easily my most anticipated game of this year, it's shaping up to be a very special product.

I'm really hoping this game is a critical and commercial success that ensures a good future (no pun intended) for new Sonic products based on the original style of games (especially so if it's by the same team and if they're made with minimal --if any-- interference by Sonic Team) as well as new opportunities for community members to work on official Sonic projects; as well as wipes away the revisionist history claims of even the original games not being very good (note how similar claims about the original Crash games largely went away when the N-Sane Trilogy remakes got great reviews and became a clear success story in sales).

I'm also hoping Mania contributes to a serious re-analysis (and if possible, some much needed structural/staff changes IMO) by the general public and Sega themselves on Sonic Team's track record and largely undisputed control of the series. That of which is the least Mania could do if it doesn't (also) vastly outsell the main game, which IMO looks like a circus sideshow despite being in development for nearly four years, and only accentuates how much Sonic Team continue to lose the plot to their own franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

My general feeling towards Mania is pure apathy.

It's a classic game in 2017, one that honestly should've been done by Sega years and years before, if only as a replacement of Sonic 4. Good on it for existing, but we've got Mario running around in a 3D environment where tons of objects and even enemies are stand-ins for traditional power-ups. I kind of want to Sonic as a whole to move on in ways comparable to that.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mania could be game we need. Especially after the sonic 4 fiasco. While I don't have much nostalgia for the classics as I do with sonic adventure. I do agree with the majority that it looks fantastic. The only issue I have with it is that I wish it was entirely original with its level. 

Mania looks like a great game and I love great games. So I'm looking forward to it when it releases. 

Meh, I really don't care about Mania nor do I really see the big deal.

I barely talk about it because there's really nothing else I can say, it's a good looking improved classic game. It doesn't look like a game for me to get massively hyped for unlike Forces.

Something I could simply play for if I'm in a Classic mood, but that's kinda it. I techinally did grow up with the Classics, only through Mega Collection, being an early 2000s kid, you get my drift.  

It's colorful, imaginative, and believe it or not, I still haven't listened to the music but I imagine it's good. I see where the appeal comes from to the majority but not to me, it's really nothing more than a revisioned remaster of the Classics imo.

I can appreciate the fact that it's by a great team and I'm happy they made this but it's not my cup of tea.

The new levels are impressive and I'm be honest and say they did a pretty good job with the rehashed levels.

You may not understand my taste but I'm way more hyped and interested for Forces for various reasons.

Am I still gonna buy and have a blast with Mania?

Hell yes.

• Thumbs Up 2

My only problem with Mania is how generally clustered the zones feel, especially the second acts of them.

Other than that, I have one word.

Perfection.

And one score.

9,000 of 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am so indifferent to Mania. I mean, it's kinda the embodiment of the qualities I didn't like from the era; the level design being a mix of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 (I don't like the level design in either of them), the music being samey and just there for me (and I subscribed to Tee Lopes long before Mania, so I know he can do stuff I really like. Also probably a side-effect of emulating Sonic CD as I had the same issue with that), the art style being more like Sonic CD's garish palette (although nothing quite as bad as Sonic CD)...

Basically, trying to emulate Sonic CD in most aspects puts me off it. 

I see it as any other classic Sonic game but a bit better. With great music that gets you into the game and stunning visuals. It plays with nostalgia in a way that is new and fresh and not just as a marketing ploy. Are we tired of Green Hill Zone? Yeah, but this game actually provides a good explanation for it and other older stages being there which is a plus. 

I think a game like this should have happened years ago not certainly as a replacement to Sonic 4 but as episode 3 or a split game. Point is, it should have happened years ago and this was a game most fans wanted. I am happy for most of the fans because it's been too long of a wait.

Am I personally hyped? Yes and no. Yes because of the trailer, new Sonic game, I like the visual and seeing people's reactions. No because I was never a huge fan of the classics and I see this game as that...with upgrades. That's just me personally. 

27 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I am so indifferent to Mania. I mean, it's kinda the embodiment of the qualities I didn't like from the era; the level design being a mix of Sonic CD and Sonic 3 (I don't like the level design in either of them), the music being samey and just there for me (and I subscribed to Tee Lopes long before Mania, so I know he can do stuff I really like. Also probably a side-effect of emulating Sonic CD as I had the same issue with that), the art style being more like Sonic CD's garish palette (although nothing quite as bad as Sonic CD)...

Basically, trying to emulate Sonic CD in most aspects puts me off it. 

I'm curious, what about the level design didn't you like?