Awoo.

Sonic Forces E3 Trailer "The Next Generations" *Huge Spoilers in OP

Badnik Mechanic

There are perfectly valid reasons for people to push back against the overwhelming negativity. Every single little detail is bemoaned for being awful and terrible. Okay, fine, that's how you feel. But don't get mad when someone suggests that perhaps you're doing yourself a disservice by even following this game anymore. That, just like yours, is an opinion, and Nepenthe, your post on the subject immaculately encapsulates the hypocrisy of the elitists in this thread. I don't care if I'm banned for it, I'm going to do what you say this thread is for: to discuss the next Sonic game. 

i just wish Sega would stop trying to stir the nostalgia pot so much, that's almost all they've been doing for the past seven years. Especially here, they're just throwing in aspects from past games with little coherence for nostalgiabux. Now it could be more complex, but Pontac and Graff are returning to write for this game, so I wouldn't be that optimistic, since Lost World was pretty much the worst written Sonic Game, and I even say that with '06 in mind. Still the gameplay looks alright, just hope they keep the boosting to a minimum.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

There are perfectly valid reasons for people to push back against the overwhelming negativity. Every single little detail is bemoaned for being awful and terrible. Okay, fine, that's how you feel. But don't get mad when someone suggests that perhaps you're doing yourself a disservice by even following this game anymore. That, just like yours, is an opinion, and Nepenthe, your post on the subject immaculately encapsulates the hypocrisy of the elite in this thread. 

This must be a record speed from a mod posting a warning to active acknowledgement of that post by a member that they've gotten a strike as a result of deliberately breaking the rules.

If anyone else wants continue with this nonsense instead of talking about the game, they're free to do so.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

This must be a record speed from a mod posting a warning to active acknowledgement of that post by a member that they've gotten a strike as a result of deliberately breaking the rules.

If anyone else wants continue with this nonsense instead of talking about the game, they're free to do so.

I broke no rules. I spoke my mind and was punished. What happened to you?

• Thumbs Up 1

Surely you can push back against negativity by...posting your own positive opinions? It doesn't have to be a war, dudes.

Like, I get it, the negativity is tiring, I've been hesitant to post about the game myself. But I don't blame most of the people who aren't feeling this game for that, and even if I did, shitting up threads over it wouldn't help at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Explosions and a city suffering damage is literally nothing when you compare the rest of what Forces is doing so this is basically Lost World just with more bombs/fire and boost.

Umm, if I may ask, what exactly was Lost World doing that was so far from the dark side in your opinion aside from say some of the more upbeat cutscenes that you compare it to Sonic Forces for?

3 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

I broke no rules. I spoke my mind and was punished. What happened to you?

Maybe instead of constantly bemoaning the negativity, you could ignore it and talk about the things you like?

Kind of feels like you want to argue lol

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Umm, if I may ask, what exactly was Lost World doing that was so far from the dark side in your opinion aside from say some of the more upbeat cutscenes?

There was a general lack of emotional resonance. Even when Sonic thinks all his friends are dead, he says something to the effect of "Aw, what happened to my buddies?" Kinda lame. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Umm, if I may ask, what exactly was Lost World doing that was so far from the dark side in your opinion aside from say some of the more upbeat cutscenes that you compare it to Sonic Forces for?

The dialogue with the cast and especially Eggman, how he behaves during the boss, and just how... Lighthearted/soft the bosses themselves seem to be. They're not really serious, they're just kind of playing with you is the vibe I get, especially the Classic fight against Eggman.

Then there's Green Hill which is definitely playing it safe, kind of a "killing it softly" location as I've mentioned before, and the music as a whole, even during the avatar stages Park Avenue, just feels so far away from "dark" that it's hard to say Forces is any more-so than Lost World.

You had Eggman raging against a wall, talking about eating hearts or something, and pretending to die in a pit of lava... Forces has shown none of that yet.

I guess Lost World was actually darker when you think of that. The only legitimately "darker" thing in Forces right now are some bombs in a city and the "Infinite Edge" enemy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooo... thoughts:

Shadow, Chaos, and Metal are back. Cool!

Zavok is back. Ughhh...

This Infinite guy looks pretty badass. Kind of reminds me of IX from Chronicles. I approve.

Shadow and Chaos are villains again... ummm... maybe Classic Sonic being sent to the present removed him from the time stream, creating a timeline where the Adventure games never happened, so Shadow and Chaos never redeemed themselves. Though in that case Modern Sonic should cease to exist as well... I dunno, there had better be a damn good explanation for this, and it had better not be the new status quo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm right now thinking about how the villain brawls will play out, and if there are maybe more villains that weren't revealed. Will there be fights against each as all the three characters, or will say, only Custom hero battle Zavok. Speaking of Custom Hero, I'm now imagining what sort of Wispons I can use. I think a Rhythm Wispon would work like a sort of bouncing weapon that releases rapid projectiles that bounce off walls and enemies.

So the new villain is named "Infinity".

I guess that's what they meant by that "Fun is infinite" clue.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

There was a general lack of emotional resonance. Even when Sonic thinks all his friends are dead, he says something to the effect of "Aw, what happened to my buddies?" Kinda lame. 

He never says anything like that.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Kellan said:

So the new villain is named "Infinity".

I guess that's what they meant by that "Fun is infinite" clue.

Wait... Infinity?

I thought it was Infinite?

Which was it again? O_o

I've loved Sonic Forces ever since it was first announced. Finally, a new Sonic game that isn't scared to get a little dark!

I've lurked on some forums ever since it's announcement, and I think it's really sad that some people hate this game with such vehemence (which is fine) but that there doesn't seem to be anyone expressing passion for this, well, not who are vocal on these forums anyway. I've seen loads of excited Sonic fans elsewhere.

I think my opinion is that lore really does hold this franchise down at times. Who cares that Shadow turning dark contradicts lore. Who cares that Chaos coming back contradicts lore. I really think that seeing these cool characters again is good enough in itself. I really couldn't give two hoots to how this contradicts lore. You don't get this in other mascot platformers. You don't get Mario turning down the Koopa Kids because they were beaten in Mario World.

Shadow, Metal Sonic and Chaos are staple villains at this point, they are cool, and I want them to be back as villains. I'm really excited about this, damn the lore. When you get a game that plays loose with lore as Sonic does, I really think we should put gameplay and cool characters first.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The dialogue with the cast and especially Eggman, how he behaves during the boss, and just how... Lighthearted/soft the bosses themselves seem to be. They're not really serious, they're just kind of playing with you is the vibe I get, especially the Classic fight against Eggman.

Then there's Green Hill which is definitely playing it safe, kind of a "killing it softly" location as I've mentioned before, and the music as a whole, even during the avatar stages Park Avenue, just feels so far away from "dark" that it's hard to say Forces is any more-so than Lost World.

You had Eggman raging against a wall, talking about eating hearts or something, and pretending to die in a pit of lava... Forces has shown none of that yet.

I guess Lost World was actually darker when you think of that. The only legitimately "darker" thing in Forces right now are some bombs in a city and the "Infinite Edge" enemy.

And then again, SLW was revealed with only light stuff, and this with more or less only dark. We can expect even darker stuff later on maybe? 

But I agree that everything about Classic Sonic is way too cuddly and soft. Feels like they legitamately stuck something wrong in there with him. But the Dragoon jumpscare IMO is nice. 

Just now, Diogenes said:

He never says anything like that.

You're right. Here's what it was. He sulked, there was a sad moment, and then the next cutscene is "Ugh, I'm gettin tired'a you guys!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else feel Infinity is just a Sonic'd version of the inversed?

226px-Flood_KHBBS.png

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Maybe instead of constantly bemoaning the negativity, you could ignore it and talk about the things you like?

Kind of feels like you want to argue lol

We also don't need any backseat moderation in these instances.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

You're right. Here's what it was. He sulked, there was a sad moment, and then the next cutscene is "Ugh, I'm gettin tired'a you guys!"

Yeah, because he's Sonic the Hedgehog, and sulking all the time isn't his style.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Plasme said:

I think my opinion is that lore really does hold this franchise down at times. Who cares that Shadow turning dark contradicts lore. Who cares that Chaos coming back contradicts lore. I really think that seeing these cool characters again is good enough in itself. I really couldn't give two hoots to how this contradicts lore. You don't get this in other mascot platformers. You don't get Mario turning down the Koopa Kids because they were beaten in Mario World.

Good for you.

I for one like my games to at least to try to make some kind of sense instead of having characters turn heel more often than The Big Show does and the justification for it not being "because the script said so".

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Diogenes said:

Yeah, because he's Sonic the Hedgehog, and sulking all the time isn't his style.

Except maybe when everyone is dead? Dude, he just lost everything, and he goes back to snark. That's... that's like sociopathic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Is there a video clip of this? Would quite like to see this scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing this game's plot is missing is the Chaos emeralds. You know they've gotta be involved somehow, we haven't gotten plots this dumb since 06 and Shadow (thankfully this is at least going to be fun dumb, unlike those). So what are they gonna do?

Does Infinite absorb them? Does Sonic get stuck in a perma-super form halfway through the story? Do they have them as seemingly-optional distractions that you'll actually end up needing to get the full ending anyway so they might as well put them in the story in the first place? Do they melt all of them down and forge them into a dimension-killing sword?

Maybe they lose all their energy again. Is the world broken like in Sonic Unleashed?

Chaos is in his 0 form, he doesn't have them. Are we gonna convince Shadow and Chaos to come back to our side? Can we weaponize Perfect Chaos against Eggman?

Why does Sonic try to stop Eggman first all the time and just maybe get the emeralds along they way? Couldn't he just get all the emeralds at the start and super his way through the whole plot? He always ends up needing it anyway.

How many dumb uses for the Emeralds can I think of?

Can Knuckles absorb the Master Emerald, Piccolo-Kami Style? Does he turn green? That would be bad.

• Thumbs Up 1