Awoo.

Your favorite authors and creators

Klinsy

One of humanity's most interesting qualities is to make the non existent on our own world into something existing in a new world, we can create worlds like we are gods, our worlds may not be real, but very talented people can make people feel they are real, this is a topic about our favorite authors and  creators of various works, let's go into some of my favorites:

Rumiko Takahashi:

40140.jpg

One of the biggest names in manga and anime, known mostly for Inuyasha, Ranma-1/2 and Urusei Yatsura, her worlds are funny but charming with a lot of character concepts can be credited back to her, not bad for someone who only started making well known work in the 80's, Ranma is my personal favorite of her's, the characters are all very flawed but still very likeable and most of the mythos add up if you pay attention.

Shu Takumi:

latest?cb=20090825003430

A man able to make works over the top and down to Earth at the same time, he is able to make a ghost story that has a character say "Ha ha! I died again!" but still made the capability of us fear for her life, Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick have some of the best video game narratives I ever seen while still being fun to play, who said games don't need a story?

Guillermo DelToro

220px-Guillermo_del_Toro_by_Gage_Skidmor

A man who manged to have works that are very dark but still have a view of light in the end, he tends to make a lot of story about monsters, monsters we can fear and monsters we can sympathize, he is very well rounded in his work, his stories have many reoccurring themes   but they never feel like just him doing the same ole thing over and over, he has worked in both media for adults and children, yet is able to make them appeal to both of them ... uh, I wouldn't recommend showing a kid Pan's Labyrinth though

• Thumbs Up 3

Guillermo del Toro is one of my favourite filmmakers. Pacific Rim was fucking great, I love mechas and I love kaijus and this is the best of both worlds to me. And I have a soft spot for Blade 2 and Hellboy. It's really a shame that his work most of the time gets cancelled or doesn't turn out how he really wants to (Pacific Rim 2, the whole fiasco with Hellboy 3, the Silent Hill thing, to name a few).

Bookwise, Karen Traviss I love, she did various Star Wars books, including my favourite part of the entire Star Wars franchise with her Republic Commando series of books. I always loved the Clones more than the Jedi or the Dark Side, I can't tell you why exactly but there's something about them that just makes me love them. 

Fuck Disney with a passion for making all of her books non-canon. I fucking hate that decision to make everything from the expanded universe non-canon.

Hm... I have to mention Blizzard as a whole as a honorary mention if that counts. I'm not a big fan of the games themselves, but damn do I love me some Starcraft lore. The Protoss are badass, I love them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't read much personally. But in terms of what I do read (manga, light novels, comics stuff like that) my favorites would be Nisio Isin, creator of Faust, and the Monogatari franchise, two exceedingly bizarre light novels trite with pop culture references and long, drawn out conversations with an emphasis on meta humor.

Another writer of mine that I love would be Reiko Yoshida-writer of my first ever manga that wasn't Pokemon Adventures-Tokyo Mew Mew, Reiko has written for many shoujo anime, a genre of anime I love and probably will always love.

In terms of general people who inspire me and influence me, Mia Ikumi who also created Tokyo Mew Mew and did the artwork for it, was the first anime/manga person I was familiar with. Their work hold a special place in my heart.

Genndy Tartakofsy, creator of some of my favorite cartoon network shows, Samurai Jack and Sym-Bionic Titan, is a very talented veteran animator who has a knack for action shows.

Jhonen Vasquez is one of my favorite visual artists of all time, in fact I think he my favorite artist of all time. He has a twisted artstyle with equally twisted comics. His work was very popular in the 2000s and his art, featuring thick outlines and geometrical shapes, is exceedingly reminiscent with the atypical 2000s cartoon look. He also created my favorite Nickelodeon show, Invader Zim.

There's a lot of other authors and creators I love and inspire me but those are the ones who hold a special place in my heart and stick out to me as people who I look up to.

19 hours ago, Ariel the Blue Wisp said:

Fuck Disney with a passion for making all of her books non-canon. I fucking hate that decision to make everything from the expanded universe non-canon.

In order to produce new canon content that fits into the SW universe and lets filmmakers tell new stories without the restrictions and pre-conceptions imposed by a source book or comic, the EU pretty much had to go. I hated the decision at first too, I mean I read the whole New Jedi Order series and pretty much all of Timothy Zahn's works to boot - I was all kinds of invested in it. However, had they left the EU as being nominally canon, there could have been no new film trilogy and no stand-alone titles, only retreads of stories already told years ago in the books and comics - some of which were abysmal, some of which were legendarily good. For a Star Wars community demanding new cinematic material, that would never have gone over well.

While I still half expect Thrawn to show up in the movies or the next big SW TV show after Rebels, a cinematic Thrawn Trilogy would never be able to live up to the hype and pre-conceived expectations we'd all have going in.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Patticus said:

In order to produce new canon content that fits into the SW universe and lets filmmakers tell new stories without the restrictions and pre-conceptions imposed by a source book or comic, the EU pretty much had to go. I hated the decision at first too, I mean I read the whole New Jedi Order series and pretty much all of Timothy Zahn's works to boot - I was all kinds of invested in it. However, had they left the EU as being nominally canon, there could have been no new film trilogy and no stand-alone titles, only retreads of stories already told years ago in the books and comics - some of which were abysmal, some of which were legendarily good. For a Star Wars community demanding new cinematic material, that would never have gone over well.

While I still half expect Thrawn to show up in the movies or the next big SW TV show after Rebels, a cinematic Thrawn Trilogy would never be able to live up to the hype and pre-conceived expectations we'd all have going in.

I understand WHY they did it. The EU was a clusterfuck for a long time. Hell, stuff in the EU usually contradicted each other, but I am sad that they decided "welp everything's gone, into the trash it goes" and ditching everything at once instead of looking at it case by case. It would've taken years for sure but I'd rather it take years and keep something than taking 10 minutes to scrap nearly 40 years of expanded universe. 

I am terribly salty that the Republic Commando videogame and books are no longer canon. The heartbreaking moment of Boss, Scorch and Fixer having to leave their brother and squad member Sev on Kashyyyk in the videogame means jackshit after Disney trampled over the timeline. 

Gah.

i read a lot of books by various authors but some of my favorites are jodi picoult, ellen hopkins, and suzanne young. jodi picoult has a way with words and can describe scenes very well. ellen hopkins makes good books on sensitive topics which i like and appreciate, and suzanne young has good books and a good series about books that tackle tough subjects as well, but have a good twist to it.

some of my favorite movies are the disney movies lol. i love big hero 6, zootopia, the little mermaid, a bunch of disney movies. they're mostly geared towards "kids". but i still like them nonetheless. i also love dreamworks and pixar as well.