Awoo.

The General 'Murican Politics Thread

Tornado

43 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Education only works on people who actually want to understand how things work, people on the fence or people who're aware of how much bullshit fascism is in the first place; it's utterly useless on the death cultists and fascist fetishists that infest the Trump Administration, who have more or less decided they would rather burn everything to the ground to satiate their fragile egos than make any attempt at being a human being.

While there are definitely people like that in the right wing, the left wing isn't exactly pure either. There's a reason that people are using SJW and NPC as an insult.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

While there are definitely people like that in the right wing, the left wing isn't exactly pure either. There's a reason that people are using SJW and NPC as an insult.

Oh of course, the typical both sides are equally bad shtick. How original.

Look, no sane person on the left is going to deny that bad people on the left exist. We practically skewer them on a daily basis because we have standards, even if the typical right wing nut job likes to assume otherwise.

The key difference is that the right wing actively doesn't give a fuck if they have bad apples even as they claim to have the moral high ground, and oftentimes actively embrace it because they care more about hurting "the other people" than they do about living up to their supposed morals.

If I had to choose between dealing with an SJW or NPC (whatever the fuck that is) vs a Neo Nazi or White supremacist bigot who would probably be fine with having people of minorities like me lynched just for daring to exist, who the fuck do you think I'm going to prefer dealing with?

Just now, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Oh of course, the typical both sides are equally bad shtick. How original.

Uh huh and where did I say that the left was "equally as bad" as the right?

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Uh huh and where did I say that the left was "equally as bad" as the right?

You didn't. But the way you phrased it implied that you think that just pointing out that we have bad people somehow means that the right wing is not as bad as I say it is, or that it somehow exonerates the right wing for either explicitly embracing fascist and racist ideals that should have died in a ditch, or apathetically don't give a fuck and allow it to happen because it doesn't directly affect them.

Just now, SenEDDtor Missile said:

You didn't. But the way you phrased it implied that you think that just pointing out that we have bad people somehow means that the right wing is not as bad as I say it is, or that it somehow exonerates the right wing for either explicitly embracing fascist and racist ideals that should have died in a ditch, or apathetically don't give a fuck and allow it to happen because it doesn't directly affect them.

The problem is that the I don't really see the left wing acknowledging that is has some problematic amongst its group (not to say that the right wing isn't guilty of this either).

• 2 weeks later...

With Trump packing courts non-stop, should Democrats do the same if they take back the presidency?

Is there anything being done by anyone of note within the political sphere in attempt to reverse the Trump trans military ban? This just isn’t right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/upshot/home-ownership-nimby-bipartisan.html?module=inline

So Ben Carson finally had a good idea, and wanted to change federal housing policies so communities get funding cut if they don't get rid of tight zoning laws, veto power given to homeowners to block new development, etc. It's a policy in many urban areas that has strangled the ability to build new homes, which is why places like California are so ridiculously expensive (though I'm sure Carson and co. would claim it's the taxes, but it's actually a mix of taxes, market pressure, and wealthy people restricting housing). There's a bipartisan opposition to it... among well-to-do people.

This, folks, is why the victory of the left will not come from the suburbs. The urban and rural working classes must find their common ground and join forces to destroy an oppressive elite. Social justice and economic justice must go together for full effectiveness. Economic justice without social justice creates a welfare state where only the majority group is taken care of. Social justice without economic justice creates a system where there's still enormous poverty, but hey, at least half the world's richest people are women of color.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/upshot/2020-democrats-court-renters.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Meanwhile, Senators Warren, Harris, and Booker are all pushing for rent reform. Harris and Booker have introduced bills to create a tax credit for renters. You know the right is running scared now because Democrats are becoming more and more openly left on economics. Rent control. Free tuition. Universal healthcare.

See the prior paragraph though. For left populism to win, it's going to need a strong base of rural supporters in order to get the necessary Senate seats. Democrats would do well to really target red states for left wing ballot initiatives. When there's no R or D on a choice, "conservative" voters are very good at passing things like universal healthcare or raising the minimum wage. And as red state voters put these things into practice, Republican politicians will feel the squeeze and be crazy to vote against them.

Well fuck. Rod Rosenstein, Mueller’s boss during the bulk of the investigation, is apparently complicit in helping Trump covering up Mueller’s investigation. He apparently told Trump that he wouldn’t be a target and that he was on Hair Fuhrer’s side. The entire investigation was compromised from the start.

Im fully aware I’m linking to a reddit post, but there’s a Washington Post linked in it and the apparent full speech made by Rosenstein regarding this in it.

Trump is out praising Robert E. Lee again.

Remember, any time someone praises Lee or the Confederacy's officers, ask them about General Longstreet.

The fact they either don't know who he is, or assume he's the reason Lee lost, will serve to confirm the racist background of the neo-Confederate movement.

For the record, General Longstreet joined the Republican Party (the Party of the North at the time) post-war, supported Reconstruction, and led a black militia against a white supremacist mob on top of it. If there is any Confederate officer deserving of praise, it would be him. But of course, he receives practically none.

Goes to show what neo-Confederate thinking is really about.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/4/25/1853070/-Trump-administration-ready-to-roll-back-transgender-reproductive-health-protections

Everytime I think they can’t sink any lower, the Trump Mafia only keeps on finding a way to make me despise them even more. I can openly say that this is probably one of the most evil group of humans in recent history.

And people still have the gall to think we should try to reconcile with these fascists?!

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/politics/bill-weld-2020-trump/index.html

While the Democratic camp is currently overrun by opportunists, the Republican camp just got interesting. Former Massachusetts Governor Bill Weld has announced he will be running for the Presidency on the GOP ticket, making him Trump's first primary challenger.

Weld is a more libertarian flavor of Republican, having been consistently pro-choice, pro-marijuana legalization and pro-LGBT, while being fiscally conservative. He is confident he could take the nomination with support from independents. As a cherry on top, were Weld to become President, he would steal Trump's title of being the oldest inaugurated President, being 75 on Inauguration Day.

Weld realistically has a tough primary ahead of him as most conservatives solidly back Trump, and no President has been outvoted in the primaries since the 1880s. But he could still give Trump a tough time if he draws in independent votes, and Presidents who face a tough primary have good odds of losing re-election, as happened with Ford, Carter, and H.W. Bush.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/8/1856235/-Trump-declares-entire-Mueller-report-and-all-associated-materials-protected-by-executive-privilege?detail

Can we fucking do anything to this orange gorilla?! Why do we keep on insisting on “patience and civility” in the face of someone who is THE MOST BLATANT FUCKING DICTATOR WANNABE  EVER!?

Sorry for coming here, I think US people have probably heard of this enough to get to the saturation point, but;

Your foreign minister is kind of rude.

He comes to the Arctic Council meeting and starts to agitate about how other big countries are such a threat to the US and all.

The thing is, it's pretty inappropriate, conidering the fact Arctic Council isn't really about talking stuff like that, it's more about talking about the arctic nature and preserving the arctic areas as far as I know anything. Without this kind of tension around, more as something neutral you know. The fact they couldn't even get the final declaration kind of thingy out because of this stuff is pretty sad.

And it isn't about just the Arctic Council; it's like every panel and council exists just for the reason that the US government can tell how everybody's a threat to them, while they seem to like to distance themselves from NATO, which I suppose it's around partly for defensive measurements against threats, like, if they need to continuously agitate Europe to do stuff with them against other countries, why they keep distancing themselves from NATO?

From my point of view this looks pretty sad. Europe has problems enough as it is, this kind of stuff is just so confusing, like, what do they want? And could they please actually try to act less like roughnecks and more like context-understanding people? It wouldn't be so big of a problem if US wouldn't always start to do something big from time to time only to withdraw into their shell after a while and leave the mess outside.

And, if you know, the US wouldn't be so darn huge a country in so many aspects. It's like, even when US won't do anything it still affects to others. It's sad but in that kind of situations it would be really appreciated if that kind of country would have people that'd try to act a bit more... thoughtfully I suppose.

Sorry, just wanted to get this out of my chest. Btw, I'm not sure your average US leftist would even be considered as a leftist around here... 😊

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/443715-maine-senate-passes-bill-that-would-give-electoral-college-votes-to

So in the span of a month, three states - Nevada, Oregon, and Maine - have all passed the National Popular Vote Compact in one house of their legislatures.

Holy crap, this might actually happen before the 2020 election.

Ten bucks says the Supreme Court decides to "stay" the legislation though.

Even though the Constitution is VERY clear states can do whatever they want with their electoral votes.

• Thumbs Up 1

It will be very interesting to see if the GOP will tear itself in half for once after the Amash impeachment calls. It seems like they are trying to throw up the wall they usually do whenever someone breaks rank, but Romney in particular seems to have given it more credence than he probably intended with his response to it.

Amash apparently breaks rank regularly, so his colleagues really shouldn't be surprised. He may be a piece of shit libertarian, but he's a principled piece of shit libertarian, and his analysis of the Mueller Report is spot on. He was the only Republican who actually used his time during the Cohen hearings to actually ask him relevant questions rather than grandstand about nonsense bullshit.

What happens next is gonna be the fun part. Amash is from Michigan, in a seat that isn't solidly red, so anyone trying to challenge him from the right might honestly be making it harder for themselves to retain that seat for the GOP if they somehow win the primary.

So this probably is of most interest to a gaming-focused forum like this, so... The text of the anti-loot box bill proposed by Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO) is available online. It is being co-sponsored by two Democrats.

This could be tightened up just a little, but analysis so far basically confirms that this bill, if it passes, will basically kill loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions outright. The intent is to prevent exposure of loot boxes to kids, but in practice it'll force games with loot boxes to have an adults-only rating, which is a kiss of death for games outside of Steam these days - when push comes to shove, I expect that devs and pubs will junk loot boxes and P2W stuff rather than risk losing a big chunk of their audience. 

If this passes, this will basically force a fuckton of games, especially most of the free-to-play market, to completely change their monetization strategies. Asia-only games will continue to have gacha and such until Japan follows the US' lead.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/24/1860113/-Donald-Trump-is-reminded-that-treason-carries-a-death-penalty-immediately-offers-up-list-of-names?

im only further convinced this “list” of his is going to include everyone on the left wing, and his cult will probably gleefully want to fulfill their God Emperor’s desires.

How much more of this madman do we need to see before people realizes he's going to leave the USA in complete ruin?

19 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/5/24/1860113/-Donald-Trump-is-reminded-that-treason-carries-a-death-penalty-immediately-offers-up-list-of-names?

im only further convinced this “list” of his is going to include everyone on the left wing, and his cult will probably gleefully want to fulfill their God Emperor’s desires.

How much more of this madman do we need to see before people realizes he's going to leave the USA in complete ruin?

We should impeach this Cheeto so we can get President Pence and the Iran War can really kick off. #resist #AmericaIsAlreadyGreat

So I found this thread about trump's worsening dementia, there's a post of trump failing to pronounce a hard C, has this sort of slurring by omission become commonplace?  I hate listening to him talk, so I wouldn't know.  

On 3/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, RedFox99 said:

"NPC" Is just repackaging "Sheeple" and pretending it's clever.  As for SJW, why are you giving your opposition the title of "Warrior"?