Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

The scenes at the beginning of the trailer were cool. Plain and simple. I can only think that anyone looking at that and thinking it was grimdark must have had parents who kept them from watching Toonami as a child or something. 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Last I checked, most people either enjoyed or downright loved Generations. So why is everyone so upset about having modern and classic Sonic teaming up again? Personally, I'm pumped! Viva la resistance!

Yeah, I don't really get why people are upset over the only modern game in 2010's to actually get a lot of praise over a kinda sequel. Might be Adventure fans wanting their game that's essentially a meme at this point. Would have really liked to see some gameplay though.

It's also kind of irritating that even with the trailer we still have no idea what the fuck this is.

Another boost game with 2D levels like Gens? Or is it something new?

I dunno, Maybe I'll warm up to it when there's gameplay but I'm not feeling this yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

"Join the Resistance," I'm thinking either Sonic has royally screwed up again or Eggman finally got his shit together for once and is being serious. The context is highly interesting.

I like the idea of Modern Sonic having screwed up and he has to enlist Classic Sonic to help him save the day. 

I hope Eggman, just Modern Eggman is behind the chaos. I don't want the same old "Eggman tried to take control/manipulate another bad guy who then double-crosses Eggman and then Sonic and Eggman team up to take ihim down." Lets just have Sonic (and hopefully Tails's) take on Eggman in an epic showown with a serious not over the top theme.

This game needs to flow properly this time, i.e from stage to stage. Not the messy stage to annoying side missions to boss fights which we got in Gens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Komaru Naegi said:

Yeah, I don't really get why people are upset over the only modern game in 2010's to actually get a lot of praise over a kinda sequel.

Some good things don't need to happen more than once. Classic Sonic was cool in Generations but his presence here feels unneeded.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do have to say that I am kinda surprised that people are telling Classic Sonic to stay out. Not that I don't sympathize with why they feel that way, but I wasn't expecting that at all. :lol:

Now as I rewatch the trailer, I'm getting more disappointed (but no less interested) in it'll more than likely be a boostfest again. fair enough it was a success, and that can at least help Sonic get back on his feet, but I would like more space and flexibility to move around. I just hope I'm wrong, but it won't be as big a dealbreaker as much as I'd rather they do something more.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly have no issue with Classic Sonic showing up; he caused more confusion than anything to me, seeing as Iizuka said this wasn't a sequel.

Anyway, I'm actually quite intrigued with this new game. Just what has Eggman done to gain the upper hand here?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Komaru Naegi said:

Yeah, I don't really get why people are upset over the only modern game in 2010's to actually get a lot of praise over a kinda sequel. Might be Adventure fans wanting their game that's essentially a meme at this point. Would have really liked to see some gameplay though.

Thats not the idea. This was made before. Also, we had another Classic Sonic game announced so its basically one and a half Classic Sonic and only a half of Modern Sonic. It shows lack of creativity. Is every anniversary game gonna be a Generations sequel?

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I do have to say that I am kinda surprised that people are telling Classic Sonic to stay out. Not that I don't sympathize with why they feel that way, but I wasn't expecting that at all. :lol:

Now as I rewatch the trailer, I'm getting more disappointed (but no less interested) in it'll more than likely be a boostfest again. fair enough it was a success, and that can at least help Sonic get back on his feet, but I would like more space and flexibility to move around. I just hope I'm wrong, but it won't be as big a dealbreaker as much as I'd rather they do something more.

Basically Sonic Team tried stepping out their comfort zone with SLW, everyone hated it and now it's back to what they do best most likely, shame because 3D Sonic can be so much more then that, not that I'll hold it against them since it's at least been 5 years since we had the boost 

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Consider that Modern is the only version of Sonic that has to share the spotlight with Classic, when him and his boom counterpart all got their own showings. 

Its hard not to feel Modern Sonic got kinda slighted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Soniman said:

Basically Sonic Team tried stepping out their comfort zone with SLW, everyone hated it and now it's back to what they do best most likely, Shane because 3D Sonic can be so much more then that 

Pretty much. Bright side to this is that them being in their comfort zone won't ruin things as much as it did when they experimented in the past.

...that didn't exactly come out right, did it?

3 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Thats not the idea. This was made before. Also, we had another Classic Sonic game announced so its basically one and a half Classic Sonic and only a half of Modern Sonic. It shows lack of creativity. Is every anniversary game gonna be a Generations sequel?

I hope so, the last Sonic game we got with Sonic on his own was Sonic Lost World and that game was absolutely terrific. I was really thrown off by Classic Sonic too but I'll give it a shot, a sequel to the best recieved modern Sonic game? I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Komaru Naegi said:

There have been plenty of reasonable posts in this thread explaining why. Most of which haven't mentioned a thing about wanting an Adventure 3 either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well....it looks really cool! I'm kind of glad they're using the Generations guys, though I can't really say more besides that since they didn't show any gameplay. I'm only disappointed that they're using Classic Sonic again as a crutch for Modern Sonic. Hopefully, it turns out great in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

We're probably not going to get gameplay for a while. Sonic Generations had it's gameplay footage shown quickly after it's teaser because the game was going to come out in around 7 months.

This game is going to come out after a little less than a year and a half. :/ I'd say it'll be at least a month, maybe two, before we get gameplay footage.

In regards to Classic Sonic...yeah, I would have preferred Knuckles & Tails. Or Blaze. Or Shadow. Or make this a grand reunion of all his friends.

But ultimately Sonic Generations is my 3rd favorite Sonic game and to have that style applied to brand new levels with a dark story is still really exciting to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to both this and Sonic Mania.

The tone of the trailer doesn't bother me at all. As long as it doesn't go to the lengths of Shadow the Hedgehog, darker tones don't hurt Sonic games and has been done in the series before. And those moments are some of my favorites and still brings me back to play even some of the more dated 3D Sonic games. So I say, bring it on. Plus that all the trailer had was a dark tone. Unless I'm missing clips of cartoon anthropomorphic skulls getting stomped on by Egg Pawns, I wouldn't really call it grimdark. At least, nowhere enough for it to be concerning.

I agree with some people here. Given the tone of the trailer, I think the game story's dealing with Eggman finally conquering the world, and now Sonic forms a resistance to beat him. Don't quote me on that, but I keep leaning to this every time I look at it. 

They're not calling it Generations 2, but instead a whole new thing so I'll see it as such. However, I definitely won't fault anyone labeling it with that name since we only have a teaser trailer and Classic Sonic is back. The levels were fine in Generations, and I enjoyed him speaking through body language. But to honest, the tone of the trailer is the only reason I'm fine with him coming back. It at least makes me feel like there will be an actual story here, unlike Generations. I want this game to give me an actual reason to give a shit that these two are working together other than, "Woo! I'm a fan!". You can give me that, then I'll accept it. Otherwise, I had my era clash fill already.

Gameplay wise, I'm fine with boost gameplay. However, I don't want the parkour system from Lost World to just up and vanish. I really do think that there's potential in that mechanic and would love to see it utilized better. That being said, I'm looking at that trailer, and it really seems to point at the boost mechanic coming back. What with mentioning Sonic Colors and Generations. For all I know, the gameplay can be a big melting pot for Modern Sonic and take the best elements of all different mechanics and make something awesome. Or it could be something brand new.

I can't say what's going on here. Again, Iizuka said that this isn't a sequel. So unless he's squeaking out of his cheeks, something unique has to be here. And it has to be enough to differentiate it from Generations. So we shall see. The game isn't slated to come out until late next year and I am interested to see where this goes. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Soniman said:

...since it's at least been 5 years since we had the boost 

5 years and only 2 games have came out since then, we're treading upwards to exactly 6 years. One could quite possibly say that it's too soon. But who knows, maybe Modern Sonic will be slowed down a considerable amount.

Now that I think about it, they are bringing Boost back. They are going BACK to a playstyle. Not moving on to a new one from Parkour. That's certainly different.

Ok, someone needs to help me out here because I've been looking at this trailer for a while and I'm not seeing Spagonia here.

sonic_2017_ow_dorado_comparison.png

Hell, it sort of looks like a destroyed and burning Dorado (from Overwatch) to me.

Dorado_005.jpg

I don't know, I might be crazy here but that's what I'm seeing here. If this is a new level entirely then the whole Gens 2 theory losses a lot of weight...

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm honestly disappointed with how they keep using Classic Sonic as Modern Sonic's crutch. It's as if Modern Sonic can't do good without something classic-esque in the game.

Hopefully, the trailer's tone is actually what's going to be in the next Sonic game. I'll just call it Sonic Resistance. Cool?

• Thumbs Up 1