Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Looking back over the last few pages. The hate towards Pontac and Graff feels a bit overstated. At least in comparison to other games in the series, when was the last time we as a fanbase saw a well written story in a Sonic game? 

Because the Adventure games certainly weren't up to scratch either. Cringey and they kept contradicting themselves, especially Adventure 2.

Personally I'd like to see the Boom cartoon writers have a go at the main games, or someone from the Archie comics. Someone different.

To reiterate, have not seen a good story in a Sonic game since before the Adventure games, heck I'd go as far as to say S3K is the pinnacle of storytelling in the franchise thus far.

They just don't want a comedic focus...tis all. That's actually not negative, as one would say. So, getting something around Adventure's tone would be the most pleasing.

Also 3 games from around 2007, 2008, and 2009 are seen as having decent stories of Sonic the Hedgehog, the games that people actually think about, not Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can someone please clarify something for me, because I'm rather confused.

Over the last few pages, regarding Forces I've seen phrases like 'Generations with character creator' and 'it's Generations 2' thrown around disparagingly, as though these are suddenly bad qualities.

Am I missing something? Last I checked, Generations was a good game. Or have we all succumbed to such a stubborn sense of purity that anything which isn't exactly what we want must be ruthlessly spat upon?

And for the record, there's a lot of whining about Forces being demonstrative of SEGA not presenting a 'consistent identity for the franchise.' Which is odd, because save for Lost World, the boost gameplay has been a mainstay since 2008. The boost gameplay is a solid identity. That is what people associate the franchise with now, that's what does well critically, that's what sells, ergo that's what they're sticking with.

You not liking a consistent style =/= it not being a consistent style.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Am I missing something? Last I checked, Generations was a good game.

Even if everybody here could agree on that, the bigger problem is that they don't seem to actually be sparing any effort to polish what's there and fix what flaws there are in the process. Even on a glance, Forces hasn't done that. In fact, in many areas it's actually visibly worse, especially where level design is concerned. The wait between games has only made that more jarring - sometimes you could play off certain screwups as Sonic Team needing to rush out games on an annual basis, but Forces has been in production so long that there's really no excuse for this at all.

9 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

And for the record, there's a lot of whining about Forces being demonstrative of SEGA not presenting a 'consistent identity for the franchise.' Which is odd, because save for Lost World, the boost gameplay has been a mainstay since 2008. The boost gameplay is a solid identity. That is what people associate the franchise with now, that's what does well critically, that's what sells, ergo that's what they're sticking with.

And yet rather than letting that sell itself, Sega instead wants to cram in another two completely unrelated playstyles in a vain, utterly shameless attempt to pander to as many audiences as possible. You can't downplay the existence of the CaC (or Classic Sonic for that matter) in this game as though they're either intergral to the Boost identity in of itself or additions so minor that they have virtually no bearing on it, because by all accounts they take up an entire third of the game each. For that matter, how often has any Boost game been consistent all the way through? The only two games that rely on boost gameplay alone are Rush (which you might recognize as the game that invented it) and Colours (and even then, it plays second fiddle to Wisps most of the time). There are Adventure era games that are less discordant than this, and that's really saying something.

Using one gameplay style a lot does not actually mean there's any measure of consistency surrounding the way they use it. The way they have used it tends to indicate that Sega has no confidence in their ability to make a full game based around the boost anymore, which is very telling when you think about it.

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I don't know why some people assume that anyone desiring a return to an "Adventure-style" story is asking for the flaws to be brought back with it.

We want it done well.

I'm more referring to the people who wrote the stories back then, not specifically the style to fully clarify my previous message. The Adventure games weren't as serious as later games like Sonic '06, but not as incredibly cringeworthy as Colours or Lost World.

It achieved a decent medium, although I could argue Adventure 2 was a bit too serious at times for my liking.

My opinion on their story writing quality does still stand though. This question may be subjective to some, but when was the last time a Sonic game was written well? 

51 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

Over the last few pages, regarding Forces I've seen phrases like 'Generations with character creator' and 'it's Generations 2' thrown around disparagingly, as though these are suddenly bad qualities.

Am I missing something? Last I checked, Generations was a good game. Or have we all succumbed to such a stubborn sense of purity that anything which isn't exactly what we want must be ruthlessly spat upon?

Here's my issue with it and I know i've pretty much annoyed everybody to death with this but when the game was first announced last year Iizuka said that it's not a sequel but a brand new experience. But with Classic and Modern teaming up again and playing similar to how they did in their last adventure and the return of Green Hill Zone all the signs pretty much contradicted what he said about it being a new experience. 

• Thumbs Up 5

11 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Here's my issue with it and I know i've pretty much annoyed everybody to death with this but when the game was first announced last year Iizuka said that it's not a sequel but a brand new experience. But with Classic and Modern teaming up again and playing similar to how they did in their last adventure and the return of Green Hill Zone all the signs pretty much contradicted what he said about it being a new experience. 

I think he was referring to the character creator.

16 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I think he was referring to the character creator.

I wasn't. I'm taking issue with the fact people seem to have suddenly retroactively decided Generations was a bad game, and thus Forces being like it is sufficient reason that it's going to be crap.

This exact same kind of rubbish plagues the Zelda fanbase. Every time a new one comes out, everyone magically forgets whatever undue praise they heaped on the previous instalment and brands it terrible. It's petty and tremendously irritating.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, RLS Legacy said:

Actually it's because I never thought Generations was a good game. It showed a basic level of competence above the worst Sonic games, but it was still incredibly shallow. In a healthy series, a game like Gens would've been a low point; it was only "the best Sonic game in years!" because the competition was so poor.

Even for people who liked Gens, though, unless they thought it was utterly spectacular and nearly perfect, what we've seen is really disappointing. A series should build on itself, refining and polishing its mechanics and trying out new ideas to expand what it can do. Forces has shown no interest in that at all, we've seen no substantial changes to either Modern or Classic's gameplay, and if anything the level design has regressed to an even more shallow form. Instead it seems whatever creative effort Sonic Team had went into the (presumably) one-time gimmick of a character creator.

1 hour ago, RLS Legacy said:

Consistent bad style doesn't do us any good. It should be obvious that no one is arguing for a consistent style that they think wouldn't be good for the series.

Plus only about a third of this game is boost gameplay anyway. How much of a consistent style can it be if it's constantly padded with gimmicks like Classic Sonic and the custom character?

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

I wasn't. I'm taking issue with the fact people seem to have suddenly retroactively decided Generations was a bad game, and thus Forces being like it is sufficient reason that it's going to be crap.

This exact same kind of rubbish plagues the Zelda fanbase. Every time a new one comes out, everyone magically forgets whatever undue praise they heaped on the previous instalment and brands it terrible. It's petty and tremendously irritating.

Read the thread and you'd realise that there's a lot more nuance to it than that. It's been 6 years since Generations. Sometimes games, especially shallow ones, don't exactly hold up. Sometimes we like it but realize we don't really want more of it. There are plenty who never really liked Gens to begin with and was hoping for something else. That's putting aside all the indications that Forces looks like a worse version of Gens, even.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Pawn said:

I don't know why some people assume that anyone desiring a return to an "Adventure-style" story is asking for the flaws to be brought back with it.

We want it done well.

I think its probably due to the limited presentation and repetitive cutscenes as well that strays people away from the stories.(They did also turn Super Sonic into a last story gimmick only that would go on till Colors).

If those issues were resolved as well as the story being more cohesive at balancing light and dark elements, fewer people would complain.

34 minutes ago, Josh said:

Read the thread and you'd realise that there's a lot more nuance to it than that. It's been 6 years since Generations. Sometimes games, especially shallow ones, don't exactly hold up. Sometimes we like it but realize we don't really want more of it. There are plenty who never really liked Gens to begin with and was hoping for something else. That's putting aside all the indications that Forces looks like a worse version of Gens, even.

On the other hand, it's been six years since many Sonic fans have been calling for a sequel to Sonic Generations. Nothing in 2012 was fair enough; we got the awesome arcade racer in S&SRT. However, a direct sequel to Sonic Generations was widely assumed to be the logical next step for the Sonic franchise, after the success of the original game. Just because there have been some notable missteps along the way doesn't diminish the importance of making that long awaited sequel to Sonic Generations. Now finally we have that sequel in Sonic Forces, which still maintains the core classic and modern gameplay that was so well-received but also has the attention grabbing character creator to keep things fresh.

I think Generations was a pretty game with great music but was ultimately the cheapest experience I've ever had in this franchise...

Since it was reported and I honestly didn't catch it the first time:

14 hours ago, Kintor said:

Anyway, if it’s such an issue, I apologise for the remarks I made when you started using the term 'fetish material' in relation to any aspect of Sonic fan OCs.

Take this non-apology and shove it. You've been intent on disingenuously misinterpreting and stereotyping everyone in this thread who doesn't like the ideas of Forces, and you need to understand how absolutely no one appreciates it. It is only the rest of the staff holding me back from striking you on the spot for everything you've done in this thread, so count your lucky stars, consider this your last warning, and learn how to actually hold a sincere conversation if you care for your account's standing. If you've got a problem with this, bring it up to me in PMs.

• Thumbs Up 9

29 minutes ago, OcelotBot said:

@GeneHF you're such a tease.

Watch as it's just background noise from footage they took on a trip to Park Avenue in New York.

I was thinking a bit about the character creator, and I figured I'd make a video elaborating on my thoughts behind Forces featuring a character creation tool, player creation tools in video games, and the system's potential within Sonic Forces. Check it out, and let me know what you think:

• Thumbs Up 6