Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

We still don't know the specs of the trailer. If it's pre-rendered, it's not indicative of anything because it's just a movie file at that point. If it's partly or wholly in-engine, then it might give us some sort of idea. Granted, we don't know anything about the NX so it could still be significantly pared down in the long run anyway.

11 minutes ago, Ajavalo said:

Hey, this just sprung to my mind:

Isn't the Project 2017 trailer our first ever confirmation (or first strong, reliable hint, if you will) that the NX will likely be a pretty powerful console? Of course, they haven't said anything about this game having a handheld version, but...

Well, the point is that most of rumors point for NX being a half portable system. And there are no news about new Dimps game.

But what we now for (nearly) sure, is that NX will be relesed in spring 2017, so Big N will probably show us what this console is exectly shortly (hopefully). So we have to brace ourselfs in patience and wait. Or look towards more news on Sonic Mania, thats also an option...

Plus, the trailer might not even be a scene from the NX version to begin with.  History indicates that there doesn't need to be graphical (or even gameplay) consistency between all major console versions of the game.

I would be surprised if they pull another Unleashed and make two wildly different games under the same name. Though all this really tells us is that the NX is going to be at least comparable to the PS4 and 'bone, which is not really surprising.

• Thumbs Up 1

^That's more or less what I meant. I didn't say it because of the footage shown in the trailer, but rather because of the fact the NX is getting a likely top-notch, AAA game. By "pretty powerful" I was referring to at least around PS4 quality.

But, of course, we still don't know if the game will indeed be something Unleashed level of ambitious, or if it'll come with a watered down/handheld version.

1 minute ago, Ajavalo said:

^That's more or less what I meant. I didn't say it because of the footage shown in the trailer, but rather because of the fact the NX is getting a likely top-notch, AAA game. By "pretty powerful" I was referring to at least around PS4 quality.

But, of course, we still don't know if the game will indeed be something Unleashed level of ambitious, or if it'll come with a watered down/handheld version.

It doesn't mean anything. the nx could just get a shitty version with the only thing changes being textures and models. Like the ps3 version of MGS5. It tells us absolutely nothing about the console.

23 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I would be surprised if they pull another Unleashed and make two wildly different games under the same name. Though all this really tells us is that the NX is going to be at least comparable to the PS4 and 'bone, which is not really surprising.

While I don't know the actual likelihood of it being nearly as different in terms of level design and structure as the different versions of Unleashed were, that doesn't mean the NX still couldn't be a comparatively watered down version with considerably less content.  Not saying that will be the case, but wouldn't surprise me either way.

On 29/07/2016 at 2:17 AM, Sami said:

Sonic cutscene CG hasn't looked that good since Unleashed anyway.

That said, the Project 2017 model doesn't look as good as his Sonic Lost World model, either. However It does strike me as excessively polyd for a gameplay model, perhaps they have a "third" set of models for real-time cutscenes. Or I might just be out-of-touch with current-gen graphics.

Why they wouldn't use fully fledged CG for the teaser strikes me as odd though, I guess it's not like it's a major part of the game's story, but I'd have thought they'd want to make the best first  impression they could offer.

50 minutes ago, Green Eyes said:

Sonic cutscene CG hasn't looked that good since Unleashed anyway.

That said, the Project 2017 model doesn't look as good as his Sonic Lost World model, either. However It does strike me as excessively polyd for a gameplay model, perhaps they have a "third" set of models for real-time cutscenes. Or I might just be out-of-touch with current-gen graphics.

Why they wouldn't use fully fledged CG for the teaser strikes me as odd though, I guess it's not like it's a major part of the game's story, but I'd have thought they'd want to make the best first  impression they could offer.

*Sega running out of budget*
But, being serious here... It looks in-game, but at the same time it has some stuff that shows that it was animated separately, like Classic Sonic breaking the rock into small detailed pieces and the trailer having a CG feel. Also, I must point out that the Classic Sonic model they used is the CG one, not the in-game Generations one. Which is pretty interesting to see. Maybe we will get it in gameplay, considering we are now on a totally different level of console compared to Xbox 360/PS3. I don't get why they went with inferior graphics for the big reveal... Maybe they are trying to set the expectations low for the next reveal and then show something grand? That wouldn't make much sense... But, to be honest, the Generations CG didn't look that great either... Although it definitely looked better than this. 
(Side Comment: Sonic Unleashed CG was beautiful. Gotta look up who did it.)

52 minutes ago, nikfan said:

*Sega running out of budget*
But, being serious here... It looks in-game, but at the same time it has some stuff that shows that it was animated separately, like Classic Sonic breaking the rock into small detailed pieces and the trailer having a CG feel. Also, I must point out that the Classic Sonic model they used is the CG one, not the in-game Generations one. Which is pretty interesting to see. Maybe we will get it in gameplay, considering we are now on a totally different level of console compared to Xbox 360/PS3. I don't get why they went with inferior graphics for the big reveal... Maybe they are trying to set the expectations low for the next reveal and then show something grand? That wouldn't make much sense... But, to be honest, the Generations CG didn't look that great either... Although it definitely looked better than this. 
(Side Comment: Sonic Unleashed CG was beautiful. Gotta look up who did it.)

Unleashed CG was done by Marza as well, same people who do the CG in everything else related to main series Sonic. They just had a much bigger budget for that game. It's also the only Sonic game that had an "epic" tone to it in the past few years, so I think that factors into why they went the extra mile with graphics and presentation there.

Personally, I do think this trailer is mostly in-engine graphics. I thought it from the moment I saw it. Though I definitely think certain areas were touched up with CG.

• Thumbs Up 1

It could be an in-engine pre-rendered cutscene. I.e not quite as good as properly produced CGI, but better than the in-game graphics.

Also, I'd prefer the game stay at 60fps all the time with no dips. I'd take slightly lower IQ on the chin for the sake of excellent performance.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd prefer a smooth 30 fps that produces good visuals. If NX rumors we're seeing now are true, I think 1080p PS4, 900p XB1, and 720p NX versions of the game are likely. But we don't have enough info.

Since I'm not likely to get a new game console anytime soon, I'm just praying the optimization for PC is better than Gens PC.  Please god. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Tara said:

Since I'm not likely to get a new game console anytime soon, I'm just praying the optimization for PC is better than Gens PC.  Please god. ;_;

Don't worry, this time they'll make it so that you'll need a United Nations level computer instead of a NASA level PC

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Auto said:

Don't worry, this time they'll make it so that you'll need a United Nations level computer instead of a NASA level PC

Knowing my luck, they would.  They fucking would. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 3

Wait, people have problems running Generations? It's definitely not a great PC port, but it doesn't require a lot to run.

I can run it on my laptop at a mostly consistent 60 FPS, even when running the Unleashed FxPipeline Renderer and Unleashed Sonic Model mods. As well as forcing heavier Anti-Aliasing and stuff. My laptop has good specs but they aren't amazing.

Lost World's PC port is the one that gives me immense problems. Still haven't even completed it on PC because of it. At least I have the Wii U version, though.

You can run FxPipeline at 60 fps but Lost World gives you issues? And people wonder why PC gaming's seen as semi-niche. Im not against it either, but shit...

Generations is KNOWN for having poor PC optimization.  It doesn't seem to matter what your actual specs in terms of technical capability as much as it just works better for some than others.  On the lowest graphical settings, Green Hill Zone runs perfectly smooth with no problems, Chemical Plant is absolutely awful, and the rest of the game tends to teeter on good to slideshow quality framerate.  Meanwhile, turning the graphics down a little in Lost World offers almost Wii U levels of performance.

3 minutes ago, Auto said:

You can run FxPipeline at 60 fps but Lost World gives you issues? And people wonder why PC gaming's seen as semi-niche. Im not against it either, but shit...

Lost World should technically run just fine on my laptop since the requirements are much lower than Generations, but the game apparently hates NVIDIA Optimus, which my laptop happens to use. Lost World absolutely refuses to use my NVIDIA Graphics card even when I force it too, and instead uses my integrated Intel card.

The game initially ran at 60 FPS for me, but everything except 2D particle effects were in slow motion for some reason. Then an update happened that allowed you to give the game some special launch commands, and I did one of them, but now the game runs at a poor framerate no matter what the graphics are set to. I also get a lot of weird bugs, because the game logic is apparently tied to the frame-rate. For example, it took me ages to get by Desert Ruins 4 because Zomom kept freezing in place during one of his attack animations, making him completely invincible and impossible to attack.

I gave up on it after a while, haven't touched the game since that stuff started happening.

The Generations port definitely is poor as well and I've had my issues, but it's nothing compared to what I've experienced with Lost World.

Oh and SA2B on Steam doesn't work for me anymore either. It used to, but now it freezes after the intro.

I guess like someone pointed out, Marza's working on the upcoming Sonic film, which might have put Project 2017's CGI as a lower priority.

It does make me wonder a little bit why they don't just reuse assets though,at least for the character models, I guess they'd look out of place? You could get away with characters looking a little different/higher quality than the environment though. Maybe if they have characters they need to produce models for, they wouldn't be able to do it.

As a side note I think with different bump map and specularity, Project 2017 Sonic could pop a little more :B

8 hours ago, Tara said:

Generations is KNOWN for having poor PC optimization.  It doesn't seem to matter what your actual specs in terms of technical capability as much as it just works better for some than others.  On the lowest graphical settings, Green Hill Zone runs perfectly smooth with no problems, Chemical Plant is absolutely awful, and the rest of the game tends to teeter on good to slideshow quality framerate.  Meanwhile, turning the graphics down a little in Lost World offers almost Wii U levels of performance.

The problem with Generations is that requires a decent CPU to avoid performance issues, I personally never have performance issues and even used an older card like the HD 6870.

I hope Sega concentrate on getting 60fps on all consoles, frankly try to play on consoles is was a punishment with that horrendous framerates.

8 hours ago, ChikoLad said:

Lost World should technically run just fine on my laptop since the requirements are much lower than Generations, but the game apparently hates NVIDIA Optimus, which my laptop happens to use. Lost World absolutely refuses to use my NVIDIA Graphics card even when I force it too, and instead uses my integrated Intel card.

The game initially ran at 60 FPS for me, but everything except 2D particle effects were in slow motion for some reason. Then an update happened that allowed you to give the game some special launch commands, and I did one of them, but now the game runs at a poor framerate no matter what the graphics are set to. I also get a lot of weird bugs, because the game logic is apparently tied to the frame-rate. For example, it took me ages to get by Desert Ruins 4 because Zomom kept freezing in place during one of his attack animations, making him completely invincible and impossible to attack.

I gave up on it after a while, haven't touched the game since that stuff started happening.

The Generations port definitely is poor as well and I've had my issues, but it's nothing compared to what I've experienced with Lost World.

Oh and SA2B on Steam doesn't work for me anymore either. It used to, but now it freezes after the intro.

Yeah, Sonic PC ports are something of a mess. With Lost World, I had to keep rebooting the game turning the cheat on and off to get through bits of the game. In 30FPS grinding levels are unplayable. 

I had the same issue with SA2, and I fixed it by using the integrated graphics in the launcher rather than forcing it to use my Nvidia card. Still runs at 60FPS and all that. 

On 7/29/2016 at 2:17 AM, Sami said:

If it turns out that this actually wasn't pre-rendered CGI and this actually is what Sonic will look like in-game... then I'm kind of disappointed. See, I really liked what SEGA were doing with Modern Sonic's design and how they were gradually making him look shorter; take Sonic Runners for example:

JnCws6E-1024x408-750x299.png

(the Runners look didn't work as well for Omega and Big, but the other characters looked really cool)

I get that if both Classic and Modern are going to be in the same game then they'll want to exaggerate the differences between the two, but still, I'm really hoping the Runners look will stick around. There were parts of that game that were worth salvaging.

(also, I could never stand how flipping massive modern Sonic's hands are when Marza animates him - yeah I'm that nitpicky:wacko:)

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Armstrong said:

The problem with Generations is that requires a decent CPU to avoid performance issues, I personally never have performance issues and even used an older card like the HD 6870.

I hope Sega concentrate on getting 60fps on all consoles, frankly try to play on consoles is was a punishment with that horrendous framerates.

I know people with $1000 gaming rigs who still can't run Chemical Plant very well, but can run arguably more powerful games perfectly fine.  It's weird.