Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

You know, it's actually quite probable that Sonic's friends will be in the game. It's about a 'resistance', and I'd assume a resistance would need a number of people to be in it :P . Sonic's friends are the likeliest bet. Doesn't mean they will be playable though. And knowing the last few games, they probably won't.

I mean, to be honest, we have a pretty good idea what this is. It's going to be like Sonic Generations but with new levels and a story about a resistance against Eggman in an apocalyptic setting.  

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Mel said:

You know, it's actually quite probable that Sonic's friends will be in the game. It's about a 'resistance', and I'd assume a resistance would need a number of people to be in it :P . Sonic's friends are the likeliest bet. Doesn't mean they will be playable though. And knowing the last few games, they probably won't.

I mean, to be honest, we have a pretty good idea what this is. It's going to be like Sonic Generations but with new levels and a story about a resistance against Eggman in an apocalyptic setting.  

It's just a tag line for now.

Let's look back at a few things

Eggman has for various games now formed an army of robots and Sonic has stopped him. So Sonic was a resistance to Eggman's plot.

At this point we know that Classic Sonic will join Sonic. So in this sense Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic can be the resistance to Eggman(s)'s plot. No need for any other playable character.

#JointheResistance is obviously a marketing PR trick, but it could very well be based on the game too. A bit like #HunttheTruth, although that ended up being somewhat deceptive, so who knows xD .

It's an apocalyptic setting, it isn't completely out of the question. Not certain, but probably/possible depending on your outlook.

I also don't think there will be other playable characters, as I said.

1 minute ago, Mel said:

#JointheResistance is obviously a marketing PR trick, but it could very well be based on the game too.

It's an apocalyptic setting, it isn't completely out of the question. Not certain, but probably/possible depending on your outlook.

It still doesnt change the fact that the tagline proves that other characters will appear or join the resistance. Just the two Sonics on their own can be the resistance.

1 minute ago, Tails spin said:

It still doesnt change the fact that the tagline proves that other characters will appear or join the resistance. Just the two Sonics on their own can be the resistance.

I think its safe to assume that a resistance would include more than just those two. And also, its likely going off the last games.

Lost World had Amy, Knuckles and Tails.

Generations had everyone.

Colors had Tails.

Unleashed also had Tails.

It's likely that the other characters will be in.

It could just be the two Sonics, but resistance indicates a group, rather than just two people.

• Thumbs Up 1

The tagline doesn't prove anything definitive other than there is a resistance. The resistance could simply be the two Sonics, especially when you remember that the characters haven't tried to do shit since Sonic 06.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Mel said:

I think its safe to assume that a resistance would include more than just those two. And also, its likely going off the last games.

Lost World had Amy, Knuckles and Tails.

Generations had everyone.

Colors had Tails.

Unleashed also had Tails.

It's likely that the other characters will be in.

Lost World: Amy and Knuckles didn't do diddly squat and Tails was an obstacle

Generations: Everyone was just a cheerleader

Colors: Tails made the Wisp thing but it was buggy other than that he didn;t do anything

Unleashed: Never played it so I can't give my opinon on it but I can safely say that Tails hardly did much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mel said:

I think its safe to assume that a resistance would include more than just those two.

It really doesn't need to, though. I expect at least some other characters will show up, even recent Sonic games haven't been completely devoid of characters beyond Sonics and Eggmen, but we have no way to guess who and in what capacity, if any.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

The tagline doesn't prove anything definitive other than there is a resistance. The resistance could simply be the two Sonics, especially when you remember that the characters haven't tried to do shit since Sonic 06.

The characters have had a prominent role since Generations. You might not like what they have been doing, but they have been in the games. Also count the emphasis of the characters in Boom.

It would be surprising if they weren't in the game.

A resistance usually implies more than just two characters. It could just be the Sonics, but it's unlikely given the presence of the friends since Generations.

I know you all don't like how the characters have been used, I don't. The characters will probably do fuck all in this game and not be playable. But they will probably be in. A resistance of Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy is likely, especially after their resurgence with Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mel said:

The characters have had a prominent role since Generations. You might not like what they have been doing, but they have been in the games. Also count the emphasis of the characters in Boom.

A resistance usually implies more than just two characters. It could just be the Sonics, but it's unlikely given the presence of the friends since Generations.

I know you all don't like how the characters have been used, I don't. The characters will probably do fuck all in this game and not be playable. But they will probably be in. A resistance of Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Amy is likely, especially after their resurgence with Boom.

We aren't getting no where here. Just going around in circles on the same point. That at this point regardless of the definition of a resistance, in the current state that we know the resistance is just Sonic and Classic Sonic. 

If, but a big if, this game is about Eggman being so powerful, that he causes mass destruction and steadily becoming its ruler that it's absolutely needed for Sonic to band with his friends (and maybe GUN?) to stand a chance. No Monster of the Week, no obscure power source... just Eggman's robots. Then that'd be the game I wanted, a game that establishes him as a huge threat.

Only downside would be Classic Sonic. Meh. Guess could see him as being another necessity to defeat Eggman.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tails spin said:

We aren't getting no where here. Just going around in circles on the same point. That at this point regardless of the definition of a resistance, in the current state that we know the resistance is just Sonic and Classic Sonic. 

It isn't a definitive theory, but it's a theory that isn't completely absurd.

It's an apocalyptic setting and Eggman has taken over the world. That isn't definitive, but highly implied by the trailer. We know from the past record of the last games that the friends are likely to be in. 'Join the resistance' could just be a meta PR Marketing technique about 'fan resistance' to Eggman, but it could also be about Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy's resistance. 

I mean, really, this is not a controversial opinion.

Yes, it could just be Modern and Classic Sonic. But it's unlikely that the friends won't be in, and if they are in they will be helping Sonic. That's a resistance against Eggman.

I literally have no idea why this is raising so much scepticism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Mel said:

The bolded is pretty disingenuous because for one, I've not made the argument they've been physically absent, and two, we all know this discussion is being conducted in order to answer the assumptive question of whether or not characters will have significant story and/or playable roles comparable to pre-Unleashed games.

The fact is, only Tails has been prominent in the games as a story character, and even then you can make an easy argument his role has been significantly downplayed since Sonic 06 to the point that he doesn't even need to be there either.

So ignoring Tails, most of the cast aside from Amy weren't even in Unleashed despite it also featuring a world-altering event as seen here in 2017, and Amy didn't do shit except make Sonic feel bad.

No one else was in Colors.

Many characters were in Generations, but they had extremely minor assist roles and otherwise just hung out near their respective areas doing absolutely fuck all to help. Indeed, the one time you think they would've did something- when the Sonics got knocked out- they just sat back and sung sweet nothings to him to wake him back up. Even in Heroes they volunteered to help with Metal Sonic.

Knuckles and Amy were in Lost World but did nothing.

So, with this current precedent of absolute shit use of characters, no one has any reason to believe at this stage that it's going to be some Adventure-esque extravaganza where everyone who appears is playable and active in meaningful ways. If they're in, it's probably going to be like in Gens or Lost World, aka disappointing to the max.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

So, with this current precedent of absolute shit use of characters, no one has any reason to believe at this stage that it's going to be some Adventure-esque extravaganza where everyone who appears is playable and active in meaningful ways.

I didn't say it was. It probably won't be like Adventure.

I said the friends could just be in a resistance. That was literally it.

You even posted where I said this

" The characters will probably do fuck all in this game and not be playable" :/ 

Again, this is not controversial.

I'm confused. My original post you quoted doesn't actually contradict the possibility that other characters could be in, so I'm not sure why you quoted me and elaborated on that argument.

Just now, Nepenthe said:

I'm confused. My original post you quoted doesn't actually contradict the possibility that other characters could be in, so I'm not sure why you quoted me and elaborated on that argument.

You said the resistance could just be two Sonic's. I agree, it could be.

However, I think that its more likely that the resistance are the friends too. That's the point of contention.

1 minute ago, Mel said:

However, I think that its more likely that the resistance are the friends too. That's the point of contention.

As of right now I hate the word resistance. Cuz it's becoming a loaded word when it really shouldn't be. 

2 minutes ago, Mel said:

What are you basing the chances of likelihood on when the only character that has consistently appeared since Sonic Team pushed the cast aside has been Tails?

Just gonna leave my personal wants from this game

Whether or not classic sonic plays like he does in generations I just hope that they don't keep on adding stupid vertical platforming sections that have no place in a game about speed and flow. if I'm standing still and waiting seconds for a platform to move just so I can make a jump then I better be doing something wrong. Even If I pick the wrong route I think there should always be a way to keep my momentum and recover from mistakes. Just watched some more gameplay from sonic mania and seeing sections where you are standing still and waiting for a platform to take you to your destinations just makes me wonder what the creators were thinking.

I pray that improved parkour makes a return or maybe a smoother N+ styled walljump. anything so that even if they make the mistake of adding that kind of platforming there will most likely be a method to bypass it that doesn't include glitches. Although unlikely it would be great if modern sonic had a spindaash so that there would be an instant way to switch directions which I feel would give them more options with level design.

I would be happy about more playable characters and do hope we get a game that is more than half 3d. 

While i definitely prefer a darker tone I don't care that much as long as the writing stops being garbage.

Those vertical platforming sections are in every 2D Sonic game, it's typical platformer fare. They really only slow you down if you absolutely "have" to wait, usually you can breeze past them same as any other when you're able to memorize the level.

Is not so bad, basically.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Those vertical platforming sections are in every 2D Sonic game, it's typical platformer fare. They really only slow you down if you absolutely "have" to wait, usually you can breeze past them same as any other when you're able to memorize the level.

It's typical bad design sonic is not mario and if they want to make a sonic game they can't just jam in things from other platformers and expect it to fit the game and it being in every 2d sonic game is exactly why it bothers me so much. My entire point was that I hated the ones where you have no choice to wait and if it happens even once a level it happens to much. 

On a side note I want your skill at the game to do you better than knowing what's coming up. I prefer when coordination is more important than reaction time and memorization.

Just now, flaresakithasol said:

But aren't most sonic games platforming after one or two levels

Because you are a platformer does not mean you can't have momentum and flow. I am not saying sonic should stop being a platformer I'd probably argue for more platforming. However when the "platforming" involves to much staying still and wait I feel like that is not suitable for a sonic game and I see other platformers that give a better sense of speed and momentum than sonic does.

I guess the game will have the same gameplay of Generations, I just hope they improve the camera as been one of the biggest problems with 3D Sonic.

Just now, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

It's typical bad design sonic is not mario and if they want to make a sonic game they can't just jam in things from other platformers and expect it to fit the game and it being in every 2d sonic game is exactly why it bothers me so much. My entire point was that I hated the ones where you have no choice to wait and if it happens even once a level it happens to much. 

On a side note I want your skill at the game to do you better than knowing what's coming up. I prefer when coordination is more important than reaction time and memorization.

I don't really see it as bad design, Sonic games always tend to have slower sections that rely more on skill than memorization...but just as well Sonic has also always been about memorization and reaction. You get better the more you play and it doesn't reward trying to rush through levels and it either punishes you via inconvenience or you just get hurt...maybe die. These slower sections are often short too, just to brace the player for the next part of the level.