Awoo.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- Platinum Games "Tara has been kicked from the game"

Badnik Mechanic

On 3/15/2016 at 5:25 PM, The Deleter said:

Hmm, looking at the IGN video, the game doesn't look all that fun in singleplayer for a Platinum game. Combat seems lower-quality almost, definitely more shallow than their usual games, and the AI characters really clutter up the gameplay. Of course, if the AI weren't there, it'd probably be too boring and unwieldy with just one turtle trying to take on Bebop. Might be decent, but eh.

On the other hand, the game looks like it'll be really fun with Multiplayer, with all the special moves having effects for the whole team, team-up moves, the parkour, oh the parkour! That'll be tons of fun to use freely and race your friends across the city to the next missions.The Bebop boss looks like it'll be at it's peak with all the players having to sync up perfectly against him to do any real damage, and messing around in the hub just tackling missions together seems like it'll be a blast.

Definitely seems like the game to play with friends online first and foremost.

Oh, and the pricing for the games has also been revealed. $40 for the PS360 versions, and $50 for the PS4/XB1 versions. Not the lowest they could go, but at least it's better than the full price Transformers Devastation was at.

I'm going to assume that the game is balanced depending on how many players are in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Donnie trailer is out!

New tricks include what might be his Gravity Gauntlet (Or just a straight-up arm cannon) and a...giant spirit slam attack. VERY curious to see how much damage THAT can cause.

1 minute ago, Rocket Prince CC14 said:

Donnie trailer is out!

New tricks include what might be his Gravity Gauntlet (Or just a straight-up arm cannon) and a...giant spirit slam attack. VERY curious to see how much damage THAT can cause.

I seriously can't wait to play as Donnie. Looks like my favourite turtle's gonna be packing defensive, and long range attacks, something that seems like a very deadly combo.

Looks nice, but I would have really preferred if they had choses to adapt Dan Duncan or Ben Bates artstyle though. Not a fan of Mateus Santolouco's style.

12 hours ago, Toby said:

Looks nice, but I would have really preferred if they had choses to adapt Dan Duncan or Ben Bates artstyle though. Not a fan of Mateus Santolouco's style.

Being fair, wasn't Mateus Santolouco's the main artstyle since City Fall? Personally, I see his artstyle as the best in the series so far (I can't really remember Ben Bate's take on the characters though)

IDW TMNT doesn't really have a standard style, but Santolouco's is easily the most recognizable for that particular version of TMNT as he's consistently done the most work. His style even influenced most of the artists in one way or the other with a few exceptions (Bates being one of them). Even Duncan adjusted his designs for the Turtles (IMO, for the worst) when he did the final issue of "Turtles of Time" to fit with Santolouco's style.

I actually wouldn't mind if they were styled after Bates's Turtles, I think they strike a good balance that's somewhat similar to the old Mirage takes:

idw_tmnt_limited_color_sketch_01_by_benb

But I'm a fan of Santolouco's, so I can't say I was bothered. I think his style translated quite nicely into 3D.

Well yeah. For better or for worse, Matues' work is the face of the IDW Turtles now, and I completely understand why the game developers made their choice. I still don't care for it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-order incentives revealed. Pre-ordering from Gamestop will get you these Rock 'N Roll costumes for the Turtles based on a figure series from the vintage line:

2v9ybnt.jpg

20svhfl.jpg

While pre-ordering from the Xbox Store, Playstation Store, or Steam will net you these Samurai costumes (Apparently based on the Turtles in Time mini-series from IDW.):

2csfiqb.jpg

Nice to see that any pre-order skins aren't really super necessary ones. The nods are neat, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Rocket Prince CC14 said:

Pre-order incentives revealed. Pre-ordering from Gamestop will get you these Rock 'N Roll costumes for the Turtles based on a figure series from the vintage line:

2v9ybnt.jpg

20svhfl.jpg

While pre-ordering from the Xbox Store, Playstation Store, or Steam will net you these Samurai costumes (Apparently based on the Turtles in Time mini-series from IDW.):

2csfiqb.jpg

Nice to see that any pre-order skins aren't really super necessary ones. The nods are neat, though.

Can we agree that Mohawk Donnie is best Donnie?

Oh good, cut up digital content exclusively made as pre-orders for different store fronts. Safe to stay I'm waiting until the game is actually out. Yeah, they're just skins, but on principle I can't support it. Disappointed.

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Oh good, cut up digital content exclusively made as pre-orders for different store fronts. Safe to stay I'm waiting until the game is actually out. Yeah, they're just skins, but on principle I can't support it. Disappointed.

They'll likely be released as DLC a month later if Transformers Devastation's handling of costumes is anything to go by. Right now they're pretty much just free, early stuff.

Also, totally going for the Gamestop costumes; Leo's costume is just too rad to pass up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well if that's the case, then really that's even more of a meh incentive to use to grab people. I get skins that will likely be available in a month. Fun. Digital content as pre-order incentives I'm just in general not a fan of, so this game isn't really anything super "omg wtf". It's the game industry in 2016. Still sad to see that companies feel the need to do it to get people interested.

I still don't know what to think of this game, except... It looks like a PS2 era game... Not very promising IMO.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Well if that's the case, then really that's even more of a meh incentive to use to grab people. I get skins that will likely be available in a month. Fun. Digital content as pre-order incentives I'm just in general not a fan of, so this game isn't really anything super "omg wtf". It's the game industry in 2016. Still sad to see that companies feel the need to do it to get people interested.

Well we weren't getting them for free in the first place, were we? I don't think it's much of an incentive, just a bonus little costume pack. Unlike, say, 20% off a game for a preorder, or a limited edition collectors pack.

If you're buying the game at launch, you're buying the game at launch. What's the difference if you're getting a neat little free thing that you can get from the store anyways by shopping at one store as opposed to another? 

Well the pre order content is still being split up depending on the store, and pre-ordering in many instances isn't really all that necessary as digital releases and tons of  physical copies are things. It only really ever benefits the companies. Again, this probably moreso just stems from my distaste in general of how pre-orders are 99% badly handled and uneccesary they end up being. Cut out digital content distributed to separate retailers, is still to me not right, whether it's a skin or not. (Look at watch dogs for the most extreme example) And companies don't do pre-order bonuses usually just for funsies as a bonus. They're literally put there as incentive to pre-order. Kinda the point. Especially when talking about GameStop. On principle, I don't support support pre-orders unless I feel I need to, or the companies truly won me over and has my trust.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I've never said anything about the visuals.

Then what do you mean by PS2 game? 

It feels like it could've been a PS2 game. There's nothing new or really exciting, the way the game plays also feels like a typical PS2 hack n' slash. The visuals look dated, despite the cell shade art style, but that isn't so important. I dunno, it feels like I've already played this game.

36 minutes ago, Jango said:

It feels like it could've been a PS2 game. There's nothing new or really exciting, the way the game plays also feels like a typical PS2 hack n' slash. The visuals look dated, despite the cell shade art style, but that isn't so important. I dunno, it feels like I've already played this game.

Except, yknow, you haven't, and you could totally be wrong. This is a major assumption on your part. How do you know how the game plays and feels when all you've seen are screens and a few trailers?

Alao when you say it looks like a ps2 game, people are gonna assume you mean visually.

There's a lot of gameplay footage from GameSpot. I've played almost every TMNT game, maybe you don't know, but I'm a major fan of the Turtles. This one doesn't looks like anything new for me, there are 3 Konami games on the PS2 that look and play the damn same. I bet you, it will be that 3-4 hours long game, repetitive as fuck... I want to be wrong, tho.

I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt since platinums developing and to me personally this looks way different compared to the older games (in a couple of ways i'd say it looks better). Plus, ninja parkour in a game like this is going to be a real treat especially finding good ways to utilize it in a fight.

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey trailer, featuring some coooooooool-looking Krang base/possibly Technodrome footage!

Nope, he's confirmed to be played by Nolan North.