Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

Even though I don't plan on getting the Switch, that Mario Odyssey thing might be the first Mario game I've ever been legitimately interested in trying out. Ever.

I couldn't help the thought crossing my mind that a lot of the stuff it has would be universally hated if it were in a Sonic game though. Different kind of game. Different medium. I know. It still wasn't something I could stop myself from thinking though.

Although maybe people do hate it for all I know. I have no idea what the reaction to any of this stuff is. I was at work all day and only saw snippets of the presentation from SomecallmeJohnny's video. Gonna watch the Jim Sterling one now.

39 minutes ago, JezMM said:

People worried about the online service should remember we're going to get several months of it for free at launch to find out whether it's better than Wii U's, if not firsthand then from word of mouth.  It seems a bit presumptious to assume it's going to be the exact same quality as current Nintendo online but charged for.

Well, the only thing we have to go off of concerning online is their previous experience in the area, and their previous experience is pretty shoddy. It might be good that they're doing the free trial out of a genuine interest to engage the community and use it to make backend changes, but right now what it comes across is that they're expecting us to put faith in them to justify the cost of a service that was previously free when, again, I still have trouble in MK8 matches finding free lobbies when searching within the region. Like, you're telling me there's no one in North or South America playing? Bull to the shit.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ok, I totally want this carry bag, after I got one for my wii-u, this sorta thing is perfect

pr-sheet-1501404-01-everywhere-messenger

should be at launch and at 30 bucks, well prefer this over a individual carry case because I travel a ton. wiiu one was from another company, but this looks solid

42 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

What exactly are people going to play on it for that time? Mario Kart comes 1 month after the online free period.

Splatoon is cowing out near the back end of that free period.

Is there actually anything that is going to draw the crowds on mass for the entire free window?

From launch to the end of the period. What is this systems rocket league? Doom (90's), Halo, Call of duty. The one game that everybody will want to play the multiplayer of?

Other than Mario Kart which is just an upgrade, what is the game that's going to be showcasing the online for the whole free period?

Also many people are saying wait until E3. Well... that's 3 months into the party. Unless your a day 1 buyer you won't get the free time.

Considering pre-orders are constantly selling out everywhere there'll be a fairly good userbase to judge, and there'll be several months of Mario Kart and Splatoon even if they're not launch games.  If you're not a Day 1 buyer, media and word of mouth is there to say "yes basically I've had no connection or lag issues at all and the social app is really nice" etc.  And uh, yeah, Splatoon would be that killer app for Nintendo, game's pretty popular.

It's far from ideal but nothing is stopping them from giving free trials out as promotions, events or a regular, fixed deal for newcomers later on, as most subscription based online services tend to do.  I can't say I've ever seen one offer half a year of free service to introduce the concept.

Overall I'm just being positive that if they've decided to start charging now there's a reason for it.  I really don't play my Wii U online that much and you can rest assured I won't be paying for the online if it's the same quality, I have Overwatch I can live without Splatoon just fine.  If it's anything like the first game I'll have probably had my fill of Splatoon 2 by the time the trial period is over anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then again, I've seen several places report their stores were under-allocated for pre-orders, so pre-orders selling out may not be the best judge of user base. 

• Thumbs Up 5

31 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Considering pre-orders are constantly selling out everywhere there'll be a fairly good userbase to judge,

GameCube Adapter.

Amiibos.

Pokemon Go Plus.

Nes classic.

To name a few, Nintendo are notorious for under stocking retailers just so they can create an artificial demand.

Game seek today said they only had 1000 units allocated (which they sold out of, probably had something to do with them only charging £200 for it) and they've now come out and said they don't think they'll receive anywhere near that number come launch day.

Also, basically other than an updated pretty existing game and 1 month of a sequel title.

There's nothing?

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

GameCube Adapter.

Amiibos.

Pokemon Go Plus.

Nes classic.

To name a few, Nintendo are notorious for under stocking retailers just so they can create an artificial demand.

Game seek today said they only had 1000 units allocated (which they sold out of, probably had something to do with them only charging £200 for it) and they've now come out and said they don't think they'll receive anywhere near that number come launch day.

Also, basically other than an updated pretty existing game and 1 month of a sequel title.

There's nothing?

Obviously we haven't seen everything. Damon Baker stated on Twitter that there are more announcements and updates coming. 

On another note, Monster Boy is releasing for Switch. 

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/14/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-is-coming-to-nintendo-switch-in-2017/

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Chili Dawg said:

don't you fuckers tell me this isn't the hypest shit

snipperclips-ds1-670x335-constrain.jpg

*finds some gameplay*

This is gonna be the cutest way to lose a friend.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Operationgamer17 said:

Obviously we haven't seen everything. Damon Baker stated on Twitter that there are more announcements and updates coming. 

When it comes to the gaming industry, judge on what you can see and confirmed not on what someone says is coming. 

• Thumbs Up 2

About the 1 2 Switch thing...It's following the same vein as Wii Sports and Nintendoland did before it, so there's nothing too outragrous there...

...but it's not a pack in title for it but a standalone $50-60 game? Hahahaha get outta 'ere.

Snipperclips is adorable as fuk and can be difficult as hell if it got some challenge in there. And I'm not sure if it was said in the statuses but the asthetics are kinda Gumball-esque. So plus there for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

57 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

When it comes to the gaming industry, judge on what you can see and confirmed not on what someone says is coming. 

A fair outlook, but not one I choose to go by, I don't see the point in talking as if the current situation is the be-all-end-all.

Regardless I'd be plenty satisfied with Mario Kart and Splatoon, two of Nintendo's biggest online action games after Smash, to serve as testbeds for the online service, but if one really needs more online service evidence with other, albeit less intensive, games than those.  Puyo Puyo Tetris and Super Bomberman R will be available from launch, and Arms and Redout are out Q2 like Splatoon 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

*finds some gameplay*

This is gonna be the cutest way to lose a friend.

Ever noticed that there are a lot of Nintendo games that ruins friendships? Who the hell said that Nintendo brings people together again?

1 hour ago, TCB said:

And I'm not sure if it was said in the statuses but the asthetics are kinda Gumball-esque. So plus there for me. 

I said that in the statuses!! Glad someone agrees. c:

When I first saw it in the montage I wasn't sure about it, but after seeing the Treehouse footage I was completely set on buying it. Can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well we've got a confirmed launch lineup for the UK at least

The Switch has just five games available when it launches on 3rd March, Nintendo confirmed. These are:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Super Bomberman R
  • Skylanders Imaginators
  • Just Dance 2017

26 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Mmmm weak lineup but oh well bomberman and Zelda

Also I doubt Nintendo is going to give long trails out for online. Maybe 15 days at best. But it's time to get up with the big kid systems and start paying a yearly fee. It will take time but I know will get this ball rolling

Without Zelda, that list is honestly unspeakable for its tiny size. I can only hope that Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey aren't the only big hitters coming out later on in '17. E3 don't fail me now!

I'll probably get the system for my birthday in late June, but likely only with Zelda. 1-2 Switch looks fun, like a real world Wario Ware, but is it really $60 of fun? Ehhhhhhh... we'll see. I'm doubtful.

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

A fair outlook, but not one I choose to go by, I don't see the point in talking as if the current situation is the be-all-end-all.

Regardless I'd be plenty satisfied with Mario Kart and Splatoon, two of Nintendo's biggest online action games after Smash, to serve as testbeds for the online service, but if one really needs more online service evidence with other, albeit less intensive, games than those.  Puyo Puyo Tetris and Super Bomberman R will be available from launch, and Arms and Redout are out Q2 like Splatoon 2.

I envy your faith and trust in the industry.

...five games?

Fucking FIVE???

11124018.gif

For fuck's sake Ninty. I want to like you, but that's absolutely disgraceful. I don't think even the WiiU launched with a lineup that awful.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, JezMM said:

Overall I'm just being positive that if they've decided to start charging now there's a reason for it.

mario-money.jpg

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

That's awful. I thought this was delayed to have games?

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess it was delayed to have GAME. That game being Breath of the Wild. I'd say Nintendo's worst launch ever was the 3DS' though, at least this has one killer game as opposed to a bunch of tech demos and a port of Street Fighter IV.

Edit: Well and in Japan they actually get a Dragon Quest game at launch, which is great for them but doesn't mean anything for us.

The price of the Switch, and particularly the price of the games and accessaries, is going to kill it.

That's without discussing the low power of the machine. All this for the redundant nature of the machine's portable gimmick. Handheld gaming is dead, the mobile market killed it.

I honestly don't think Nintendo has long in the hardware business.

The price of the games? They're 30-60, which is standard to the industry. As for handheld gaming being dead...uh, what's the 3DS (I swear I've heard this argument somewhere before...)? Phones still not, and show no signs of, actually being able to match the quality of console and handheld titles due to their very nature being too fiddly for the vast majority of gaming genres. The only thing you said that makes sense is the accessory price issue, which to be frank definitely is one. Paying 90 dollars for an extra dock is ludicrous.

• Thumbs Up 5